IGNORED

Steve Walsh (Director of football)

Back ups? The last targets were back ups.... do we just do a newcastle or stoke and get 3rd choice players costing mega bucks?

We have a pretty strong squad bar striker. I trust us to get the right targets in january or next summer.

As in we must have had a list of players that we were after in each position. If the first one isn't working out then you need to start working on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

I'm not expecting us to buy for buying sake but we have money and we have serious depth issues in certain positions. We are an injury to Gana and Lukaku away from having big problems!

As in we must have had a list of players that we were after in each position. If the first one isn't working out then you need to start working on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

I'm not expecting us to buy for buying sake but we have money and we have serious depth issues in certain positions. We are an injury to Gana and Lukaku away from having big problems!

But that is precisely what the club did do. They tried for Witsel and couldn't get him so tried for Carvahlo, couldn't get him either so signed Gueye

They tried and failed to get Mata, then tried for Ghezzal couldn't get him so went for Brahimi before moving on to Sissoko

There are even suggestions that we tried for Yarmalenko after tgat

But that is precisely what the club did do. They tried for Witsel and couldn't get him so tried for Carvahlo, couldn't get him either so signed Gueye

They tried and failed to get Mata, then tried for Ghezzal couldn't get him so went for Brahimi before moving on to Sissoko

There are even suggestions that we tried for Yarmalenko after tgat

Witsel has been a no go for months.

There has been no confirmation of an actual carvalho bid albeit that was also dead in the water months ago.

We signed Gana but then Besic got injured til the new year. That was at least a month ago and you are telling me that the only name on that list was Sissoko who has made it pretty clear that he wanted CL footy?

Same applied to the other players you mentioned. They were either reporter bullshit or no goers for a long time.

Gabbiadini must have also only been the only striker on our list and we knew for a long time that his deal also depending on other transfers so what is the excuse there?

Gabbiadini must have also only been the only striker on our list and we knew for a long time that his deal also depending on other transfers so what is the excuse there?

Don't forget about Lucas. Gabbiadini was more or less our plan b to that deal. It might be that even the Lucas deal was a backup to someone else that we didn't hear much of anything about. To assume that the club just sat on its hands with only a few possible targets in mind is a bit absurd.

Don't forget about Lucas. Gabbiadini was more or less our plan b to that deal. It might be that even the Lucas deal was a backup to someone else that we didn't hear much of anything about. To assume that the club just sat on its hands with only a few possible targets in mind is a bit absurd.

Course, forgot about him but again that was done a week ago or something like that?

Im not assuming that the club sat on their hands at all. Dunc said that we shouldn't blame the negotiators for not getting a deal over the line whereas I am saying that they should take some stick.

Witsel has been a no go for months.

There has been no confirmation of an actual carvalho bid albeit that was also dead in the water months ago.

We signed Gana but then Besic got injured til the new year. That was at least a month ago and you are telling me that the only name on that list was Sissoko who has made it pretty clear that he wanted CL footy?

Same applied to the other players you mentioned. They were either reporter bullshit or no goers for a long time.

Do you honestly think that Gabbiadini, Sossoko and Valencia were our top targets ?

That Mirror article doesn't make good reading to be fair. That's a pretty ling list of no shows. I can't see how you can blame Walsh 6 weeks into the job unless he was specifically handed control of transfer negotiations. If Moshiri isn't impressed, I suggest he exercises his influence to get rid some of the clowns who have been cocking up big-name signings for years.

Edited by nogs

Course, forgot about him but again that was done a week ago or something like that?

Im not assuming that the club sat on their hands at all. Dunc said that we shouldn't blame the negotiators for not getting a deal over the line whereas I am saying that they should take some stick.

Whether or not they should take some stick has to also depend upon the particular cases they dealt with. We don't have knowledge of the innerworkings of the deals they made and didn't make. But, we know where players went or stayed, and some clubs have made comments that can key us into why certain deals didn't happen. Let's take Lucas and Gabbiadini (our striking options) for example. Lucas went to Arsenal because they jumped in at the last minute, and, for all their issues, they're Arsenal and Everton is Everton. Not to disparage our club, but they objectively have more to offer a player right now. The Gabbiadini transfer was seemingly dependent upon Napoli finding a replacement, and the manager also stated publicly that he doesn't want the player to go. If they had found a replacement, maybe we would've seen him come to Everton. But they didn't find a replacement. It isn't our fault that they weren't willing to risk making a buck while leaving a giant hole in their squad that could've gone unfilled. Even if the player wanted to come, it wasn't our call.

Who did you want us to sign from Man City, bearing in mind Koeman wasn't interested in Hart or Bony?

Sorry - I should have been more clear. We didn't want any players from City, but we could have put pressure on City to force another club to sell us a player we want: City don't get who they want until they help us get who we want.

Whether or not they should take some stick has to also depend upon the particular cases they dealt with. We don't have knowledge of the innerworkings of the deals they made and didn't make. But, we know where players went or stayed, and some clubs have made comments that can key us into why certain deals didn't happen. Let's take Lucas and Gabbiadini (our striking options) for example. Lucas went to Arsenal because they jumped in at the last minute, and, for all their issues, they're Arsenal and Everton is Everton. Not to disparage our club, but they objectively have more to offer a player right now. The Gabbiadini transfer was seemingly dependent upon Napoli finding a replacement, and the manager also stated publicly that he doesn't want the player to go. If they had found a replacement, maybe we would've seen him come to Everton. But they didn't find a replacement. It isn't our fault that they weren't willing to risk making a buck while leaving a giant hole in their squad that could've gone unfilled. Even if the player wanted to come, it wasn't our call.

