IGNORED

F1 Chat

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Massive disappointment, British GP ruined.

Was indeed, really felt for Leclerc and Lando screwed by his team (again). I fail to understand (all allegiances aside) how someone can get penalised for "causing a crash" which might have had extremely serious consequences, with a slap on the wrist that was never going to affect the outcome of the race.

16 minutes ago, Palfy said:

My support is for Hamilton because like me he’s English, why would my support go to a Belgian. 

So if an Englishman was playing for a German team in the CL final you'd be supporting them over an Everton team (unlikely scenario admittedly) made up totally of non English players? My support goes to Mclaren whoever is driving for them as an English team based a few miles from where I grew up. I support British (not English) drivers as a secondary cause.

And Verstappen is Dutch😉

30 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So if an Englishman was playing for a German team in the CL final you'd be supporting them over an Everton team (unlikely scenario admittedly) made up totally of non English players? My support goes to Mclaren whoever is driving for them as an English team based a few miles from where I grew up. I support British (not English) drivers as a secondary cause.

And Verstappen is Dutch😉

McLaren use a Japanese engine in Honda and an Austrian backer in Red bull, Merc F1 are based in Bracknell with the best of British technicians, I did the Carpentry and Drylining contracts there for the Blue Stone the main contractor, you won’t find a team that is fully made up of all things British, I thought he was born in Belgium. But still I don’t see what’s wrong with me supporting Lewis the driver regardless of what team he drives for. 
Also for the same main contractor I did all the same contracts at Williams F1 in Grove a couple of years before. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I thought he was born in Belgium. 

Yep, he was born in Belgium but went to school and did all of his karting across the border in the Netherlands as he lives a few minutes away from the border. Classes himself as Dutch so races under their flag :).

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

McLaren use a Japanese engine in Honda and an Austrian backer in Red bull, Merc F1 are based in Bracknell with the best of British technicians, I did the Carpentry and Drylining contracts there for the Blue Stone the main contractor, you won’t find a team that is fully made up of all things British, I thought he was born in Belgium. But still I don’t see what’s wrong with me supporting Lewis the driver regardless of what team he drives for. 
Also for the same main contractor I did all the same contracts at Williams F1 in Grove a couple of years before. 

McLaren backed by Red Bull? New on me (and they use Merc engines, not Honda), the fact remains that they are a British team and Mercedes are a German one wherever based or whoever backed by, us being owned by Moshiri doesn't make us an Iranian club.

Also if you sent your lads to Bracknell to work on Merc HQ they'd have struggled big time, sixty miles off course😁

And of course nothing wrong with you, and many others, supporting Lewis, no  issue with that at all. I was his biggest fan when he first broke into F1, just feel differently now for multiple reasons that I've expressed in this thread over the years. What I find very annoying, though it doesn't happen on here, is being labelled a "hater" whose motivation is racism, I'm neither of those.

Personally I just thought it was a racing incident and the punishment was harsh. Neither driver was willing to give an inch and you risk an accident but that's racing - Max turned in thinking he could bully Hamilton like he has earlier in the season and thought Hamilton wouldn't stay the course because he's done his best to avoid an incident in every close battle they'd had before today. But that was never going to happen at Hamilton's home race and needing to get back in the Championship race.

If Verstappen had been thinking clearly he'd have realised he's got the better car, let Hamilton take the lead and live to fight another day, because he more than likely would've got the lead back. But they're competitive men so you're always going to get incidents like this along the way.

I think the whole reaction to it has been way over the top and blown out of proportion but it's done now.

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Personally I just thought it was a racing incident and the punishment was harsh. Neither driver was willing to give an inch and you risk an accident but that's racing - Max turned in thinking he could bully Hamilton like he has earlier in the season and thought Hamilton wouldn't stay the course because he's done his best to avoid an incident in every close battle they'd had before today. But that was never going to happen at Hamilton's home race and needing to get back in the Championship race.

If Verstappen had been thinking clearly he'd have realised he's got the better car, let Hamilton take the lead and live to fight another day, because he more than likely would've got the lead back. But they're competitive men so you're always going to get incidents like this along the way.

I think the whole reaction to it has been way over the top and blown out of proportion but it's done now.

