140 replies to this topic

#41 Matt

Matt

United we stand, divided we fall...

• Cyber Steward
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,234 posts

Posted 23 Apr 2010 - 12:20

dunno about that Marco but hes better than that twat Cole. He is so unbelievably overrated...

#42 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 23 Apr 2010 - 13:12

ok maybe more than a handful i may have got carried away there! cole is better in my opinion i dont think he is overrated at all...i think evra is overrated and i'm struggling beyond them two who would be considered by the majority to be better than baines in the prem! and then look around europe you got players like zambrotta, chivu, lahm, maxwell and maybe abidal..im struggling beyond them myself but maybe some of the more clued up members can add some in there cos my european football knowledge isnt amazing

#43 MikeO

MikeO

Scars are tattoos with better stories.

• Admin
  • 39,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:25

In the starting XI v Mexico tonight :) . Cup Final players rested so no Cole but confirms he's second choice currently.

#44 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:28

will have milner infront of him too and he's a grafter so might give him more help than gerrard did last time! give baines more of a chance to show what he can do :D

second thoughts milner might not be on the wing lookin at the formation they just displayed

Edited by marcopaulo, 24 May 2010 - 18:34.

#45 CraccerC

CraccerC

Simão Sabrosa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:33

dunno about that Marco but hes better than that twat Cole. He is so unbelievably overrated...

disagree, best left-back in the world IMO...baines is good, but he's nowhere near as good as ashley cole...no chance

#46 c1982

c1982

COYB!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,410 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 21:13

disagree, best left-back in the world IMO...baines is good, but he's nowhere near as good as ashley cole...no chance

Easily the best lb in world but because he's english, english people won't recognise that.

#47 adz09

adz09

Dixie Dean.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 21:23

Baines wasnt as good tonight as in his previous game, he was beaten on numerous occasions. Felt for him because again he didnt get the cover that walcott (even he tracked back) offered on the right hand side. Think he will still go to the world cup however i would expect better, if he played like that in the royal blue i wouldnt be happy.

#48 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:14

made one mistake of note and that is all i can remember really...most the attacks went down the middle from what i saw..granted only had 1 eye on it though

#49 Lowensda

Lowensda

A force to be reckoned with, I reckon

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:15

made one mistake of note and that is all i can remember really...most the attacks went down the middle from what i saw..granted only had 1 eye on it though

What happened to the other one Marco? :rolleyes:

#50 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:29

I thought he was pretty poor tbh, but he wasn't the only one (as usual with England). How Carrick plays for England is a joke. Walcott's another one - I don't think I've ever seen someone so classily run into opposition players with such consistency :P.

#51 DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:34

Hes only one of the best full backs in the world........ so he must be crap if you say so....

#52 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:41

What happened to the other one Marco? :rolleyes:

always one ain't there :lol:

he's obviously cemented as the number 2 now at left back anyways seeing as warnock didn't get a game..

agree with romey about carrick..he's dogshit..gave the ball away so many times yesterday with simple passes! beyond me aswell why he is playing for england

#53 DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Trevor Steven

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:45

always one ain't there :lol:

he's obviously cemented as the number 2 now at left back anyways seeing as warnock didn't get a game..

agree with romey about carrick..he's dogshit..gave the ball away so many times yesterday with simple passes! beyond me aswell why he is playing for england

Because Warnock will play on Sunday perhaps...........

#54 AgentSmith

AgentSmith

Lee Carsley

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:06

I thought Baines was unlucky to be honest. He had no protection from Gerrard who was suppose to be playing left mid. Baines had to deal with both the winger and the full back. I was a little disappointed he didnt try to get forward more but then again you dont know if he was told not to?

#55 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:23

Because Warnock will play on Sunday perhaps...........

i reckon cole will...he will wanna get the first 11 together before the game i think but who knows

#56 Lowensda

Lowensda

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:59

Cole, as Craccer says is arguably the best LB in the world. Baines was poor yday but as Smith said, only because the lack of protection from whoever(!?!) was on the left and playing against that standard of opposition, you need both parties (Def & Mid) to pull their weight and track back.

