IGNORED

Martinez won't last the season

I don't want this to be a "Your not giving him a chance thread" so I honestly believe we will be poor next season a bit like a villa last year. But Martinez won't last the bad spell. I think because of the indifference towards the appointment ppl will be on his back very quick. If the total of his transfer dealings is Kone Alcaraz and even Redmond Then everyone will be there saying I told you so. I want him to prove me wrong a get us sixth but the stats don't lie and her relegated a team that Steve Bruce kept up. I am very nervous about next season and the quality of the players we are most linked with are average to poor

When he was being linked there was a massive swell of opinion stating how his win rate was very low. How he plays attractive football but not good enough defending

thats true but they failed to realise one important thing.

We already have a defense, one thats not going to forget how to defend overnight.

Really Martinez must be excited to be able to come into a team that has a solid defense already.

I honestly think this is the right guy for us. We needed a manager that will go for the jugular, and he plays attacking football.

I would also like to risk the wrath of a few here by saying....ahem cough!...Moyes was not the finished article until he came to us. Maybe BK had a big influence in how Davey boy progressed, and maybe he can bring RM along a bit too. I am hoping that we have made an appointment along the same lines as we did with DM. A manager that we are looking to stick with and build upon.

Let's see how the season unfolds.

I think it will take a while before Martinez makes any significant changes to the way we play football. We don't need fixing. We just need better players. Our football has been sublime in periods, and no reason to change too much.

Martinez to last one season, when Moyes was allowed 11 years in the end, to just continue on, and all that time, never being able to bring in that much elusive trophy ?

That said, Martinez getting a shock FA cup win this season with his previous club, Kenwright could be thrilled enough, and keep the Spaniard in charge until the return of Halleys Comet.

Let's put this into perspective. Seems to be two or three groups of people in this whole Martinez business, and damn knows, there's been enough threads about it.

Group One - Martinez is fucking gold dust. Best thing since the invention of the wheel. Will bring Everton the league championship, FA cup, League Cup, LDV Vans Trophy, and World Club Cup in Tokyo in his first year in charge, be manager of the season, they'll maybe build him a statue outside of Goodison Park in his honor. Will put together such a great and outstanding team, the side/s of 1967-71 will resemble eleven Mike Milligans, etc

Group Two - Martinez, while not everyone's choice, are curious to see what will occur, at and least allow a chance. Not expecting miracles or overnight success, but maybe an uprise in fortunes with at least the promise of some offensive play and a bit more attacking emphasis than before.

Group Three - an unmitigated disaster. A return to the second division for the first time since the mid-1950s is imminent. I'm very apprehensive about this appointment and have real bad instincts about this.

Have to be in the middle category here. For the last time, wasn't my first choice, ideally wanted someone else, but what's done is done. No sense in crying over what might have been. We'll allow him his chance, see what he can put together and take it from there.

If (and it is an if) he can deliver the clubs first trophy in what will be 19 overdue years next end of season, more power to him. Not expected it, but at least with a more attacking approach, and moving on from David Moyes often tentative bullshit philosophies, we at least have a chance to get at sides a bit more and really can make some progress that wasn't quite shown before.

Bottom line is, Martinez will be manager by end of year, and by end of season. The author of this is entitled to opinions though. Good enough.

Not expected it, but at least with a more attacking approach, and moving on from David Moyes often tentative bullshit philosophies, we at least have a chance to get at sides a bit more and really can make some progress that wasn't quite shown before. by end of year, and by end season.

The more threads I read on this topic, the more I can see my clear hope for the coming season: Moyes achieved sixth place by trying to not lose; Martinez could achieve sixth place by trying to win. It's a big difference, because the latter strategy builds the momentum needed to break into the top four in future seasons.

United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool.

After that, I don't see any other teams who are in our league, so it's kind of expected that we should 'at least' hit top 7.

Anything better is success, but anything less is a failure. I think both extremes are unlikely, so where does he go? Hiding to nothing.

Martinez to last one season, when Moyes was allowed 11 years in the end, to just continue on, and all that time, never being able to bring in that much elusive trophy ?

Are Everton really a club that can DEMAND titles? At best we can expect to be challenging for them but we cant really expect the club to win titles, there are so many clubs in England with better title claims than Everton.

Avin has listed 6 clubs with better title claims than Everton. Thats not really good odds to win a title. At the moment, all we can hope for is a cup and perhaps 4th place. If we could get either id be chuffed to bits.

I'd even be happy with a European League place. Get some money and European experience and keep building on that.

As for Memmaclub, Everton has not lost a single player good enough for the starting 11. How could a manager change your opinion on the team so much?

I don't want this to be a "Your not giving him a chance thread" so I honestly believe we will be poor next season a bit like a villa last year. But Martinez won't last the bad spell. I think because of the indifference towards the appointment ppl will be on his back very quick. If the total of his transfer dealings is Kone Alcaraz and even Redmond Then everyone will be there saying I told you so. I want him to prove me wrong a get us sixth but the stats don't lie and her relegated a team that Steve Bruce kept up. I am very nervous about next season and the quality of the players we are most linked with are average to poor

Listen, I don't know you personally but if I may make an observation?

