IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Shit, i was Grasping at straws and the straws weren't there. Nice tidy player when fit. I just don't see why he's been given the contract.

Apparently it was his attitude. I read somewhere Keane was quoted as saying (not exact but along the lines of) Darren Gibson clearly fancied a summer holiday rather than a summer with us. He should easily make that squad.

• 2 months later...

We're willing to listen to offers apparently (according to news paper outlets). Hull are one of the interested parties.

I'd sell him. Be an easy decision for me.

Can't let both Gibson and McCarthy go though, so i'd keep the one who stays away from the treatment bench the longest.

wow we are being gifted some great opportunities to get rid of some dead wood. sell both gibson and mccarthy. sign someone to replace the both of them that is fit and not often injured.

We're willing to listen to offers apparently (according to news paper outlets). Hull are one of the interested parties.

I'd sell him. Be an easy decision for me.

Can't let both Gibson and McCarthy go though, so i'd keep the one who stays away from the treatment bench the longest.

We'll barely get anything for him and have been paying him a wage all summer after him signing a new contract. Should've just let him go on a free. Edited by Romey 1878

https://www.facebook.com/ToffeeTVEFC/posts/1381559715206754

Four years ago Everton signed Darron Gibson, seems a long while, doesn’t it? But in that time, he’s amassed just 51 Premier League games.

The Republic of Ireland international joined the Toffees from Manchester United for a fee of just £500,000. However, despite it seemingly looking a decent bit of business, he’s failed to make the impact he, and Evertonians would’ve liked.

He began his career with the Red Devils in 2005 and featured heavily for the club’s reserve side for the season. Gibson was a highly rated youngster at Manchester United at 16, he played the 2005/06 season with the reserve side winning the treble.

His efforts received lots of praise, with him being awarded the Jimmy Murphy Award but his career since then hasn’t kicked on as well as he’d have liked.

Seven years and two loan spells later, a 24-year-old Gibson saw himself pushed out of Old Trafford after a disappointing term. What once was a highly-rated midfielder, became an injury prone liability.

2012 saw Gibson make his permanent move from Manchester United to Everton, he signed following Paul Scholes’ return from retirement after being labelled as surplus to requirements by Sir Alex Ferguson.

After signing in the January window, Gibson appeared just five times before being sidelined through injury. He then went on to complete 90 minutes four times from the final nine games of the season.

Last summer, Gibson’s Everton career seemed over. He was caught drink-driving and was returning from a six-month injury lay-off.

This summer, much to everyone’s surprise, Gibson signed a new two-year contract, despite missing 644 days through injury and playing just 17 Premier League games in the past three seasons.

Does Gibson’s future lie at Everton? Despite signing a new deal this summer, where does Gibson stand amongst the likes of Barry, McCarthy, Gueye, Cleverley and Davies? For me, he’s behind all five.

Vs Everton’s central midfielders

Premier League games used, with an average per game.

Passing

Successful passes per game: 21.43

Pass completion: 85%

Chances Created per game: 0.57

Key Passes per game: 0.43

Against Barry, McCarthy, Gueye and Cleverley, Gibson finished last season with the lowest average successful passes per game of just 21.43, some way from Cleverley who came next in the order. Barry completed 50, the most of them all.

Gibson did, however, fare a little better in terms of pass completion; he completed 85% of his passes, likewise for Gueye, who both came just behind Cleverley’s 87%.

Cleverley once again came out on top, this time in chances created – which may be helped by him often playing from the left last term. He averaged 1.05, some way ahead of Gibson’s 0.57. Gibson fared better than McCarthy who averaged a disappointing 0.48, but did finish a distance behind Gueye and Barry.

Key passes were not something for Gibson to shout about either, his 0.43 was behind Barry, Gueye and Cleverley, but was ahead of McCarthy who averaged just 0.41.

