IGNORED

Hunt

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shite and shite. Average premier league players at best to be honest. Should be playing for Stoke, Bolton etc we should be aiming MUCH higher than these two.

Unfortunately we don't have the money to aim MUCH higher than these. They are both very good players. Hunt has quality supply from out wide and will always work back and forward. Doyle is quality and this move could see him really develop - at £7m for both this would be a very shrewd bit of business. I personally would prefer 4/5 players of this quality rather than 1 fellaini type signing - don't get me wrong I love when we get the big money signing in each summer but we're not far off and if we can have quality throughout the squad in numbers we'd be doing okay!

Youre surely not telling me that either of those players would go straight into our first team? Why waste 7 million on two players that are squad players at best? If Doyle was half as good as some people are saying somebody would have snapped him up a long time ago. So in effect you are spending a third to a half of our transfer fee on players that arent going to improve our first team. Whats the point of that? Moyes is far more liable to get two players who are better on loan.

Youre surely not telling me that either of those players would go straight into our first team? Why waste 7 million on two players that are squad players at best? If Doyle was half as good as some people are saying somebody would have snapped him up a long time ago. So in effect you are spending a third to a half of our transfer fee on players that arent going to improve our first team. Whats the point of that? Moyes is far more liable to get two players who are better on loan.

Hunt is more of a natural winger than osman so yes he would start ahead of osman and doyle is still relatively young - he would get a lot of game time if he came to us.

With our funds we can sign one moutinho - fantastic, I'd be delighted - but what if he gets injured?

I think this summer is when we need quality squad players - look at the injuries we had this season, we need players like hunt, doyle, naughton, ledley, davis who we aren't necessarily going to get over the moon excited about nor are they certain to walk into the first team but they will be quality players in the right squad under the right manager.

Who got excited when we signed cars? - very few!!!

Jags? - I bet not everyone.

Cahill? - not many because of the circumstances (rooney).

I think hunt will be moysies 1st summer signing - In Moyes We Trust!

Hunt is an average hard working player, thats it. We need to be looking at better players than him. Ledley is a far better player and i would think Moyes will go for him instead

What are you basing this on? Do you follow them both much? Statistics would probably point towards hunt as the better player (at a guess) - I've not watched enough of either last season but I'd bet that hunt was involved with more goals (assist/score) than ledley. I would actually prefer ledley due to age and height but I would question him being far better than a very under-rated hunt.

Ive seen these two a couple of times playing for Ireland Live and whilst they are both good players and should be playing in the premierleague, that are Wigan type players in that they always give 110%, these are the players we would have signed maybe 5 years ago and they would have strengthened us, but now i would hope that we are above these players and consentrate of higher quality players like Mbia etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Heard from a well placed source ;) , that Stephen Hunt has a choice between us or Sunderland after Redaing accepted £4M bids from both. Word has it that he favours Everton and is within days of signing for us. Would be happy with that as I think he is a good winger with a good work rate and would fit into our style very well, plus he is a cheaper and better (IMO) version of Joe Ledley. Any thoughts?

Hunt will give commitment and energy, which would not be enough for some but he would make a nuisance of himself for 90 minutes, and every team needs one of those players. I watched the Ireland vs Bulgaria game recently when John Giles and Ronnie Whelan were moaning that he had been selected ahead of Aiden McGeady on the right, and by the end of the game, they thought he had more than justifed himself, and was a big factor in helping the side get an away point.

A lot would depend of course on who else we signed, to look at Hunt in an overall context, but for that price, I think he would be a useful addition. Would recommend him and I have seen quite a bit of him.

Hunt is one of Ireland's 3 best players, along with Doyle and Given.

Would LOVE to see him here. But he works best with an attacking full back because like Pienaar he finds himself tracking back a lot. Would not say no to him playing on the left with Baines if we get someone to work with Pienaar on the right.

But no matter who else we bring in, Hunt is always guaranteed to not only give 100%, but give 100% with an engine like Pienaar's.

Hunt is one of Ireland's 3 best players, along with Doyle and Given.

Lets be honest there is not much competition though and at that, he isnt one of the 3 best players, Keane and Duff are ahead of him along with O'Shea. When all the Irish boys are fit Hunt doesnt get his game. Notwithstanding that, he would make a good addition to our squad and give us great energy down the left hand side and i would like to see him come in for the right price.

Duff is muck IMO. Hasn't got it anymore at an international level. Delivery is poor. He's just a poor man's McGeady now.

O'Shea I'll give you, because I'm a big fan of his at international level.

And don't get me started on Keane, I think he's completely lost it. Doesn't deserve to be Captain.

I Would rather have Rodwell in the first eleven before him, he might have a bit of pace but for 5 million he's simply not going to be worth the fee, he is no where near good enough to be playing in europe in the latter stages, bench player at best id rather not waste the money, surely we need to get our main targets in before this type of player.

i hope we dont get him, not a fan and never will be of him, its all good having someone running around like a headless chicken for 90 mins on the left side, but the fact is, we have pienaar for that, and for 4 mil i dont want him on the bench every week, 4 mils alot for us for someone who could relii onli take pienaars role, therefore he wouldnt play that much. Look elsewhere!

keane always seems to score at int level though

Keane has lost it in the last couple of years. For the so called talismanic captain he only scores from penalties or when the team is playing so well that Kevin Kilbane is getting chances :P

• 3 weeks later...

just thought i'd bring this thread up again, Papers this morning saying reading have lowered the asking price so Portsmouth ffs are going in with a £3m bid.

With Moyes saying he is only going to bring in squad players to give our 1st eleven a rest, i think Hunt at that price is a bargain squad man. We already know from last year that he wants to come to us, so in my eyes it would be a signing that would not drag on, if we went in with a bid he would jump at the chance to come here.

I'd definitely take Hunt at that price; £3-3.5m. However, isn't that about the same price as the "new Ibrahimovic" Rasmus Elm who Moyes apparently only wants to buy if he can't bring anyone else in???

I'd say snap Elm up if it's not too late (which I'd imagine it is with us not having bid for him 2 weeks after showing him around the training ground. How can you go from inviting someone to Finch Farm to then decide not to bid by the way?!?!)

If we could get Hunt as well, maybe even Ledley (although this is based on heresay rather than me having any knowledge of him) then I think that would give the midfield adequate cover.

Onouha (??) from City for RB and CB cover and another CB (Turner is linked but again I've no in-depth knowledge of his ability) if Lescott goes and although I wouldn't be jumping for joy I'd be a lot happier than I am just now.