IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Gibson is deffo captain material along with fellaini, osman, heitinga, baines, jags. Distin.

As mick McCarthy said on goals on Sunday - "team of Men"

Baines and Distin would be suited more for the club captain role, seem like really nice people. They don't give off a Joan of Arc vibe that natural leaders do that inspires those around them.

• 3 months later...
IT WOULDN’T be the first time David Moyes has harnessed surplus talent at Sir Alex Ferguson’s stable and revitalised a career. He knows his acquisitions arrive with the equivalent of a footballing Kite mark, blessed with “good habits, a winning mentality and a great deal of professionalism”, as the Everton manager articulates it.

When, in January, Moyes added Darron Gibson to his list of distinguished Old Trafford old boys including Phil Neville and Tim Howard, he cannot have been certain how the Ulsterman would respond to the new regime.

Though the Everton manager concedes that the midfielder needs “a jab with a whip now and again”, Gibson has emerged as a character whose impact has been hailed by teammates, and the Everton faithful, too.

The former United youth player of the year, a man whose fearsome strikes had once encouraged Ferguson to compare him with Paul Scholes, had invested nearly eight years, a third of his life, at Old Trafford. Asked how much of a wrench it had been departing United, he says: “It would have been if you’d asked me a year before I left, but at the time I was happy to move on. I wasn’t getting anywhere.”

Lack of regular games induced self-doubts. One of Gibson’s finest performances, graced by a goal, was in the 4-1 Champions League defeat of Schalke in May 2011. He didn’t make another appearance that season. “You do think to yourself, ‘What’s going on?’ ” he recalls. “But that’s the way football is. If people like you, you play, if people don’t fancy you, you don’t play.”

At Goodison, he is definitely fancied. From “a bit-part player, when your confidence isn’t the best, I’ve been playing consistently here, which I wasn’t before,” he says. “It’s like playing a computer game. The more you do it, the better you’re going to get. I think the more competitive games you play you get used to the pressure and to the pace and your fitness improves.”

One of his first acts was the goal that beat Manchester City, a result that became the start of a trend. When Gibson plays Everton don’t lose. The only possible exception to that rule was this season’s defeat at West Brom, although the scores were level when Gibson was substituted with a thigh problem; an injury from which he has recovered to reinforce midfield in the draws with Arsenal and Manchester City, form he needs continue if his team is to overcome a powerful Tottenham at Goodison this afternoon.

The demanding Moyes believes there is more to be extracted from his January purchase. “He’s done well for us, he really has, but I look at him and say, ‘I’ve somehow got to get more out of him’. He can offer more. He needs to become more influential, look to control games, be the main man.” The Everton manager adds: “I said at the start he could do with the whip a little bit. Like whipping a horse, he needs a jab with a whip now and again to get him going.”

Moyes would also like to see the 25-year-old back playing for the Republic of Ireland. For the moment, Gibson’s international future is in abeyance. Having been a non-playing substitute at the European Championships, Gibson pulled out of manager Giovanni Trapattoni’s Republic squad for first World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan in early September, citing his disappointment at his non-participation in Poland and Ukraine. He has not played since.

Asked about the likelihood of being in Trapattoni’s squad for the next qualifier, in Sweden on March 16, he says: “I can’t give you any answers. I’m not ready to make a decision.” He adds quietly: “I’m quite stubborn, to be honest — that’s probably my downfall.”

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/football/Premiership/article1172693.ece

• 3 weeks later...

Very Beckhamesque isn't he?

I would say two different player types all together. Gibson is more of a Deco in that case. Look at the way he sprays the ball all over the park. Lovely touch. (but Deco was the far better player when he was at his best) Gibbo really was a steal though. Perhaps Moyes best bit of business?

Beckham is more of a wing player. The only thing that connects the two is that they are both great passers of the ball.

I would say two different player types all together. Gibson is more of a Deco in that case. Look at the way he sprays the ball all over the park. Lovely touch. (but Deco was the far better player when he was at his best) Gibbo really was a steal though. Perhaps Moyes best bit of business?

Beckham is more of a wing player. The only thing that connects the two is that they are both great passers of the ball.

They both played for United.

They are both white.

Their first names both begin with D.

They are both not Scottish.

Don't you know 'anything' about football Peter? doh.gif

I'm worried... Mirallas seems to having a nagging Hamstring injury, Gibson has a thigh injury that doesn't seem to want to go away... I just hope this calf problem doesn't become a constant for Hibbert. MIrallas and Gibson have bright futures here, but they seem to have a problem staying fit, and both of them have recurring injuries...