IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Anyone who reads this maybe knows someone who needs help from a very common illness.... I have always had a pharmacological interest in things and what does annoy me is that alcoholism is an illness where the sufferer is tagged and told that their only cure is to not do what they actually don't want to do. 

Essentially the person feels worthless and trapped because it's all down to willpower and the ability to whiteknuckle through their cravings... 

I read about Kenny Samson... he has actually had great success using something called the "Sinclair method". Apparently this is a successful way of treating alcohol addiction and is successul in 80% of cases.   The person takes a tablet called naltrexone - 1 hour before drinking.  When they drink the brain is used to receiving an endorphin boost but the medication blocks off the endorphin receptors.  Essentially over a period of time this conditions the person to lose the association of alcohol and its' power over them....

Unfortunately for whatever reason this method is not used.  Disgraceful really.  But is it surprising?  No.  The use of cannabis has been restricted despite its benefits in all sort of serious ailments. 

57 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Anyone who reads this maybe knows someone who needs help from a very common illness.... I have always had a pharmacological interest in things and what does annoy me is that alcoholism is an illness where the sufferer is tagged and told that their only cure is to not do what they actually don't want to do. 

Essentially the person feels worthless and trapped because it's all down to willpower and the ability to whiteknuckle through their cravings... 

I read about Kenny Samson... he has actually had great success using something called the "Sinclair method". Apparently this is a successful way of treating alcohol addiction and is successul in 80% of cases.   The person takes a tablet called naltrexone - 1 hour before drinking.  When they drink the brain is used to receiving an endorphin boost but the medication blocks off the endorphin receptors.  Essentially over a period of time this conditions the person to lose the association of alcohol and its' power over them....

Unfortunately for whatever reason this method is not used.  Disgraceful really.  But is it surprising?  No.  The use of cannabis has been restricted despite its benefits in all sort of serious ailments. 

Never heard of that but that is a massive success rate do you no if it is offered on the NHS, I have a friend who is an alcoholic it’s cost everything he’s had in life  from relationships to possessions, he’s been in hospital so many times I’m wondering if that’s been offered to him. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

Never heard of that but that is a massive success rate do you no if it is offered on the NHS, I have a friend who is an alcoholic it’s cost everything he’s had in life  from relationships to possessions, he’s been in hospital so many times I’m wondering if that’s been offered to him. 

It isn'tt supported by the NHS for use with drinking.... they prescribe it for abstinence.  Despite the string evidence that it works the nice guidelines state it's not to be used when drinking?!

As far as I know people can buy it online etc but that's ridiculous.  

Maybe your friend can go the gp and get it under abstinence but follow the method.   

I looked online and it seems there is an online community:- optionssaveslives . Check it out and see what you can get. 

4 minutes ago, hafnia said:

It isn'ttt supported by the NHS for use with drinking.... they prescribe it for abstinence.  Despite the string evidence that it works the nice guidelines state it's not to be used when drinking?!

As far as I know people can buy it online etc but that's ridiculous.  

Maybe your friend can go the gp and get it under abstinence but follow the method.   

I looked online and it seems there is an online community:- optionssaveslives . Check it out and see what you can get. 

Thanks mate I need to do this with him being involved from the beginning, just got to find the right way to bring it up. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Thanks mate I need to do this with him being involved from the beginning, just got to find the right way to bring it up. 

I'm a huge sceptic of the big pharma world ....  the fda wanted to ban vitamin d because vitamin d deficiency creates a whole list of diseases which require treatments.

Niacin.... Check it out for high cholesterol vs statins

Cannabis.... Richard Nixon ordered a document that detailed its potential in treating cancer to be hidden back in the 70's. 

Tryptophan..... natural occurring amino acid. Banned just prior to the launch of Prozac. It can help with mild to moderate depression/anxiety. 

19 hours ago, Loose said:

It's tempting to look more harshly on him because he's earned millions of pounds and spent most of his career drunk or injured. He's clearly got a problem he needs help with. He should lose his license, but I wouldn't call for anyone to lose their job over this. He may have earned enough money to last a lifetime, but he should be treated like any other working man.

The majority of working men and woman would be potted if they had their name etc plastered all over a local paper 

The man has an abundance of money and outlets to get the help he needs the average Joe could only dream of and he is a multiple offender, no sympathy for anyone that does this kind of thing 

He's lucky that at that time of day on a weekend kids weren't knocking about 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Swarzy said:

'Gibson moves to Wigan on short deal'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11459660

How does this guy keep getting chances??

If he's not injured, he's drink driving. Must have one hell of an agent.

Shame. Such a talent, in my opinion - great passing range. 

Clearly injuries have been a constant problem for him - not sure if its bad luck/injury proneness or if he doesn't keep up with his body.

As for his drinking - either he has a problem in getting pissed too often or losing all decision making abilities when he gets pissed. The term "problem with alcohol" springs to mind, though I don't know him personally or the situation in great detail, so don't want to outright accuse him.

yeah he was great with the ball when healthy.  i remember vividly a couple of games back in the moyes days he was at the half way line spraying passes to pienaar left and the right (can't remember who was over there) all game long.  i thought this guy was gonna be something.  he was injured later that game or the next one sadly.