IGNORED

Where is everybody from?

chalkpie

Aaron and Keith, maybe we could start a supporters club if I get to DC haha

There's one here already, but I'm not too much involved in it. Decent amount of Blues in the city. Actually saw a young lady walking around in a Tom Cleverly shirt the other day. I thought it odd that she picked Tom Cleverly of all the players, but was glad to see another Evertonian out and about. But if you come to DC, let me know!

Edited by Keithb18

Chalkpie -

I've got family in Jacksonville Florida, so that would be an option as it's nice to be by people you know if moving so far from my close family.

Growing up I was lucky enough to go to Florida every other year. My family were in Key West when I was young, such a beautiful place.

Since my teens I've seen New York and DC. In 2013 I went to Orlando (not somewhere to live), Atlanta and Birmingham Alabama.

In 2014 I went to Vegas and Beverley Hills. I would love to live in Beverley Hills but my work would not let me afford it, no matter how far I could progress. I'm going back to LA in October, West Hollywood this time then back to Vegas.

I want to take my wife to DC, I think that is somewhere we would consider. I loved it there when I went about 15 years ago, but we would be looking at it a bit differently from a teenager looking up at the White House.

My parents tell me Chicago and Boston are nice, so maybe we would look there too.

Never know what the future holds though, I might just stay in Chorley.

That's great man. We are really in the opposite boat - I would love to move to England in a heartbeat.

The Boston area is VERY cool, the Cape Ann area has that old Amerciana maritime feel that is just spectacular. There is a gem of a village called Rockport up there - check out some pics and photos. We stayed there a few years back and its really wonderful. I'm not bragging by any means but where i live is a nice location as well (The mid Hudson Valley). We are 90 miles north of Manhattan (around 90 minute train ride to Grand Central Station), 3.5 hour car ride to Boston, The Catskill Mountains in our backyard, 2.5 hours to Wilmington VT (Vermont is my favorite state), 2 hours to Lake George (and the base of the Adirondack Park), skiing, hiking galore, and some beautiful quaint villages in the Hudson Valley like Rhinebeck and Millbrook, I know those distances seem huge to you bloody wankers, but to us its a stones throw :)

Having said that, there are SO many things I love about the UK. To name a few:

The quaint villages

Overcast skies (I love that)

Cooler climate

Stone walls (unbelievable)

FOOTBALL (Yes, REAL football, not the bullshit game found here)

Sheep!.......baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...........baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Roundabouts - love these!

Pubs and pub culture

The unbelievable lush, natural beauty

The homes

The architecture (The US cannot even come close to competing here)

History

Castles

Real Ale

smaller cars

Basically countryside everywhere you go, even 5 minutes outside of cities

Weird, funny expressions

Cardiacs - the GREATEST band to ever walk the face of the Earth. Don't even try to argue otherwise. Long live TIM SMITH.

Well that's a start. I fell in love with the place when I "studied" (haha, what a joke that term was) in Brum in 1993. We lived in a dorm in city center, and I just enamored with the place. We just did a family holiday last August for two weeks and didn't want to come back home. We made it Goodison for a quick visit - no match unfortunately, but we pillaged Everton One - my Visa card was on FIRE. It was my second time in Liverpool.

Edited by chalkpie

Jaime

Born in Brighton. Family moved to Gatwick (Horley specifically) aged 2. Grew up in Horley, Surrey. Used to "break" into Gatwick pre 9.11 and skate on the polished flooring early doors (fire exits were always open due to smokers). At 15, old man got a job at Manchester Airport, so we moved to Cheshire for commuting purposes. Still live in Cheshire.

Dad was born and raised in Kirkby (Liverpool), used to watch the blues in the 70's from atop of St.Luke's (Church in the corner at Goodison for those not familiar). At 18 left Livepool in search for work and the aviation business was booming down south. Met madre, and settled in Brighton. Even though I was born a southerner, i'm glad to have moved northerly and appreciate the area that we live now.

I hope to retire in Canada, Western Province (BC ideally).

The rest you don't need to know.

Jaime

Born in Brighton. Family moved to Gatwick (Horley specifically) aged 2. Grew up in Horley, Surrey. Used to "break" into Gatwick pre 9.11 and skate on the polished flooring early doors (fire exits were always open due to smokers). At 15, old man got a job at Manchester Airport, so we moved to Cheshire for commuting purposes. Still live in Cheshire.

Dad was born and raised in Kirkby (Liverpool), used to watch the blues in the 70's from atop of St.Luke's (Church in the corner at Goodison for those not familiar). At 18 left Livepool in search for work and the aviation business was booming down south. Met madre, and settled in Brighton. Even though I was born a southerner, i'm glad to have moved northerly and appreciate the area that we live now.

good man, i love canada (i like both east and west). Which part of west? Vancouver i'm guessing. Although you are an outdoorsman so maybe Calgary so you can hit up Banff. I like both cities. Canadians are great people, i tried to immigrate there but my wife hates the cold weather and wouldn't do it (now we live in the south boo :( ).

Some folks think the Welsh are rude because of their language, some people thing the Irish are thick for the same reason. I find both of these ideas totally wrong. Incidentally, why did we get no chance to learn our native languages in school. I learned French and Spanish none of our native languages.

There's no doubt that the English get irritated when locals won't speak in English. It's not easy for them when irritating minorities refuse to recognize centuries-long privilege, the poor souls. This is a serious point, though, as we see reactions against the rights of various minorities in society.

