• Leighton Baines
    • Tim Howard
    • Darron Gibson
    • Leon Osman
    • Steven Pienaar
    • Sylvain Distin
    • Gareth Barry
    • Ross Barkley

Posting this for Matt because whenever he tries to do it it crashes his iPad. If your choice isn't included in the list I'll add it.

"Someone made a valid point in another thread about the Everton captaincy. Who's your choice going forward?"

Complete no brainer for me. Jags is the current captain, the best option and should keep it until he's no longer an automatic pick.

I've gone for Gareth Barry, now he's here. He's played loads of games and quite a few for England, too. Smart haircut and I've read somewhere this week he's got an oversized arse which he uses to move opposing players out of the way.

He'll sign permanently at the end of the season on a free and will become a cult hero, in the mould of Phil Neville, until he becomes even slower than he is now in which case people will hate him and wonder why we ever bothered but until then and until he signs on a free on a rumoured £100k p/w, which will increase to £150k p/w for discussion purposes when he becomes shit and as people hate him more, he's the man for the job for me.

This will take the pressure off the man who should be captain, Phil Jagielka, who can be left alone to concentrate on his own game and get his form back as the armband is clearly too much responsibility for him and I would sooner he played well than start fretting about what everyone else is and isn't doing.

Jags for now, hopefully Ross one day.

Too thick. Young of course, but he doesn't seem to be enough of an intelligent, model professional type that needs to be the head of the dressing room and face of our club. No doubt he is a top player in the making, but leadership ability and football talent are two different things.

To the Barry shouts- I wouldn't make a player who has just signed captain. I'm just against that idea, but maybe one day he could become vice-captain, or even captain. Honestly, I think Jags will make a great captain.

To the Barry shouts- I wouldn't make a player who has just signed captain. I'm just against that idea, but maybe one day he could become vice-captain, or even captain. Honestly, I think Jags will make a great captain.

One person voted Barry and I guess they weren't thinking clearly at the time! He's on loan AND there's no guarantee that he'll sign. I think this is the most one sided poll I've seen on toffeetalk.

Too thick. Young of course, but he doesn't seem to be enough of an intelligent, model professional type that needs to be the head of the dressing room and face of our club. No doubt he is a top player in the making, but leadership ability and football talent are two different things.

Disagree. May look not look the smartest of lads but don't recall David Beckham being that intelligent and he was a great leader. Think Ross is pretty switched on in terms of knowing what's right and wrong, haven't really seen him getting into trouble off the pitch as most players his age are known for.

Conspiracy time: what if Moyes knew he was probably going to end up at Man U and gave the captaincy to Jagielka instead of Baines in order to make Leighton less committed to staying?

Anyway, keep it Jagielka because there's no good reason to strip it from him and make potential problems. If we'e pretending it's a fresh slate though then I'd probably give it to Baines.

Maybe Barkley in a few years time but dont burden him with responaibility he doesnt need at this stage of his career!

Im not overly convinced by Jags as a captain. Like Neville I am sure his off the pitch work is exceptional but I dont see Jags (or anyone else tbh) being a leader on the pitch.

I think McCarthy could well end up being our captain. He is a bit quiet at the moment but gove him 12-18 months to mature and settle in and he will tick all the boxes.

• 2 weeks later...