IGNORED

Metalist

MikeO

No thank you MF......

A great display from your team that had me sat on the edge of my seat the whole game.

I was very close to calling in sick for work when you were 2-1 up.

Hope to see you in Europe next year and hope you have a bit better luck.

Anyone else reminded of Rocky? (the first one) :D

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much agree with what everyone said. But I wnated to make two points.

1. Yes Yak looked lazy but he is not like AJ and I think in the right formation he will get goals and that is why we bought him. Arteta had an off day just like Yak but we aren't saying he was a watse of money give the boy a chance.

2. We are 5th in the league and into the group stages in europe we have got past a banana skin in the league cup. And we are doing all this without playing very well isn't that what they say the sign of a good team is win games with a bad performance.

There is a slight difference between the £2 million for Arteta and the £11.5 million for Yakubu. :o plus the fact that Arteta has showed us he can play a bit, where as the only thing Yakubo has shown us is that he is a lazy bastard, cant hold on to a ball, and does'nt look fit. :angry:

Agree with Craccer...good luck to Metalist, they look like team on the up. Fifteen passes before the shot that led to their second goal and even if we didn't play particularly well that takes some doing.

Yak is worrying me. Jury out (I know he's purely a goalhanger...sorry goalscorer) but at time his effort was non-existant.

Yeah, Metalist weren't afraid to play some good football out there and were unlucky in the end. However, that's something we've been putting up with in years, so hopefully we'll get the rub of the green now.

As for any one knocking Moyes, well that's about as short-sighted as you can get.

Edit: Also, I think the slating Yak is getting is ridiculous... can we all remember that for two or three years only Thierry Henry scored more in the Prem than he did?

Besides, he has only played a few games. Not all players can fit right into any team.

Not really, I would say Moyes last night got the team selection and tactics slightly wrong - we basically got over run in the middle and they controlled the game, and should we have missed out on qualification last night then he would have deserved an ear bashing (and I am a Moyes fan!). We got through, so backlash avoided.

As for Yakubu - he has been critisised already for his lack of work, big game last night and his work rate was as poor as ever. Game changed when 'Victor' came on and worked the Metalist defence a little more. nothing to do with technique or skill just in your face work. last night was a all or nothing night when we really needed him to up his work rate - and I am afraid I didn't see it. So credit where credits due and slating where slating is due!!! All we are fairly asking for is a little more effort and running around for his £40,000 odd a week.

Arteta wasn't getting much of the ball last night to be honest - so can't really say he had that much of a poor game.

There seems to be a pretty consistent line to this thread.

Poor tactics and squad selections in both games.

Yakubu??????? ( I still desparately want to be proved wrong, and although I was happy with the signing, I did have concerns, and starting to feel justified!!!)

I don't think the panic button needs to be hit just yet, but there are some lessons that need to be quickly learnt. I would like to know why DM didn't go with the side that played last Sunday, he knew that Metallist were strong in midfield and that they overran this area of the pitch in the first game. I could not believe he put our three most lightweight midfielders in there with an inexperienced holding player behind them. Metallist should not have had a look in last night, but I almost couldn't watch a virtual repeat of the first game in the first half. Last major negative - Yakubu, I know he has a lazy style, but for the love of god!!!! I would happily put up with this if he bangs the goals in, but apart from the 2 goals (which I have to say he didn't really have to do much) he has not been a threat to any team we have played. BUFFS (Buck Up For F***s Sake!!)

Positives, Faddy's renewed commitment to working and his growing maturity in the game in general. Lescott, WONDER BOY, if e ever let him go I will put a contract on the person responsible. He is by far the hardest working, most commited player at the club at the moment, and no matter where he plays, he delivers. One for the all time hall of fame me thinks, a true Everton legend in the making. Howard, enough said, ooooooozes quality. Pienaar, bargain player, top quality goods. It's like going to a car boot, paying a fiver for a nice watch to discover it is a Rolex, just needs a bit of polish to get it back to it's best. A true diamond in the rough. Anichebe, this lad is putting muli million pound 'professionals' to shame. I would love to say just for his youthful exuberence and passion, but the lad has really grown. He is developing a knavk of being in the right place, he battles hard and works for the team, causes problems for the opposition and has top drawer composure in the box. How cool was that goal last night. (Are you watching Yakubu!!!!!!)

