IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Guest blueboy122

Does anyone think Lukaku even wants to come back?

I have never heard him make any sort of noises of him coming back even in the slightest.

As people know I don't want him back if its not for£12M or less.

There are better options that are more affordable in my opinion.

Sorry to be coming into this discussion late; I was flying most of the day.

For me, the definition of a team's most valuable player is not the one who contributes most to games but the one whose absence is felt most by the team. I'd therefore agree that McCarthy was Everton's most valuable player last season, by a significant margin. He's the engine that ensures all the other parts function.

Yes, because your first post in this thread was that of a WUM. Completely off topic and aimed at me. As I said not surprised one bit it's not the first time either and don't try and make out you've been trying to help me. All your post in here are patronising.

If you read them in that way, then that's up to you. From first hand experience, I'm telling you why people get so pissed off with you. And clearly that's just not me. If you can't take that, then that's your problem. You can throw whatever mud you want at me, but at least check yourself too.

Simply put:- against the better teams it is vital that McCarthy plays and plays well, I have seen enough to know that without him our midfield lacks mobility, bite, and the tempo to cause stronger teams problems.

Yes he doesn't score, yes he doesn't make defence splitting passes, he doesn't dribble the ball, he doesn't take free kicks, he isn't an aerial threat... all those good things that makes 12 year old lads want to get his name put on their shirt. However if a 12 year old wanted to learn how to "play football" and watch a player and understand how to help his team not concede and how to get the skilfull players on the ball, watch James.

Attributes:- his first touch is very very good, he knows exactly where the ball needs to be taken to - either on the turn, lay off the way he is facing, to release a player on the move. He doesn't take more touches than he needs - you will not find him getting caught in possession.

His engine is incredible, covers kilometer after kilometer, you never see him bent over trying to catch his breath. His tackling is solid, snappy and he knows "when to foul".

All in all, he has the makings of a very dull, unexciting footballer who you can miss for 90 minutes whilst watching Lukaku or Mirallas hoping to see something. In those 90 minutes he is often doing an exceptional job a boring one, but exceptional one.

You've described him pretty much bang on Hafnia. Limited footballer, who relies on stamina, positioning and reading of the game. He can distribute simple sideways passes and build up from the back.

brilliant, I'm just so glad i'm so skilfull and didn't have to rely on such dull traits as I type fromm my desk. I could be James McCarthy...

brilliant, I'm just so glad i'm so skilfull and didn't have to rely on such dull traits as I type fromm my desk. I could be James McCarthy...

We all know you want to be. Why not look at Lukakus positives and negatives the way you look at Mccarthys?

We all know you want to be. Why not look at Lukakus positives and negatives the way you look at Mccarthys?

Seriously some times I think you are a young adult, then other times I think you are a child.

You can't retrofit valid comments I have made about other footballers in this case Lukaku to invalidate my praise of McCarthy.

However, in order to clarify this for you....

McCarthy has "ALL" the tools and consistency to be a top defensive midfielder - he is as close to a complete defensive midfielder at the age of 23 that you are going to see. He doesn't need to be a top goal poacher or awesome in the air - he is an excellent fit for his role, he has all the attributes.

Now Lukaku - it is well established that his touch is poor, it is, there is no getting away from it. Now call me picky if you want, a 6ft 3 forward with a poor touch isn't ideal when he is playing the lone striker role. It just so happens that he may need to bring others into play when he is tightly marked in order to "retain" the ball. Without retaining the ball, the other team gets possession. Great he scores goals when its in and around the box and when he gvets a run on his man... Mo Johnson did that, the game is different now.

I felt a little sorry for Lukaku last night as his performances were scrutinised versus Origi's - they didn't quite get to the crux of the issue, Origi is a more "capable" forward. In 3 games he has scored 2 and got an assist and offered his team mates so much more - becuase technically he is more capable for the "role".

Guest blueboy122

You've described him pretty much bang on Hafnia. Limited footballer, who relies on stamina, positioning and reading of the game. He can distribute simple sideways passes and build up from the back.

You rate Makalele? Him and James have the same qualities as Haf pointed out.

Makalele never used to score screamers, wasn't particularly good at heading etc etc.

You seem to rate him even though he never did anything "fancy"

Would you describe him also as a limited footballer?

It seems you only rate those players who are have been rated by pundits and polls which is pathetic.

James will get his match of the day reel at some point when they wake up and realise how effective he is maybe then and only then you will appreciate how good he is at what he does.

Gotta say I have been glued to this whole topic, that was a fun read.

I don't think I read that anyone thinks McCarthy made Coleman look a good player and it was all him MC I think they were trying to say that although Coleman is an attacking full back ( and a damn good one at that ), McCarthy helped him achieve his success last season by giving him the confidence to go forward the way he did.

The comparison with Makele wasn't in terms of ability, your right Makele was in another class, but that he didn't get the recognition that he deserved early in his career.

The reason McCarthy has been brought into a Lukaku thread is that some of us have the mind-set that Lukaku didn't make us look good last season...Everton made Lukaku look good.

I have questioned in the past that many other strikers would have also scored many of the goals that Lukaku scored last season. Now he did score a couple that only Lukaku could have scored, ill give him that. But he also lost the ball many times in a position that I believe 80% of average strikers wouldn't have.

McCarthy made many players in our team look a step above by giving them license. That's not saying any of them don't deserve credit on their own as they surely do, just that McCarthy complimented them.

Bony for example made Swansea look good at times. Particularly against us. He bullied our defence and we struggled to handle him. He is one of those players that has the ability to pull a team through on his own as long as you give him the ball. I just feel that Lukaku can't do that.

Question: Was it injury that made an average West Brom side bench Lukaku so much?

Halle-fucking-lujia :worship[1]:

Lukaku was on the bench so much because of his stamina.

Tbh mate, I think it's embarrassing you think people on here are more qualified to talk football than ex pro's managers and a like. I really do.

Also polls are there for a reason it gives balance and in most cases (rather than not) it's correct. So you have to go with majority.

I wouldn't mind but Hafnia was slagging a Lukaku off the other day for giving the ball away against West Brom and costing us a goal.

McCarthy cost us 3 goals last season - just off the top of my head. Fulham away, Arsenal away Fa Cup, West Ham away.

Who says I think people on here are more qualified?

Ex-pros?! Who fucking cares?! "Played the game professionally therefore I know more about it than the public"?! If you honestly believe that, I feel sorry and embarrassed for you. Mark fucking Bright - case and point. If you want a list of other idiots being paid as experts, revert to the other thread where I rattled off 7-10 names without thinking. Point is, I make my mind up based on what I see :o If that means I agree with more people on here than suntanned tits on the TV screen then so be it. But I will not quote the TT knowledge base to back up my own arguments - you should not back up your own opinions with other peoples - back it up on what you see and the facts you can find.

Polls (extreme example):

http://www.samefacts.com/2013/08/everything-else/the-most-misleading-feature-of-public-opinion-polls/

Also, quoting the OS (home of the blueroom) does not inspire confidence in me, even if I wanted to take other peoples opinions as my own or defense of my own. I dont take the TT poll (a collective poll over the season, where people voted game by game rather than a one-off question at the end of the season) as proof, it just happens to coincide with my belief in this case. I'd also say thats a more balanced approach, but thats just my opinion - I cannot and will not argue with you if you choose a once a year poll to go on, thats your prerogative.

Next... Not as single person has said we will fall apart without him, you need to stop making shit up to argue against. If you're interpreting that we think he is the most important as "Everton cant exist without him", then what can we do - we did not say that nor anything of the sort. I called him instrumental, a lynch pin - and for the 100th fucking time - do you understand what these mean? I've not said he is the sole (=only) reason, Ive not said Everton will fall apart without him or any the other nonsense you've spouted in a desperate attempt to cover up your initial mistakes.

