IGNORED

Metalist

MikeO

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't play well......BUT won

Against Borough the same!.....Johnson,Vaughan,Gravesen and Cahill...will make a difference!

I wonder how Moyes will handle the fact that Anichebe gives more than Yakubu?

Tonihgt!!Lescott,Howard,McFadden and Anichebe plus maybe Pienaar well done!

Mr Arteta!...come on your better than that!...Yakubu!!surely your better than that!!!!!

To be fair to Arteta, he didnt really have much support in midfield did he?

Yes he had a bad one but Moyes tactics didnt exactly play to his strengths.

The good and the bad.

BAD: Yobo & Jagielka both ball watched - where's your man, there behind you! Yakubu - for a big built man can not hold a ball up. Great goalscoring talent, but we dont play the way he's used to (running at teams).

Every ball played along the ground by metalist in the first half found its man - defence splitting.

We need to sure up the midfield with two tacklers. The defence has got to stop ball watching.

GOOD: Lescott, nuf said.

Mcfadden - worked a lot better running at players than receiving his ball with his back to goal like the first leg.

Anichebe - Powerhouse, please don't play for Nigeria - England is calling (is it too late).

Two away games and two home games in the group I think Louis....draw's next Tuesday, when I'm in a plane :angry: .

I stand corrected...

The draw will be held on 9 October at 11:00 BST.

The following teams have qualified for the group stage:

Team Coefficients

Villarreal 78.374

Bayern Munich 73.640

Panathinaikos 55.415

Basel 54.869

Bordeaux 49.706

Anderlecht 41.594

Tottenham 40.618

Lokomotiv Moscow 38.920

Zenit St Petersburg 38.920

Sparta Prague 37.851

AEK Athens 36.415

Hamburg 34.640

Bolton 32.618

Austria Vienna 30.104

Spartak Moscow 27.920

Galatasaray 26.791

Atlético Madrid 25.374

Everton 24.618

Rennes 20.706

Hapoel Tel Aviv 19.338

Red Star 19.256

Copenhagen 19.129

Toulouse 17.706

Dinamo Zagreb 17.533

Panionios 16.415

Nürnberg 14.640

Aris Thessaloniki 13.415

Aberdeen 11.064

Zürich 9.869

AE Larissa 8.415

Aalborg 7.129

Brann 6.509

Elfsborg 4.478

Helsingborg 3.478

J-Lo in again, Fuck terry for england, Lescott is "DA MAN" Yes its official now "the" has been dropped. Jimmy Mac Popping up again, what i cant get though is why the other english teams are so comfortable in europe and yet we're like headless chickens.

Blackburn went out and bolton struggled. Im hoping metalist were a good upcoming side - they have a billionaire owner. Bit like Villareal when we played them.

No excuses though we were shit, and lucky. Only looked good once we reverted back to what we know 4-5-1

To be fair Metalist weren't as bad as was made out in fact they were a pretty class outfit!

They would have probably have beaten luckypool last night on both teams performances!

We were nervous and unsure of the tactics being asked.With a quiet Arteta and an inefective Yakubu and Jagielka....all in all for an away european tie against a decent team we did ok!

We can play better and we will have too to go further.Nights like this will make us stronger and Moyes wiser, he may have to rethink a couple of players.

HOW GOOD IS LESCOTT?

its 8 groups of 5

so this is the teams at the current moment one from each pot to complete a group.

pot 1

Villarreal 78.374

Bayern Munich 73.640

Panathinaikos 55.415

Basel 54.869

Bordeaux 49.706

Anderlecht 41.594

Tottenham 40.618

Lokomotiv Moscow 38.920

Pot 2

Sparta Prague 37.851

AEK Athens 36.415

Hamburg 34.640

Bolton 32.618

Austria Vienna 30.104

Spartak Moscow 27.920

Galatasaray 26.791

pot 3

Atlético Madrid 25.374

Everton 24.618

Rennes 20.706

Hapoel Tel Aviv 19.338

Red Star 19.256

Copenhagen 19.129

Toulouse 17.706

Dinamo Zagreb 17.533

pot 4

Panionios 16.415

Nürnberg 14.640

Aris Thessaloniki 13.415

Aberdeen 11.064

Zürich 9.869

AE Larissa 8.415

Aalborg 7.129

Brann 6.509

Elfsborg 4.478

pot 5

Helsingborg 3.478

we cant play any other english teams at this stage

Edited by Randomness

You dont always get what you deserve in football so i feel very sorry for Metalist, they played excellent football and made us look like a pub team. We panicked every time they came into our half and should have been 3-0 up at half time, THE BEST TEAM LOST TONIGHT.

