IGNORED

F1 Chat

Even with the fireproof gear that they wear I feared the worst, felt genuinely sick and I didn't expect to see Romain walking away from that. The fact that he has suspected broken rib(s) and burns to his hands and feet is an amazing response to what is the worst crash I've seen in the modern era. 

Questions to be asked about the barrier perhaps, and an investigation into what caused the fire and how it could be prevented but a very good outcome to what was a grim start to the race - I couldn't believe it when we got back going again and Kyvat managed to flip Stroll. 

As for the race itself, gutted for Perez DNF'ing so close to the end - another walk in the park for Lewis who didn't look under threat from the first minute. 

4 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Even with the fireproof gear that they wear I feared the worst, felt genuinely sick and I didn't expect to see Romain walking away from that. The fact that he has suspected broken rib(s) and burns to his hands and feet is an amazing response to what is the worst crash I've seen in the modern era. 

Questions to be asked about the barrier perhaps, and an investigation into what caused the fire and how it could be prevented but a very good outcome to what was a grim start to the race - I couldn't believe it when we got back going again and Kyvat managed to flip Stroll. 

As for the race itself, gutted for Perez DNF'ing so close to the end - another walk in the park for Lewis who didn't look under threat from the first minute. 

Was a shame for Perez but as a McLaren fan I got over it:P

But seriously ridiculous if he doesn't get a seat for next season, replacing him with Vettel is a barking mad decision.

6 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

What caused the fire was that the car was ripped in half right where the fuel tank is.

This accident should put an end to any people still against the halo. Grojean himself has said tonight that he wasn’t a fan of it but he’s changed his mind now. It’s probably responsible for his head still being acquainted with the rest of his body. 

13 hours ago, MikeO said:

Was a shame for Perez but as a McLaren fan I got over it:P

But seriously ridiculous if he doesn't get a seat for next season, replacing him with Vettel is a barking mad decision.

I'm aware of the reasons why but the fact that Lance Stroll is guaranteed a seat each season and manages to kick superior drivers out of the sport (Ocon, then Perez) doesn't sit well with me. Sergio has been in excellent form this season and at the very least deserves to retain his seat - the fact that they're swapping him out for Vettel who has been over the hill for years now is insane management.

It's the same up and down the paddock though, Russell was rumoured to be losing his seat with Latifi safe due to his sponsorship deals, it's just ridiculous.

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

George Russell in Hamilton's seat this week-end, will be interesting. He has a bright future I think.

Excited for this race more than most to be honest, was secretly hoping that it would be George but thought that they would either go with the safe option in Vandoorne, or Williams would refuse to let Russell go. He's got all the makings of a future champion, so calm and collected (apart from that crazy SC incident) and has done a very good job of improving the Williams team from where they were to where they are now (though points don't show for it). 

I thought that they might have let him have the Mercedes car for good in 2021 before Bottas signed on, but a strong race in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi if Lewis can't make it would make very interesting viewing. One can only hope that he takes the opportunity with both hands. A top 5 quali/finish would be a good weekend IMO, it's not out of the question that Bottas under a considerable amount of pressure now to be the top dog finishes below him which would make his secure seat next season questionable. 

11 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Still don't understand why Merc retained Bottas. No denying his ability but can't push, will always be second fiddle. How much influence does LH have for second driver?

Pretty sure I saw somewhere (and can believe) that it's written into Lewis' contract that he has a say on who lines up with him. I'm pretty sure that it was in Vettel's contract at Ferrari too, as there was talk of him being involved in discussions when Kimi left from Sauber. 

To be honest the Bottas scenario is an understandable, if uninspiring one from Mercedes POV. He's basically always going to be 2nd or 3rd, getting the points needed to both mop up the Constructers points and keep the likes of Red Bull (and Ferrari last year) at bay. He's not going to rock the boat, preventing a ''Rosberg'' scenario which Toto Wolff has confirmed they were really keen to avoid. 

In a nutshell, Bottas is more than good enough to consistently get the points needed to supplement Lewis winning every weekend yet isn't a big enough name to challenge behind closed doors and cause a bad atmosphere. It keeps Hamilton happy too because he has one less car to contend with and quite literally has a wingman where needed - as much as I love Lewis there's absolutely no way that Mercedes will allow him to lose a 7th or 8th title to Valtierri, team orders will come into play like they did in Russia a few years back to ensure that it doesn't happen, if Bottas ever managed to get that close of course.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

So close:shakingfist:

If this is his audition for a Mercedes seat then he should have it pretty much in the bag. Bottas should be embarrassed that he got that close - Russell hadn’t driven this car before yesterday, he’s too big for the seat and he’s having to wear a size too small boot to fit. 

42 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Perfect start to this race - Russell leads and the gobshite Verstappen is out on the first lap. 

Schooling Bottas at the mo after pit-stops, whatever happens now (eg mechanical failure) he's made the point. 

Bottas needs binning, but he has a contract and his presence suits Hamilton so he won't be.

Devastated for Russell with Mercedes ruining that for him with their impression of being amateurs.

Still managed to get his first points which he more than deserved, and even though he ended up finishing behind Bottas he still showed him up big time and it should have sealed his future seat with Mercedes.

Pleased for Perez though, he seriously deserves this and he’s got to replace Albon. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

If I didn’t know better my cynical side would say has Lewis and the car been protected in some bazaar way, to prove that it’s drivability as well as the car that keeps them at the top, because they don’t want it proven that anyone could win in that car🤷‍♂️

They’ve got Bottas to prove that. 

Had to avoid the result as out on Sunday and didn't watch the race till yesterday.

Happy to see Perez win and that little tosser Stroll didn't even mention his win till much later in the post race interview.

Shame that Russell didn't have his fairy tale but his time will come, vividly shows that anyone can drive the Merc, notwithstanding his obvious talent. Bottas was shamed but agree that no way will Hamilton entertain Russell as a team-mate as he needs a poodle.