IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

• 2 weeks later...

I find this extremely depressing....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12151129

Am I just being a dinosaur?

Is it allright if I (partly) blame Simon Cowell for filling people's heads with vacuous MOTR shite formulaic pop?

And much else beside. He’s a money man, pure and simple, the kind that used to shut the fuck up in the music business, but who now run it (something which is probably true of all the arts). It’s depressing that people want to get up on stage and thank him for his vacuous comments and staged ‘let me tell you, that wasn’t just a fantastic performance here, but in the real world, too’. What real world? There is no real world. It’s all manufactured and artificial, like the show. The primacy of the good singer over the lyricist / songwriter is one of the things that has killed music. Rock used to stand for something (counter-culture). It didn’t matter if you couldn’t sing. Now everyone wants to do karaoke and sing covers. So, yes, I think he should be blamed. He has helped to foster a dangerous conformity which makes it harder for quirky and interesting acts to get through. That said, rock’s heyday was the late sixties to early seventies. Hard to argue with the legacy that period has left on popular music (imo).

And much else beside. He’s a money man, pure and simple, the kind that used to shut the fuck up in the music business, but who now run it (something which is probably true of all the arts). It’s depressing that people want to get up on stage and thank him for his vacuous comments and staged ‘let me tell you, that wasn’t just a fantastic performance here, but in the real world, too’. What real world? There is no real world. It’s all manufactured and artificial, like the show. The primacy of the good singer over the lyricist / songwriter is one of the things that has killed music. Rock used to stand for something (counter-culture). It didn’t matter if you couldn’t sing. Now everyone wants to do karaoke and sing covers. So, yes, I think he should be blamed. He has helped to foster a dangerous conformity which makes it harder for quirky and interesting acts to get through. That said, rock’s heyday was the late sixties to early seventies. Hard to argue with the legacy that period has left on popular music (imo).

Very well put.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...