IGNORED

Leighton Baines -£6m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;ito=newsnow

The Mirror says Wigan's resolve will be tested by Everton, whose boss David Moyes is making a bold bid to bring Baines back to the club - but it will take £6m to make up for the mistake.

Moyes wants the highly-rated England under-21 left back who is a lifelong Toffee despite being released by the Goodison club as a kid.

But Wigan are fuming about the interest - just after they saw off major interest from Sunderland - and they do not want to sell unless the price is right.

Everton are apparently rumoured to be possibly thinking about making a move for Wigan's £6m rated left back, Leighton Baines.

Baines is a highly promising young defender who rose through the ranks at Wigan and now commands the left-back position. A composed player going forward, Baines also has a tremendous left foot and his displays earned him a first call-up to the England Under-21s for the game against Austria in September 2004.

Growing up in Liverpool, Baines cites Robbie Fowler among his heroes, and regularly watched the floppy haired striker from the Kop. Baines was also a product of Liverpool's academy before his move to Wigan when Wolves were also knocking at his door.

Twop stories - one has him as a blue one has him as a redshite :blink:

I can't see Moyes splashing £6M on a left back - but with both Nace and Pistone being let go does this mean Moyes is going to go all out for a left back I wonder. Getting good british youngsters in is want Moyes likes to do.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£6million is too much, he has potential to be a £6million+ player but he's not that good yet. He needs to work on his defending for a start. I do want him here though.

I agree with what your saying Rom, but we will end up with no one if we don't get a move on, baines will make his money back he is worth £6m, but i'm more worried that the people we are looking at are also being linked with teams like Fulham,Wigan and Sunderland, etc etc. Any players that those teams are looking at, are not going to be able to take us forward in any direction.

some of you people are so short sighted. mark got it spot on ...

and prisoner so what your saying is my method of spending wont bring anyone in ... what's the current situation like... just because prices have been inflated for players in england doesn't mean we have the money to meet that inflation ya *********

Edited by GoldfishMemory

some of you people are so short sighted. mark got it spot on ...

and prisoner so what your saying is my method of spending wont bring anyone in ... what's the current situation like... just because prices have been inflated for players in england doesn't mean we have the money to meet that inflation ya *************

Out of order Craccer keep the name calling out of football discussion!

Edited by GoldfishMemory

Anyway...

I think a quality, young left back is needed to be honest. Valente hasnt got many more years in him, nace and dot have gone and although Lescott can play there I would prefere to see him in a more central role. (Stubbs as a very good cover).

Baines fits the bill but if we dont get him I wouldnt be too disapointed, we've got enough cover for the upcoming season, I think with Stubbs probably retiring at the end of the next season Moyes will hvae to make it prority next summer.

If we get it out the way this time round though, getting one in then I would be more than happy :D

Good player Baines, couldnt give a toss what team he supports, he can do a job and can score a cracker!

Have we got 6 million to spend on a left back though?

I agree with what your saying Rom, but we will end up with no one if we don't get a move on, baines will make his money back he is worth £6m, but i'm more worried that the people we are looking at are also being linked with teams like Fulham,Wigan and Sunderland, etc etc. Any players that those teams are looking at, are not going to be able to take us forward in any direction.

Im worried as well mate, but it's looking like we don't have that much to spend and £6million for us right now wouldnt represent value to Everton. Wigan rejected a bid of £4million from Sunderland for Baines because they are holding out for around £4.5million which is something we could hopefully afford.

All this 'Nugents not worth this, Koumas isn't worth that and Baines isn't worth the other' is begining to frustrate me a little.

How is it that you assign a worth to somebody - is is based on what we paid for so and so last season or the season before.

There is only one true bench mark on what a player is worth - He is worth as much as the next club will pay for him.

So

Nugent is worth £6M

Koumas was worth £5.3M

Kamara is worth £6M

Reo-Coker is worth £8.5M

Darren Bent is worth £16.5M

Baines is gonna be worth around £6M.

Chris Baird is worth £3M

Greg Halford is worth £3M

Kapo is worth £3M

We got a steal in Jags for £4M, so lets be greatful on that front.