God knows what formation Moyes was playing but it deffo didnt work.

Howard....... solid, no chance with the goals.

Neville .......not the worst on the field but nowhere near good enough.

Yobo...... a very bad night played awfull.

Stubbs .....has to be put out to grass, i hope that is his last game.

Lescott .....Our best defender and our best attacker caused them a lot of trouble, plus another goal.

Arteta....... was he playing, ? saw him in our first attack then Didnt see him after that

Jagielka .... deffo not a midfielder played awfull.

Osman..... Worked hard but contributed nothing, Poor game.

Pienaar.... looking better every time i see him. one of the few plusses tonight.

Mcfadden .. ok performance and a goal , but still prefer AJ.

Yakubu.... **x_** __ **** xxx ** and f*** off.

Annichebe.. A goal, and once again caused more problems in 20mins than Yakubu did in 70mins

Baines..... cant understand the reasoning behind leaving him out, on too late to make any impact.

Hibbert.... along with Baines to late to make any impact, Time wasting substitutions.

LESCOTT star man tonight, with ANNICHEBE, PIENAAR and HOWARD the only other players who can hold their heads up after that shambles.

Pretty or ugly, we won. That's all I care about. Two weeks from now nobody's gonna care HOW we got into the group stages, just that we got the job done. That's more than the fans of Ajax Amsterdam, Blackburn, Real Zaragoza, Lens, Empoli, Palermo, and Sampdoria can say tonight.

Ramdomness these are not all the team, there is for exemple also Fiorentina and some matches are not finished...

I hope in a good draw...i watched the match on streaming and after their 2 - 1 i was very upset...

Thank God we have james mcfadden...was a good goal....and i exulted a lot !!

Thank God we have Lescott also...tonight was everywhere.

Sorry for my English i know it isn't perfect, but i'm only 18 and i'm still learning the language :) I have to learn the language well becouse one day i'd like to find a job in England...

However, in my opinion best players tonight were LESCOTT - PIENAAR and ANICHEBE !

I'm so glad Moyesey got in Pienaar, as his European experience really paid off tonight.

Howard... Safe as houses when he had a chance, can't blame him for the goals.

Yobo... Couple of his dosey moments, still needs work on his concentration BUT did show his talent in flashes, particularly one moment where he nipped the ball in a dangerous moment and passed it to Arteta.

Stubbs... Can be solid as a rock but seemed to be out-foxed by Metalists passing.

Neville... Solid enough and passing was neat at times, but didn't see him lead by example which is what we needed tonight.

Lescott... Pure class. Need to be able to play him at centre back though, as we missed Baines at left back.

Jagielka... Another disappointing performance. Is he fit? Did he have a proper pre-season? Is central midfield his position? Looked like we need Cars when Jags went missing as they ran at our defence.

Osman... Ossie was busy again and looked neat at times, but still can't enforce himself in the centre. Probably played out of position to be honest.

Pienaar... Boy is looking as good as his potential. His play out wide and through the centre was vital for us, especially since the centre of our midfield wasn't keeping the ball. There is no doubting his quality and he seems to help share the work load in attack with Mikel.

Arteta... Mikel was quiet tonight, but I wasn't surprised. You can't expect him to do it all, especially after only just recovering from an injury. He still had it in him to keep the ball for us at times and even make a couple of classy runs.

McFadden... Faddy the Laddy once again. Worked hard to attempt to attack for us, but suffered from a woeful lack of service. Think he's the technically better option than AJ, but still needs to prove he can be consistent. With that said, he's been much better on a consistent basis for us and this is surely his chance to shine. YET ANOTHER well taken goal. Get in there, lad.