Lastly, and I know this is contradictory, DM. His tactical decisions have been woeful, but at least he is not afraid to pull off players and change things about. Whatever he said at half time did the trick, and Anichebe's introduction was vital. I was so glad he didn't wait any longer as he normally does until the last ten.

Finally, I would like to thank the Metallist fans and their team. They have been fantastic ambassadors for the game. I think there has been some great banter and both legs have been played honestly and competitively. I wish them all the luck in the world for thr rest of their campaign this season. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of them in the future.

really impressed by metalist, dont remember them playing one long ball. short sharp passing on the deck, turned us over time and time agian! we had the luck with us in the second half.

one of the most entertaining games ive ever seen, but exhausting at the same time!

hope all our lads make it back in one piece!

unlucky metalist, you played us off the park!

Follow Follow Follow

Everton is the team to followwwww

Cause there's nobody better than Mikel Arteta

he's the best little spaniard we knowwwwwww

Allright so Arteta wasn't at his best last night but can you lot not notice that the team has so much more belief when he plays? I still believe we can go all the way and never doubted we would progress last night.

I'm not saying Yakubu didn't play well - in fact he most obviously played poorly and looked lazy, just as he has done already this season.

HOWEVER

THINK ABOUT IT

Carlos Tevez looked "off the pace", as did Mascherano when they arrived... and that was not just because they were new to the league. Neither had a proper pre-season at all.... Yak hasn't either, but when he did at Pompey and 'boro, he scored bags and bags of goals.

So I'm just saying, slate his performances, but don't slate him as a player when it's ONLY THE BEGINNING OF OCTOBER.

It's not that hard to give him a chance, support him... you know, be a fan?

Oh stop it, you'll have me weeping for him shortly, whats a pre-season 3 or 4 friendlys and a months training ??./

HE'S HAD MORE THAN A MONTHS TRAINING HERE, AND FOUR OR FIVE SERIOUS MATCHES. theres no excuses for poor fitness, or the willingness to put some effort in, as for being off the pace.... he knows the pace of the Prem he's played in it for five years.

What a disappointment that was, performance wise. I actually feel sorry for Metalist, afterall they showed us how football should be played. You know the green stuff? The ball is actually supposed to be used to pass the ball on. Shock horror.

Of the starters only Lescott and McFadden showed they wanted to win, they can hold their heads up high today. Also Anichebe was great, I still don't rate him highly but if he puts in performances like that consistently then my opinion of him will change. Arteta was non-existent, I barely noticed him. Where were Stubbs' famous organisational skills last night? He was a fucking donkey, and should be put down. Yobo was poor also, but him and Lescott are our best CB pairing so let's have that back against the Bar Codes.

Is it just me or did Moyes look absolutely clueless on the touchline? He needs to learn to develop a plan fucking B, or just scrap the hoofball altogether. I was getting totally frustrated with it last night, our manager and plays are thick twats who just don't learn. They're like lambs to the slaughter.

Faddy and Vic upfront on Sunday please Mr. Moyes, and Baines back at LB. Oh and please develop a clue.

Oh stop it, you'll have me weeping for him shortly, whats a pre-season 3 or 4 friendlys and a months training ??./

HE'S HAD MORE THAN A MONTHS TRAINING HERE, AND FOUR OR FIVE SERIOUS MATCHES. theres no excuses for poor fitness, or the willingness to put some effort in, as for being off the pace.... he knows the pace of the Prem he's played in it for five years.