If you want to stop ignoring proof against your argument because you dont like it, petition the Blueroom to reopen. Again. Here, we will think and counter opinions - some times because people are wrong because theyve not done the research, sometimes to understand where the other person is coming from. Getting uppity and making shit up though, drives me round the bend.

And finally, and this is not meant as any kind of olive branch at all, I agree with you on Coleman - he was our best player last season. But he wasnt our most important player. The most important player allowed him to be the best. That is the difference.

As I have said, I await the day when part time football observers start spouting "That James McCarthy at Everton is a very good player, you need to watch him closely" - holding their bottle of becks, regurgitating what Robbie Savage said 2 years after he actually was doing it.

The whole "Michael Carrick is a top player" thing made me laugh, fans started that after his downturn in performances.

You rate Makalele? Him and James have the same qualities as Haf pointed out.

Makalele never used to score screamers, wasn't particularly good at heading etc etc.

You seem to rate him even though he never did anything "fancy"

Would you describe him also as a limited footballer?

It seems you only rate those players who are have been rated by pundits and polls which is pathetic.

James will get his match of the day reel at some point when they wake up and realise how effective he is maybe then and only then you will appreciate how good he is at what he does.

Yes, I rated Makelele. Mccarthys not anywhere near that level though is he? Thought we agree it was silly to compare yesterday.

I don't rate him as highly as others. There's no point getting into why. It's been done over an over. It's a preference. I'm at the game every week mate I don't need to watch match of the day I make my own judgment. If you think that's wrong fine. But I stand by we have better, more talented players in this squad and we'd still be a good side without him.

Halle-fucking-lujia :worship[1]:

Lukaku was on the bench so much because of his stamina.

Who says I think people on here are more qualified?

Ex-pros?! Who fucking cares?! "Played the game professionally therefore I know more about it than the public"?! If you honestly believe that, I feel sorry and embarrassed for you. Mark fucking Bright - case and point. If you want a list of other idiots being paid as experts, revert to the other thread where I rattled off 7-10 names without thinking. Point is, I make my mind up based on what I see :o If that means I agree with more people on here than suntanned tits on the TV screen then so be it. But I will not quote the TT knowledge base to back up my own arguments - you should not back up your own opinions with other peoples - back it up on what you see and the facts you can find.

Polls (extreme example):

http://www.samefacts.com/2013/08/everything-else/the-most-misleading-feature-of-public-opinion-polls/

Also, quoting the OS (home of the blueroom) does not inspire confidence in me, even if I wanted to take other peoples opinions as my own or defense of my own. I dont take the TT poll (a collective poll over the season, where people voted game by game rather than a one-off question at the end of the season) as proof, it just happens to coincide with my belief in this case. I'd also say thats a more balanced approach, but thats just my opinion - I cannot and will not argue with you if you choose a once a year poll to go on, thats your prerogative.

Next... Not as single person has said we will fall apart without him, you need to stop making shit up to argue against. If you're interpreting that we think he is the most important as "Everton cant exist without him", then what can we do - we did not say that nor anything of the sort. I called him instrumental, a lynch pin - and for the 100th fucking time - do you understand what these mean? I've not said he is the sole (=only) reason, Ive not said Everton will fall apart without him or any the other nonsense you've spouted in a desperate attempt to cover up your initial mistakes.

If you want to stop ignoring proof against your argument because you dont like it, petition the Blueroom to reopen. Again. Here, we will think and counter opinions - some times because people are wrong because theyve not done the research, sometimes to understand where the other person is coming from. Getting uppity and making shit up though, drives me round the bend.

And finally, and this is not meant as any kind of olive branch at all, I agree with you on Coleman - he was our best player last season. But he wasnt our most important player. The most important player allowed him to be the best. That is the difference.

