IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

All this talk has made me wish I could play again, but it ain't going to happen due to my right shoulder being damaged by surgery, just don't have the movement :(.

if the wife lets you up north, we can go head to head on the Himalayas ;)

4 or 7 irons are my friends, can perform magic with them. The rest are cursed, especially the feckin putter

Can count the decent shots I played with a driver (in my life) on the fingers of one hand, and have one or two to spare. Me and woods never got on, apart from an almost antique three and a half wood my dad had, could connect with that on occasion.

Always had fallback clubs that I could rely on; even if I was on the tee of a par five I'd play my four iron if I was playing badly because I knew nine times out of ten I'd hit it the thick end of 200 yards in a straight line and hopefully get back on track. Ancient hickory shafted seven iron was my favourite club ever, never let me down.

All this talk has made me wish I could play again, but it ain't going to happen due to my right shoulder being damaged by surgery, just don't have the movement :(.

i'm the exact same mike. i used to golf with a "sunday bag" it's a small tiny bag and i'd bring my 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, 3 iron and a putter. i'd bring that to regular courses and the guys would laugh at me. i'd be laughing when i landed solid shots on the fairway and green and they were hitting it 300 feet with a slice to the next hole over. wasn't the prettiest way to play but it worked for me.

My best golf memory is of a week when I had two corporate golf invitations. On the Thursday I played at Woburn which included dinner in the evening. I then stayed in a local hotel overnight and on Friday morning drove to Stanstead where Ford Motor Co. had laid on their private jet to fly a small group out to Spain. We flew into Malaga and a coach took us to San Roque where we were billeted in chalets. We played San Roque on Friday afternoon/evening and on Saturday we were taken to Valderrama for the main competition. If anyone tells you that Valderrama is the European 'Augusta National' then they are spot on. The fairways are better than the greens at many clubs. Each four ball was accompanied by two lads in uniform who replaced every divot and repaired every pitchmark, always kneeling to do it properly. On the practice ground before we went out, we were talking to an American guy who was a member. He said you couldn't be a member if you lived within 50 miles of the club. I suppose that was to keep the wear and tear down on the course. On the 17th, par five, the green was an upturned saucer shape (it has been changed since). I was tending the pin and the guy who was putting was on the edge of the green about 40 feet away. He hit his putt and half-way I said 'good putt'. It was rolling slowly when it reached the pin and was still rolling slowly when it went off the green 60 feet on the other side.

My best golf memory is of a week when I had two corporate golf invitations.

The only corporate invitation I ever had was to a cricket match, Essex v Middlesex at Colchester. Had a great day, sat next to a Corinthian Casuals footballer at lunch who was really interesting, free booze all day long so was fairly "relaxed" then unaccountably got set upon by three blokes while I was leaving the ground. Luckily I was young and fit at the time (and training in a martial art) so was able to defend myself and they barely put a fist on me. Fell asleep on the tube on the way home, lived in London at the time, probably did about seven circuits of the circle line before I regained my senses and got home. Odd day but a good memory :).

Fifty odds seconds into this, how a Panenka can make you look a twat when it goes wrong!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36064119

(Funny enough the same guy got the winning pen in the shoot-out taking a sensible one, and fair play to him for taking number five after the earlier cock-up)

Well done Stubbsy, though I suspect Celtic will tear you a new one in the final (assuming they beat Rangers to get there).

Collumoore backed off because he knows lescott would kick his ass. If you're going to be a pundit and act like that an idiot just destroying players when you weren't even a worldie yourself this is what you get. Someone standing up to you and saying I know the real you man up, and Stan backs off like a littl puss.

So tired of these ex footballer turned pundits acting like they are something else. Jamie red knapp is case and point number one. Was a shit football and acts like he's got the insights into messi and the world best, he's an idiot.

I'm with lescott on this, players need to have class and so do pundits.

Mark, the fact you side with Collymore baffles me. Lescott got called a tit and is trying to bout with him now? I don't get why it's even necessary to "man up" over this.

