IGNORED

Fear and Loathing (USMNT 2018)

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

pulisic sold to chelsea, 57m pounds.  sarri is a great manager for him, attacking all out, hope he gets playing time.  maybe this means they will sell Hazard to Madrid now.

Unless Sarri ends up sacked between now and the summer, which is always a possibility with Chelsea, then he won’t play under him at all and could end up stagnating.

Got a feeling Hazard will renew his contract with Chelsea. I hope he does too, he’s a lovely player to watch. 

18 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Unless Sarri ends up sacked between now and the summer, which is always a possibility with Chelsea, then he won’t play under him at all and could end up stagnating.

Got a feeling Hazard will renew his contract with Chelsea. I hope he does too, he’s a lovely player to watch. 

I'm actually worried about this move for Pulisic. Chelsea isn'tt exactly known for giving youngsters a chance. This move just feels... commercial.

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

yeah i thought the same thing, they are a machine over there, i would have preferred him at Spurs or Arsenal, he'd be more likely to get playing time there.  i think Hazard is gone because he doesn't like how Sarri uses him as a false nine, sure he went back to the wing last match but i think philosophically they just aren't compatible.

22 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

isn'tt he staying in Germany until the end of the season anyway?

Agree on Hazard

1 hour ago, aaron said:

I feel Pulisic will be a Pedro replacement if anything, Willian will likely drop to the bench which accommodates Pulisic to start with Hazard on the other wing, they will go all out for a striker in the summer I think.

I guess if there is a position at Chelsea up for grabs, it would most likely be that right wing spot.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New manager, new system, new players coming in and out, lots of tinkering - which I don't really have a problem with. However, one result is that our MF has been hot garbage under Berhalter so far. The forwards aren't getting service because we're floundering around in the middle of the pitch, and the backline is getting put under pressure from sloppy giveaways. It will be interesting to see the starting 11 tomorrow night, and their positions for Berhalter's first competitive game in charge - even if we're playing a minnow, which is fortuitous.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2019 at 10:49, Ghoat said:

New manager, new system, new players coming in and out, lots of tinkering - which I don't really have a problem with. However, one result is that our MF has been hot garbage under Berhalter so far. The forwards aren't getting service because we're floundering around in the middle of the pitch, and the backline is getting put under pressure from sloppy giveaways. It will be interesting to see the starting 11 tomorrow night, and their positions for Berhalter's first competitive game in charge - even if we're playing a minnow, which is fortuitous.

It may be poor form to quote one's self, but after last night, it seemed simpler that cutting and pasting the exact same thoughts. A win, but utterly uninspiring.

4 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

It may be poor form to quote one's self, but after last night, it seemed simpler that cutting and pasting the exact same thoughts. A win, but utterly uninspiring.

Agreed. Curacao has been decent this tournament but in no way should we be struggling against them like last night. I can see Jamaica beating us and them facing Mexico in the final.

Here is a rant for you.  Every time I tune in and see Michael Bradley in the starting lineup I am tempted to just turn the TV off.

I mean what is the thinking there?  He would be like... what? 34? For the Qatar World Cup? No one will care about a Gold Cup if we do not qualify for the World Cup... again.  I mean he hasn't retired so he must be thinking he will be a part of the squad in 2022.  If he can't run a midfield that can beat Trinidad and Tobago (yes I know they beat them in the Gold Cup this year....) when something real is on the line what in the world makes you think he can do it four years later at 34? I swear, a 15 year old kid with experience playing Football Manager might have more vision in regards to the future than the USMNT setup / Berhalter.

Also and unrelated, someone ate my lunch out of the office refrigerator.

End rant.

Edited by plaidharper
typo

I'm of two minds on Bradley. One is like you, what's the point? I have buddy who just goes off when either he or Jozy play - kinda comical. But on the other hand, he was of the only, and THE only mid, who seemed composed on and off the ball and in control the majority of the game to me. Aside from a few passages, we were shambolic in the middle. Maybe when Adams is healthy it's different. I like Trapp as a compliment sub, but can't seem to take the next step and run the middle. I think I'd be okay if Bradley is around in 2022 if he provides experience and leadership, but I sure hope we're not counting on a 34 year old number 6 in Qatar......

Sorry about the lunch. Post a note that you just tested positive for mono, so whoever took your lunch is going to wanna wash the tupperware really good.

I have the same thoughts on Bradley: mixed.

He used to be a key cog, but I find myself more disappointed in him with each appearance. I can't see him sticking around for 2022 nor do I see the point of him being there besides maybe a veteran presence (same with Jozy). I think the midfield two should be Adams and McKennie with someone in front of them (not sure who at the moment). I would suggest Pulisic but he really makes the wing his on out there.

2 hours ago, plaidharper said:

Here is a rant for you.  Every time I tune in and see Michael Bradley in the starting lineup I am tempted to just turn the TV off.

I mean what is the thinking there?  He would be like... what? 34? For the Qatar World Cup? No one will care about a Gold Cup if we do not qualify for the World Cup... again.  I mean he hasn't retired so he must be thinking he will be a part of the squad in 2022.  If he can't run a midfield that can beat Trinidad and Tobago (yes I know they beat them in the Gold Cup this year....) when something real is on the line what in the world makes you think he can do it four years later at 34? I swear, a 15 year old kid with experience playing Football Manager might have more vision in regards to the future than the USMNT setup / Berhalter.

Also and unrelated, someone ate my lunch out of the office refrigerator.

End rant.

See England when they took Steven Gerrard to Brazil, you'll be out in the group stages playing old fogies in the heat.

Jozy and Bradley should have been forced to retire like hummels and mueller for Germany.  Tell them they won’t get picked anymore and let them announce it.

i liked the berhalter pick because he plays attractive football and did well with small market teams.  It’s going to take time to play his way, like it did with Klinnsman.  We finally were playing well under JK and then they fire him and go back to punt and run arena and defend for your lives old school USMNT.   2 steps forward 10 back. Sadly Gregg has to get them back to the JK days and then more!  Sadly I think the fan base is too fickle and could see him fired before that happens.

Donovan made a good point post game, it seems that typically his goals are usually spectacular, great one-on-one skills... These were neither. These were more poacher goals, being in the box, reacting first, following the play... pretty encouraging. And boy does McKinnie have the potential for a bright future.

I'm cautiously optimistic

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2019 at 15:31, markjazzbassist said:

mexico didn't dominate on their way to the finals, they got through pens and extra time, squeeking through.  I think the US might actually have a chance.  Mexico are missing Lozano and Vela who are very good players, let's hope Berhalter has the big game mentality.

At least I got to take part in the Gold Cup celebrations, I happened to watch the game at a bar in Cancun 🤣