IGNORED

Jersey: Blank or Player name?

Gusto181

Thinking of getting an Everton jersey for match day or any other day I feel like being awesome.

Question: is it considered lame or bad form to get a player name on the back?

I only ask because it's common practice here in the states to get an NBA or NFL jersey with a name and number. I'm not sure if they even sell them without. Baseball jerseys seem to be about 50/50 blank or with a player name. Most often its a hall of fame caliber player on the back.

But for a football jersey, should you only be under the age 18 or playing for actual club to get a name on the back? Clearly they sell both and it's a matter of opinion which you prefer. At the same time, I very much enjoy not being a dolt.

I apologize up front such a stupid question, please take it easy on me!

-Nate

Thinking of getting an Everton jersey for match day or any other day I feel like being awesome.

Question: is it considered lame or bad form to get a player name on the back?

I only ask because it's common practice here in the states to get an NBA or NFL jersey with a name and number. I'm not sure if they even sell them without. Baseball jerseys seem to be about 50/50 blank or with a player name. Most often its a hall of fame caliber player on the back.

But for a football jersey, should you only be under the age 18 or playing for actual club to get a name on the back? Clearly they sell both and it's a matter of opinion which you prefer. At the same time, I very much enjoy not being a dolt.

I apologize up front such a stupid question, please take it easy on me!

-Nate

It's entirely your choice mate? How old are you? If you're a young lad and you want to then go for it. The older you get I suppose the more frowned on it becomes but I'm a firm believer of fuck it , if you want a name and feel comfortable with it just do it and bollocks to everyone else's opinion but if you're looking to fit in with the status quo so to speak, if you 're an older guy then generally they wont get a name. Lads in there twenties tend to.

Do what you feel is right champ

It's entirely your choice mate? How old are you? If you're a young lad and you want to then go for it. The older you get I suppose the more frowned on it becomes but I'm a firm believer of fuck it , if you want a name and feel comfortable with it just do it and bollocks to everyone else's opinion but if you're looking to fit in with the status quo so to speak, if you 're an older guy then generally they wont get a name. Lads in there twenties tend to.

Do what you feel is right champ

All good advice,

Be different and get ToffeeTalk put on it :)

Seriously though as Paddock has already said do what you want to it's your shirt mate

"ToffeeTalk.com" ;)

Mike - I've seen people with classic names on their back.. Ball, Dean, Labone etc. You might be able to get "Geary" ? :)

"ToffeeTalk.com" ;)

Mike - I've seen people with classic names on their back.. Ball, Dean, Labone etc. You might be able to get "Geary" ? :)

:dry:

Yeah but back in those days there were no names on shirts and no squad numbers (as you know). We played in 1 to 11 every week (as did everyone) and the players wore the shirt they were given. I have a plain number 8 for Bally and that's good enough for me (though it's far too big for me at the moment) :).

Its a "blank" from me, I think past the age of 18 it starts looking a bit childish unless for example there was deeper meaning - i.e having Foe on the back of a Man City shirt.

But... each to their own, if Lukaku goes and gets us 40 prem goals next season I will go and buy all 3 shirts with his name on them.

I'll chime in as a fellow American. I tend to feel the need to have a name/number on the back, mostly for the reasons you noted in your original post. It's convention in the states to have names/number. The only jerseys you tend to not see them on are baseball jerseys... But who really buys baseball jerseys anyhow?

I tend to buy a new shirt every year. I feel no shame in getting a player's name and number on it. I tend to go for either fringe players who I'm excited to see play a bigger part in the coming year or players who have been long-standing servants to the club. Another criteria, and one which will stand the test of time should they leave the club, is that I enjoy this player's game and would be a fan of them even if they left the club (hence, I'm still happy to wear my Arteta shirt...even if it is the atrocious 25th anniversary Le Coq Sportif shirt with the bib).

I'm 27, married, and finishing a PhD. I don't give a fuck if people think it's childish to have a name/number on my shirt. It's generally something people expect in the US. And, sports are for children anyhow.

My two cents: Don't worry about what people think, in regards to the sports jersey you're wearing. You already look like a kid, so just run with it. Go for either Barkley, McCarthy or Lukaku. They have several years on their contract, and if they are sold, their shirts will still have resale value, since the sky is the limit for those 3.

I usually put a number on the back but no name. Either my favorite number (usually 13), or a number of a player on the team that I like. But no name.

Go with 23 and no Coleman...cheaper anyways.

Not cheaper sadly, they charge £12 even if you have just a name, just a number or both.

I'll chime in as a fellow American. I tend to feel the need to have a name/number on the back, mostly for the reasons you noted in your original post. It's convention in the states to have names/number. The only jerseys you tend to not see them on are baseball jerseys... But who really buys baseball jerseys anyhow?

I tend to buy a new shirt every year. I feel no shame in getting a player's name and number on it. I tend to go for either fringe players who I'm excited to see play a bigger part in the coming year or players who have been long-standing servants to the club. Another criteria, and one which will stand the test of time should they leave the club, is that I enjoy this player's game and would be a fan of them even if they left the club (hence, I'm still happy to wear my Arteta shirt...even if it is the atrocious 25th anniversary Le Coq Sportif shirt with the bib).

I'm 27, married, and finishing a PhD. I don't give a fuck if people think it's childish to have a name/number on my shirt. It's generally something people expect in the US. And, sports are for children anyhow.

My two cents: Don't worry about what people think, in regards to the sports jersey you're wearing. You already look like a kid, so just run with it. Go for either Barkley, McCarthy or Lukaku. They have several years on their contract, and if they are sold, their shirts will still have resale value, since the sky is the limit for those 3.

I'll also weigh in on this one. I actively dislike the idea of wearing a name on my back...and the only jersey I own is a blank baseball jersey :). Because it's so hard to get jerseys without names for other American sports, I end up getting tshirts or sweatshirts, etc. But hey, I'm only 26, engaged and have a couple years left in my PhD program so maybe in a year I'll switch my feelings, haha! (btw - congrats on nearly being done Joe, it's quite the long haul).

In the end, forget what other people think, do what you like! Can't go wrong with the new kit!

How can it be a "not really" on the way I view it? :dont know:

In any case, an avatar could be chosen that doesn't reflect a certain Everton player just as you can with a jersey.

Regardless, the username is what sets a person's identity, in my opinion.

It 's a not really in the way that having a players name on the back of your Everton shirt isn't remotely connected to an avatar you choose on a message board.

In my opinion anyway. If everyone chose the same one the board would be harder to read. Steveo and stevee would be awful confusing with the same avatar, for example.

Edited by Paddock

It 's a not really in the way that having a players name on the back of your Everton shirt isn't remotely connected to an avatar you choose on a message board.

In my opinion anyway. If everyone chose the same one the board would be harder to read. Steveo and stevee would be awful confusing with the same avatar, for example.

It's perfectly connected when you considered the common link is Everton and its players at the root.

My point is, you're still representing yourself with an Everton player, be it on a forum board or a jersey.

Thats because my avatar kicks ass!!!

Im 22 and i dont bother getting names on the back of my shirts but it isnt an age reason. When i was a kid my dad once got me the old Danka kit with Kanchelskis on the back and he ended up leaving the following season. But it didnt stop there, the next kit i got with a name on the back was of course my childhood hero at the time. Wayne Rooney. The same thing happened with him. A few years later I went safe and got Rodwell on the back thinking he was never going to get farmed out and well what do you know it happened ha! Knowing my luck if i got Barkley on my new one he would be at City or Chelsea before i know it! so na im not going to bother!!!