I get that these were complicated deals but if you knew that one of your targets wasn't coming and the other had a large element of doubt, would you have not lined something else up as well?

Oh my word. What a thread this is turning into.

Get a fucking grip. The window was wierd as shit. All of a sudden because we have moshiri and walsh we should have 5 layers of players all lined up in case the previous 4 layers fail.

It doesnt work that way. I would have loved us to sign belting players. It didnt happen. We made steady signings.

Btw Eric. Apart from your intro post ive yet to see a credible post.... prpbably best mixing your shit up.

Because it doesn't look like the money was there until Stones was sold. It was still sell to buy.

Go read that thread I posted the new Financial Fair play rules and we had to sell stones to generate a profit to buy. You can just spend 100m on players anymore have to have balance sheets to back up that kind of spending.

Get a fucking grip. The window was wierd as shit. All of a sudden because we have moshiri and walsh we should have 5 layers of players all lined up in case the previous 4 layers fail.

It doesnt work that way. I would have loved us to sign belting players. It didnt happen. We made steady signings.

Btw Eric. Apart from your intro post ive yet to see a credible post.... prpbably best mixing your shit up.

Yes it does, all clubs will be doing the same thing.

I am just arguing the point that those in charge of our negotiations had a bad window. Is that really in dispute?

Yes it does, all clubs will be doing the same thing.

I am just arguing the point that those in charge of our negotiations had a bad window. Is that really in dispute?

you said if we knew someone wasn't coming then get others lined up..... we did that and again the deals never happened. Its the steve walsh thread and for some reason a man who is 40 odd days into his job is getting grief for our window.

you said if we knew someone wasn't coming then get others lined up..... we did that and again the deals never happened. Its the steve walsh thread and for some reason a man who is 40 odd days into his job is getting grief for our window.

Because he is in charge of that department, just like Kenwright got all the shit that wasn't his fault but because he was in charge.

Because he is in charge of that department, just like Kenwright got all the shit that wasn't his fault but because he was in charge.

Is he in charge of negotiations? The belief is that kenwright and elstone still do that.

Kenwright got shit because he made statements that he didnt back up. Kenwright got shit becausw of ntl, kings dock, kirby, phillip green.

We will soon know who is in charge of negotiations because by all accounts changes will be made. Till then i think slating a guy who is 40 days into his role is a wee bit premature. His targetted players have just been signed by leicester...

I'm sorry but we paid a hefty amount of money for Walsh. The last week of the window was a farce

Its not FM 2016.... walshes recent work will all be the property of leicester city fc.

How many fresh players could he have scouted in 40 days when there wasnt any games being played?

Scouting isnt done on a pad and pen.... its intellectual property owned by the company the scout works for. Every game for every targetted player has a report... the reports have a recommendation.

Question:- do you think leiecester allowed everton to target players scouted by walsh whilst being paid wages by them?

Is he in charge of negotiations? The belief is that kenwright and elstone still do that.

Kenwright got shit because he made statements that he didnt back up. Kenwright got shit becausw of ntl, kings dock, kirby, phillip green.

We will soon know who is in charge of negotiations because by all accounts changes will be made. Till then i think slating a guy who is 40 days into his role is a wee bit premature. His targetted players have just been signed by leicester...

If he's been given the title of director of football, charged with recruitment then again, whilst he may not be responsible directly, he is accountable. All depends on the details of his role I guess.

edit: For the record, I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed with him, but with the other scouts and negotiators that we've had for years who are the actual responsible people. Just easier to blame the figure head I guess.

Edited by Matt

If he's been given the title of director of football, charged with recruitment then again, whilst he may not be responsible directly, he is accountable. All depends on the details of his role I guess.

edit: For the record, I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed with him, but with the other scouts and negotiators that we've had for years who are the actual responsible people. Just easier to blame the figure head I guess.

If he has never done negotiations before - which I do not believe he has then I do not think he will have been thrown in at the deep end. The Chief Exec/Chairman have the purse strings and will ultimately make the call on the financials - now this is where negotiations do take place.

He can identify 100 players, with information regarding how much they are on, how much they are worth, how much he feels they will be worth etc - the manager will review this and make his wish list - for there its the boys in charge of profit and loss who do the rest. Walsh will be responsible for ensuring we have a steady pipeline of talent - that we have the org structure in place to be able to gather accurate data on players across the globe.

I would be very surprised if it isn't elstone and kenwright who are doing the brokering - they have been doing this for some time and I feel that they believe they are the best men for that job.

again.... I will repeat this. Unless Leicester have allowed Everton to target players that have been watched and recommended by Walsh whilst being paid by them then how is he meant to have acquired a target list for us to go after in such a short space of time?

Bolassie is a player that Koeman wanted, I believe Gueye is a player that Walsh recommended to Leicester as a replacement for Kante but they went for Mendy leaving us free to go for Gueye. Williams didn't need scouting, he's a top class player who Koeman knew all about.

Edited by Hafnia

If I start slating Lukaku will my posts be 'credible'?