109 replies to this topic

#41 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2011 - 16:03

Anyone know any more recent developments about Hope? I hear that he is now one of the hottest youth properties we have and attracting a lot of interest from Spurs. He's not signed pro yet.

#42 Parapluie

Parapluie

Mick Lyons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 08 Dec 2011 - 01:55

Heard that he has not been scoring much lately and forrester seems to be scoring all the goals. Also, it seems like he has been playing left midfield for a couple of the games this season

#43 StevO

StevO

Blagging on the basis of knowledge

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,032 posts

Posted 08 Dec 2011 - 14:44

Anyone know any more recent developments about Hope? I hear that he is now one of the hottest youth properties we have and attracting a lot of interest from Spurs. He's not signed pro yet.

where have you been?!

#44 Lowensda

Lowensda

A force to be reckoned with, I reckon

• Members
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 09 Dec 2011 - 09:58

where have you been?!

My thoughts exactly yesterday

#45 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 11 Dec 2011 - 22:37

lol well completely run off my feet and spent some time over the pond in the USA (no excuse seen as though they have the internet over there :) ). I've been lurking but not had time to post, now have some more free time on my hands, if there is such a thing...

#46 Louis

Louis

Dixie Dean

• Admin
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 01 Oct 2012 - 20:09

Scored for England U19 today.. http://www.thefa.com...nglandvukraine/

#47 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 18 Sep 2013 - 18:07

Just signed a new 2 year deal to keep him here until summer 2015. I think that means he'll be 21 when that deal expires, which must mean we rate him somewhat. Hopefully he can break through... We need a solid #9 for the future. Especially now that it appears Martinez doesn't really rate Vellios, and McAleny seems to be liked by Martinez, but whose development will be delayed EVEN further.

Edited by Quinn31, 18 Sep 2013 - 18:09.

#48 Zoo

Zoo

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 21 Sep 2013 - 22:19

He must have come on quite a lot then, he was nick-named 'Hope-less' when I was at Finch Farm.

#49 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 01 Jan 2014 - 14:25

Signed on loan for Northampton.

#50 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 Jan 2014 - 19:35

Not sure how I feel. Only good enough for League 2? We'll see, I guess.

#51 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 01 Jan 2014 - 19:43

Not sure how I feel. Only good enough for League 2? We'll see, I guess.

It is only his first loan tbf.

#52 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 Jan 2014 - 19:47

It is only his first loan tbf.

Fair enough. He's only 19 as well, so we'll see. At the very least, it's nice to see some youngsters getting a loan earlier in their careers.

Edited by Quinn31, 01 Jan 2014 - 19:48.

#53 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 01 Jan 2014 - 19:51

Fair enough. He's only 19 as well, so we'll see. At the very least, it's nice to see some youngsters getting a loan earlier in their careers.

I'm not sure we were even planning on loaning him out, i.e. I don't think we went looking for a club for him. Northampton are struggling so I'd wager that they came to us asking if we had any players we'd be willing to loan them.

Agreed on your latter point. There's no substitute for proper competitive football, no matter which league it is.Often our youngsters are released without us even knowing much about them, at least this way we can get a better idea of their ability.

#54 duncanmckenzieismagic

duncanmckenzieismagic

Howard Kendall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,609 posts

Posted 02 Jan 2014 - 19:53

http://www.northampt...le.asp?a=343950

#55 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2014 - 17:31

Scored in his debut today.

#56 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2014 - 19:38

Scored in his debut today.

It's be good if we could unearth a quality striker from within. It'd save us a hell of a lot of money!

#57 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2014 - 19:43

It's be good if we could unearth a quality striker from within. It'd save us a hell of a lot of money!

I thought it would be Tolis, although he cost us 250k (nothing really, to be honest), and a lot of people have hyped Conor McAleny even though he's had next to no first team football, but we'll see... Who knows, maybe Hope will have a really good spell at Northampton and we can arrange a loan with a Championship or League 1 side next season.

#58 hafnia

hafnia

Self-Proclaimed Oracle

• Members
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2014 - 19:44

I thought it would be Tolis, although he cost us 250k (nothing really, to be honest), and a lot of people have hyped Conor McAleny even though he's had next to no first team football, but we'll see... Who knows, maybe Hope will have a really good spell at Northampton and we can arrange a loan with a Championship or League 1 side next season.

Mcaleny would be our next contender but for his leg break.

#59 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 Jan 2014 - 20:07

Mcaleny would be our next contender but for his leg break.

I was disappointed by that. I follow him on Twitter, and apparently he's almost ready to return to football, so maybe he'll be able to get training again and get some reserve team action in, or maybe even a loan late in the Football League loan window (ends in late February or early March I believe).

#60 EFC-Paul

EFC-Paul

If you are going through hell....keep going

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2014 - 14:50

Never really saw anything special in McAleny from the little I've seen of Him, when He came on against Norwich he didn''t look anything other then very lightweight and weak.

Always considered Vellios to have much more about Him then any of the other young forwards we have and He's also proved he's upto the task when given the chance from the bit part appearances he's made shame his attitude seems to be suspect...

#61 Steve_E

Steve_E

Alex Young

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2014 - 14:52

Never really saw anything special in McAleny from the little I've seen of Him, when He came on against Norwich he didn''t look anything other then very lightweight and weak.

Always considered Vellios to have much more about Him then any of the other young forwards we have and He's also proved he's upto the task when given the chance from the bit part appearances he's made shame his attitude seems to be suspect...

