IGNORED

Landon Donovan

I don't see how it's a bit much to compare him to Distin, and no offense to Cahill, but he's not that well-known in the USA, whereas Donovan is the face of US soccer.

Well it depends. Australia's interest in Red Bull New York has grown pretty extensively to the point that the team is offering a promotion of sorts where Australian fans are going to get their own supporters' section for a game. But yes, it is comparing apples to oranges a bit. Donovan moving from MLS to EPL would absolutely be a big deal here. Especially now with Dempsey out of the EPL, Donovan and Howard on Everton would put us in the best possible TV slots possible and certainly convert people into fans; I'm living proof of that with Howard.

so long as he takes a cut in pay, I will be happy

I think you're overestimating how much he's making here. Donovan is currently on a salary of $2.5 Million USD (about 1.6 Million Pounds). Would 2-2.25 Million Pounds really be too much for you for a player of his quality ON A FREE?

I don't see how it's a bit much to compare him to Distin, and no offense to Cahill, but he's not that well-known in the USA, whereas Donovan is the face of US soccer.

agreed that Donovan is probably the best known football name in the US....

...but there are other countries, bigger countries, out there...

:P

I know what you mean though. Trouble is, we cant make a profit out of well known players outside of the UK.

agreed that Donovan is probably the best known football name in the US....

...but there are other countries, bigger countries, out there...

:P

I know what you mean though. Trouble is, we cant make a profit out of well known players outside of the UK.

You can if you sell them to the right market.

There is no way that Spurs would have received the transfer fee that they did for Dempsey in any other market besides MLS. He's a big deal for us, because soccer is still a growing sport here. Maybe not a profit, but breaking even is another possibility -- which isn't a bad deal when you throw depth into the equation.

But this argument is moot anyway, because Donny Boy isn't coming.

You can if you sell them to the right market.

There is no way that Spurs would have received the transfer fee that they did for Dempsey in any other market besides MLS. He's a big deal for us, because soccer is still a growing sport here. Maybe not a profit, but breaking even is another possibility -- which isn't a bad deal when you throw depth into the equation.

But this argument is moot anyway, because Donny Boy isn't coming.

if youre only talking tranfer fee then ok.hes 31, 2-3 year contract hes 33/34 so who will by him, even in the MLS? But for the club, rather than the progress of the MLS (selfish I know) its not a good deal

if youre only talking tranfer fee then ok.hes 31, 2-3 year contract hes 33/34 so who will by him, even in the MLS? But for the club, rather than the progress of the MLS (selfish I know) its not a good deal

If he's on the free then the main cost is going to be his salary. I just don't see your argument regarding the good of the club and it being a bad deal. If he's not good enough then EFC would just sell him and MLS would more than likely buy him back. EFC would also sell Donovan jerseys. Donovan is still a good player, and I'm fairly certain that most folks on this forum don't pay attention to MLS and couldn't comment on his recent play.

As far as who would buy him? I guess you forgot about Henry(36), Cahill(33), Nesta(37), Keane (33), Frings (36 -- retired last season)... etc. Dempsey isn't that young at 30 either.

MLS is also trying to market the league while improving it. Donovan comes here (or wherever), plays well, gains fans, goes back to MLS... you can see the domino effect.

But like I said, moot point.

And I could do without your patronizing me.

Edited by TonkaRoost

If he's on the free then the main cost is going to be his salary. I just don't see your argument regarding the good of the club and it being a bad deal. If he's not good enough then EFC would just sell him and MLS would more than likely buy him back. EFC would also sell Donovan jerseys. Donovan is still a good player, and I'm fairly certain that most folks on this forum don't pay attention to MLS and couldn't comment on his recent play.

As far as who would buy him? I guess you forgot about Henry(36), Cahill(33), Nesta(37), Keane (33), Frings (36 -- retired last season)... etc. Dempsey isn't that young at 30 either.

MLS is also trying to market the league while improving it. Donovan comes here (or wherever), plays well, gains fans, goes back to MLS... you can see the domino effect.

But like I said, moot point.

not trying to be difficult mate! I didnt forget about any of the players the MLS has signed, that you mentioned.

Is he on a free, thats the first question. is he on a free?

Domino affect stops after the transfer back, which would be minimal. We cant capitalize on merchandise in the US, so theres nothing more for Everton.

not trying to be difficult mate! I didnt forget about any of the players the MLS has signed, that you mentioned.

Is he on a free, thats the first question. is he on a free?

Domino affect stops after the transfer back, which would be minimal. We cant capitalize on merchandise in the US, so theres nothing more for Everton.

His contract with MLS ends in December. Thus, we could sign him tonight and not pay a single cent to MLS. With that in mind I don't see why a transfer fee matters in the least.

His contract with MLS ends in December. Thus, we could sign him tonight and not pay a single cent to MLS. With that in mind I don't see why a transfer fee matters in the least.

then I quote myself:

id take him on a free transfer and low wages.

So you'd "take him on a free" even though it would be "bad" for Everton? Scratching my head here.

the only bad part for Everton is a transfer fee we wouldn't get back. Since there wouldn't be a transfer fee, there isn't a downside (depending on wages). Not sure how its I'm not being clear!

I don't understand why we would want/need him back. Yeah free, cheap etc but ultimately he's 32 in march, he looked more off the pace in his second stint. IMO he would be taking the bench space of mcelany/Vellios/hope who we need to be looking to bring along.

Second stint was the start of his whiny existential crisis. The last 2-3 months have been the best football of his entire career.