Pretty much sums it up really. I have to say, I am getting a bit fazed with the Yakubu fan club. I can't quite believe that people are bleeting on about how hard done to he is either. He cost Everton £11.5 million, for crying out loud. To put it in perspective, if you bought an equivalant pedegree of racehorse, and it was performing on the same level, you would stop paying to entering into races until you saw that it was capable in training. Then you would try it again, if it kept not working, you would either shoot it, put it to stud or sell the thing. As far as the football goeas, Yakubu is simply a commodity that is not showing much evidence of providing a return. Granted he needs time, but as Licker says, one of the reasons you spend so mich on a player from the preiership is that they are supposed to pretty much be up to speed. He looks as if he hasn't played the sport before, let alone for Everton. He really does need to sort himself out and Moyes needs to get a grip of him.

Edited by BlueBri

Played for a Premiership football club have you? You must have since you clearly know exactly what it takes to be fit when playing for one.

Actually, you'll find he has been playing in the Prem for four years.

Also, he has made 3 starts for us and 1 sub appearance.

I never said there is no excuse for not putting effort in; that is being lazy, and not what I was talking about. And yes, I totally agree that he's had a months training and maybe three or four serious matches... however, what about the end of his last season with Middlesbrough? He wasn't training a lot at all, and as much as that is his own fault, it still doesn't take away the fact that he hasn't been training enough.

And you seem to have misunderstood me; I was making the point that the Argentinians not knowing the league was NOT the deciding factor in any indifferent performances, but rather that they hadn't been training properly, which I don't think Yakubu has either.

Look, I'm not saying he is not at fault for his performances but rather that there is some logic with his lack of fitness other than... "He's a lazy, fat piece of ****!!!", as some supposed Evertonians seem to be saying here.

I mean, what happened to giving a player support in his first season?

And once again, what about his goal-scoring record in the Prem? Is that not enough proof that when he is fit, used to playing in the team and getting the right service that he'll do it for us as well?

As for giving Moyes shit, how about these people apply to manage the club?.... Oh wait, they wouldn't know how to, and yet the speak like the do. What a load of crap.

I have to say, I am getting a bit fazed with the Yakubu fan club. I can't quite believe that people are bleeting on about how hard done to he is either.

Well I'm just supporting one of our new boys as I think he'll do it for us and don't see the sense in slating someone who is new to the team. As for the hard done to thing, well as I said above I know that it's not good enough for a player at this club to not be fit, but there is still a better excuse for it than "he's a lazy, fat ****" THAT just doesn't make sense when you look at his record.

To put it in perspective, if you bought an equivalant pedegree of racehorse, and it was performing on the same level, you would stop paying to entering into races until you saw that it was capable in training. Then you would try it again, if it kept not working, you would either shoot it, put it to stud or sell the thing. As far as the football goeas, Yakubu is simply a commodity that is not showing much evidence of providing a return.

Yeah, fair enough. But you need to keep in mind that he has moved to a new club, team, area of the country, and we're not even a week into the season. I mean, did Lineker ever do much for the team? No, but he scored bags of goals, and even then if you look at Yakubu when he scores goals and is on form most defences in the Prem can't live with him.

Granted he needs time, but as Licker says, one of the reasons you spend so mich on a player from the preiership is that they are supposed to pretty much be up to speed. He looks as if he hasn't played the sport before, let alone for Everton. He really does need to sort himself out and Moyes needs to get a grip of him.

Aye, I agree, and I'm sure Moyes will. The point I'm making is that the lad isn't suddenly a crap player, as peoples reactions are making out.

Edited by Calico

you would stop paying to entering into races until you saw that it was capable in training. Then you would try it again, if it kept not working, you would either shoot it, put it to stud or sell the thing.

Are you suggesting we perhaps put Yakubu out to stud :rolleyes: Well don't have the ladies in waiting to far away from the stud....or by the time he gets there he wont have enough energy to do his job!!.....