I think Vellios has sealed his fate, not going to happen here. I liked McAleny when he came on against Arsenal, looked very quick and active, had a good shot on target if I recall correctly. But probably not going to be strong enough to play in a one up top system (if he's even going to be good enough for the PL).

#62 EFC-Paul

EFC-Paul

• Members
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2014 - 17:01

I think Vellios has sealed his fate, not going to happen here. I liked McAleny when he came on against Arsenal, looked very quick and active, had a good shot on target if I recall correctly. But probably not going to be strong enough to play in a one up top system (if he's even going to be good enough for the PL).

I agree shame really as I was really looking forward to seeing him come into the side more often and when Martinez took over I thought that would be the case...

Not convinced McAleny will make any impact in the future regardless of injuries from what I've seen He just didn't look much of a player tbh even more so much of a striker could be completely off the mark but just got that feeling from what I've seen .

Edited by EFC-Paul, 05 Jan 2014 - 17:51.

#63 Quinn31

Quinn31

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2014 - 23:42

Has anyone seen McAleny beyond the 10 minutes of time he's gotten as a late sub?

#64 Matt

Matt

United we stand, divided we fall...

• Cyber Steward
  • 29,221 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2014 - 23:45

Has anyone seen McAleny beyond the 10 minutes of time he's gotten as a late sub?

seen him in the reserves and in the u21 highlights, I've thought highly of him for a couple of years.

#65 Shukes

Shukes

Did someone call for a white knight?

• Members
  • 6,864 posts

Posted 06 Jan 2014 - 09:38

Conor is a prospect. His injury has slowed his progress but he is a gifted player.
He has a good swing on him and looked far better technically than Velios and Hope.

Hope relies on running onto through balls a lot and would struggle in our system.
Velios is a tidy player but just has not progressed at all. He doesn't really have a strength, just tidy in a few areas. Unfortunately for him that is not enough to become a premier striker.

I think a move to a championship side would be a good move for him. Needs to knuckle down and earn his stripes!

#66 EFC-Paul

EFC-Paul

• Members
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 06 Jan 2014 - 17:27

Yes hence the opinion...

First hand against Norwich and a few under 21 game's and all four He featured in for Brentford so enough for Me to doubt He may become good enough but that's just My personal opinion.

Very tidy feet and decent pace but just seemed more of an Osman type to Me as opposed to a forward and out of the three Shukes mentioned Vellios seem's to have more about Him for Me.

#67 Bailey

Bailey

Kevin Ratcliffe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,315 posts

Posted 06 Jan 2014 - 18:08

I think he hit it on the volley (or half volley) and either just glanced the keepers LH post or went past it. He was very alert and reminded me of the Michael Owen type striker but like you say, certainly not a one up top man.

Yes hence the opinion...

First hand against Norwich and a few under 21 game's and all four He featured in for Brentford so enough for Me to doubt He may become good enough but that's just My personal opinion.

Very tidy feet and decent pace but just seemed more of an Osman type to Me as opposed to a forward and out of the three Shukes mentioned Vellios seem's to have more about Him for Me.

They are completely different players to compare really. Like I said above, McAleny is that poacher type. Small, nimble and pretty quick with a good technical ability where as Vellios is more of a big strong target man who also seems to be good technically but he seems to have some sort of attitude problem. I imagine they would probably work quite well as a pair tbh. McAleny is probably the better footballer, but Vellios will probably get further in the game due to his physical ability.

#68 Bailey

Bailey

Kevin Ratcliffe

• Members
  • 8,315 posts

Posted 06 Jan 2014 - 18:11

Here's the attempt from McAleny against Arsenal (all I could find in about 10 secs lol).

#69 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2014 - 22:32

Gone on loan to Bury.

#70 Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2014 - 16:20

And he scored Bury's opening goal today.

#71 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2014 - 07:20

Scored again for them last night.

#72 TonkaRoost

TonkaRoost

American Evertonian

• Members
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 02 Apr 2014 - 13:55

Two in two games?

It always seems Hope is scoring -- whether it be for reserves on when he's loaned out.

#73 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 07:28

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/26851765

#74 hafnia

hafnia

Self-Proclaimed Oracle

• Members
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 08:56

always good to hear, if he's not prem quality then at least get a few bob in for him after giving him some exposure. 

#75 Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 15:49

always good to hear, if he's not prem quality then at least get a few bob in for him after giving him some exposure. 

Now that's damning with faint praise. Are you saying he's not up to snuff for Everton?

#76 hafnia

hafnia

Self-Proclaimed Oracle

• Members
  • 19,139 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 16:02

Now that's damning with faint praise. Are you saying he's not up to snuff for Everton?

No I said its always good to hear (as in one of our youngsters making an impression in lower league)

I also said that if they are not up to Prem level (which is always a possibility) - then the exposure can justify a cash transfer.

No faint praise, just a realistic point of view that not every young lad is going to be Wayne Rooney.  He may turn out to be a gem after this loan - we will see.  But correct use of the loan system at least can generate exposure for players who may not be good enough for the first team.

#77 MC11

MC11

Kevin Ratcliffe

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 16:49

I don't think he'll make it. George Green though.... Yes

#78 Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve

Alan Ball

• Members
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 03 Apr 2014 - 17:26

But correct use of the loan system at least can generate exposure for players who may not be good enough for the first team.

Agree with you completely on this.

#79 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,210 posts

Posted 26 Apr 2014 - 15:42

Scored another 2 today.

#80 BlueBlood81

BlueBlood81

Trevor Steven