IGNORED

Darron Gibson

But this was at two completely different times in the season where we playing in polar opposites. If they were in the same team, playing at the sime time then I would agree with the points the article makes. However, it isnt & therefore very little comparison can be made.

I don't think I get your point. By that logic you can't compare players at all because they will never have played for the same team, at the same position, at the same time, against the same opposition.

In short I would take £11.5m plus him for rodwell, at present. Rodwell has greater potential due to his athleticism but I believe he will not become the player he could have been.

I seen a quote somewhere "a little more kirkdale and a little less birkdale". I would agree with that with jack. Lacks that little bit of nastiness and bottle.

Had jack as a £40m midfielder once, at best I think he will be a £20m midfielder. Will take time and recuperation though. Wish him all the best though. Classy lad.

Edited by Hafnia

Rodwell has shown me very little to suggest he is anything but a standard midfielder that was physical enough to set out early. I don't get the huge valuations that were once touted around. I can only put it down to Everton fans being desperate to have another Rooney figure, and hype being created, that City appear to have bitten on the basis. It struck me as strange that he wasn't a starter here as such, yet started for City. I just hope the fans back off from Barkley and give him the time he needs to develop.

Just about managed to see the highights of the game on BBC1 this night, wasn;'t featured too long, second on of all things, and soon as our game was over I turned the fucking show off, was not going to watch another minute of it. Gibson did well for me from what I saw, was dangerous from set pieces, the kid has a good shot on him, although I was initially skeptical about this player when we first brought him in, I certainly wasn't that enthusiastic about this latest acquisition.

Something irritated me in a recent publication in that, it states, 'Gibson is now and official True Blue Evertonian after joining in with fans victory song after the recent United win, and was seen joining in with 'Grand Old team' anthem'. I don't know, something just didn't add up. Is that what it takes now to become a 'true blue', to join in with a bit of singing?, is that what Labone, Hickson, Ball and Lawton had to do to become club legends, show off their vocal talents? It just made me a bit angry maybe, but the kid seems to be a good purchase so I'll give him a few more weeks to show what he can put together.

Just about managed to see the highights of the game on BBC1 this night, wasn;'t featured too long, second on of all things, and soon as our game was over I turned the fucking show off, was not going to watch another minute of it. Gibson did well for me from what I saw, was dangerous from set pieces, the kid has a good shot on him, although I was initially skeptical about this player when we first brought him in, I certainly wasn't that enthusiastic about this latest acquisition.

Something irritated me in a recent publication in that, it states, 'Gibson is now and official True Blue Evertonian after joining in with fans victory song after the recent United win, and was seen joining in with 'Grand Old team' anthem'. I don't know, something just didn't add up. Is that what it takes now to become a 'true blue', to join in with a bit of singing?, is that what Labone, Hickson, Ball and Lawton had to do to become club legends, show off their vocal talents? It just made me a bit angry maybe, but the kid seems to be a good purchase so I'll give him a few more weeks to show what he can put together.

Maybe he's always been a true blue Evertonian... and just didn't know it until he joined the squad. wink.png

The club does have a significant Irish following as I understand, but then so does LFC. I don't think it was any Gaelic over emotions, I think it was most likely an over reaction from myself and an over exaggeration from a newspaper publication. Will leave this now, but something about it raised an issue for me. Gibson getting a bit of a bashing maybe, and I'm not out to berate the kid, but for the last time, 'true blue Evertonian' on the basis of merely joining in with our first team players for singing club songs, I just felt was a bit suspect. That's all it is really.

I don't think anyone has said he's become a legend because he sang a song.....merely that he's become an Evertonian. Not the same thing at all.

Comparisons with the players you mention are ridiculous (though I'm sure he'll appreciate you giving him a few more weeks to prove himself).