Seriously was he the only striking option open to Moyes....and would he have bought him for £11million if Vaughan instead of injuring his shoulder had scored a hatrick in that game?..I don't think so!

I think he would haved tried to make do with AJ,Vaughan,McFadden and Anichebe untill the right player at the right price came along.

But He's here now, and I hope he proves us wrong

Calico said........

Actually, you'll find he has been playing in the Prem for four years.

Also, he has made 3 starts for us and 1 sub appearance.

Splitting hairs a bit there are'nt you mate.. if thats what you want OK;

YAKUBU signed for portsmouth in the transfer window Jan 6th 2003, today is October 2007 == 4years 9 months.

Yakubu appearances for Everton..... Bolton, Man utd, Aston Villa, Middlesboro, Metalist Kharkiv Twice, Sheff Weds C Cup.

4 premier, 2 Euro Cup, AND 1 Carling Cup. total 7 appearances. Plus he also played for Boro against Wigan And Blackburn before he signed for us, theres no excuse for him not being fit, he's just a lazy bugger.

But my point was, because he cost a lot of money why should that guarantee us playing him when he is not performing, he does'nt merit a starting place because in seven appearances he has shown me nothing and still doesnt appear to be fit.

You count the Carling Cup as serious?

But seriously, semantics are just taking the piss, which is why I did it. ;)

And my point is nothing to do with him being guaranteed a starting place at all. But on that note, it'll help him get match fit and used to playing in the team. We play differently to both Portsmouth and Middlesbrough, and time is needed for strikers to get into their groove... Yeah, Johnson fit in, but his game is about running the channels and creating as well as scoring, whereas Yak is about driving at defences and scoring.

Don't get me wrong, if Johnson and McFadden could play well together (which I don't think they have yet) or if Victor was a couple years older then it'd be great to bring Yak off the bench to help him get fit. Also, McFadden has been very inconsistent for us until recently and with Johnson unfit, it's gotta be Yak.... The thing with Victor is, he can give away too many fouls (due mainly to youthful exuberance :P), especially away from home and still has more to learn, so needs to be nurtured properly. I remember seeing him go in on a player at the end of last season and he easily could have done himself an injury... I think it was in the Bolton match in which Vaughan did his foot... basically, Victor could've put himself out for a while and then we'd really be buggered.

I'm just saying there is logic behind starting Yak, even if he isn't fully fit. That still doesn't mean I think piss-poor form can be allowed.

Either way, my point was about him being a quality player, and that judgement is from nearly five years of playing in the Prem.

Edited by Calico

I'm not denying he's looked out of touch AS YET, but is there any cause to slate the fella already? Beattie played 32 times last year and had 2 goals, both penalties. He's got 2 goals from them 7 appearances and the goals themselves show a true goal scorer to me?? I just want to give him time to develop. Going from personnel experience moving to a different part of the country and settling into work that wasn't so much new to me but different was a real challenge, now I'm in my second year and have grasped things pretty damn well, now i'm not suggestion it'll take that long for him but can we for a change just get behind a player??

I know Yak isn't exactly setting the world on fire for us, but Moyes knew he wasn't an Andy Johnson type player when he bought him. He bought him to score goals, be a poacher etc. So he spends £11million on him, he knows what he's good at. So what does Moyes do? He wants him to change his fucking game. Yakubu is not a fucking work horse, he never will be. If Moyes wanted a work horse then he should have bought one for crying out loud.

2. In your posts here I read some insulting things like "mentalists" and stuff like that. Do you know how our fans welcomed yours?- I bet none of you would dare to say something bad!

That was a harmless play on words and I'm sure wasnt meant to be offensive in any way.

Put it down to humour not translating.

I think the MENTALIST joke stems from a comedy show I'm Alan Partridge.

Here have a look

or the full version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YUlcyPXLo

Honestly, no offence was meant, its just a funny term and happened to be similar to your team name of Metalist.