IGNORED

Portsmouth. (home)

Bill

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do u think davey will be here on monday after today? i personally wouldnt blame him if he wasnt...

i was thinking that and what made me think about it was this

"We have brought in four players but not spent any money - let's put that in perspective.

"Some people pay £20million for one player, we have not paid that for four or for any."

i think he is pissed of at kenwright and who can blame him

Edited by Foxon

We DESERVE to loose......!!!

We were hopeless....we were not able to string few passes together.....

Today, Baines and Neville outperformed our midfield.....In fact both of them had more craft and skills then Arteta......

Lescott was having PMS? Only Yobo was defending in the crt,.....Lescott was horrible...

We were not bothered for the second ball....seems more like a training session,.....

We were hopeless and we deserve the score line....

As many of us worry..if this goes on, we are in for a long struggle and humiliation.....and i am afraight DM might leave,,,,,

Get the fukin cheque book and get a quality Midfielder now!!!!

sigh!!

Edited by xsaint

Horrible, horrible, horrible performance. I'm more depressed then ever with the situation. There's some drastic work to be done if we're gonna make anything but a relegation battle out of this season - forget europe, forgot top 5, forget top 10, forget cup runs, forget big name signings. I feel sick, utterly sick.

The bottom line is Moyes has to take the blame for this result. We actually played a little better and Portsmouth basically scored from virtually their only attacks, but why Moyes has turned into Walter Smith is beyond me. Why he persists on playing players out of position is a total mystery. We only have one thing going for us at the moment, we have a fully fit defence and one of the best in the league - BUT instead of sticking to this defence and making sure that first of all we keep a clean sheet, Moyes has messed with it and paid the ultimate price. The fact is Lescott isn't very good at CB, whereas Yobo and Jagielka are fantastic, put them together and concentrate on keeping a clean sheet. We have players in Arteta and Yak who can win us a match out of nothing, if we can keep a clean sheet we always have a chance. Jagielka is a total donkey in midfield anyway. For me, Moyes is bottling it, he doesn't want to drop Baines again, he doesn't want to keep playing Lescott out of his preferred position so he's used the excuse to move Jags out to keep everyone happy. We should either be playing 352 or 442/451 with Jags/Yobo as the CB pairing. Conceding 6 goals in 2 home games when we have 6/7 defenders on the pitch is criminal, everyone can see that Rodwell/Jags in midfield doesn't work, everyone can see Yobo/Lescott is a catastrophe. Get Lescott LB, get Baines LW, get Arteta in the middle. Hopefully by the next game Cahill/Pienaar will be back and that'll transform our team, but the reason we got beat today was down to one thing - Jags in midfield instead of CB.

I gotta agree with you carl, both Jags and Lescott were excellent last year but as you say Jags at CB and Lescott at LB. Play them out of those positions and they're abismal. We saw it last season when they were played out of position, but the thing is Moyes hasn't seemed to have learnt that lesson. If he's playing them out of position just to keep them happy, then i've gotta ask, what kind of leadership is that? (I know that's speculation). Also, I'm not sure about Rodwell in the middle, I just dont think he gives us the presence we need in that area of the park, i know he's still young and whatever, but that's gotta be something we need to fix and soon.

I gotta agree with you carl, both Jags and Lescott were excellent last year but as you say Jags at CB and Lescott at LB. Play them out of those positions and they're abismal. We saw it last season when they were played out of position, but the thing is Moyes hasn't seemed to have learnt that lesson. If he's playing them out of position just to keep them happy, then i've gotta ask, what kind of leadership is that? (I know that's speculation). Also, I'm not sure about Rodwell in the middle, I just dont think he gives us the presence we need in that area of the park, i know he's still young and whatever, but that's gotta be something we need to fix and soon.

Rodwell is only a young kid and will most likely end up CB, at least it's good experience for him and we need someone who can tackle in midfield, but having two defensive players in CM achieves nothing, we can't keep hold of the ball and it's not as if they're doing an amazing defensive job, we're shipping in goals all over the place. Maybe some people will realise just how good Carsley was now, at least he knew the art of a defensive midfielder if nothing else. I just don't see any benefit in playing Jags in midfield, put Arteta in there with Rodwell, Baines left wing, Osman right wing, there's a good balance then and a very strong defence, instead Moyes has weakened every area of our team rather than concentrating on our one area of strength - defence. As I said before, I assume we'll have more players available for the next match, but I am still unbelievably annoyed at the abysmal selection today, it's not as if we didn't already know from the first two matches that Lescott at CB and Jags in midfield are a joke.