It was in the Sun today, (I don't buy that crap, my wife brought it home), and yes, it doesn't mention 'club legend', but the wording of it just got me a bit irritated for some reason, actually, maybe this is being blown out of all proportion, I read things that I shouldn't, but was something, and I tried to word it best I could, about his joining in with club singing just after a recent transfer got to me a bit. Of course we can't put Gibson in the same category of the other players mentioned, not today, not in the future, not any time. Back in those days, the guys, regardless of club status, did their singing in the team baths, not on the field of play. Just wanted to get something off my chest with this.

sometimes forget he's only 24 too..cos he looks far older than me and i'm 26 next month! think he's gonna be a top player for us for a good few years...

as for the singing..cahill had nothing to do with everton before he came here..neither did duncan ferguson..but we all know they're true blues now

sometimes forget he's only 24 too..cos he looks far older than me and i'm 26 next month! think he's gonna be a top player for us for a good few years...

as for the singing..cahill had nothing to do with everton before he came here..neither did duncan ferguson..but we all know they're true blues now

Totally forgot He's only 24 only 3 years older then Rodwell and plays like a veteran, he's going to become a more vital player for us as time goes on and I'm sure He'll improve...

Bargain of the decade in My book!

I don't think I get your point. By that logic you can't compare players at all because they will never have played for the same team, at the same position, at the same time, against the same opposition.

Its uncomparable because we were playing contrasting football. It would be like comparing a midfielder at Stoke to a midfielder ar Arsenal because that is how different we were playing. If we had a consistent season then compare away but we had anything but!

Its uncomparable because we were playing contrasting football. It would be like comparing a midfielder at Stoke to a midfielder ar Arsenal because that is how different we were playing. If we had a consistent season then compare away but we had anything but!

Might there not be a correlation between the players playing for us and the way we play?

Might there not be a correlation between the players playing for us and the way we play?

Wouldnt completely disagree but that isnt all down to the difference between Gibson & Rodwell. As I mentioned in an early post, there were many other reasons as to why we started to pass the ball better and press the ball higher (Straq, Jela, Pienaar, Heitinga and even Gueye). Gibson was a part of that, but I imagine that Rodwell would have played in a very similar way and got very similar stats.

He looks older than Cpt. Phil. Maybe it's Phil's frosted tips. Maybe it's Darron's bald spot. I just can't put a finger on it...

Wouldnt completely disagree but that isnt all down to the difference between Gibson & Rodwell. As I mentioned in an early post, there were many other reasons as to why we started to pass the ball better and press the ball higher (Straq, Jela, Pienaar, Heitinga and even Gueye). Gibson was a part of that, but I imagine that Rodwell would have played in a very similar way and got very similar stats.

I'm okay with that. It's kind of like putting it like this: Would you rather have a player or would you rather have a slightly older player doing exactly the same thing; nothing more nothing less but you get £12-odd million. I know what my answer would be

I'm okay with that. It's kind of like putting it like this: Would you rather have a player or would you rather have a slightly older player doing exactly the same thing; nothing more nothing less but you get £12-odd million. I know what my answer would be

Mine too. Not doubting the business the club did at all, just questioning the 'statistical analysis' that was made.

I can't vote on Man of the Match so, for the benefit of this, and I did castigate the kid at the weekend, maybe I read too much into things, but I'll say it now, and don't think Gibson is really suitable as a future Everton captain. Just a name I think automatically, that shouldn't be given such an honor. I like club captains to be quiet and sensible, not too boisterous, go about their business quietly, and as Mr Paulo mentioned above, our supporters maybe didn't think too much of this recent acquisition when he first came along. All said, maybe in time, I could think differently, but as of now, Gibson is just not suitable as a team captain for the immediate future at least or even just beyond that.

Not getting too carried away here, but peoples thought on Gibbo as a future captain? Still only young, quite a talker on the pitch and seems a bit of a leader.

I'd hope Johnny H, Fellaini, and Osman are all considered first. Would be more beneficial to the first two getting them some leeway off the refs. Gibson gets on with his job quietly not a natural leader for me. Atm Hibbo should be in for a shout for the arm band.