Now it doesn't really matter what we beleive their value is, the fact is that if Everton don't pay what a player is worth - then we are going to have to do without him. Full stop.

That is may biggest problem with Moyes and Everton sometime, thay have to get the best value every time, rather than the player that maybe best suits their on feild needs. I know we are on a tight budget, but the odd £1M here and their isn't going to bring the club in finacial melt down (I am not talking about spending £10M on players we can't afford). You would hope that having the right player for the right position should result in maybe climbing the league table by a place or two, or a slightly better cup run.

Craccer, did you go to Davey Moyes's school of spending.

Robb, you got it spot on Regarding Moyse school of Spending, but is that a good thing or a bad thing. ???

Think i read in a thread somewhere about Moyse naming his targets for the coming season and if i remember right i think the targets where, Jagielka, Baines, Koumas and Nugent, Probably paper talk although there might have been something of the truth in it.

The question i would like to ask is, If these players are top of his wanted list but he does'nt get them because, as he says himself ""we put a value on a player and thats all we will pay"", that to me means he is never going to get many if he keeps getting outbid by other clubs, consequently he is always going for panic buys and second choice players rather than those on the top of his list.

A good example would have been Jagielka, if Sheff had stayed up would they have offered more than the 4 million get-out clause. ??

Koumas has now gone to a rival but i'm not sure if we actually put in a bid, in my eyes that was too much anyway.

Now Looms the possibility of also losing Nugent cos he is hoping to get him on the Cheap.

And again Papers saying 6 million for Baines while the rumour is that Moyse will only pay 4.5 million.

Personally i find this a bit worrying because we almost did'nt get AJ because Moyse only went up to 7million, and then only got him because BK Pushed him into a last minute bid to equal the other clubs, then it was up to AJ to decide.

Any thoughts on this Robb, or anyone else. ???

Out of order Craccer keep the name calling out of football discussion!

what do you expect from me liam?

as for robb...once again stop thinking of worth in terms of value..it isn't they're two completely different teams, worth incorporates benefits in terms of what a player can add to a team as well as just numeric value. you can easily say someones worth what people are paying, because yes that's what theyre worth to them...not necessarily us, so when i say he's not worth 6 million, he might be to someone else but not for everton. so in terms of value yes 7 mil for nugent is that price that's the going rate, and he's worth that to say pompey...but to us he isn't. that's all i'm saying, baines isn't worth 6 mil. baines is a potential 6 mil player but he's nto there yet, and considering oru finances in comparison to somr other teams he's not worth it at that price.

As I have mentioned it's the fact that he is almost to subborn sometimes when it come to getting value.

Not at all a bad think at crusing the transfer market for players that are going to give us as good as value as possible.

Lets just take Koumas as an example - Lets say Moyes had target him as a player HE wanted, had a spot in the team/squad that Koumas on paper would fill just right for the right sort of money.

Moyes had him down as maybe £3.5M, maybe. But how did Moyes asign him that value, on what player where going for last summer, what he had paided for players in the past? I just sometime I think Moyes needs to be a little more flexable with market forces.

Lets say Moyes has and average of £4M to spend on four player he has on his wish list.

Sometime you may have to bend and bring in three on your list for £5M each (becasue market forces dictate) and buy a old timer or free transfer with the £1M left over. Rather than letting all 4 or your prefered target get away because they cost £1M more than your personnal valuation. You end up with 4 'sub standard' players for want of a better word.

Nugent OK not the end of the world if he is not at the club becasue we have a fair amount of cover in the goal scoring department (would be more of a sickner if he took the Prem by storm). But left back is a weak position for us. If we have to pay a little more for one of the hottest prospect who already player at Prem standard then so be it. Basically say, no Nugent bid this summer full stop - if we get him free next year bonus - if not we have a great left back.

You have to be flexable - some you win bargain wise, some, well you just HAVE to pay the going rate or you miss out, and on the odd occasion you may even have to bid over the odds to get that one main target you have special plans for or gives your team that balance its missing, or corrects a particular weakness you had last season.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=349064

Roy Keane’s Sunderland have been tenacious in their pursuit of the England Under 21 international, but so far, they have failed to meet Wigan’s asking price, thought to be in the region of £4.5millon

Latics boss Chris Hutchings told the Wigan Observer: “We’ve rejected another bid from Sunderland for Leighton.”

