IGNORED

F1 Chat

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Loving the new Aston Martin, I'm a sucker for a car in British Racing Green, shame it has a pair of numpties behind the wheel or I'd be right behind them.

This. 100000%. 

Love Aston Martin, love the racing green, love the brand, love that they're British, love that they're a new team. 

Think their drivers and owner are idiots so sadly won't be backing them. Just hope that somehow the ownership changes alongside the drivers so that I can really get behind them.

Gorgeous car though.

Mazepin at Haas launch (unlike the Aston a horrible looking car)..

"Graduating to F1 and being an F1 driver means all of a sudden you become a sort of example to a lot of young kids who are aiming to get to the same championship.

"So with that you have to be a certain way. I haven't done it instantly. I was too late to realise that unfortunately.

"And in regards to what I've learned, it is quite clear the behaviour you are meant to bring with yourself and how you are meant to act on social media and off social media."

So what he did would have been OK if it wasn't for the fact he suddenly got a high profile? And "he would not say whether he had apologised to the women in the video for his actions" which means he hasn't.

Hope he crashes and burns, not literally obviously.

It’s just last seasons car with the necessary aerodynamic changes. They’ve give up on the new season already and are working on the car for the season after.

Tin pot team with a tin pot driver. I’m going to enjoy watching them scramble round at the back again and really hope Williams step up and beat them. 

Excited about the new season, hoping Hamilton wins but following a challenge rather than a canter this year. Red Bull have always been fast with laughable reliability, and fighting with just one driver after the shite of Albon. I think that they could be a major challenge if they've sorted their issues out, especially as they now have both Max and Perez who can challenge. 

McLaren look to be back, flirted with podiums and now have a new diffuser and Mercedes engine under the hood, I expect them to be the 3rd best on the grid but without flirting with podiums, they challenge for wins. Ricciardo and Norris are two drivers that I think are genuinely capable of fighting at the front, so whereas they won't challenge for the WC will give Mercedes and the Bulls something to think about.

Ferrari I think will be poor again, just because I think they're still a circus behind the scenes but because of the above I think this season could be exciting. 

Hamilton to seal it on the last race would be the dream scenario, with the Red Bulls in the fight right to the end as opposed to just Bottas limping alongside. 

I wonder how the end of the season will pan out with the contract situations too, bit of an added layer when you consider Hamilton could be fighting for the title with no guarantees about his seat (again). 

• 2 weeks later...

Times from first practice 

1. Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:31.394
  2. Bottas (Mercedes) +0.298
  3. Norris (McLaren) +0.503
  4. Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.527
  5. Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.599
  6. Perez (Red Bull) +0.677
  7. Gasly (Alpha Tauri) +0.801
  8. Sainz (Ferrari) +0.972
  9. Ricciardo (McLaren) +1.040
  10. Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) +1.392
  11. Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo) +1.74
  12. Vettel (Aston Martin) +1.763
  13. Stroll (Aston Martin) +1.839
  14. Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri) +1.935
  15. Ocon (Alpine) +2.134
  16. Alonso (Alpine) +2.478
  17. Russell (Williams) +2.733
  18. Latifi (Williams) +2.946
  19. Schumacher (Haas) +3.107
  20. Mazepin (Haas) +3.581

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Particularly happy with who is right at the bottom. 

He stayed there in FP2. Pretty stellar start for Tsunoda, and it actually looks like we may finally have a competitive season on our hands!

Second session 

1. Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:30.847
  2. Norris (McLaren) +0.095
  3. Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.235
  4. Sainz (Ferrari) +0.28
  5. Bottas (Mercedes) +0.371
  6. Ricciardo (McLaren) +0.383
  7. Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri) +0.447
  8. Stroll (Aston Martin) +0.546
  9. Gasly (Alpha Tauri) +0.636
  10. Perez (Red Bull) +0.656
  11. Ocon (Alpine) +0.754
  12. Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.765
  13. Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) +0.893
  14. Vettel (Aston Martin) +0.922
  15. Alonso (Alpine) +0.923
  16. Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo) +1.015
  17. Russell (Williams) +1.484
  18. Schumacher (Haas) +2.45
  19. Latifi (Williams) +2.553
  20. Mazepin (Haas) +2.602

Really happy to see Max on pole (and what a lap it was!) as I said earlier the perfect season for me is Lewis winning on the final day, after a close battle with as many Constructors as possible. I was quietly hoping that Red Bull's pace in testing was genuine and that certainly seems to be the case, disappointing that Perez fucked up with his tyres as it'll mean that Mercedes can gang up on Max and probably take the win, but promising that we've got a second team that can genuinely challenge.

Mazepin has really won no friends with his antics, spinning twice with the second after queue jumping ahead of the likes of Vettel. Being a dick so early in your career is just going to end in tears but I think he'll be around for a while (like Stroll) as I think the long term plan is for his Dad to buy out Gene Haas, who if you've watched the ''Drive to Survive'' series clearly doesn't have a great deal of interest in F1 anymore. Frustrating that the likes of Lance and Nikita have drives but it is what it is.

Good to see Ferrari in the mix, good lap from Leclerc and of course good to see McLaren edging their way back to where they belong. Hopefully on the rare occasion that Mercedes/Red Bull DNF they can flirt with winning races, and at the very least podiums. Insane lap (and session) from Pierre Gasly too in what seems like a lightening quick AlphaTauri, disappointing that Tsunoda couldn't add to what was a very good Q1, limping out in the next session but the early signs are that he's going to be very, very quick.

My prediction is that the two Mercedes will be too much for Max on his own, but today has shown that the ingredients are there for a very good season so I'm pretty excited about what's ahead. I think we're probably looking at the below in terms of wheel to wheel battles; 

1 - Mercedes/Red Bull

2 - McLaren/Ferrari/AlphaTauri

3 - Alpine/Aston Martin/Alfa

4 - Williams/Haas

Fingers crossed for Max today, Perez needs to make up places from 11th but won't be easy given the cars ahead. Tsunoda looks an interesting one to watch and good on Ricciardo (sorry Mike!). Just hope for a competitive season to really get us fans interested and engaged.

6 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Fingers crossed for Max today, Perez needs to make up places from 11th but won't be easy given the cars ahead. Tsunoda looks an interesting one to watch and good on Ricciardo (sorry Mike!). Just hope for a competitive season to really get us fans interested and engaged.

No need to aplogise, I like the guy. Love Vettel starting fifteenth "because of yellow flags" but then getting shifted to the back by a grid penalty for "ignoring yellow flags"😂

10 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Mazepin, you couldn't make it up. Wouldn't put it past Merc doing a Marko and dumping poor old Valtteri in favour of Russell if the going gets tough against Red Bull later in the season.

They should have done it between seasons. He’s a handy driver to have when it’s just Mercedes fighting themselves because he’s never going to beat Hamilton, but when it’s a fight with other teams as well you know he’s not going to much help at all.