IGNORED

What Formation Will We Go For This Season?

0-0-10 like someone sugested ;) that way all these young strikers might get a goal lol 4-5-1 still but i do believe a 4-4-2 will b used in cup games and lower league fixtures, we need kill off the teams who should finish below us, so hopefully two up top, may give us a freedom to score (he says :P)

I actually reckon he might be right... ish. We certainly wont go 4-3-3 with 3 out and out strikers which is what I believe the OP was suggesting but I think we may at times be playing with one main striker and then two wider strikers (probably Guaye, Silva, Vic, JV etc) when we are chasing a goal, or maybe in a cup match or two.

To be honest I think at somepoint we will have to play like that just to keep all the bloody strikers we have happy!

• 12 years later...

With the idea of dropping Gordon and DM being inconsistent, I was wondering how we could like up. Back 4 and keeper are pretty much nailed on, but wondering if we can change shape a bit further up

Garner Gana Onana

Iwobi

Maupay   DCL

Or maybe a diamon with Gana a bit held back to only cover defence. Would maybe leave us a bit narrow and would be heavily reliant on the full backs providing the width. 

I am very much against the idea of playing without width.

I think a part of the problem we see with Gray and Gordon is that they are constantly too far inside and running into trouble. Let them get chalk on their boots, spread the pitch nice and wide and isolate the fullback.

McNeil is more of a create a yard and whip a ball in type of player who is more likely to link up with the fullback so his width will come from that full back. His role should be looked at like a Pienaar / Baines combination with the full back.

34 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I am very much against the idea of playing without width.

I think a part of the problem we see with Gray and Gordon is that they are constantly too far inside and running into trouble. Let them get chalk on their boots, spread the pitch nice and wide and isolate the fullback.

McNeil is more of a create a yard and whip a ball in type of player who is more likely to link up with the fullback so his width will come from that full back. His role should be looked at like a Pienaar / Baines combination with the full back.

I'm not a fan of it either unless Myko and Patterson massively improve. But having control over the centre of the field is also very important and with our wingers blowing cold rather than hot at the moment, I'm wondering if we look to play more narrow when attacking.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

With the idea of dropping Gordon and DM being inconsistent, I was wondering how we could like up. Back 4 and keeper are pretty much nailed on, but wondering if we can change shape a bit further up

Garner Gana Onana

Iwobi

Maupay   DCL

Or maybe a diamon with Gana a bit held back to only cover defence. Would maybe leave us a bit narrow and would be heavily reliant on the full backs providing the width. 

Sounds like something to consider, for sure - even if only to hear a commentator say "Garner Gana Onana".

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm not a fan of it either unless Myko and Patterson massively improve. But having control over the centre of the field is also very important and with our wingers blowing cold rather than hot at the moment, I'm wondering if we look to play more narrow when attacking.

I don't know if it would give us control. It would definitely make it very difficult to breakdown and therefore give us defensive control, but I am not sure what we would do on the ball. I just think we would end up turning the ball over so quickly because its very easy to defend against narrow teams. 

I would like to see us play a 4-3-3 with a single pivot & 2 of the midfield more advanced. Iwobi & Garner look like they could suit this advanced role, possibly Mcneil as well.

We have addressed the lack of industry in midfield nicely but I am hoping Frank starts tweaking the technical side of things.

Onana/Gana

Iwobi              Garner/Mcneil 

Bit soon to rush Garner in but we can’t rely on Gana every minute of the season.  

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't know if it would give us control. It would definitely make it very difficult to breakdown and therefore give us defensive control, but I am not sure what we would do on the ball. I just think we would end up turning the ball over so quickly because its very easy to defend against narrow teams. 

The defensive control could act as a spring board for counters. 

I don't know. I'm on my 3rd week of sick leave and bored stiff :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t mind seeing this when Patterson is back…

Pickford

Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko 

Gueye or Doucoure 

Garner        Onana

Iwobi

Calvert-Lewin        Maupay

Gray/Gordon to come on vs tired legs.

Even though each have got a couple of important goals I don’t think either offer a constant threat - both have been far too easy to defend against recently. We’re pretty solid now (although we do ride our luck!) but completely toothless. Patterson is a big miss as he improves in at both ends of the pitch in my opinion.

Just now, c1982 said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing this when Patterson is back…

Pickford

Patterson Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko 

Gueye or Doucoure 

Garner        Onana

Iwobi

Calvert-Lewin        Maupay

Gray/Gordon to come on vs tired legs.

Even though each have got a couple of important goals I don’t think either offer a constant threat - both have been far too easy to defend against recently. We’re pretty solid now (although we do ride our luck!) but completely toothless. Patterson is a big miss as he improves in at both ends of the pitch in my opinion.

Problem is that makes us play so narrow and we just can’t string the passes together. The start of the season we looked threatening when we switched the play and stretched teams.

Stick with the 4–3-3. Tweak the personnel to send the message that if you underperform, you’re out of the team.

2 minutes ago, Btay said:

Problem is that makes us play so narrow and we just can’t string the passes together. The start of the season we looked threatening when we switched the play and stretched teams.

Stick with the 4–3-3. Tweak the personnel to send the message that if you underperform, you’re out of the team.

Our wide options are Gray, Gordon and McNeil - beyond throwing Mills or another from the academy, I’m stumped… definitely the next issue to address in the next 2 windows - a decent loan (to buy) in Jan would be a bonus.