IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

I think it’s because of the complete apathy of the majority of voters who hang on to his every word. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2021 at 07:29, MikeO said:

Yes. Most are arriving at the air station at which my brother works.

Locals are not too hot on this, though, some waking up to find their homes one side or other of a massive security fence. It's not easy when you're trapped in your home for days on end. Still, on balance, this event should benefit Cornwall and its people.

Incidentally, I wrote a letter to the editor of the New York Times asking them to please refer to Cornwall UK and not to Cornwall England.

PS - I enjoyed reading this article at the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/story/20210606-cornwall-the-uks-forgotten-fifth-nation

Could Cummings bring the current government down, Boris must be wondering what the next revelation will be shared by Cummings. 
Matt Handcock is an absolute joke anyone with any backbone or self respect would resign his position, after his boss had made the comments that Boris and Cummings did about his capabilities, this Tory government is being run by a bunch of     inept chancers there’s not a decent one on the front bench, how any Tory voter can back this bunch is beyond belief, surely they most be embarrassed by them as we all are. 

OK while I accept the Libdems aren't exactly revered in these parts it's nice to see the Tories get a bloody nose finally. The ultimate safe seat, 16,000 majority turned into 8,000 deficit, you have to laugh. Also Labour's worst by-election result in the party's history, with 622 votes, crazy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57527533

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

OK while I accept the Libdems aren't exactly revered in these parts it's nice to see the Tories get a bloody nose finally. The ultimate safe seat, 16,000 majority turned into 8,000 deficit, you have to laugh. Also Labour's worst by-election result in the party's history, with 622 votes, crazy.

We have to get rid of the Tories, as a committed Labour supporter I don’t care who takes the seats of the Tories I just want them gone, give me a LibDem, Green Party or Monster raving lunatic Party government just don’t give me another Tory government. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Labour are even more unelectable under Starmer than they were with Corbyn. He needs to fuck off. 

6 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Labour are even more unelectable under Starmer than they were with Corbyn. He needs to fuck off. 

Seems that way but I don't see who will realistically turn them around, I'm a big Jess Phillips fan but I don't see her getting the job anytime soon.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Seems that way but I don't see who will realistically turn them around, I'm a big Jess Phillips fan but I don't see her getting the job anytime soon.

It would help if they actually had any policies under this idiot and also if they didn't just go along with the government on everything. Has he forgotten that they're the opposition?

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

It would help if they actually had any policies under this idiot and also if they didn't just go along with the government on everything. Has he forgotten that they're the opposition?

I literally haven't got a clue what Labour stand for at the moment.

I suppose that is maybe one step up from knowing what they stand for and not voting for them in a million years under Corbyn but it is still a mile away from an electable position.

The Labour candidate I have always most admired is Yvette Cooper. She always cuts through the bullshit and gets to the point. She should be a prominent member of the Shadow Cabinet but it appears she isn't flavour of the month with either of the last two leaders.

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Boris Johnson accepts Matt Hancock’s apology for breaching social distancing rules and ‘considers matter closed’ – live | Politics | The Guardian

A longtime friend of Matt Hancock would have gone through a “very rigorous” process before being given a job at the health department, Grant Shapps has said, after photographs emerged of Hancock kissing the woman.

Uh-huh.

Something like: 'Gina, you were at university with Matt, weren't you? You have the job, then.'

33 minutes ago, Formby said:

Boris Johnson accepts Matt Hancock’s apology for breaching social distancing rules and ‘considers matter closed’ – live | Politics | The Guardian

A longtime friend of Matt Hancock would have gone through a “very rigorous” process before being given a job at the health department, Grant Shapps has said, after photographs emerged of Hancock kissing the woman.

Uh-huh.

Something like: 'Gina, you were at university with Matt, weren't you? You have the job, then.'

£15,000 for 15-20 days a year? Few jobs like that would do wonders for the pension fund!

I just read the cover story from this month's edition of The Atlantic. Titled "The Minister of Chaos", it was a story all about Boris Johnson. After reading it, I realized how little I actually knew about him and his politics and how he is running the country. 

The article mentioned that many of his policies would be considered far left of center here in the states, which surprised me. There was also some decent time spent on the comparisons between he and Trump. The biggest one I see are their "anti-establishment" stances (which helped propel both to the highest offices in the land), not to mention the xenophobia (which he denies, obviously.)

One major difference between the two that I found fascinating is that Trump's ego is so large (or tiny and fragile, depending on how you look at it), that he will never admit to being wrong, or admit to not being the best at something. Johnson plays up the role of bumbling fool and is openly self-depricating. That makes sense to me as a tactic to use in order to win voters. I will never understand how so many Americans are drawn to Trump's narcissism. 

To make a long story short, it was a fascinating article on what appears to be a fascinating person. I couldn't disagree more with the majority of his policies and beliefs, but he's definitely a character.

53 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I just read the cover story from this month's edition of The Atlantic. Titled "The Minister of Chaos", it was a story all about Boris Johnson. After reading it, I realized how little I actually knew about him and his politics and how he is running the country. 

The article mentioned that many of his policies would be considered far left of center here in the states, which surprised me. There was also some decent time spent on the comparisons between he and Trump. The biggest one I see are their "anti-establishment" stances (which helped propel both to the highest offices in the land), not to mention the xenophobia (which he denies, obviously.)

One major difference between the two that I found fascinating is that Trump's ego is so large (or tiny and fragile, depending on how you look at it), that he will never admit to being wrong, or admit to not being the best at something. Johnson plays up the role of bumbling fool and is openly self-depricating. That makes sense to me as a tactic to use in order to win voters. I will never understand how so many Americans are drawn to Trump's narcissism. 

To make a long story short, it was a fascinating article on what appears to be a fascinating person. I couldn't disagree more with the majority of his policies and beliefs, but he's definitely a character.

Interesting take but calling Boris "anti-establishment" is just plain wrong, as you say he has the bumbling fool image but that's not him playing it up, it's just that he's a bumbling fool....and he's totally establishment (Eton and Oxford).

2 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Interesting take but calling Boris "anti-establishment" is just plain wrong, as you say he has the bumbling fool image but that's not him playing it up, it's just that he's a bumbling fool....and he's totally establishment (Eton and Oxford).

Maybe anti-establishment was the wrong phrase. From what I read, he's very different from previous PM's in that he's not as proper and, for lack of a better term, presidential. That's what people apparently loved about Trump, was that he wasn't like "a normal politician." 

It seems to me that Johnson has sort of that same streak in him, that he's not your typical government leader.

8 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Maybe anti-establishment was the wrong phrase. From what I read, he's very different from previous PM's in that he's not as proper and, for lack of a better term, presidential. That's what people apparently loved about Trump, was that he wasn't like "a normal politician." 

It seems to me that Johnson has sort of that same streak in him, that he's not your typical government leader.

He's an absolute cunt. And a dangerous one at that.