IGNORED

F1 Chat

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Second one is about what the stewards did, find it very hard to see how Verstappen can be penalised for a mistake the stewards made.

Like I said before, nothing's going to come of these protests but Mercedes have got to do everything they can. At the very least I hope it leads to Masi's removal.

4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Well what should have been a great moment is tarnished.

I still feel like Hamilton had it ripped from him. 11 second lead gone like that must feel horrible for him.

But them's the rules, happens probably every other race, just this time it was momentous given the timing and circumstances. He benefitted hugely from the (stupid) regs in Imola when he got to unlap himself due to a red flag after spending a minute in a gravel trap and finished second when he'd have been out of the points had Russell not taken out Bottas. Swings and roundabouts.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

But them's the rules, happens probably every other race, just this time it was momentous given the timing and circumstances. He benefitted hugely from the (stupid) regs in Imola when he got to unlap himself due to a red flag after spending a minute in a gravel trap and finished second when he'd have been out of the points had Russell not taken out Bottas. Swings and roundabouts.

Except the rules haven’t been followed hence the confusion which is the shame. Such a good battle and it really deserved a clean result, I understand the variables and such but it just feels like a bitter result.

18 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Just heard someone on the radio saying that they should've red flagged it when Latifi crashed, that way both guys restart on new sofys for 5/6 laps; hindsight is 20:20 but I think that would have been the best call.

Yep. Hindsight is brilliant but this would have been much better.

4 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Mercedes have now lodged an intention to appeal the decision of the stewards to dismiss the protest about the result.

This is going to run and run. 

Considering how long this will go on for, I can see Max being handed the trophy at the F1 gala with the title not even "officially" concluded. 

I think it's going to turn very ugly to be honest and I wouldn't rule anything out at this stage (on the levels of when Ferrari threatened to pull out of the sport over proposed rule changes).

23 minutes ago, MikeO said:

They were in relation to Lewis losing the eleven second lead, which is what you referenced, all leads are wiped out every time a safety car is deployed; the restart is the contentious bit.

I didn’t mean his 11 second lead was taken from him because of the rules - merely he was so close to a near perfect race. You can’t control safety cars and such but the events that followed gave a serious leg up to Max and completely shifted the balance. 

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Well what should have been a great moment is tarnished.

I still feel like Hamilton had it ripped from him. 11 second lead gone like that must feel horrible for him.

1 hour ago, Btay said:

I didn’t mean his 11 second lead was taken from him because of the rules - merely he was so close to a near perfect race. You can’t control safety cars and such but the events that followed gave a serious leg up to Max and completely shifted the balance. 

Confused.com.

On 15/12/2021 at 12:15, Bill said:

The top and bottom of it is  ,,,,,,  you never overtake the safety car,  so the race director should be sacked for ordering it.  He definitely cost Hamilton the race and Title. 

You never overtake the safety car unless the race director tells you to, then you do.

No point having a safety car if drivers are allowed to overtake it. The other point is if drivers are given the OK to pass why was Hamilton not given the go ahead.

The biggest injustice ever in the Sport. Hamilton was robbed and the sport Director should be held responsible.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

No point having a safety car if drivers are allowed to overtake it. The other point is if drivers are given the OK to pass why was Hamilton not given the go ahead.

Hamilton was at the front of the race and the whole point of the safety car is that he picks up the race leader and everyone falls in behind him, race leader has never overtaken a safety car and never will. The usual process is then to allow all lapped runners to overtake the safety car (unlapping themselves) so that they don't interfere with the race leaders on the restart. The controversy is that Masi allowed only the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves, if Latifi's crash had happened two laps earlier then all cars would have had time to unlap themselves and the race would have restarted (for the front two) as it did and Verstappen would've won and nobody would have had grounds to complain. 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Hamilton was at the front of the race and the whole point of the safety car is that he picks up the race leader and everyone falls in behind him, race leader has never overtaken a safety car and never will. The usual process is then to allow all lapped runners to overtake the safety car (unlapping themselves) so that they don't interfere with the race leaders on the restart. The controversy is that Masi allowed only the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves, if Latifi's crash had happened two laps earlier then all cars would have had time to unlap themselves and the race would have restarted (for the front two) as it did and Verstappen would've won and nobody would have had grounds to complain. 

But usually all cars have to unlap and many races have finished behind the safety car because there hasn’t been sufficient laps left for all cars to unlap themselves. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

But usually all cars have to unlap and many races have finished behind the safety car because there hasn’t been sufficient laps left for all cars to unlap themselves. 

Absolutely, I was lust clarifying the regulations for Bill as he's obviously not an F1 fan.

I'd just put forward the thought that the reason lapped cars are let through is to get them out of the way of the cars competing at the front; what Masi did achieved exactly that, and it was within his remit to use his own judgment rather than following the rules to the letter.

Mercedes would've taken it very happily had the situation been reversed (and Red Bull would have protested) but nobody can argue that the cars rolling over the line behind the SC would've been anywher near as exciting as how it turned out.

28 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely, I was lust clarifying the regulations for Bill as he's obviously not an F1 fan.

I'd just put forward the thought that the reason lapped cars are let through is to get them out of the way of the cars competing at the front; what Masi did achieved exactly that, and it was within his remit to use his own judgment rather than following the rules to the letter.

Mercedes would've taken it very happily had the situation been reversed (and Red Bull would have protested) but nobody can argue that the cars rolling over the line behind the SC would've been anywher near as exciting as how it turned out.

I agree with Masi that it’s a race and he wanted it to finish with the cars racing, but there’s always going to be a few buts when the guy that wins it has done so by gaining an advantage that he didn’t achieve by his driving ability, I can totally understand why Mercedes feel so  hard done by but as a team they will get over it, but Hamilton may never get the opportunity to win that 8th title again, after driving a pretty much perfect race the title and all time record was taken from him in a less than ideal way. He has to now accept it and move on and try to put it right next season but it will be hard Red Bull are getting stronger every race and will have 2 very strong cars next season. 

11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Toto Wolff...

Hamilton "....will never overcome the pain and the distress that was caused on Sunday.”

Just fuck off Toto, there are millions around the world going through pain and stress that you and Lewis can't begin to imagine, get some fucking perspective.

People just don't think about the words they use. Yeah it was shit and it'll hurt, but it's not the end of the world.