Lescott is much better as a CB than a LB. It's his natural position. He just needs to be playing there regularly.

He's a liability, he switches off and doesn't track his man, we can't keep playing him there regularly whilst we ship goals and points. He's had a few games now and been poor, he doesn't deserve to play there, Jags and Yobo do. Bottom line. Reputations count for nothing, performances are what matter and Jags and Yobo put them in last season.

This performance really showed up the folly of not replacing players before you ship them out, we had nobody to protect the back four, how we could have done with Carsley today. Baines once again showed his lack of defensive nous and makes Lescott look like a novice, its time to revert Jags back to centre half and Lescott to full back.

No pace in attack, Johnson might not have been the perfect finisher but he would have put in a better stint than either of our attackers.

None of the new buys were available so once again we have had 3 months to strengthen the squad and now its another 3 points shamelessly given away without a fight.

We will be lucky to finish in the top half this season, and unless a couple of TOP class players ( Moutinho and M'Bia ) are brought in before the window closes we might find ourselves in the botton 6. Golden opportunities have been squandered, it has taken Moyes 6 seasons of hard work to get us where we are, but it will only take one bad season to ruin it all.

This performance really showed up the folly of not replacing players before you ship them out, we had nobody to protect the back four, how we could have done with Carsley today. Baines once again showed his lack of defensive nous and makes Lescott look like a novice, its time to revert Jags back to centre half and Lescott to full back.

No pace in attack, Johnson might not have been the perfect finisher but he would have put in a better stint than either of our attackers.

None of the new buys were available so once again we have had 3 months to strengthen the squad and now its another 3 points shamelessly given away without a fight.

We will be lucky to finish in the top half this season, and unless a couple of TOP class players ( Moutinho and M'Bia ) are brought in before the window closes we might find ourselves in the botton 6. Golden opportunities have been squandered, it has taken Moyes 6 seasons of hard work to get us where we are, but it will only take one bad season to ruin it all.

Just got back from the game and have to admit certain parts were pretty shit but this finish in the bottom six is reactionary bullshit. Problems today I agree we need a centre mid but thought Rodwell did ok even though he wasn't very adventurous. Baines was exposed a lot defensively but there was a ten minute spell before their second goal where he put in some cracking crosses. Also people who have been saying play Lescott at LB I completely agree I don't give a sh*t about where he thinks he is best he is a liability at centre back. Jags needs to be back there but I can understand why Jags wasn't playing in defence because of our lack of options in Midfield. Also thought Arteta was out of the game for long long periods but I did think this was also a result of every attack we had going down the left. Sure there are problems and I doubt we will finish top six somewhere between 8 and 12 I reckon; but it could be worse we could be Derby.

If we had defended like them it would have ended 0-0. If they had defended like us we would have done them 5-3. The result reflects 2 very different defensive displays.

Hind-sight is fantastic but:

Howard

Nev...Jags...Yobo...Lescott

Ossie...Arteta...Rod...Baines

Yak...Vaughan

Would have been a lot more solid and a better balance set-up.

or 5-3-2 worked for them today - why not us...

Howard

Jags...Yobo...Lescott

Nev.................Baines

Art...Rod...Ossie

Yak...Vaughan

A further point - the moment yak wouldn't give the ball to mikel for peno - it was clear he'd miss it. If you're going to snatch the ball at least smash the bastard into the back of the god damn net DICKHEAD!

I think Pompey smell blood and will be looking at us for there first points of the season, we will have to be at our best to match them to be honest. I want to be proved wrong but I can see a Pompey 0-3 scoreline :(

However as mentioned earlier in the thread maybe their morale will be low, we shall wait and see. Would love Yak to bury them though ;)

I fucking hate being right!

Well that was a fucking disgrace. If we don't get some decent signings in the only teams we'll be battling with are the likes of Stoke and Hull :angry:

We NEVER fucking learn, it's like the players get told to do something (hoof) and even though they can see the fucking tactic isn't working it's still all they do. Grow some fucking balls lads and change the game plan. If you stand off the opposition and give them the space to play they WILL punish you and that's what happened today.

