IGNORED

General Election/UK Politics

johnh

On 09/07/2022 at 15:01, MikeO said:

Just heard on LBC that a journo has tweeted that Johnson plans to stand down on Monday....and put himself up in the leadership election. Very much unconfirmed of course.

I was ill informed:unsure:

Kemi Badenoch looks like an interesting late outsider for me, she was so nowhere that oddschecker didn't have a price for her when the candidates were announced, they only listed the other seven; now she's listed and 4th favourite.

I don't agree with her politics at all reading up on her, but then I don't agree with the politics of any of them (Suella Braverman, in particular, manages to even outdo Priti Patel in the Cruella de Vil clone contest). She does come over as honest and sincere though, which is a very rare trait in a Tory politician.

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Kemi Badenoch looks like an interesting late outsider for me, she was so nowhere that oddschecker didn't have a price for her when the candidates were announced, they only listed the other seven; now she's listed and 4th favourite.

I don't agree with her politics at all reading up on her, but then I don't agree with the politics of any of them (Suella Braverman, in particular, manages to even outdo Priti Patel in the Cruella de Vil clone contest). She does come over as honest and sincere though, which is a very rare trait in a Tory politician.

I very much doubt the Tory members will vote for a black woman. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I think Starmer should throw his hat in the ring he’d probably win it. 

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Tom Tugendhat would get my vote..

Won that debate by a country mile imo, but he won't get to the final two sadly.

Sunak was the very definition of smug, Truss nervy lightweight, Morduant a Thatcher look/soundalike and Badenoch honest but unpleasantly right wing...for my taste obviously.

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Sunak was the very definition of smug, Truss nervy lightweight, Morduant a Thatcher look/soundalike and Badenoch honest but unpleasantly right wing...for my taste obviously.

Sunak is so dangerous.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

I was impressed by Tugenhat. I have seen him a few times in the select committee meetings and you can see that he has a grip of the facts and isn't just repeating the same tired slogans or saying things for effect. 

Truss and Mordaunt were terrible. I thought Badenoch came across as a real person who wasn't afraid to say it how it is but not really on top of the detail.

Sunak is a tough one because I think he is a cut above the three mentioned in the paragraph above but he is slimey. Whilst miles behind Tugenhat, Sunak is the best worst option after him. 

On 15/07/2022 at 23:52, Bailey said:

I was impressed by Tugenhat. I have seen him a few times in the select committee meetings and you can see that he has a grip of the facts and isn't just repeating the same tired slogans or saying things for effect. 

Truss and Mordaunt were terrible. I thought Badenoch came across as a real person who wasn't afraid to say it how it is but not really on top of the detail.

Sunak is a tough one because I think he is a cut above the three mentioned in the paragraph above but he is slimey. Whilst miles behind Tugenhat, Sunak is the best worst option after him. 

As a Tory aren’t you embarrassed with the government front and back benchers, not just because of the fuck ups of the last 6 years, but now they just got rid of Tugenhat and kept Truss in the running, Jesus what sort cocaine are they taking in the Tory wet area’s crack?

4 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He’s been knocked out of race, obviously the Tories still don’t care about public opinion. 

Inevitable, he's a very rare beast, a Tory who actually cares about people who aren't "ABC1's".

Chris Patten was the last notable one I can remember, though quite how they ended up in the nasty party is a bit of a mystery.

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

Inevitable, he's a very rare beast, a Tory who actually cares about people who aren't "ABC1s".

Chris Patten was the last notable one I can remember, though quite how they ended up in the nasty party is a bit of a mystery.

And Ken Clarke I always thought with him it was more about the country than the party. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

As a Tory aren’t you embarrassed with the government front and back benchers, not just because of the fuck ups of the last 6 years, but now they just got rid of Tugenhat and kept Truss in the running, Jesus what sort cocaine are they taking in the Tory wet area’s crack?

I might generally hold more conservative views over any other main party, I am by no means a hard line right wing Tory. 

I couldn't agree more. They are too busy thinking about their own prospects than looking at what the individuals are offering.

The people I like in the party are slowly being sidelined or cast aside. There is no-one left in this contest that I would support and the cabinet has been like that for a while. I cant see how they could win an election at the moment.

I thought the same with Labour under Corbyn where great politicians like Yvette Cooper were cast out for a shadow cabinet of complete idiots. I know a lot wont agree, but I do feel like Labour is now starting to promote the right people again. 

British politics needs a massive shake up because it is in a right mess.

49 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I might generally hold more conservative views over any other main party, I am by no means a hard line right wing Tory. 

I couldn't agree more. They are too busy thinking about their own prospects than looking at what the individuals are offering.

The people I like in the party are slowly being sidelined or cast aside. There is no-one left in this contest that I would support and the cabinet has been like that for a while. I cant see how they could win an election at the moment.

I thought the same with Labour under Corbyn where great politicians like Yvette Cooper were cast out for a shadow cabinet of complete idiots. I know a lot wont agree, but I do feel like Labour is now starting to promote the right people again. 

British politics needs a massive shake up because it is in a right mess.

I don’t think there’s any party that could form a credible government at the moment, I thought the Tories were offered a 2nd chance to get it right but just wasted it. Being as you are the only Tory on here I know who regularly posts I thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what’s happening within the Tory party. 

17 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don’t think there’s any party that could form a credible government at the moment, I thought the Tories were offered a 2nd chance to get it right but just wasted it. Being as you are the only Tory on here I know who regularly posts I thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what’s happening within the Tory party. 

It seems like all they are interested in is point scoring. I am sure there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes (good and bad) but I am not convinced that there are many front line politicians that really care about whats right for the country. Its more about whoever is lining their pockets.

I am utterly bemused by what the Tory rank and file see in Penny Mordaunt. I undertand that you don't have to appeal to every social demographic to get elected, but outside the Tory shires, who the hell would feel she represents them? Utterly lacking in charisma, ineffectual, just bland, blue wallpaper. Liz Truss? Mordaunt-lite, slightly less irritating as she appears earnest, but it's all bluff. Equally incompetent - like her former boss. Sunak I can slightly get - the suit fits, at least - comes across all preppy and serious and confident in that Tory born to rule way - but hardly our Obama. 

Peter Hitchen made a fascinating point some years ago (and I paraphrase as I can't find it - maybe in an interview with Owen Jones) about the Tory party no longer being a 'conservative' party but a vehicle for maintaining power for the sons and daughters of a wealthy elite. The more you see of them, the more you realise it is true. 

The whole political class has failed. Too many people operating in a bubble for their own or their own party's ends. Shabby disgrace.

52 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The thought of Liz Truss potentially being PM is almost as bad as the thought of Boris staying on. 

Yet more completely incompetent leadership.

She has the gravitas of a new-born kitten in the headlight of a Harley Davidson, the only things she has in her favour (for me) are that...

1. She's not Sunak.

2. She waves her hands around a lot (I suspect she thinks that it portrays gravitas).

3. In two years (possibly less, prospect of civil unrest is very real I think) the tories will be unelectable.

4. Her name sounds like trust.

46 minutes ago, RPG said:

Not only that, she has gone from the Remain camp to the Leave camp as well.

Chap in your avatar was a Tory MP, "crossed the floor" to become a Liberal for twenty years, then changed his mind again and went back; just saying.