Yakubu... Same problem as Jags. He just seems to be un-fit, lacking a pre-season and perhaps a little lost in an Everton team. Spurned a great chance after a good touch from brilliant build-up play by Joleon, however, once again his finishing touch let him go. Needs time by the looks of it.

Baines... I actually cheered when he came on. Can perhaps understand why Moyes rested him - give him a rest, don't want him to get injured and maybe wanted Stubbs for his leadership - but still looked the better option on the left of MIDFIELD than even left-back, so still a shame he didn't start because we keep the ball better with him IMO. Fortunately the gamble has paid off, though.

Hibbert... Came on to waste time mainly, but did hack away an important clearance. Still don't understand why he didn't start; maybe for the same reasons Baines didn't?

Anichebe... Breath of fresh air compared to the Yak, and it paid off wonderfully. Once again, he could have started but maybe he just came on at the right time when they weren't defending quite as well. Took his goal very well with great composure and a neat bit of skill.

Moyes... Method to his madness? I guess we'll never know. :P

Edited by Calico

Updating those pots, now that all games are final:

pot 1

Villarreal 78.374

Bayern Munich 73.640

AZ Alkmaar 63.995

Panathinaikos 55.415

Basel 54.869

Bordeaux 49.706

Bayer Leverkusen 45.640

Anderlecht 41.594

Pot 2

Tottenham 40.618

Lokomotiv Moscow 38.920

Sparta Prague 37.851

AEK Athens 36.415

Hamburg 34.640

Bolton 32.618

Austria Vienna 30.104

pot 3

Spartak Moscow 27.920

Sporting Braga 27.107

Galatasaray 26.791

Atlético Madrid 25.374

Getafe 25.374

Everton 24.618

Fiorentina 21.808

Rennes 20.706

pot 4

Hapoel Tel Aviv 19.338

Red Star 19.256

Copenhagen 19.129

Toulouse 17.706

Dinamo Zagreb 17.533

Panionios 16.415

Nürnberg 14.640

Mlada Boleslav 13.851

pot 5

Aris Thessaloniki 13.415

Aberdeen 11.064

Zürich 9.869

AE Larissa 8.415

Aalborg 7.129

Brann 6.509

Elfsborg 4.478

Helsingborg 3.478

I'd like to see us draw a group of Bordeaux, Sparta Prague, Copenhagen, and Aberdeen. That'd be my vote. :)

Was waiting for that post from you JD...reliable as ever :D . Thanks....

Anderlecht

Vienna

Toulouse (big time!)

Elfsborg

...for me, though that could change when I check out where Easyjet fly to from Bristol :P . Toulouse 'cos that's where my brother lives and I can get there for peanuts (sods law we'll draw get them as a home game :( ).

Just about come down enough to get some sleep now...happy days!

You dont always get what you deserve in football so i feel very sorry for Metalist, they played excellent football and made us look like a pub team. We panicked every time they came into our half and should have been 3-0 up at half time, THE BEST TEAM LOST TONIGHT.

God knows what formation Moyes was playing but it deffo didnt work.

Howard....... solid, no chance with the goals.

Neville .......not the worst on the field but nowhere near good enough.

Yobo...... a very bad night played awfull.

Stubbs .....has to be put out to grass, i hope that is his last game.

Lescott .....Our best defender and our best attacker caused them a lot of trouble, plus another goal.

Arteta....... was he playing, ? saw him in our first attack then Didnt see him after that

Jagielka .... deffo not a midfielder played awfull.

Osman..... Worked hard but contributed nothing, Poor game.

Pienaar.... looking better every time i see him. one of the few plusses tonight.

Mcfadden .. ok performance and a goal , but still prefer AJ.

Yakubu.... **x_** __ **** xxx ** and f*** off.

Annichebe.. A goal, and once again caused more problems in 20mins than Yakubu did in 70mins

Baines..... cant understand the reasoning behind leaving him out, on too late to make any impact.

Hibbert.... along with Baines to late to make any impact, Time wasting substitutions.