Duels

Total duels won: 38.46%

Aerial duels won: 87.5%

Tackles won: 0

Successful take on’s per game: 0.43

All of the Everton midfielders compared to Gibson out-performed him in tackles won and total duels. He failed to win a single tackle last season and won just 38.46% of duels. Unsurprisingly, Gueye came top of both statistics, with Barry not far behind.

Gueye averaged 1.97 successful take on’s last season, a class above the rest, with Cleverley the second highest on 0.59. Gibson averaged just 0.43.

Though, Gibson came out on top with a very impressive 87.5% win in aerial duels. He led by some way with Barry coming second in the list with 66.67%. McCarthy, came bottom, again, with a success of just 33.33%.

Defending

Interceptions per game: 0.57

Blocks per game: 0.29

Clearances per game: 2.43

A mixed bag this one for Gibson. He fared poorly with just 0.57 interceptions per game but did well with clearances. Gueye impressed the most with interceptions, averaging 4 per game, a distance ahead of Everton’s boys from last season.

Barry blocked the most, 0.73 per game, just ahead of McCarthy who averaged 0.55. It may come as a surprise to see Gueye with only 0.17 and Cleverley with just 0.05 – though the later was often played on the left.

The 34-year-old also cleared the most; his 2.64 was just good enough to beat Gibson’s 2.43 and McCarthy’s 2.07. Gueye averaged just 1.09, with Cleverley on 0.77.

My verdict

Whenever I see Gibson in the match day squad or coming off the bench, I always feel like there’s a player in there. It’s easy to forget he’s only 28-years-old, yeah, I thought he was older, too.

Gibson has shown glimpses of class; the way he shifts the ball and controls possession, but for me, it’s time for him to move on.

It’s been four years since he joined Everton, in that time he’s managed just 51 Premier League games. In that time, Cleverley has managed 98; Barry and McCarthy 129; and Gueye 133.

He’s missed over 60 Premier League games over the past three years through injury, playing just 675 minutes over the course of the three years.

With the likes of Tom Davies and Kieran Dowell, who, admittedly will play higher up, I’d like to see some of the younger player given more time. I feel Davies especially, is capable of doing a good enough job, which, in my opinion, would leave him behind five other central midfielders at Everton.

The post Does Darron Gibson’s future lie with Everton? appeared first on Read Everton.

http://readeverton.com/…/24/darron-gibsons-future-lie-ever…/

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I thought it was a spoof article when I read it, hilarious. Probably killed off his career now. He was talking about how he gets pissed after defeats:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/30/darron-gibson-sunderland-shit-team-mates-championship

"When it was put to Gibson that drinking after a heavy defeat did not necessarily present the most committed picture, he said: Right, I might be off my face in here but I still want to play for Sunderland. The rest of them fucking dont though, the rest of them dont.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Swarzy said:

'Gibson arrested after crash'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11294465

How? Again, just how? 

Everyone makes mistakes, but to do this twice (caught twice, he's probably done it a lot more often) is just damning. 

This sort of repeat misbehavior under the influence makes me fear for the lad - think he may have alcohol-related issues given his track record of getting completely pissed and then making very poor decisions.

It's tempting to look more harshly on him because he's earned millions of pounds and spent most of his career drunk or injured. He's clearly got a problem he needs help with. He should lose his license, but I wouldn't call for anyone to lose their job over this. He may have earned enough money to last a lifetime, but he should be treated like any other working man.

He has clearly got an illness which I would say he knows about, so by going out in his car and knowing he's got a problem I would class that as premeditated, he knows that he will probably drink drive before he leaves the house, unless he left the house under the influence then get a taxi.

Should he get a custodial sentence no thousands of people get caught drink driving twice and don't get a sentence why should he be any different, he needs along ban and he needs to enter himself into to program for alcoholism.

I don't feel sorry for him he got himself into this problem only he can get himself out of it, he will be facing the biggest challenge of his life I wish him well and hope he conquers his disease, before he kills someone or himself.