I don't understand why we would want/need him back. Yeah free, cheap etc but ultimately he's 32 in march, he looked more off the pace in his second stint. IMO he would be taking the bench space of mcelany/Vellios/hope who we need to be looking to bring along.

Giving some young players a place on the bench and not using them doesn't improve them as much as working with a top professional like Donovan every day of the week would.

Giving some young players a place on the bench and not using them doesn't improve them as much as working with a top professional like Donovan every day of the week would.

I reckon they will learn more from playing/training with someone like Deulofeu who is one of the worlds hottest young talents, and also a similar age to them and they can relate to him better than they would Donovan.

I do love how are US fans try to encourage a re-signing every window, but imo it's just another over 30 player, not needed.

Edited by Simon

It was more a general point tbh

Idiotic point. I used to loathe Donovan, but came around on him after seeing him at Everton. And if I were you, I'd think again about the connection between American nationalist sentiment and soccer fandom. In general, I'd say our clubs override our quest for American empire.

Idiotic point. I used to loathe Donovan, but came around on him after seeing him at Everton. And if I were you, I'd think again about the connection between American nationalist sentiment and soccer fandom. In general, I'd say our clubs override our quest for American empire.

Not at all, it's my observation that after one good loan spell a certain section of the fanbase are desperate for us to get him back, he's mr average as far as im concerned and we have a few of them already, we don't need another. This is a forum and im entitled to my opinion so let's just agree to disagree, yes?

Edited by Simon

Anyone who doesn't believe Landon Donovan isn't capable of playing at this level is flat out wrong. He's been playing arguably the best football of his career these last few months. And I've been on record before showing disdain for Donovan.

That being said, I don't really see much of a need for him right now. Oviedo deserves some playing time on the left side and Deulofeu can play either side. With Naismith and Gueye there as filler options. He might be a bit redundant. But again, he becomes a free agent in December. Who knows what happens between now and then whether through transfers or injuries.

Edited by thoward18

Blimey, you would think he's world class or something. He's a hard working front runner who relies on being fully fit and full of energy. But he is getting on and the quality of the prem may be a little much for him now.

For me it's the wrong type of signing. We have kone and jelavic as experienced strikers, anichebe, Vellios, Gerard all in frame to get the odd game. Mcaleny will be looking for game time when he gets back - so for me getting Donovan would be like going to primark for a few tit bits before your holiday when you have already got a suit case full of things - just in case!

I love all these folks who think Donovan is past it but don't watch him play at all, or haven't even watched him play outside his stints for Everton.

Furthermore, Isn't that like 2 months of total playing time for Everton? I don't know how many players can adapt to a team in one month like Donovan has each time after playing for full calendar years without any breaks for LA Galaxy/national team. :dont know:

I understand those not wanting him here, but to say he couldn't handle the "quality" of the Prem is another thing, especially if you don't even watch him play.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I love all these folks who think Donovan is past it but don't watch him play at all, or haven't even watched him play outside his stints for Everton.

Furthermore, Isn't that like 2 months of total playing time for Everton? I don't know how many players can adapt to a team in one month like Donovan has each time after playing for full calendar years without any breaks for LA Galaxy/national team. :dont know:

I understand those not wanting him here, but to say he couldn't handle the "quality" of the Prem is another thing, especially if you don't even watch him play.

fair point. Without sounding disrespectful, he's head and shoulders above most in the MLS, so couldn't that make him look better than he is, big fish small pond kinda thing? He has proven himself here, not as a world beater in the EPL, but he is a solid player who's experience could help the youth develop too.

I haven't followed him much outside of his stints here and then the international competitions, so will bow to your better judgement here. If he's free, and wages aren't too expensive, then ok.

fair point. Without sounding disrespectful, he's head and shoulders above most in the MLS, so couldn't that make him look better than he is, big fish small pond kinda thing? He has proven himself here, not as a world beater in the EPL, but he is a solid player who's experience could help the youth develop too.

I haven't followed him much outside of his stints here and then the international competitions, so will bow to your better judgement here. If he's free, and wages aren't too expensive, then ok.

I believe it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said that the top MLS teams would be mid-to-high table teams in the Championship. So make of that what you will. Obviously being productive in MLS and being productive in for an established EPL team are two completely different things but it's not like he's playing against San Marino. And he isn't "head and shoulders" above everyone else.

And it's not just in MLS; he's been doing it with the national team as well.

I believe it was Sir Alex Ferguson who said that the top MLS teams would be mid-to-high table teams in the Championship. So make of that what you will. Obviously being productive in MLS and being productive in for an established EPL team are two completely different things but it's not like he's playing against San Marino. And he isn't "head and shoulders" above everyone else.

And it's not just in MLS; he's been doing it with the national team as well.

He's actually quite short!

Just kidding.

But in all seriousness, Donovan surprises me every year. His Gold Cup campaign this year was inspirational. He's always been the Galaxy's greatest asset, even with the likes of Beckham and Keane in the squad. This has been his best year in the last three.

6 assists in 9 matches (in all comps) in his second stint. Not too shabby. Over 38 matches, that would be 25+ assists. I know that's completely impossible. But don't tell me his second spell wasn't impressive. Felli and Peanuts had 6 last season. Baines had 5. Donovan made 6 in a month.

He had only 3 the first time, and scored two in 13 matches (in all comps). From a purely statistical perspective, that would mean he was better the second time around.

All I know is that he gels here, and makes the players around him better. For cheap/free and on decent wages, bringing him back for a season or two is a no-brainer.