IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Centre backs need to be 6 foot plus, small centre backs are a waste of time we need people who can win the ball in the air. 
at the moment we are being destroyed on crosses there’s only Keane who can head a ball, I have serious concerns for Godfrey to become a centre back he can’t head a ball. 

27 minutes ago, patto said:

The game has progressed since he played in the prem. 

if you look at the top 6 most have big centre backs the game is changing. 

I would think the opposite is true nowadays, as there's more focus on possession and every player on the pitch being able to play with the ball at your feet. Less of a need for those big, lumbering center backs. 

41 minutes ago, patto said:

The game has progressed since he played in the prem. 

if you look at the top 6 most have big centre backs the game is changing. 

He never played in the Prem - pretty sure he’d have been okay and probably been one of the best players in the world in this era too.

I do get what you’re saying - I prefer taller centre backs but it’s not everything - positioning/reading the game can be just as effective if not more.

12 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I would think the opposite is true nowadays, as there's more focus on possession and every player on the pitch being able to play with the ball at your feet. Less of a need for those big, lumbering center backs. 

It’s ok having possession but you still have to defend free kicks and corners. 
City Liverpool I’d say no one has more possession but they don’t have small centre backs. 

On 09/01/2022 at 11:29, patto said:

It’s ok having possession but you still have to defend free kicks and corners. 
City Liverpool I’d say no one has more possession but they don’t have small centre backs. 

Your point is well taken but height is not the best determinant of aerial prowess/defending. Those two traits are jumping ability and aggression. Us blues should know as Tim Cahill was a legend. Give me a 5'10 pitbull over 6'2 poodle every day of the weekday. We lost seemingly every set piece against Hull and I guarantee you we were the taller side. 

1 hour ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Your point is well taken but height is not the best determinant of aerial prowess/defending. Those two traits are jumping ability and aggression. Us blues should know as Tim Cahill was a legend. Give me a 5'10 pitbull over 6'2 poodle every day of the weekday. We lost seemingly every set piece against Hull and I guarantee you we were the taller side. 

No way where we the taller side there’s only Keane in that team who was over 6 feet tall

17 hours ago, patto said:

No way where we the taller side there’s only Keane in that team who was over 6 feet tall

Sorry but had to find out for sure. Turns out we're both right haha. They absolutely had bigger players than us but our average was a lot better as they had the 3 smallest players on the pitch. I forgot how big of a pain in the arse Eaves was in the air. 

Hull starting outfield players: McLoughlin (6'3)  Eaves (6'3) Bernard (6'2) Greaves (6'1)

Smallwood (5'11) Docherty (5'10) Smith (5'10) Williams (5'8) Honeyman (5'8) Lewis-Potter (5'7)

Everton starting outfield players: Keane (6'2) Gomes (6'2) Rondon (6'2) Godfrey (6'0) Gordon (6'0)

Mykolenko (5'11) Gray (5'11) Coleman (5'10) Kenny (5'9) Allan (5'9)

Last point on height though and this exercise helps solidify. Would anyone on this forum have guessed Keane Gomes and Rondon were the same height? Keane's best attribute is his aerial defending while I wouldn't trust Gomes or Rondon to win a header against my grandma. 

Also sorry for the imperial measuring system. The USA is dumb. 

4 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We still use a lot of imperial over here, we kind of semi embraced metric; vast majority of people would respond in feet/inches if you asked them how tall they are.

Still use miles instead of km also.

6 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Sorry but had to find out for sure. Turns out we're both right haha. They absolutely had bigger players than us but our average was a lot better as they had the 3 smallest players on the pitch. I forgot how big of a pain in the arse Eaves was in the air. 

Hull starting outfield players: McLoughlin (6'3)  Eaves (6'3) Bernard (6'2) Greaves (6'1)

Smallwood (5'11) Docherty (5'10) Smith (5'10) Williams (5'8) Honeyman (5'8) Lewis-Potter (5'7)

Everton starting outfield players: Keane (6'2) Gomes (6'2) Rondon (6'2) Godfrey (6'0) Gordon (6'0)

Mykolenko (5'11) Gray (5'11) Coleman (5'10) Kenny (5'9) Allan (5'9)

Last point on height though and this exercise helps solidify. Would anyone on this forum have guessed Keane Gomes and Rondon were the same height? Keane's best attribute is his aerial defending while I wouldn't trust Gomes or Rondon to win a header against my grandma. 

Haha it’s the only measuring system I know. 
I’m not having Gomez as 6ft 2 👍

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We still use a lot of imperial over here, we kind of semi embraced metric; vast majority of people would respond in feet/inches if you asked them how tall they are.

Still use miles instead of km also.

I've come back into it after 15 years away and I'm struggling. I've no idea what I am in feet and inches or stone and ounces... So archaic :lol: