IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

• 2 weeks later...

I know Dire Straits are one of those bands that have huge success but then it becomes hugely uncool to like them (see Coldplay) but I love this song; f'cking dreadful video though, whoever made it must've been using some serious narcotics!

in the musician world there is a massive amount of respect for that band. during the 80's when everything when to shit they were still about good songwriting and musicianship. mark knopfler is especially well heralded among guitarists.

great song and band, i always have liked them as well.

in the musician world there is a massive amount of respect for that band. during the 80's when everything when to shit they were still about good songwriting and musicianship. mark knopfler is especially well heralded among guitarists.

great song and band, i always have liked them as well.

I agree, Knopfler was/is genius. One of the very few who could have his mind in two places; he could be singing one melody while paying something totally different (not sure if that's a good explanation but hopefully you get my point).

No idea why it became fashionable to dislike them.

Travis were another example of the phenomenon, put out some superb stuff but then critics decided they were crap so everyone went along with it. Love to build up and then smash down us Brits, national trait.

I agree, Knopfler was/is genius. One of the very few who could have his mind in two places; he could be singing one melody while paying something totally different (not sure if that's a good explanation but hopefully you get my point).

No idea why it became fashionable to dislike them.

Travis were another example of the phenomenon, put out some superb stuff but then critics decided they were crap so everyone went along with it. Love to build up and then smash down us Brits, national trait.

another great band! i got into travis in the 90's and they were very solid. saw them live with my wife and it was and still is one of my top 5 concert experiences ever in my life. the amount of crowd interaction, showmanship, and just plain fun they have was so infectious no one wanted the show to end. at one point fran the lead singer skyped him "mum" from glasgow and had her say hello to the crowd. it was hilarious. great band.

I recently started a music group on Faceache. it is an open group that anyone can listen to the links on. Not sure if I should post a link to it without permission so I will just tell you it is DJ Rubes Music Group. If anyone wants to join in just send a request to me there. No rules on music but no posting of stuff you don't want kids to see. I don't want any nasty stuff, but other than that anything goes. Please I beg you.... no rap. but if you must .............

edit/ My real name will show up too of course so be nice lol

Edited by Rubecula

Very upset about Prince. By far and away my all-time favorite musician.

I can't think of another artist who embraced musicianship as much as he has. A true genius.

Like mjb said, the world lost a great talent today.

On the vast majority of his records he played all the instruments. Very few people can do that, and do it at such a high level technically. Paul McCartney is another.

On the vast majority of his records he played all the instruments. Very few people can do that, and do it at such a high level technically. Paul McCartney is another.

Exactly. He was a true visionary who knew what he wanted his music to sound like.

I'm eager to hear the hundreds of songs in his vault that haven't been previously released to the public... so many potential gems.

prince is one of my all time favorites, i'm devasted. saw him in LA and was an amazing performance. his musicianship is bar none, he plays everything and he plays it all very well.

we lost one of the best today

Sheryl crow said he could play any instrument at the very very highest level. As a guitarist he is considered one of the best of all time.

Anyone who seen him live says he was amazing.

Sheryl crow said he could play any instrument at the very very highest level. As a guitarist he is considered one of the best of all time.

Anyone who seen him live says he was amazing.

He apparently played all 25+ instruments on his "For You" album. Incredible.

He apparently played all 25+ instruments on his "For You" album. Incredible.

Fair play but a bit of a stretch for me. A lot of them were fairly similar, two types of guitar, three bass models (not sure what the bass stuff is so sure we have the man to correct me if I'm mistaken), three types of drum, several keyboards, various synths, bongos and congas aren't exactly distant relatives and I don't think you can really include "hand claps" and "finger snaps".

"All vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, Orr bass, bass synth, singing bass, fuzz bass, Fender Rhodes electric piano, acoustic piano, Minimoog, Polymoog, ARP String Ensemble, ARP Pro Soloist, Oberheim 4-voice, clavinet, drums, syndrums, water drums, slapsticks, bongos, congas, finger cymbals, wind chimes, orchestral bells, wood blocks, brush trap, tree bell, hand claps, finger snaps."

Fair play but a bit of a stretch for me. A lot of them were fairly similar, two types of guitar, three bass models (not sure what the bass stuff is so sure we have the man to correct me if I'm mistaken), three types of drum, several keyboards, various synths, bongos and congas aren't exactly distant relatives and I don't think you can really include "hand claps" and "finger snaps".

"All vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, Orr bass, bass synth, singing bass, fuzz bass, Fender Rhodes electric piano, acoustic piano, Minimoog, Polymoog, ARP String Ensemble, ARP Pro Soloist, Oberheim 4-voice, clavinet, drums, syndrums, water drums, slapsticks, bongos, congas, finger cymbals, wind chimes, orchestral bells, wood blocks, brush trap, tree bell, hand claps, finger snaps."

Fair point, but my main takeaway is that he played every instrument proficiently, regardless of what section the instrument belonged too. I'm sure his capacity extended well beyond that as his career progressed -- to put it into perspective, that album was produced in 1978. He was 20.

Btw, that album is excellent.

Fair point, but my main takeaway is that he played every instrument proficiently, regardless of what section the instrument belonged too. I'm sure his capacity extended well beyond that as his career progressed -- to put it into perspective, that album was produced in 1978. He was 20.

But Mike Oldfield did Tubular Bells five years earlier when he was nineteen and played (virtually) everything. I think he had someone on flute and drums.

Bet that's sold shitloads more copies than the Prince album did as well, not that it's a competition or I'm dissing Prince. I just never got him at all; I'm actually amazed he was around as early as the seventies in all honesty, barely touched my musical radar.

agreed on all points, it's one of my favorites of his. also the self-titled "prince" which is right after "for you". and the classic "sign of the times"

Prince like David Bowie weren't "must have every album and listen to every song" musicians for me. They were innovators who were a bit too quirky and in a polite way a bit weird and eccentric.

What I will say is that both absolutely nailed the songs that I did like. In the example of Bowie I love modern love, life on Mars, absolute beginners.

With Prince purple rain is possibly one of thd best songs written and performed in the last 40 years... Anyone ever seen this..https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Edited by Hafnia

Prince like David Bowie weren't "must have every album and listen to every song" musicians for me. They were innovators who were a bit too quirky and in a polite way a bit weird and eccentric.

What I will say is that both absolutely nailed the songs that I did like. In the example of Bowie I love modern love, life on Mars, absolute beginners.

With Prince purple rain is possibly one of thd best songs written and performed in the last 40 years... Anyone ever seen this.

Partially agree, go along with you on the Bowie thing but (as I've said) Prince never got my attention, not even Purple Rain.

I have seen that video before and his skills are impressive no doubt, but I'd still rather watch Tom Petty or Jeff Lynne (putting the fact that Prince is dead aside so that option isn't open). Steve Winwood I've seen many times :). Really looking forward to Lynne + ELO doing the "legend" spot at Glastonbury this year incidentally, won't be there but I'll be watching. Not "innovators" for sure but brilliant stuff.

Maybe Bowie/Prince should be compared to Pollock/Warhol/Emin/Hirst; dividing the audience into those who think they're a bit pretentious and those who think they're geniuses. Just a thought.

But Mike Oldfield did Tubular Bells five years earlier when he was nineteen and played (virtually) everything. I think he had someone on flute and drums.

Bet that's sold shitloads more copies than the Prince album did as well, not that it's a competition or I'm dissing Prince. I just never got him at all; I'm actually amazed he was around as early as the seventies in all honesty, barely touched my musical radar.

To be honest with you Mike I don't understand the point you're making by bringing up Mike Oldfield. His talent doesn't take anything away from Prince's talent.

Just because you don't get it doesn't make it any less meaningful for me.

I don't get the whole "sold shitloads more" comment. That's irrelevant because we're talking about his musicianship, not album sales.