IGNORED

What Are You Listening To?

Moyski

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cardiacs.

The GREATEST band you have never heard of. Yes, they are English. Unbelievably complex, eclectic, energetic, uncompromising, original, enthralling, and damn fun. The one band I would want to listen to if I had only one choice. As a musician, they scratch my itch.

• 2 weeks later...

Massive influence on my favourite band, Oceansize. Mike (the lead singer) is a very close friend of Tim. Never got around to listening to them very much for some reason.

Love 'Frames' man!!

Yes, Vennert is a certified Cardiacs fanatic and for good reason. You should make it your business to check them out man, truly the greatest band I know of, besides Zappa and various prog bands.

Are you hip to the Canterbury scene as well? Bands/artists such as Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Egg, Gong, Matching Mole, etc? Astounding music.

The UK basically fuckin dominates when it comes to 'rock' and this is coming from a Yank.

Love 'Frames' man!!

Yes, Vennert is a certified Cardiacs fanatic and for good reason. You should make it your business to check them out man, truly the greatest band I know of, besides Zappa and various prog bands.

Are you hip to the Canterbury scene as well? Bands/artists such as Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Caravan, Hatfield and the North, Egg, Gong, Matching Mole, etc? Astounding music.

The UK basically fuckin dominates when it comes to 'rock' and this is coming from a Yank.

will do man, never heard of any of the others either!

Just discovered Dr Dog, quite good

I'm not sure whether this counts, but....

Over the holiday period, I've been writing a piece for two unaccompanied choirs. Since my daughter attends a wonderful performing arts school, my hope is that the leaders of that magnet program will agree to perform the work prior to her graduation in the summer. That would be my graduation present to her. I've just completed the third movement out of four, so there's just one to go.

The concept is to compose a piece about the local river, the Chattahoochee. That's the only word the choir sings throughout - although I use the four syllables to mimic effects ('ta' for rain, 'chee' for waves, for example). The first movement pictures the birth of the river in the Blue Ridge mountains; the second depicts a bubbling, laughing river rushing and falling through the foothills; the third brings to mind a humid summer afternoon and a passing storm; the river teaches the Atlantic Ocean in the final movement.

I'm hoping to finish the final movement in the next few days, before work kicks back in.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Over the holiday period, I've been writing a piece for two unaccompanied choirs. Since my daughter attends a wonderful performing arts school, my hope is that the leaders of that magnet program will agree to perform the work prior to her graduation in the summer. That would be my graduation present to her. I've just completed the third movement out of four, so there's just one to go.

The concept is to compose a piece about the local river, the Chattahoochee. That's the only word the choir sings throughout - although I use the four syllables to mimic effects ('ta' for rain, 'chee' for waves, for example). The first movement pictures the birth of the river in the Blue Ridge mountains; the second depicts a bubbling, laughing river rushing and falling through the foothills; the third brings to mind a humid summer afternoon and a passing storm; the river teaches the Atlantic Ocean in the final movement.

I'm hoping to finish the final movement in the next few days, before work kicks back in.

show off! :P

Good luck with that Steve, man of many talents obviously.

Reminds me of something "experimental" I worked on thirty-odd years back that was for voice only and used no real words, it was a really challenging project. Sadly I don't have a copy any more; well I might do in a box in the attic but not one I can get my hands on. Subject matter might well be interesting to you if you can track it down anywhere.

http://www.discogs.com/Giles-Swayne-Cry/release/2249360

Edit; It's on iTunes and the "sample" bits sound like a cat being strangled so I won't be searching the loft :lol:.

Technically is was very difficult though :unsure:.

That's awesome man! I am a trained classical musician (and orchestra teacher) so this intrigues me. Keep us updated.

Good luck with that Steve, man of many talents obviously.

Reminds me of something "experimental" I worked on thirty-odd years back that was for voice only and used no real words, it was a really challenging project. Sadly I don't have a copy any more; well I might do in a box in the attic but not one I can get my hands on. Subject matter might well be interesting to you if you can track it down anywhere.

http://www.discogs.com/Giles-Swayne-Cry/release/2249360

Edit; It's on iTunes and the "sample" bits sound like a cat being strangled so I won't be searching the loft :lol:.

Technically is was very difficult though :unsure:.

I enjoy listening to pieces like that. As a teen, I remember listening several times to Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima", which appears to be a similar genre to 'Cry'.

This season, at the Atlanta Symphony, they're playing quite a few modern works - including some first performances. So far, the ones I've heard have been mightily impressive.

Just saw that Elton John is playing just down the road from me in June, cheapest ticket £45. Wouldn't dream of paying that to watch the self indulgent shit, not to mention the fact that he hasn't written a decent song in thirty-five odd years, but it made me think. I saw him several times really early in his career and had all the albums the day they came out, he peaked at "Yellow Brick Road" in 1973 and it's been downhill ever since though.

But found this from a benefit for Watford he played at Vicarage Road in 1974. I was there with a mate, it cost £1 each. Special guest was Rod Stewart (who had an even shorter period of being decent and is now more appalling than Elton). Nazareth played as well, probably not too many remember them.

David Bowie has died :'(.

I hate the word Genius, because people who are no where near Genius's get called it - but this fella was a genius. He was brave enough to be take risks musically and he was clearly a massive influence on musci that we have heard over the past 40 years.

Personally I love Absolute Beginners and Modern Love - not the usual touted "bowie favs" but thats the beauty of his music, there was something for everyone.

Can't say I've liked much of what he produced since about 1975; and a lot of it was truly dire.

All the same, sad he's gone. Loved his early stuff, he was certainly a one-off.

Has it been said anywhere what sort of cancer he had? I can't find anything.

"I'm just an indivdual who doesn't feel that I need to have somebody qualify my work in any particualr way. I'm working for me"

Great phrase - this is why he shaped music. He didn't just jump on bandwagons like Madonna, he took chances, some amazing tunes, some that were not so good Was generous with his talent (Mott the Hoople - all the young dudes).

Was generous with his talent (Mott the Hoople - all the young dudes).

Was (still am) a huge Mott fan and the album All the Young Dudes is their finest moment and Bowie produced it brilliantly no doubt. I actually think though that the song ATYD is one of the weaker tracks on it.

Was (still am) a huge Mott fan and the album All the Young Dudes is their finest moment and Bowie produced it brilliantly no doubt. I actually think though that the song ATYD is one of the weaker tracks on it.

They were going to split up due to lack of commercial success till that song.

Got to say - no better sound than a saxaphone and Bowie could play that very well indeed, the solo on "Modern Love" is up there with steve normans on True (Spandau) - Baker street, careless whisper (yes I did say that)

disclaimer: i'm not a big rock 'n roll kinda guy, jazz and soul music speaks to me.

loving this new bowie record, his old stuff just sounded like classic rock to me (sorry i know blasphemous, not a beatles fan either....lol) but this is a great blend of some hip-hop drums with jazzy sax and strings inflections. still has some ripping guitar stuff going on, but i love the abundance of sax work on it. lovely. a lot of talk about death i guess he was well aware it was sooner than later for him. great record from a non-bowie fan

Edited by markjazzbassist