IGNORED

F1 Chat

12 hours ago, pete0 said:

Button got more points than him in the same car. 

Main stats that stand out for me are:

Faster qualifying time: Hamilton 44 / Button 14

Overall points: Hamilton 657 / Button 672

Lewis is the fastest with no cars in his way but as a racer Button was better. I don't watch f1 anymore (since the new points system, plus I can't stand Hamilton for similar reasons as Mike) so he might have improved but I found him to be dangerous. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-and-buttons-head-to-head-record-at-mclaren/3219323/

I like Jenson, I think when he has the car just the way he liked it he was arguably just as good as Lewis, if not better.

What Lewis can do is keep that top level of performance despite the car. He is naturally fast, a brilliant racer who is one of the best overtakers in the F1 world.

That was the best race of the season, loved every minute of it. A shame for Mercedes but with the Drivers and Constructors all but wrapped up, they can have the odd slip up and still remain at the top. Bottas crashing out was the best thing that could have happened on a very dismal day for Lewis, a poor strategy call really cost him as in the rain he was really comfortable in P1, without the cock-up in the pits he would surely have had more of a say in the race (and radio confirms he didn't want to go onto Mediums).

Amazing for Kyvat though, Toro Rosso on the podium is nothing short of fantastic.

With silly season starting this has now thrown a lot of questions around the paddock. Pierre Gasly constantly being overtaken by Alexander Albon in the satellite car and then pulling a DNF being one, it's becoming more and more clear that he's out of his depth at Red Bull and it's just a question as to whether they go with a rookie again in Albon or re-hire Kyvat for next season. With the problems at Renault, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Danny Ric making a surprise return too. He clearly has the pace and with the constant problems at Ferrari it's slowly looking more and more as though Red Bull will be the car to take the challenge to Mercedes, with Ricciardo desperate for a top car he should honestly but his pride to one side if the phone rings (although it has been speculated that he's a potential replacement for Vettel too).

Toto Wolff stated this week that Bottas' position within Mercedes would be decided on how he performs over the next two races before the summer break. Crashing out whilst failing to catch a Racing Point is the worst scenario that could have happened and I fully expect Esteban Ocon in a Silver Arrow for 2020. It was one of my bold predictions before the season started that he would compete in a race for 2019 and whilst that was a bit optimistic I do think Mercedes will cut ties with Valtierri - over the course of the season it is evident that he's never going to get the better of Lewis. When asked by Ted Kravitz about Bottas after the flag, Toto simply stated ''Shit race''. Ouch. 

Haas have deep driver problems too, infamously crashing out in Silverstone after hitting one another and then doing the same this afternoon (albeit without terminal damage). Either K-Mag or Grosjean need to go and I think it'll be the latter. He's had a poor season so far and given that he struggled in 2018, he will more than likely be the driver sacrificed. Good drives from Sainz and the two Alfas in tricky conditions too, promising signs. 

10 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

That was the best race of the season, loved every minute of it. A shame for Mercedes but with the Drivers and Constructors all but wrapped up, they can have the odd slip up and still remain at the top. Bottas crashing out was the best thing that could have happened on a very dismal day for Lewis, a poor strategy call really cost him as in the rain he was really comfortable in P1, without the cock-up in the pits he would surely have had more of a say in the race (and radio confirms he didn't want to go onto Mediums).

Amazing for Kyvat though, Toro Rosso on the podium is nothing short of fantastic.

With silly season starting this has now thrown a lot of questions around the paddock. Pierre Gasly constantly being overtaken by Alexander Albon in the satellite car and then pulling a DNF being one, it's becoming more and more clear that he's out of his depth at Red Bull and it's just a question as to whether they go with a rookie again in Albon or re-hire Kyvat for next season. With the problems at Renault, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Danny Ric making a surprise return too. He clearly has the pace and with the constant problems at Ferrari it's slowly looking more and more as though Red Bull will be the car to take the challenge to Mercedes, with Ricciardo desperate for a top car he should honestly but his pride to one side if the phone rings (although it has been speculated that he's a potential replacement for Vettel too).