Baines had to deal with not only the forward but one other player nearly everytime. Admittingly he got skinned, twice, on a one-one but still doesn't excuse someone not doing their job.

Carrick is shite. Whats happened to him? Have you noticed though, alot of the team who played yday do not start for their respective clubs?

Crouch. Carrick. Walcott...

and others who have barely played this end of the season (injury): Ferdinand, J.Cole, Lennon.

Then you look at teams like Spain whose players who have played consistantly all season, at the highest level and start 99% of the time.

Bad isn't it

#57 Kohen

Kohen

Kevin Sheedy

• Members
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:14

I thought Walcott did well, getting back to help Johnson, I suppose you can fault his final ball/decision making but he gets into the dangerous areas where he can put a good ball in, have a shot or win a freekick.

Saying that Aaron Lennon also looked dangerous when he came on, whether that was to do with the oppositions tired legs, who knows.

Defending Baines because of lack of cover is all well and good, but he made a couple of mistakes which could have been costly. Still the right choice for #2 left-back but I doubt he'll see a game in SA unless Cole gets injured.

#58 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:53

Cole, as Craccer says is arguably the best LB in the world. Baines was poor yday but as Smith said, only because the lack of protection from whoever(!?!) was on the left and playing against that standard of opposition, you need both parties (Def & Mid) to pull their weight and track back.

Baines had to deal with not only the forward but one other player nearly everytime. Admittingly he got skinned, twice, on a one-one but still doesn't excuse someone not doing their job.

Carrick is shite. Whats happened to him? Have you noticed though, alot of the team who played yday do not start for their respective clubs?

Crouch. Carrick. Walcott...

and others who have barely played this end of the season (injury): Ferdinand, J.Cole, Lennon.

Then you look at teams like Spain whose players who have played consistantly all season, at the highest level and start 99% of the time.

Bad isn't it

am i only the person who thinks he's always been shite? :blink: mate of mine says he has gone downhill since joinin utd but for me he just isn't good enough! he was ok at spurs in a much poorer side than they have now imo!

#59 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:02

am i only the person who thinks he's always been shite? :blink:

Nope, I'm with you on that all the way.

#60 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:23

Nope, I'm with you on that all the way.

mate of mine is a man u fan and loves him...really does baffle me i don't get it! he's slow...can't really tackle and does 1 good pass a game! johnny does more than that in 5 mins!

#61 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:40

Carrick looks good against the Wigan's but in the big games, when it really matters, like against Barcelona in the Champions League final and he's absolutely anonymous. And like you said, he's slow, can't tackle. He tries the Hollywood ball far too often and it rarely comes off, and he has no awareness of what's around him and plays balls blind which is why he gives the ball away so often.

Basically, I think he's garbage.

#62 Bailey

Bailey

Kevin Ratcliffe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:43

I may as well add my 2 cents worth... :)

Cole is the best left back in the world, he may well be a twat but he is a quality defender and is qualiy going forward.

Carrick is a good player but he isnt anything special. His confidence is low and it really showed yesterday as well as for Man utd this year.

Walcott has one of the worst footballing brains in the game. He is fast as fuck but Stevie Wonder can see passes better than him. He wastes too much ball and if he plays against a quick FB he is shit.

Bainsy had a shocker yesterday. He looked likehe wasnt bothered to be perfectly honest (wasnt the only one). He also looked very shackled, he very rarely got forward, he had absolutely no support when he did and defensively he just ddnt look focussed but as has already been mentioned he had very little cover.

Im not sure any of the players had a good game yesterday. Green made a good save (the other was right at him) but the media seem to be forgetting the timid shot that he fumbled ridiculously which could quite have easily fallen straight to an oppo striker.

Rio & King were poor, Milner looked lost, Gerrard went walkies 1st half but did better 2nd, and all the strikers were anonymous due to the complete lack of service. 3-1 really did flatter!

#63 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:44

total fee of about 18million apparently united paid :blink: didn't think it was as much as that! what's that fergie? cahill, arteta, pienaar and johnny with about 6million to spare?

