IGNORED

Aston Villa

AGENTSMITH

thats another 2 points dropped at home, so far thats 6 points dropped at home, in games WE SHOULD have won

TBH I would definately have taken a draw before kick off. We played much better today and even though we did concede a sloppy goal (again) we looked much more like a team which will hopefully lead to brighter times ahead for the club!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely would've taken a point before the game. Am reasonably happy with the performance although we need to stop conceding goals like that, way too easy. We're definitely missing something in the final third, although I feel if we hadda had Pienaar and Saha fit we would've won, no question.

Referee is a dope.

"Fellaini is playing decently though, which I haven't thought recently".

Thats because he played off the striker which is his best position, like I said in a different thread. Maybe Moyes read these forums?!?! lol

I didnt see any of it and only heard the last 20 mins when this was said ....

Commentators said he was substituted because he was totally ineffective. :blink:

to me he's saying that Fellaini was total crap, cant both be right.

I thought Fellaini had a decent game myself.

From the BBC report...

"String-puller-in-chief for Everton was Bilyaletdinov, whose sprightly creativity down Everton's left flank found a natural outlet in the intelligent runs of Marouane Fellaini and prodigious work-rate of Yakubu."

From the BBC report...

"String-puller-in-chief for Everton was Bilyaletdinov, whose sprightly creativity down Everton's left flank found a natural outlet in the intelligent runs of Marouane Fellaini and prodigious work-rate of Yakubu."

I agree with this, except even though yakubu may have had a high work rate, it still wasn't exactly the best game for him. I personally would have started saha up top with him. Our defense hasn't been top notch recently and aston villa has some quick players up top, I can't see us getting the clean sheet against them. I'd rather have tried to push and go for more than just a one goal game.

I can only judge the game by the radio! From what I heard, we seemed to be the better team and were in control for decent periods.Villa are supposed to be one of the big boys this season, and we were playing whilst short on confidence and minus some of our best players....so I'd say, it's heading back in the right direction, couple more players and a win away from getting the season back on track.Yakubu will improve, Billy will settle in......Pienaar, Arteta, Jags, Neville and Anichebe will give Moyes some more options.

wasn't happy with petrov at all getting up from that challenge until then goin back down and rollin around what a prick! also ashley young pisses me off even more everytime i see him!! great game though ref lost control a bit towards the end! there was a shout for a penalty i believe at the gwladys street end but too far to see from the park end so anyone know about that?? one mistake in defence and we are punished again! a few times the ball could have fallen to us in their area and didnt and fell straight to carew for them! would have taken a draw before hand and was happy with how we played today much more positive than before!

I saw the whole first half and most of the second and Fellaini did have a good game. Yes he still gave the ball away a couple of times and make a couple of sloppy passes but he also did a lot of good stuff and it was good to see. He does make some very intelligent runs and people dont give him enough credit for them. Saying that when he plays as a regular midfield player he doesnt have the license to make these runs which and it takes a large part of his game away.

Yakubu did alright IMO. He had a couple of nice touches and a couple of good little runs which earned us a couple of freekicks. However, its obvious he was still rusty but given time he will back to his old self.

I also thought Heitinga had a decent game in the midfield. Nothing special, but he got stuck, made some nice passes and for the most part the combo of him and Rodwell in the centre worked with Billy providing the class weve missed.

The back 4 also had a decent game. I was suprised by the difference in just bringing in Yobo and Baines made. I never realised until today how important Baines is in terms of the distribution of the ball out of the defence. Especially with the introduction of Fellaini up top, he was accurate in picking out his man which led to use keeping hold of the ball and using the ball much higher up the pitch.

Just watched it on DVR. Really wanted to see a win with the boys working so hard and dominating much of the possession. But I'll echo most of us on the board: this is a draw that does not leave me completely unsatisfied. Exciting game against an opponent who has taken some serious away victories thus far.

Bily had some very nice touches including the goal and I thought the red card was just ridiculous. Good to see the Yak starting a league match, although I thought he missed a few passes in the second half that would have lead to real attacking opportunities. Even though they didn't have a lot of results you could point to, I thought Heitinga and Cahill worked hard; the back four was good (Neill continues some decent form), and Howard had a nice save on that touch by Warnock was it?