LESCOTT star man tonight, with ANNICHEBE, PIENAAR and HOWARD the only other players who can hold their heads up after that shambles.

Pretty much agree with you but think you are being a bit harsh on McFadden. He was one of the few that looked comfortable on the ball. OK had a couple of wild shots in the first half when he probably shouldve passed, but overall I thought along with Lescott, Pienaar and Victor he was one of our better players. Played like it meant something. Unlike the lazy twat Yakubu.

Why Moyes experimented with the team is baffling. The defence looked lost. I know Hibbert isnt everyones fave but I honestly think we would have been more secure at the back with him there (and Baines on the other side). Probably shouldve have gone with those 2 plus Stubbs/Yobo and Lescott in the centre.

The less said about Jags the better. Hes never looked the business to me despite a few Evertonians raving about him early on (wishful thinking). His only half decent game for me has been v Bolton where he played in defence.

Does Moyes watch the games?????

Was waiting for that post from you JD...reliable as ever :D . Thanks....

Anderlecht

Vienna

Toulouse (big time!)

Elfsborg

...for me, though that could change when I check out where Easyjet fly to from Bristol :P . Toulouse 'cos that's where my brother lives and I can get there for peanuts (sods law we'll draw get them as a home game :( ).

Just about come down enough to get some sleep now...happy days!

You're quite welcome!

Vienna, Toulouse, and/or Elfsborg would all be fine with me, but I'd prefer to avoid Anderlecht only because the Jupiler League was (believe it or not) the first league in Europe that I seriously followed for a while - this was back in the mid-90's when I had a football-crazy friend at university; he introduced me to it. I don't keep up with Belgium much nowadays, not since I discovered the EPL on TV, really, but I still have a bit of a soft spot for the Purple and White (who might rival Everton for the amount of young talent they've developed and then lost to teams with deeper pockets over the years). I'd rather they end up in a different group so that I don't have to root against them.

Edited by JD in DC

Hi there, lads!

I wanted to write you guys yesterday, but than I decided to wait until the end of the game.

Let me introduce myself first: My name is Oleksiy, I'm 25, I live and work in Kharkiv. I do not consider myself to be a great Metalist fan, but as a Kharkiv citizen I support any successes of my city, whether it's economics or football.

1. As a former soviet union country most of our elder generation can understand English, but not speak it. (it was the policy of the party in order to prevent people expressing their thoughts). So, please, do not say that smb's English is poor! I bet, that none of you can speak a word in Ukrainian! And hardly any of you visited metalist fan's web site.

2. In your posts here I read some insulting things like "mentalists" and stuff like that. Do you know how our fans welcomed yours?- I bet none of you would dare to say something bad! Do you know that our city haven't hosted European cups' games for 19 years because of the poor economics?- it was a real celebration for our city to host YOUR team! Do you know that our team now is among the best teams of Ukraine like Dymano Kyiv and Shakhtar Donetsk? (We finished 3rd in the last championship with lack of just 2 points from the Champions league)

3. "poor team?" I really do not think, that Everton is any better team than we are. You guys were very lucky yesterday! But for the last game's sending off the field our main defence players, you wouldn't have scored yesterday at all!

But, nevertheless, good for you and good luck! :)

Cheers!

Oleksiy I feel very sorry for you, Metallist played some very nice football and deserved to get more from the game, our manager Left out certain players and played a formation that was obviously not good for us or the players, we looked a very poor team and did not impress.

As you said we where very lucky and i hope the Manager and the players have gained a bit more experience because like yourselves we are also very new to Euro Football.

Best wishes to you and i hope Metallist Kharkiv have a very good season and get back into Europe, the nice football you played deserves a bigger stage. Good luck.

Bill.

Hi there, lads!

I wanted to write you guys yesterday, but than I decided to wait until the end of the game.

Let me introduce myself first: My name is Oleksiy, I'm 25, I live and work in Kharkiv. I do not consider myself to be a great Metalist fan, but as a Kharkiv citizen I support any successes of my city, whether it's economics or football.

Its Nice to see a loyal citizen like yourself with pride..congrats!

