IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Sheedy CM ? [emoji102][emoji15][emoji102]

Intention was a more general reference to midfield than CM with that second statement mentioning Sheedy, and yes Bracewell is an unintentional omission but don't have the benefit of good first hand recollection of the early and mid 80s.

Like in the first season under Martinez? When Barry and McCarthy played brilliantly all season? Supporting the full backs while they attacked? Maybe their drop in form was the change from full backs attacking to wingers attacking.

I can understand teams nullifying the attack of Baines & Coleman (which happened). What I can't understand is the persistence of playing two deep sitting limited footballers in the middle of the park when it's blatantly obvious your wingers and fullbacks aren't getting a sniff.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this but I'm convinced we can be a much better side in the middle than we currently are and it with benefit the whole team. Wouldn't it be nice to get a clever player in there Steve. Has vision, the ability to get on the scoresheet. That's all I'm looking for someone who can mix it up.

Edited by MC11

I know I'm very defensive of the two of them, because I think they have been two of our best performers over the last three seasons. Not that much competition really.

I do want to see it mixed up a bit though. I'd rather see more of a flat, or fluid, midfield three. If we could play Barkley, McCarthy and bring in another midfielder of real quality. All three defend, all three attack, but obviously not all at the same time. Unless we could bring in someone like Mata who could be a number ten, then I'd want Barkley deeper (I want him deeper anyway) and someone new next to him.

I always believe a top quality midfielder can make the biggest difference to a team, at both ends of the park. Maybe that was the effect Barry had when he first came, just having a bit of quality and experience in there that we hadn't had in a long time.

Do you know of any midfielder that we could go for? Is Moutinho an option? I dream of Toni Kroos, and he would be perfect, though I know it won't happen.

I can understand teams nullifying the attack of Baines & Coleman (which happened). What I can't understand is the persistence of playing two deep sitting limited footballers in the middle of the park when it's blatantly obvious your wingers and fullbacks aren't getting a sniff.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this but I'm convinced we can be a much better side in the middle than we currently are and it with benefit the whole team. Wouldn't it be nice to get a clever player in there Steve. Has vision, the ability to get on the scoresheet. That's all I'm looking for someone who can mix it up.

I agree that we need a midfielder who can open teams up with a pass, and spot a run, but we also need the McCarthy and Besic types to cover the back 4 and fill in for full backs when they attack. That's what Besic and McCarthy can do, I believe they can do it well under a coach who can develop them.

I don't want us to become a club that simply buys its way to success, that's not the Everton way. If we can bring players on and develop them purchasing players after we have tried other options first. Doing otherwise is a betrayal of the players we already have at the club.

We aren't going to buy success ala City but that's how teams do it it's generally the rule of thumb bar one off exceptions like Leicester

We've got a reported £100m not half a billion don't get me wrong if spent well it will drastically improve us but with others strengthening around or above us player prices will increase etc it won't stretch as far as people seem think

Betrayal? I'm all for bringing through youth but if those players aren't good enough along with the current first teamers then they need moving aside or selling on and we buy to improve its hardly betrayal it's the modern game

I'm not one for two defensive mids either you sacrifice having a creative mid to do so and it's an area we've been crying out for McCarthy and Basic don't have that ability one of those two sat back fine but not both

Edited by EFC-Paul

We aren't going to buy success ala City but that's how teams do it it's generally the rule of thumb bar one off exceptions like Leicester

We've got a reported £100m not half a billion don't get me wrong if spent well it will drastically improve us but with others strengthening around or above us player prices will increase etc it won't stretch as far as people seem think

Betrayal? I'm all for bringing through youth but if those players aren't good enough along with the current first teamers then they need moving aside or selling on and we buy to improve its hardly betrayal it's the modern game

I'm not one for two defensive mids either you sacrifice having a creative mid to do so and it's an area we've been crying out for McCarthy and Basic don't have that ability one of those two sat back fine but not both

Excellent post, my thoughts exactly. I'd of probably put at least 5 swear words in mine though. Pauls much more eloquent than me.

I think you miss-understand, I am not saying lets just use what we have, and I am looking forward to being able to bring in players of real quality where we desperately need them.

What I am saying is that we need to give the new manager time to evaluate the squad to see who he can develop and who is not up to the required standard. To simply dump players without first giving them a fair go is in my opinion a betrayal and a waste of potential talent. I believe that both Besic and McCarthy are of the required standard, and just need to be properly coached, get a fair run in the team, and play in a side that has direction and morale.

I would want to play with one holding player, but we need to have a least two if not three in the squad as it is a long season, we need to cover injuries, suspensions and loss of form.

I don't think he's been involved in enough tackles to make that judgement to be honest Pad. It's one thing I want from Koeman, to get him in tackles. Maybe taking a few more knocks might put a bit more aggression into his game.

He shits out of loads of tackles Steve, we see him do it week in week out. I can't blame him though that break he had, he was apparently lucky to walkmproperly again never mind be a professional footballer. It has to be on his mind when he's going in for a tackle.

He most defo doesn't fancy a hard tackle does our Ross but I can live with that, plenty of players don't. Different class I know butMessi isn't renowned for his tackling prowess so I have no problem with Barkley not having it in his game.

I always think your restricted with 2 defensive midfielders and you don't really need both to play like that. We had one of thee best in Carsley which freed Gravesen or Arteta up to push on.

Makelele did it for Chelsea for years and allowed Lampard freedom to get forward. Most DM players don't start out that way you need excellent positional play to carry it off and that comes with experience.

It also helps if you have 2 really good centre halves behind him aswell 2 who play well together and know each other which is something we don't have. Hopefully Koeman can instill a little bit of his knowledge into one or 2 of our players and teach them where to be and when to be there because Martinez certainly didn't.

But Pad you've got to take into account him being told not to get involved in tackles, take that away from him and then judge him for it. I'm not saying he loves a tackle or anything, but compare him to Mirallas who really shits out of tackles!

But Pad you've got to take into account him being told not to get involved in tackles, take that away from him and then judge him for it. I'm not saying he loves a tackle or anything, but compare him to Mirallas who really shits out of tackles!

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Steve, although not great at tackling either Mirallas has far more agression and puts his foot in a lot more than Barkley imo.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Steve, although not great at tackling either Mirallas has far more agression and puts his foot in a lot more than Barkley imo.

Ye Mirralas is quite an aggressive player, you will always know your in a game with him.

He won't ever let a player jog past him like he's not there.

Don't get me wrong there Pad, Mirallas does play with more aggression and will put his foot in when someone else has the ball. But when someone goes in on a big tackle on him you'll see him pull out everytime.

I agree there Mark, that's my point. More space for him to exploit.

Don't get me wrong there Pad, Mirallas does play with more aggression and will put his foot in when someone else has the ball. But when someone goes in on a big tackle on him you'll see him pull out everytime.

more space is irrelevant if he doesn't learn when to release the ball though

Not sure it's any advantage for him to get the ball a lot deeper, means he has further to go without losing it, he will insist on beating a man and go on trying to beat another and another until he runs into a dead end and loses the ball, when a pass was the better option on several occasions during the run.

I agree with you both. It was Bill who said you can't have it both ways. I'd like him in a deeper more creative role.