Accent is another biggie. When I first worked for a prestigious software company in central London (I won't embarrass them by saying which one), I worked mostly with Oxford and Cambridge graduates who spoke "BBC English." While they were gracious, there was no doubt that they found my Cornish accent more than a little amusing: How could someone with straw coming out of his ears be working at the forefront of technology? On one amusing occasion, as project manager, I requested that a rogue team member use the same editing software as everyone else. He point-blank refused, his excuse being that "my uncle is Lord so-and-so, and I do things my way." :)

It's not so bad these days, and it's great to hear a variety of different accents as I meet Brits on business overseas.

Edited by Cornish Steve

good man, i love canada (i like both east and west). Which part of west? Vancouver i'm guessing. Although you are an outdoorsman so maybe Calgary so you can hit up Banff. I like both cities. Canadians are great people, i tried to immigrate there but my wife hates the cold weather and wouldn't do it (now we live in the south boo :( ).

Yeah I went for a Rugby Tour in 2005 and fell in love with the place (BC). We predominately stayed in Vancouver but went to surrounding areas including Grouse Mountain, which was beautiful. Galgary is somewhere i'd like to try and yeah, Banff being a haven for outdoors, wouldn't mind being close to something that offered so much during both seasons.

No one messes with Canada, they don't upset anyone and just get on with life. Loved everyone we met. People, places, attitude, houses, everything was awesome! *Everything is cool when you're part of a team.

Jamie, I worked in Windsor for several years with a Scouse guy who now lives in Summerland BC. I keep in contact with him by email and we had dinner together in Windsor when he was over last year. Unfortunately, he's a red. He says Canada is the best place in the world to live. Incidentally, he was once drummer for the Quarrymen, way before the Beatles.

That's great man. We are really in the opposite boat - I would love to move to England in a heartbeat.

The Boston area is VERY cool, the Cape Ann area has that old Amerciana maritime feel that is just spectacular. There is a gem of a village called Rockport up there - check out some pics and photos. We stayed there a few years back and its really wonderful. I'm not bragging by any means but where i live is a nice location as well (The mid Hudson Valley). We are 90 miles north of Manhattan (around 90 minute train ride to Grand Central Station), 3.5 hour car ride to Boston, The Catskill Mountains in our backyard, 2.5 hours to Wilmington VT (Vermont is my favorite state), 2 hours to Lake George (and the base of the Adirondack Park), skiing, hiking galore, and some beautiful quaint villages in the Hudson Valley like Rhinebeck and Millbrook, I know those distances seem huge to you bloody wankers, but to us its a stones throw :)

Having said that, there are SO many things I love about the UK. To name a few:

The quaint villages

Overcast skies (I love that)

Cooler climate

Stone walls (unbelievable)

FOOTBALL (Yes, REAL football, not the bullshit game found here)

Sheep!.......baaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh...........baaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Roundabouts - love these!

Pubs and pub culture

The unbelievable lush, natural beauty

The homes

The architecture (The US cannot even come close to competing here)

History

Castles

Real Ale

smaller cars

Basically countryside everywhere you go, even 5 minutes outside of cities

Weird, funny expressions

Cardiacs - the GREATEST band to ever walk the face of the Earth. Don't even try to argue otherwise. Long live TIM SMITH.

Well that's a start. I fell in love with the place when I "studied" (haha, what a joke that term was) in Brum in 1993. We lived in a dorm in city center, and I just enamored with the place. We just did a family holiday last August for two weeks and didn't want to come back home. We made it Goodison for a quick visit - no match unfortunately, but we pillaged Everton One - my Visa card was on FIRE. It was my second time in Liverpool.

I can quote a few others for you...

Rain,

rain,

rain,

rain,

rain,

rain,

cloudy spells.

rain,

gales,

rain,

rain,

rain

Wow, I live on Capitol Hill in DC now. Five or so blocks from the US Capitol Building. If you are ever at home for a match day, would love to share a pint.

My name is Keith.

I grew up in southern Texas, less than two hours by car from the Mexican border. It's a very small town of 2,500 people. I haven't been back but one time since the year 2000. Spent some time in Colorado and Los Angeles, CA along the way. Consider Washington my home now as I've been here 9 years.

Wow, this slipped through the cracks somehow. I'm also about 5 blocks from the capitol...I'm home pretty frequently, although that will probably change once I enter the working world. I will definitely take you up on your offer though if I'm around for a match day. And yes, as you pointed out there's a surprising amount of Everton fans in DC, although I haven't been involved in the supporters club or anything. Went to the DC United vs Everton friendly a couple years back and was surprised at the amount of Everton fans there.

Well, I'm moving back to MS, except I'll be near the coast instead in the northern part of the state.

Long story short, I got the job I interviewed for, so in feeling pretty good right now.

Great news, well done mate!

(Moving house is a bitch though so good luck with that)

Great news, well done mate!

(Moving house is a bitch though so good luck with that)

I'm actually dreading that part. I just moved to Seattle two years ago, about 2700 miles away, and now I'm moving about the same distance back. It's a rough move for sure.

Edit: roughly 4300 km for you guys on the metric system.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Wow, this slipped through the cracks somehow. I'm also about 5 blocks from the capitol...I'm home pretty frequently, although that will probably change once I enter the working world. I will definitely take you up on your offer though if I'm around for a match day. And yes, as you pointed out there's a surprising amount of Everton fans in DC, although I haven't been involved in the supporters club or anything. Went to the DC United vs Everton friendly a couple years back and was surprised at the amount of Everton fans there.

I'm at keith.boyea@gmail.com. Hit me up anytime.

I'm actually dreading that part. I just moved to Seattle two years ago, about 2700 miles away, and now I'm moving about the same distance back. It's a rough move for sure.

Edit: roughly 4300 km for you guys on the metric system.

Crikey, my last move was about seven miles and that was bad enough :lol:.

Incidentally, although most stuff over here is metric we still use miles over km :).

Jaime

Hey Jaime - curious - why do you want to move to BC specifically and why would you want to leave home (UK)?