1. As a former soviet union country most of our elder generation can understand English, but not speak it. (it was the policy of the party in order to prevent people expressing their thoughts). So, please, do not say that smb's English is poor! I bet, that none of you can speak a word in Ukrainian! And hardly any of you visited metalist fan's web site.

You were right....at least for me i did not visit any metalist fan site. I do not even know if i need any special fonts in my web browser!!!

2. In your posts here I read some insulting things like "mentalists" and stuff like that. Do you know how our fans welcomed yours?- I bet none of you would dare to say something bad!Apologies.. we could have handled that better i guess Do you know that our city haven't hosted European cups' games for 19 years because of the poor economics? Congarats mate!! you are progressing in the direction!!- it was a real celebration for our city to host YOUR teamAre we?? Phew!! We made history again!! thanks!! Do you know that our team now is among the best teams of Ukraine like Dymano Kyiv and Shakhtar Donetsk? (We finished 3rd in the last championship with lack of just 2 points from the Champions league) I am sure this season you would do better...good luck pal

3. "poor team?" I really do not think, that Everton is any better team than we areAt this point of time you may be right .... You guys were very lucky yesterday! But for the last game's sending off the field our main defence players, you wouldn't have scored yesterday at all!We would be at loss if we have lost few key players like Arteta,T.H or Lescott, but at the end of the day, its football.Cheer up and do not take ant banters seriously. I do not wanna hear that you got a heart attack due to football!!

But, nevertheless, good for you and good luck! :)In all fair comments, thanks for the history and thanks for pointing out.We shall strive to be better as in person and as a team

Cheers!

Do come back pal...hope we have better stuffs to discuss in future....good luck pal! ..God bless and peace for all

Edited by xsaint

We rode our luck a little last night - But any result, never mind a win is a good result away in Europe. It's hard going travelling to the other side of europe to go and play a team in what is argubley one of the biggest games in that clubs history. Lets not underestimate what a difficult task that is - Just look how other Prem clubs got on in the away legs - We are the only club who managed a win - and we were not playing a pub team - we all saw that they where a fairly decent team.

So first and for most that has to go down as a very good result for Everton and they team should be congratulated for that.

At 2:1 down on the night, I have to say I knew we would score at least 1 other another goal possibly 2, so I never got overly worried last night about going out.

But I was a little concerned when I saw the line up and the tactics employed last night. Jagielka has not shown me at all that he is a defensive midfeilder before last night game - what on earth was he doing in that position on one of the most important games of the clubs recent history. Nellive or Carsely have far more experience and should have started there last night. I was shoulting for Nellive and Jags to change positions from the first 10 mins. That single tactical desision basically meant we wasted the first 45 mins of the game.

Yak - I don't think I need to add anything more to what has already be said - If we are to tolerate his 'work rate' then he is going to need to score lots of goals, and important goals to satifiy the Goodison faithful. He was dead weight last night and needs to take a hard look at himself - I wonder if Portsmouth will buy him in January!!!!

Our tactics made it difficult for Arteta to get in to the game - in the secod half he was falling back deep just to get the ball!

We won, but there was plenty of ammunition to give Moyes a good slagging of to day had we lost- He should give his players (especially McFadden) a big thank you - becasue he did get his tactics all wrong last night

A big plus for me last night was McFadden - I have been impressed with him this season and he did a lot of good stuff last night abit playing up front on his 'own' most of the night. Great goal that basically won us the tie. I think he should be the first forward player name down on the team sheet for the next couple of games - as to me he DESERVES a prolonged run in the starting line up.

GOOD AWAY WIN IN EUROPE!!!! WELL DONE LADS

Yeah, Metalist weren't afraid to play some good football out there and were unlucky in the end. However, that's something we've been putting up with in years, so hopefully we'll get the rub of the green now.

As for any one knocking Moyes, well that's about as short-sighted as you can get.

Edit: Also, I think the slating Yak is getting is ridiculous... can we all remember that for two or three years only Thierry Henry scored more in the Prem than he did?

Besides, he has only played a few games. Not all players can fit right into any team.

Edited by Calico