Describing him as the Lynch Pin basically means we'd fall apart without him. That's it. If the lynch pin breaks/is taken out the wheel falls off..... If that's not saying we'd be no good I don't know what is. Edited by MiguelCotto

Guest blueboy122

Yes, I rated Makelele. Mccarthys not anywhere near that level though is he? Thought we agree it was silly to compare yesterday.

I don't rate him as highly as others. There's no point getting into why. It's been done over an over. It's a preference. I'm at the game every week mate I don't need to watch match of the day I make my own judgment. If you think that's wrong fine. But I stand by we have better, more talented players in this squad and we'd still be a good side without him.

Obviously he isn't as good as Makalele was. But if you describe McCarthy as a limited footballer you would have to say Makalele is as well. They possess the same qualities.

Describing him as the Lynch Pin basically means we'd fall apart without him. That's it. If the lynch pin breaks/is taken out the wheel falls off..... If that's not saying we'd be no good I don't know what is.

Lynch pin is "something that holds the various elements of a complicated structure together" - as a player who fills in for a full back and who sits in front of back four and does that very well - I concur. Without him we would be a far less effective team, no one does his role consistently as good. Barry included.

Describing him as the Lynch Pin basically means we'd fall apart without him. That's it. If the lynch pin breaks/is taken out the wheel falls off..... If that's not saying we'd be no good I don't know what is.

No, it doesnt. You ignored the other adjective used to describe him (along with every other part of the debate that you dont want to recognize, again), the one I've used from the beginning - Instrumental. Argue that one.

Lynch pin is "something that holds the various elements of a complicated structure together" - as a player who fills in for a full back and who sits in front of back four and does that very well - I concur. Without him we would be a far less effective team, no one does his role consistently as good. Barry included.

:celebrate:

I'm going to stick up for Lukaku a bit here (who started reading that and thought I was going to say cotto?! Pfffft).

I think at this world cup he will be feeling very frustrated. He doesn't know if Chelsea want him. Probably doesn't know much about his options. Wants to impress in the tournament to put himself in the window. Belgium have played quite conservatively. It isn't quite going to plan. I'm not surprised he's looking a bit passed off.

On the flip side, how can it be that he will cost £20+ million but that Origi kid will only be about 5 million?

He plays for Chelsea and has been a promise all his career, this is what is inflating his price.

I'm still torn and will be until he either signs for us or signs for someone else. He is just going to be one of those players that sometimes you think you can see why there are 20m quotes while other times you question 10m.

I wouldn't be upset if we brought him.

If he does sign then he will be worth 30+ because RM will nurture him in time.

If he signs for someone else... well then he's shit aint he!

Guest blueboy122

Agree Matt that article is shortsighted and to be honest Naive. Lukaku does have potential no doubt.

I think the world is slowly starting to realise he isn't as good as he thinks he is and he isn't as good as his hype.

There was a twitter post stating he talks to much and I would agree with that definitely.

£20M player...... In the words of Jim Royal

'My Arse'

Although with the money that is being thrown around today on the likes of Shaw, Chelsea will definitely get £20M +

The only suggestions I've seen is Bony, Welbeck, Remy & Lukaku. I'd be happy if we took the punt on Batshuayi for £7m providing we signed another for decent money with a decent record.

Out of the first four I'd take Lukaku all day. None are 20+ strikers anyway.

I'd be uninspired by Welbeck, Bony and Remy would be good additions but I'd rather Lukaku. Keep saying it, he needs someone to push him.

Edited by MiguelCotto

The only suggestions I've seen is Bony, Welbeck, Remy & Lukaku. I'd be happy if we took the punt on Batshuayi for £7m providing we signed another for decent money with a decent record.

Out of the first four I'd take Lukaku all day. None are 20+ strikers anyway.

I'd be uninspired by Welbeck, Bony and Remy would be good additions but I'd rather Lukaku. Keep saying it, he needs someone to push him.

Batshuayi signed for Marseille