#64 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:18

http://www.liverpool...-name_page.html

#65 Lowensda

Lowensda

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 13:13

http://blogs.coventr...10-leighto.html

http://www.liverpool...92534-26522499/

Even though he was pretty poor, i agree with these two who mirror the feelings of Gerrard. He is now in the media eyes, the same descriptive word i use for him. Cnut!

#66 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,500 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 13:33

I feel dirty agreeing with Lawrenson :unsure: .

#67 Lowensda

Lowensda

• Members
  • 14,824 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 21:14

I feel dirty agreeing with Lawrenson :unsure: .

You slag :P

#68 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,500 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 18:39

You'd have though Baines would be safely into the twenty-three given the fact that Warnock's not played at all in the last three games....although this article sees it a bit differently...

http://www.telegraph...en-Warnock.html

#69 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 19:01

The article was written before the game today though and Warnock didn't play did he?

#70 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,500 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 19:16

The article was written before the game today though and Warnock didn't play did he?

Realise that but he says...

"Capello could end up playing Cole for the full 90 minutes (against Japan)– although he is likely to be replaced at half-time – and still include Warnock after observing the Aston Villa left-back during England's training camps in Austria, which have sandwiched Monday's friendly against Mexico."

#71 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 20:05

Realise that but he says...

"Capello could end up playing Cole for the full 90 minutes (against Japan)– although he is likely to be replaced at half-time – and still include Warnock after observing the Aston Villa left-back during England's training camps in Austria, which have sandwiched Monday's friendly against Mexico."

Ah, I just skimmed it. It wouldn't surprise me though, Capello's making fucked up decisions left, right, and centre with this England squad.

#72 Bailey

Bailey

Kevin Ratcliffe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 21:20

Ah, I just skimmed it. It wouldn't surprise me though, Capello's making fucked up decisions left, right, and centre with this England squad.

He has certainly made a few strange decisions... I would be gutted for Baines is he didnt make the cut as he would basically be saying that he has been shit in the games he has played. Admittedly he wasnt great against Mexico but he did very well against Egypt.

I also feel a bit sorry for Scott Parker, he played his skin off for West Ham this year but finds Carrick and Huddlestone ahead of him in the DM role. IMO he should have at least been given a chance, especially as Carrick has been terrible most of this season.

#73 Everton_Worshiper

Everton_Worshiper

David Moyes

• Members
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:54

Carrick is probably the most overrated player in the Premiership.

#74 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:58

Carrick is probably the most overrated player in the Premiership.

Amen to that. I wouldn't swap him for any of our midfielders, not even Gosling.

#75 Rubecula

Rubecula

COFFIN DODGER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:08

Personally I wouldn't have Carrick pass me the salt at dinner.

But when did the choices of any England manager get full approval from the fans?

#76 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 14:18

Personally I wouldn't have Carrick pass me the salt at dinner.

But when did the choices of any England manager get full approval from the fans?

post of the year so far :lol: :lol:

i made my feelings on carrick well known in another thread and i am in total agreement he is the biggest overpaid shower of shite in the premiership

#77 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 14:52

He looks like a gorm too, can't someone teach him how to close his mouth?

#78 marcopaulo

marcopaulo

marcopaulo - pun lover

• Members
  • 13,692 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 15:24

and to play footy whilst they're at it

#79 Romey 1878

Romey 1878

Mildo

• Cyber Steward
  • 44,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 19:01

http://www.footballt...ad-sheet-leaked

If it's right then Carragher, King, Upson, Walcott, Carrick and Heskey are the wrong choices IMO.

Edited by Romey 1878, 31 May 2010 - 19:03.

#80 MikeO

MikeO

• Admin
  • 39,500 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 19:55

This would suggest to me that Baines is in...

'During the wins over Mexico and Japan, England showed only glimpses of their best form, leading Capello to reveal to BBC Sport: "I know my squad for South Africa. It is the same 23 that was always in my mind."'

Would seem that his troubles against Mexico haven't counted against him :) .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users