Howard - How he was able to be chipped by Defoe in the build up to their third is beyong me. You have a fucking line, get on it

Neville - Played well but too much hoofing and standing off as per usual ruined it for me

Yobo - Mostly solid but again too much hoofing

Lescott - Shit once again, drop him please. Forget playing him LB, the fella needs dropping to drum it into him that his place in our side is not a foregone conclusion

Baines - My MOTM today, the only player who looked like he could create a goal for us

Osman - Pissed me right off. Good in the build up but pissed about with the ball when he should just put it in the box and fucked up numerous attacks for us

Jagielka - Get him back in defence. PLEASE.

Rodwell - Looked tidy tbh but he needs replacing by an experienced DM so he can learn the trade

Arteta - Didn't get into the action enough for me

Vaughan - I thought he worked tirelessly while he was on the field and was one of only a few players who looked arsed tbh

Yakubu - As soon as he stopped Arteta taking the penalty I knew he'd miss, I knew he'd try and be clever with the pen and fuck it up. Gobshite.

Anichebe - Lazy and non-existent. Not up to Premiership standard I'm afraid.

Baxter - Didn't really get a chance to get into the game

The word of the day? COMPOSURE. Our side need to look it up and learn it. I'm embarrassed to be an Evertonian after that 'performance'. Our season is in danger of being over before it's even begun :angry: .

Edited by Romey 1878

David Moyes was unhappy with his side's defending after the 3-0 defeat to Portsmouth. Moyes demanded better from the backline, with the Blues having now conceded eight goals in three games.

He told evertonfc.com: "You don't expect the players we have got to concede goals but they are and they take a big responsibility for what happened today."

The manager did feel that the scoreline didn't reflect the efforts of his side. "Obviously we have lost the game and we didn't do as well as we should have, but we certainly didn't deserve that. Moments in the game were decisive; Portsmouth took their chances well and I didn't think we took ours. One missed chance was Yakubu's effort from the penalty spot that was kept out by David James.

Moyes admitted: "It was a poor penalty, no doubting that - but it was a good save as well. People can miss them and you have got to be brave enough to take them. I thought Yak was going to score when he went up to take it."

He starts right, the defence need to take full responsibility for the goals, Glen Johnson's was a complete joke it was painful to watch, from the build-up's beginning it was inevitable the ball would end up in the back of the net.

But I disagree with him after that, we deserved everything we got from that game, the performance we put out today was worthy of a hammering and it was amazing they didn't put a few more past us, he says that the spot-kick was a good save from James, it's pretty simple to save a shot that's taken so casual it lacks in power and it's at the perfect height for a comfortable save.

IMO Moyes needs to take responsibility and accept that today's game just wasn't good enough for a team hoping to have success in Europe this year.

Highlights? Are there any? Just watching that video just made me realise how bad we were that day. I mean it was literally mistake after mistake.

The first goal should never have happened, Jermain Defoe should never have been allowed to get that shot away, he had three men around him including Phil Neville and Joleon Lescott and not one man made a challenge. I know he was in the box and it's always risky but when he was so close to goal there should have been at least one man getting a foot it, Lescott should have done more to get his body in the way of the shot as he seemed to allow Defoe to make the turn.

Lescott is to blame for the second aswell, he's marking no-one and then when it's too late decides to track after Glen Johnson he makes no effort to put in a challenge and allows the shot to get in on target which from the kinda' distance was only heading one way. The penalty was definatly a penalty and 2-0 down you want your best taker to get us back into the game. Mikel Arteta. But oh no, once again Yakubu makes a ridiculas mistake in demanding to take the kick and go for goal himself, TBH it shoulden't be a problem, an £11 million striker should be able to score from 12-yards? At 2-0 down he should have kept it low and powered home to kick, but for some reason he tries to trick James with his pathetic run up and basically chip the ball straight to James..abosulute garbage, a proffesional should be able to score from 12-yards.

The third goal to me was the goal that we could have done least about, someone should have closed the gap to try and stop Defoe from getting a shot in, but he managed to and someone should definatly have been marking Crouch to make sure he didn't run in and head past Howard. For me Howard wasn't in that bad of a position, it was just unfortunate what happened. Howard could have been on his line yes, but these things happen and I can kinda' accept Howards mistake today, but the rest were totally unforgivable and I hope Phil was carrying some grief with him when he came to the fans at the end of the game. For me he was the only man on the field that did anything and should be dissapointed with the team that he led on the field today.

@MLT - I know, if you haven't seen the game you might want to see what all the fuss is about. Bad game though, Everton and Highlights don't go together for that game.

Edited by dark