“We don’t want to let him go but, as I said all along, every player has got their price.”

This could pave the way for Everton to whip the deal from under the noses of the Black Cats. Reports suggest that Everton boss David Moyes is monitoring the situation closely.

Baines, a life-long Toffees fan, was released by Everton as a youngster, but would surely relish another chance at the club, after proving at Wigan he has what it takes to impress on the big stage.

maybe you, maybe you don't rob, but there's alternatives...personally i'd get quedrue in ... because hes 2 mil maximum ... and he's a talented footballer... baines is a good future player, but to spend 6 mil now is a massive chunk of our budget when he's not ready to justify 6 mil....it's like fernandes pretty much every1 wants him but it was too much on 1 player...get someone cheaper and u can further bolster ur squad in other areas ... we still need a couple of mids and a striker perhaps and a right back .... we won't get all of them this window, but you can still strengthen you're weakest position without shelling out so much money for a future player ... we're jsut not in that position yet that spurs, arsenal etc are

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=349064

Roy Keane’s Sunderland have been tenacious in their pursuit of the England Under 21 international, but so far, they have failed to meet Wigan’s asking price, thought to be in the region of £4.5millon

Latics boss Chris Hutchings told the Wigan Observer: “We’ve rejected another bid from Sunderland for Leighton.”

“We don’t want to let him go but, as I said all along, every player has got their price.”

This could pave the way for Everton to whip the deal from under the noses of the Black Cats. Reports suggest that Everton boss David Moyes is monitoring the situation closely.

Baines, a life-long Toffees fan, was released by Everton as a youngster, but would surely relish another chance at the club, after proving at Wigan he has what it takes to impress on the big stage.

taking this in to account surely a 5 million bid woould do the trick

a long serving full back if you ask me he is only 21, 22 has a cracking left foot on him and he's an evertonian

a move to us would suit him more than sunderland as he is a scouser plus were in europe

to hell with it id love to see us bring him in as tbh i dont see us going for anyone else at the momment

richarson and smith told they have a future

nugent to pompey

we have a choice in witch to get baines for 5 million or dont get him let him go to sunderland an dont get baines and have no body.

he was everyones first choice left back so why not splash abit of cash

imo baines is good enough now, not just for the future!

if we got him for £5-6m, and he plays regular football for 5-6 years then i think that will be good value. but we can more realistically have him playing for closer to 10 years (injuries and loss of form aside)

quedrue is a quality player, and at £2m its a good price. but id rather solve a problem we've had for a while, on a long term scale, and pay the extra money for it.

DM said last year he hopes to add a few higher quality players every summer.

with Lescott, Johnson, Cahill, Arteta, Howard. these are players that will not need replacing for maybe 5 years. Baines could be added to that list

he is good enough yeh, but i mean to justify the 6 mil... atm hes about 4 mil player but the figure has been quoted at 6 because of the potential... and considering that we don't have much to spend (i imagine since we loaned last year for AJ)then 6 mil i think is too much...queudrue is 28, which for a defender is a round about prime age, with a goof 4 or so years left

the way i see it is we do need a left back yeh, but theres one cheap optio navailable that will more than fill the hoel for a few years, and the going rate for mids and strikers at the moment is thru the roof, so needing them too, maybe we need to pay the larger sums on securing our winger, center mid or striker or whatever and for now take the cheaper shorter term option.

all we had for the 90's was the short term option, for me long term is the only option.

like ive said previous, id rather spend £6m on a player for maybe 10 years in a blue shirt, than £2m on a player for a few years

i absoultly agree, although i think we may get him 4 5mil

my biggest priority is a left footed midfield player. ideally a winger/wide player.

my second is a left back.

i honestly believe we can afford to bring in baines and richardson.

im not bothered about a striker, i want to see Vaughan pushed on a bit this season, vic beats and faddy can cover when he needs to be rested. and in honesty im a 451 man, so we have enough cover for me

edit

ive heard good things about nzogbia. but ive never seen him play so i cant really comment

Edited by StevO