I must have been watching a different game to most of you lot :huh:. I thought the whole defensive unit was a shambles for most of the game. Every time the ball went near our box they all panicked like little children and it looked like Villa would score every time; I was petrified tbh. Heitinga and Rodwell offered very little protection for the defence - the amount of empty space between our midfield and defence for Villa to exploit was just ridiculous. Our marking was horrendous; there were men free for Villa all the time. My biggest worry about the game was the absolute ease that Villa played the ball around us. That being said, it was a better performance than we've seen for quite some time and if not for 40 seconds worth of dreaming we'd have got the 3 points. I think people think just because it's been better than recently they're seeing performances as better than they really were, it still wasn't what we should expect from the boys yesterday because there's a lot of room for improvement. It was nice to hear the crowd come to life yesterday too; I've missed the Goodison roar.

Howard - Should have held onto the first shot just before their goal.

Neill - At least I got to find out that Cahill isn't prejudiced and he'll leave his best friend exposed all game too. Taking that into account I thought had a decent game and dealt with Young pretty well; I just wish he'd have stuck the boot in a bit more rather than back off.

Yobo - It's just his aimless hoofing that got to me, all he has to do is think a little! He was our best defender though, a damn sight better than Distin. I have to say I'll feel a lot more comfortable once Jags is back because I really do not rate the Yobo/Distin partnership.

Distin - I'm sorry but I simply do not think he's very good; he panics even more than Yobo and he makes me very stressed whenever the ball goes near him.

Baines - Very good going forward but horrible in defence. At one point Bily was left to deal with 3 Villa players on his own because Baines was nowhere to be found.

Cahill - He ran about a bit more than he has done for a while, but he still wasn't very good IMO. If he's asked to play on the right wing then that's where he should bloody stay - he wandered infield far too much leaving Neill to deal with things on his own, and Heitinga was having to move over to the right to try and cover for Cahill.

Heitinga - First-half I thought he was really good and got stuck in which really got the crowd up but he was a lot quieter in the second half.

Rodwell - Tidy but he didn't stand out.

Bily - I thought his sending off was very harsh but it doesn't look like we'll appeal. He showed some really nice touches, brought people into the game, the majority of his set pieces were dangerous, and he took his goal brilliantly on his right foot. I just wish he'd try and beat a man!

Fellaini - Did people really think he had a good game? It's all good and well doing little two yard sideways passes but he didn't add anything effective to our play IMO, and he he was sloppy in posession on numerous ocassions.

Yakubu - I thought his hold-up play was superb and exactly what we needed so as to try and make time for midfield support to arrive. We've missed his strength upfront so much! My MOTM.

Another two points dropped at home. A better performance than the last three and we should have taken all three against a very disappointing Aston Villa side, who I thought would have played a lot better, I dont' remember Agbonlahor having a kick and with his pace I thought he would ahve been the main threat. For us, Fellaini was awful and that comes from one of his admirers, 'Bily' was ineffectual apart from his goal. I thought The Yak had a good game, held the ball up, was powerful in running and brought others into the game, he just needed a bit better service in fron of goal. Overall, encouraging bearing in mind the last three games.

Im really suprised by some of the conflicting views, it really is as if people have been watching different games. We definately have room for improvement but it was much better and to draw with Villa is a good result. We out played them for much of the game which is a remarkable step up from recent performances! IMO Warnock played out of his skin for the most part for Villa yesterday and had it not been for him we may have had a couple more, which I didnt realise until I watched it again on FF. He made a couple of crusial headers when Cahill looked like he was going to power one in.

We certainly bossed the majority of the 1st half, yes they had a couple of chances but the defence looked solid. The only shots they had were outside of the area and the Warnock volley which Cahill should have been helping Neill out with.

IMO Distin looks very settled especially when Yobo is back in the middle with him. While I would say he is certainly no Jagielka, he certainly as quality. He has given the runaround somewhat against Benfica bacuase of who he had around him and I thought he did however have a bad game at Spurs, but yesterday he looked good on the ball and in the tackle. One area you could maybe critise him on is his marking. Id like to see him more but I think with good movement he may have a weaknesses but Il guess we will find out in the coming games!