Toto Wolff stated this week that Bottas' position within Mercedes would be decided on how he performs over the next two races before the summer break. Crashing out whilst failing to catch a Racing Point is the worst scenario that could have happened and I fully expect Esteban Ocon in a Silver Arrow for 2020. It was one of my bold predictions before the season started that he would compete in a race for 2019 and whilst that was a bit optimistic I do think Mercedes will cut ties with Valtierri - over the course of the season it is evident that he's never going to get the better of Lewis. When asked by Ted Kravitz about Bottas after the flag, Toto simply stated ''Shit race''. Ouch. 

Haas have deep driver problems too, infamously crashing out in Silverstone after hitting one another and then doing the same this afternoon (albeit without terminal damage). Either K-Mag or Grosjean need to go and I think it'll be the latter. He's had a poor season so far and given that he struggled in 2018, he will more than likely be the driver sacrificed. Good drives from Sainz and the two Alfas in tricky conditions too, promising signs. 

Can't disagree with any of that, Gasly is the mistake of the season. Was really hoping Sainz was going to put the McLaren onto the podium at the final restart but not to be.

And there's a new Button in the World, hopefully be on the grid in twenty odd years:D!

Great race, couldn't stop watching. Wolff has been brutal saying they'll make a decision in the next month on Bottas which I think will mean he's out and Ocon in which I'm happy about as I think he's definitely one to watch. I don't think he'll take any crap from Hamilton either. Haas, speculation is that Grosjean could be replaced by Wehrlein after the break but would that be permanent? Shame but I think he's one who showed promise but was never going to make it to a top team and then you are only talking about 6 drives at the moment. Gasly isn't good enough to be the support to Max but does Marko gamble on Kvyat again or go with Albon? I think Daniil has matured and is better bet. My guess is also Renault will dump Hulkenberg not sure who for though. There ends my Crofty analysis!!!

Not happy with the result today but the Hamilton/Mercedes tactic was something that I've felt for years was a no-brainer but nobody seemed ever willing to take the punt on. 

F1 tacticians had to catch up one day. Kudos, but should've called me years ago:P

The reason they did not want to let Ocon go out was to put pressure on Bottas, and maybe replace him if needed. Can't see Bottas being at Mercedes after his contract runs out.

Great racing all over the circuit with Norris, Sainz, Albion and Russell all impressing. 

Hamilton again proving he is the outstanding class of the field.

Not a surprise. Despite his podium in Hungary didn't think Kvyat would get back to RB at this point. Their line is to ascertain who will be in the RB next season. They need a rear gunner for Max and if AA steps up I guess the seat will be his. If on the other hand Kvyat gets more podiums surely he will be the choice?

• 3 weeks later...

First dominos have fallen! Bottas stays at Mercedes for another year and Ocon has signed 2 year deal at Renault at the expense of Hulkenberg. Really thought that Merc would have Ocon in the second seat next year. I like the lad and thought him impressive at Force India. Rumoured the Hulk goes to Haas and Grosjean out. Almost as good as transfer season!

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

First dominos have fallen! Bottas stays at Mercedes for another year and Ocon has signed 2 year deal at Renault at the expense of Hulkenberg. Really thought that Merc would have Ocon in the second seat next year. I like the lad and thought him impressive at Force India. Rumoured the Hulk goes to Haas and Grosjean out. Almost as good as transfer season!

They probably want to see how he goes for a year after being out of F1. 

Id rather he’d been given the seat though. I think it’s clear that Bottas has proven he’s no challenger. 

Shame for Hulkenberg as well because he’s done well. 

39 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Noted but where do you start? Started following in 1976 the year James Hunt won the Championship.

Indeed; I've been very selective in my decisions so far, but a great site overall; even goes back to races where Hamilton was tolerable.

8 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

F1 bores me. But I do get a giggle when I see leclerc. I then do the allo allo thing and nobody gets it 🤦🏿‍♂️

Quite right, 'Allo 'Allo was not, is not and never will be, funny.

But why does Lecrerc make you giggle? Do all Frenchmen (not that he's French)?

9 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

😂 I used to like it as a kid. Before I knew about the birds and the bees was the barmaid in it used to make me feel a bit giddy 

Can understand that, it deserved to be on kids TV rather than Saturday evening prime, the "humour" was about that level.

• 1 month later...