If you were around when DM got the job the same feelings of nervous trepidation were around then too. I put your comments down to being a little bit scared of the future. It is natural for real supporters to feel this way. Most of us do. But (and despite Martinez not being my choice either) I am willing to wait for the job to start before casting aspersions on his abilities, try taking a deep breath. Count to ten, and sit back and see what happens. We know how you feel, we feel it too. But all the cursing in the world will not bring DM back now.

RELAX before I kill you ... :rofl:

What annoys me is the fact that people whinged and moaned about Moyes being the Everton manager and then continue to cry and whinge when we get somebody else. I've never seen a fan-base like it. Evertonians at time are a total embarrassment, constantly whinging and moaning rather than getting behind the people in charge. Martinez hasn't even managed a game for us yet and people want him to go - it's bizarre.

What an absolute twat of a thread to start. I'll be critical as you like about things I'm able to be so based on facts, and I'll back them up and make them stand up. The worrying thing is you appear to be wanting to be proven right about something you have no clue about.

I'm sure some people spend more time behind their pc's following opinions rather than using their own mind to create their own. Martinez I think based on what I have seen will create a culture within the club of fearless expansive football. Will I be proven right? Yes I will and I look forward to memma holding his hands up at his premature negativity.

It's important to stay positive about things until proven otherwise, only then you can all try and outdo me for being such a miserable doom and gloom merchant.

Stupid thread. We don't have the money to sack him and we wouldn't that's the case as it is. He will get his chance to prove himself. I can't say I'm his biggest supporter I don't trust Roberto Martinez I have no idea what to expect from him, in some ways he's exciting but I for god don't trust him with whatever money we have. 5 million for Kone 29 years old dreadful business absolutely poor business. Especially considering he said he didn't need to buy players from Wigan and we found explore other options looking at a broader market then what does he go and do goes straight back to Wigan for an overaged player who isn't going to bring down the age of our already ageing squad which is the 2nd oldest team in the premier league. Not impressed by his actions at the moment in terms of his transfer activity and targets. He has said some good things in his interview which can get fans exciting but actions speak louder than words we are yet to see any action yet but not impressed by the proposed signing of Kone not at all!

Things could just click under Martinez, Coleman and Vic could keep getting better, Jellavic could start scoring, Baines might stay and have a great season with Pienaar, hell! the players might just enjoy a fresh approach.

Other teams might just slip up a tad.

Just wish the new man well and hold your nerve, that's what we did with Moyes.

I could attest to a few things on this overall thread piece.

One or two may be pessimistic about Martinez' appointment, or with life in general. Can't dispute that. I'm no epitome of fucking joy and laughter myself but above all else, the thread title just bellows 'nonsense'. If Memmaclub had chosen a better (more appropriate / less belligerent) title, this wouldn't have instigated so much rage, ill-feeling and deridement. That's where the main issue rests. What was subsequently said was good enough.

Here's the general consensus on things, or at least, how I now see it.

I'm not expecting european soccer in Martinez' first season in charge.

I'm not expecting a relegation with Martinez' first season in charge.

I'm not expected great things, and as before, certainly don't expect - in that he won't - be fired by end of season at such an early stage in his next career path.

I expect a finish around the UEFA cup places, maybe 6th - 8th, and a better chance than we've had in years, to finally bring a domestic trophy back to Goodison Park since the 1994-95 season. Not setting sights too high, or by the same token, think Martinez will be an ultimate failure and have us scrapping away near the relegation places, back to how it was with Walker and Smith for example, although even Moyes was guilty of that for one or two seasons, despite all the other fine work he achieved.

Give Martinez a chance, is really end of discussion here. Wasn't first choice for many, but there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it now. We'll improve in the cup tournaments at least you would imagine than before and if Martinez can get the players playing and showing a bit more attacking endeavor, that many will hope for, and delivers a trophy we have lacked for so long, then he will have been a success. Moyes was never going to last forever.

So in response to many of the comments this is an opinion based forum so I am giving my honest assessment of a Manager I don't believe to be up to the job. There were better options. I honestly believe Bill saw the FA Cup win and thought he is amazing. I don't think we scowered Europe or even England for the best manager we went with what the press said. I understand we won't get a Wenger But I wanted a bit more effort taken rather than just plump for the presses best option.

Few questions for you memmaclub.

Were you one of the people who were wanting Moyes out? On the whiole no although like most people there were certain games that left me fuming and ill admit I called for his head.

Kone - 6mil. A bit over priced not going to lie about that but again do you think we could get someone like Pauliniho who has signed for Spurs? I want us to pick up good deals in younger players. Kone has had a decent season in the prem. is he going improve our striking options? Is he better than jelavic on a good day? To spend money on a striker he needs to be proven as better than what we have. Jelavic vic Kone all good on there day but no one miles better than the other. And he is 30.

Who would you of wanted to manage Everton? (If Martinez wasn't our manager) simple answer Steve Clarke great foundation worked with the best and made a very good fist of a WBA team who are no better on paper than Wigan.

You cannot compare us to Wigan in any way, shape or form, do you honestly think we will do that bad with Martinez that he will be sacked in January?

Everyone is right we have a strong defence But they have to be coached and protected correctly by the rest of the team. People say you can't compare us to Wigan when in reality I am just looking at the record of our manager if I can't do that how else can I form an opinion. Do ppl honestly believe It has been the quality of players that got Wigan relegated and Martinez is blameless. You can excuse facts to fit your argument.

Were you around when Moyes got appointed?

Yes it was a completely different thing. We were relegation fodder and we aren't now.