I'd not disagree with any of that, but once the stewards decided Hamilton was guilty of causing a crash they should've given him a penalty that meant something. If they'd said "racing incident" I'd have no problem, but to come to the conclusion that somebody who caused a potentially very serious accident should get a rap on the knuckles (which they did) that wouldn't impact on their result?

28 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd not disagree with any of that, but once the stewards decided Hamilton was guilty of causing a crash they should've given him a penalty that meant something. If they'd said "racing incident" I'd have no problem, but to come to the conclusion that somebody who caused a potentially very serious accident should get a rap on the knuckles (which they did) that wouldn't impact on their result?

True. Genuinely don't think they were right to think he caused but, like you say, if they've decided that then it needed a strong punishment. I think disqualifying him would have been too much, what other options were there above what he got? I know the 10 second penalty was the second most lenient he could have got but I have no idea what other punishments they have available to them.

9 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

True. Genuinely don't think they were right to think he caused but, like you say, if they've decided that then it needed a strong punishment. I think disqualifying him would have been too much, what other options were there above what he got? I know the 10 second penalty was the second most lenient he could have got but I have no idea what other punishments they have available to them.

Ten second step and go the other option I think, so he (or whoever) has to do an extra stop with team not allowed to work on the car. That's what Brundell thought he had initially.

13 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Second Sprint confirmed at Monza, 10-12 September.

Top stuff, been meaning to measure the skirting boards with the ruler I got for Christmas, so excited to put it to the test at this weekend. 

The sprint races are shit, not interested in the slightest.

3 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Can anyone remember during race time the interview with Horner he wasn’t happy with the penalty but was convinced Hamilton wouldn’t make the podium so was satisfied with that at least, fuck me that didn’t last long he completely lost the plot when Hamilton won. For me that will go down as one of the all time classic races from start to finish.  

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Can anyone remember during race time the interview with Horner he wasn’t happy with the penalty but was convinced Hamilton wouldn’t make the podium so was satisfied with that at least, fuck me that didn’t last long he completely lost the plot when Hamilton won. For me that will go down as one of the all time classic races from start to finish.  

Wasn't able to watch it live but get with the programme Palf. All time classic how exactly? Half a lap of intense battle and then it's over, ten second penalty for Hamilton when he's always going to be 20/30 seconds faster than anyone else once Verstappen was out. Foregone conclusion/borefest after less than a minute.

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

Wasn't able to watch it live but get with the programme Palf. All time classic how exactly? Half a lap of intense battle and then it's over, ten second penalty for Hamilton when he's always going to be 20/30 seconds faster than anyone else once Verstappen was out. Foregone conclusion/borefest after less than a minute.

I’m on the program I think 🤔 well at least the same program as a huge majority of racing fans ex drivers and pundits, that was far from a foregone conclusion, that is what racing should be about and what it needs, for far too many years it has become a boring sport lacking in any real race excitement, two drivers both determined to win and two manufactures with cars that match as near as dam-it what’s not to like. As for the insult implying I don’t know what I talking about although many in the sport echo what I said, I will put that down to sour grapes on behalf of Red Bull fans.  

6 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’m on the program I think 🤔 well at least the same program as a huge majority of racing fans ex drivers and pundits, that was far from a foregone conclusion, that is what racing should be about and what it needs, for far too many years it has become a boring sport lacking in any real race excitement, two drivers both determined to win and two manufactures with cars that match as near as dam-it what’s not to like. As for the insult implying I don’t know what I talking about although many in the sport echo what I said, I will put that down to sour grapes on behalf of Red Bull fans.  

For half a lap, how does that make it an all time classic?:dontknow:

Very exciting 55 seconds I'll give you that.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

For half a lap, how does that make it an all time classic?:dontknow:

Very exciting 55 seconds I'll give you that.

Okay so no credit given to Hamilton for the way he raced to over come the odds to win the race, if you genuinely believe that was always going to be the case then for you you wouldn’t see it like that, but I will say that whilst watching there wasn’t anyone on C4 and even Horner who thought he would win the race from the position he was in after his penalty, rightly or wrongly in my opinion I think it should go down or will as a classic because it had controversy excitement and driving ability, it had a bit of everything never mind how it’s opened the championship right up. But I’m prepared to accept your opinions don’t match mine.