IGNORED

Baines In England Squad

MikeO

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get much opportunity to go forward because he had Gerrard infront of him on the left who was never going to give him support and he should probably stop taking set-pieces for England because they were woeful (just like they've been for us), but he looked solid defensively. Nicely done Leighton.

first corner was a cracker we almost scored from...second was played to gerrard at near post almost scored from...3rd was a free kick that was shit granted...that was it i think bit harsh to say woeful

He didnt do much wrong, but he didnt shower himself in glory either.

We know he can do better, his first start at Wembley has got to be pretty daunting but he came through unscathed in my opinion.

I think he will go to the world cup, hes the best option for the LB slot, he just needs to be a bit more attacking minded. Who knows though, he might have been asked to play a little more defensive?

(Great defensive header in the first half though, well done Bainsey :))

Yeah i thought he done well yesterday, and his set pieces as marco says wernt that bad romey

I was just made up to see one of our players get the recognition he has deserved in getting the full 90 last night, i hardly watched the match because everytime baines came intot he picture int he slightest way, i would be watching his every move haha

There was a point in the 2nd half were he drifted in towards the box as it was played in, only for crouch to go for the big overhead kick and divert the ball, it was about to land on leightons toes, that woulda been special if it had of done and he put it away haha

first corner was a cracker we almost scored from...second was played to gerrard at near post almost scored from...3rd was a free kick that was shit granted...that was it i think bit harsh to say woeful

Yeh I agree! TBH I have seen delivery from England players to be a lot worse than that, with the likes of Becks, Gerrard and Lampard failing to beat the 1st man repeatedly.

For the most part his corners and crossing was spot on and as the article says he had to put up with Gerrard wandering all over the place meaning at times he was 3 vs 1! He was able to do a lot more when Milner played down the left and I thought they linked up well.

Having said that I also rate Warnock and my worry about Leighton would be his height which could be exploited by some teams. But as already stated on here he is probably the most rounded LB available and Id definately have him ahead of Bridge who I have is a player that is for the majority crap, but then has a couple of good games.

• 1 month later...

He has to be going to the World Cup, just read this in the Echo:

PLAYERS who can score goals have become the single most expensive commodity in European football.

You only need to hear the stellar price tags stuck on footballers like Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and Wayne Rooney to realise that goal-scorers are viewed as footballs true VIPs.

But what of those who create them? Very few strikers will regularly create a goal from nothing.

The top sides rely on skilful artisans in midfield who can cross a ball on a sixpence or producer the killer pass which unleashed their centre forward through on goal.

They too are essential. Yet, when a team is blessed with a defender who can turn producer on a prolific basis, they truly are worth their weight in gold.

Step forward Leighton Baines who, with nine assists and counting, is ahead of Chelsea's Florent Malouda and Liverpool's Steven Gerrard in the creator stakes.

Baines, 25, has the most assists of any defender in the Premier League, and feels that creating goals is almost as personally rewarding as scoring, a knack he also possesses, not least from his well-executed free-kicks.

"An assist is almost as good for me as scoring a goal. It's a bonus," he says.

"I'm a defender and my job is to help the team that way, but I love to get forward and contribute as well."

Edited by galacticaracnid

didn't realise he had that many assists to be honest! he's amongst the top left backs in the world for me and i honestly can only think of a handful better! he has had a great couple of years and at 25 not even in his prime yet! donovan said baines should be player of the year and its hard to argue really..

ok maybe more than a handful i may have got carried away there! cole is better in my opinion i dont think he is overrated at all...i think evra is overrated and i'm struggling beyond them two who would be considered by the majority to be better than baines in the prem! and then look around europe you got players like zambrotta, chivu, lahm, maxwell and maybe abidal..im struggling beyond them myself but maybe some of the more clued up members can add some in there cos my european football knowledge isnt amazing

• 1 month later...

will have milner infront of him too and he's a grafter so might give him more help than gerrard did last time! give baines more of a chance to show what he can do :D

second thoughts milner might not be on the wing lookin at the formation they just displayed

Edited by marcopaulo

Baines wasnt as good tonight as in his previous game, he was beaten on numerous occasions. Felt for him because again he didnt get the cover that walcott (even he tracked back) offered on the right hand side. Think he will still go to the world cup however i would expect better, if he played like that in the royal blue i wouldnt be happy.

What happened to the other one Marco? :rolleyes:

always one ain't there :lol:

he's obviously cemented as the number 2 now at left back anyways seeing as warnock didn't get a game..

agree with romey about carrick..he's dogshit..gave the ball away so many times yesterday with simple passes! beyond me aswell why he is playing for england

always one ain't there :lol:

he's obviously cemented as the number 2 now at left back anyways seeing as warnock didn't get a game..

agree with romey about carrick..he's dogshit..gave the ball away so many times yesterday with simple passes! beyond me aswell why he is playing for england

Because Warnock will play on Sunday perhaps...........

I thought Baines was unlucky to be honest. He had no protection from Gerrard who was suppose to be playing left mid. Baines had to deal with both the winger and the full back. I was a little disappointed he didnt try to get forward more but then again you dont know if he was told not to?

Cole, as Craccer says is arguably the best LB in the world. Baines was poor yday but as Smith said, only because the lack of protection from whoever(!?!) was on the left and playing against that standard of opposition, you need both parties (Def & Mid) to pull their weight and track back.

Baines had to deal with not only the forward but one other player nearly everytime. Admittingly he got skinned, twice, on a one-one but still doesn't excuse someone not doing their job.

Carrick is shite. Whats happened to him? Have you noticed though, alot of the team who played yday do not start for their respective clubs?

Crouch. Carrick. Walcott...

and others who have barely played this end of the season (injury): Ferdinand, J.Cole, Lennon.

Then you look at teams like Spain whose players who have played consistantly all season, at the highest level and start 99% of the time.

Bad isn't it

I thought Walcott did well, getting back to help Johnson, I suppose you can fault his final ball/decision making but he gets into the dangerous areas where he can put a good ball in, have a shot or win a freekick.

Saying that Aaron Lennon also looked dangerous when he came on, whether that was to do with the oppositions tired legs, who knows.

Defending Baines because of lack of cover is all well and good, but he made a couple of mistakes which could have been costly. Still the right choice for #2 left-back but I doubt he'll see a game in SA unless Cole gets injured.

Cole, as Craccer says is arguably the best LB in the world. Baines was poor yday but as Smith said, only because the lack of protection from whoever(!?!) was on the left and playing against that standard of opposition, you need both parties (Def & Mid) to pull their weight and track back.

Baines had to deal with not only the forward but one other player nearly everytime. Admittingly he got skinned, twice, on a one-one but still doesn't excuse someone not doing their job.

Carrick is shite. Whats happened to him? Have you noticed though, alot of the team who played yday do not start for their respective clubs?

Crouch. Carrick. Walcott...

and others who have barely played this end of the season (injury): Ferdinand, J.Cole, Lennon.

Then you look at teams like Spain whose players who have played consistantly all season, at the highest level and start 99% of the time.

Bad isn't it

am i only the person who thinks he's always been shite? :blink: mate of mine says he has gone downhill since joinin utd but for me he just isn't good enough! he was ok at spurs in a much poorer side than they have now imo!