Im suprised you say Yak had a good game and Felli didnt. IMO they were both very similar. They both held the ball up well enough, drove at players when they could and made some decent passes. They also both lost the ball a bit cheaply at times and also put a few passes astray.

I do feel a bit sorry for Billy. He was unlucky to slip but at the end of the day he did catch him and his foot was high enough. A red card was harsh but iv seen them given for less and iv also seen them no given for more!

Billy is suspended for the derby of the 28th.

Shit.

Thats the harshest thing about it. Yes it may have been a red card, but it wasnt malicious, he slipped into the tackle and a 1 game ban would be suffice. To give him a 3 game ban is a joke, hopefully there is some way to appeal its length?

Thats the harshest thing about it. Yes it may have been a red card, but it wasnt malicious, he slipped into the tackle and a 1 game ban would be suffice. To give him a 3 game ban is a joke, hopefully there is some way to appeal its length?

Moyes has accepted it though so I can't see us appealing unfortunately.

Another two points dropped at home. A better performance than the last three and we should have taken all three against a very disappointing Aston Villa side, who I thought would have played a lot better, I dont' remember Agbonlahor having a kick and with his pace I thought he would ahve been the main threat. For us, Fellaini was awful and that comes from one of his admirers, 'Bily' was ineffectual apart from his goal. I thought The Yak had a good game, held the ball up, was powerful in running and brought others into the game, he just needed a bit better service in fron of goal. Overall, encouraging bearing in mind the last three games.

You know what gets me down when people say that... They were slightly disapointing because we actually played well and broke there attacks down, i was at the game, like i always am, and some comments made by people here are slightly wide of the mark, yeah it was a sloppy goal to give away, but i think over the whole 90 mins we played really well, obviously missed a creative player like pienaar who may have unlocked there defence for the likes of the yak, who i thought, again was brilliant, hardly lost the ball, as romey said held it up superbly. I thought that was heitingas best game in a blue shirt, wouldnt go as far as saying fellaini was awful, its probably been one of his better games, he won 90% of his headers, which he shoudl do obvoiusly, and he was plucking the ball out the air with good close control, and had 1 or 2 efforts of his own. I thought the defence apart from there goal, were really good, i never worried when villa were on the attack because it seemed we had some solidity back in our play. As someone else has stated we were playing a team, quoted as being a threat to the top 6 even 4 this year, and i thought we dealt with them quite well, what with being on a bit of rotten form of late, we seem to be going through the gears, lets hope we up it again this coming thursday, i cant wait for that game, i hope the crowds up for it like they were v Villa

You know what gets me down when people say that... They were slightly disapointing because we actually played well and broke there attacks down, i was at the game, like i always am, and some comments made by people here are slightly wide of the mark, yeah it was a sloppy goal to give away, but i think over the whole 90 mins we played really well, obviously missed a creative player like pienaar who may have unlocked there defence for the likes of the yak, who i thought, again was brilliant, hardly lost the ball, as romey said held it up superbly. I thought that was heitingas best game in a blue shirt, wouldnt go as far as saying fellaini was awful, its probably been one of his better games, he won 90% of his headers, which he shoudl do obvoiusly, and he was plucking the ball out the air with good close control, and had 1 or 2 efforts of his own. I thought the defence apart from there goal, were really good, i never worried when villa were on the attack because it seemed we had some solidity back in our play. As someone else has stated we were playing a team, quoted as being a threat to the top 6 even 4 this year, and i thought we dealt with them quite well, what with being on a bit of rotten form of late, we seem to be going through the gears, lets hope we up it again this coming thursday, i cant wait for that game, i hope the crowds up for it like they were v Villa

Yeh I pretty much agree. Iv watched the game twice and get really see where some people are coming from. However as someone said there is still room for improvement and hopefully over the coming weeks we will see this improvement starting on Thursday against Benfinca!

FAO CraigB. Whether we made Villa look poor or they had an off day of their own, they where still disappointing. I don't see why saying that would get you down.

It only gets me down mate as it takes the shine of our pressure play or our defensive play, pushing up for every ball, making sure we press them well enough so they lose the ball which i thought we did well against villa, i think that made them disapointing, but i suppose each to there own.