His recent comments on Villa's relegation make him look even more ridiculous.

Lescott is a tit, and I'm glad he left Everton with a brain like that. At least he's trying to fight for something, because he hasn't been doing that for Villa this season.

Edited by TonkaRoost

Ah joleon joleon... when will you ever learn. He's a deluded prick of a man who has took the piss whilst being a member of a proud clubs relegated team.

Hd was lucky to have a career after getting on the wrong side of people you don't want to fuck with when at wolves.

I get why people hate collymore he's hardly a beacon of decency. (For the record I bet any money ulrika would drive the most placid of men to insanity, no excuse though)

Lescott is a disgrace simple as that. And if it came to it collymore would destroy lescott... hard bloke.

Mark, the fact you side with Collymore baffles me. Lescott got called a tit and is trying to bout with him now? I don't get why it's even necessary to "man up" over this.

His recent comments on Villa's relegation make him look even more ridiculous.

Lescott is a tit, and I'm glad he left Everton with a brain like that. At least he's trying to fight for something, because he hasn't been doing that for Villa this season.

I just hate pundits who act like now that they quit they were world beaters and know everything about the game. It usually goes the worse the player the more adamant and stubborn the pundit. Gary Neville doesn't need to prove his manhood so he's a level headed pundit with decent opinions. Jamie red knapp is trying to make up for sucking ass on the pitch by trying to be Johnny badass pundit and its farcical. I can't stand these pundits.

I just hate pundits who act like now that they quit they were world beaters and know everything about the game. It usually goes the worse the player the more adamant and stubborn the pundit. Gary Neville doesn't need to prove his manhood so he's a level headed pundit with decent opinions. Jamie red knapp is trying to make up for sucking ass on the pitch by trying to be Johnny badass pundit and its farcical. I can't stand these pundits.

For the record Stan collymore is possibly one of the most talented strikers I had seen at Goodison. Suffered from mental illness and really should have been an England great.

He suffered mental illness in the past. Would you have a problem with him if he'd had cancer in the past?

No difference.

Completely different things and I've suffered mental illness myself and father has had cancer 3 times.

If lescott is so shit why is the manager playing him? Play another CB. Well they are worse, so maybe the problem isn't lescott it's villa are not great. No need to victimize one guy.

Completely different things and I've suffered mental illness myself and father has had cancer 3 times.

If lescott is so shit why is the manager playing him? Play another CB. Well they are worse, so maybe the problem isn't lescott it's villa are not great. No need to victimize one guy.

Yes, the entire villa squad is shit, and the problems lies with the whole set-up -- doesn't mean Lescott should act like like a tool. He carries himself in a manner that's offensive to Villa fans. Edited by TonkaRoost

Disagree completely, both are illnesses and if you get over them what's to stop you entering any profession you choose? Do you think you should be discriminated against because of your past problems and your dad shouldn't?

Neither should but I'm not currently mentally ill. Haf said the mans mentally ill, so whys he on tv?

He did suffer depression as a footballer and that ruined his career - never relocated, didn't mix well, bipolar tendencies etc etc

He still suffers bipolar now as a presenter and uses it as a vehicle to raise awareness for a stigmatised condition. He has learned how to live with his condition now rather than have to explain himself to dinosaurs like John Gregory who wondered how he can be depressed earning £££ a week.

I have had big episodes in the past where alcohol and recreational drugs sparked the black dogs coming for me... ah winston Churchill... Yeah should have jibbed him off too.... then again I may be typing in German. Some people live like this day to day.

I personally think it's fine to have people on tv or radio who suffer with depression and are open and honest about it. When you see bell ends like John bishop and paddy mcguinness you think the who world is meant to be stupidly giddy.

I don't like what collymore did but I respect the person he's become.

Edited by Hafnia

He did suffer depression as a footballer and that ruined his career - never relocated, didn't mix well, bipolar tendencies etc etc

He still suffers bipolar now as a presenter and uses it as a vehicle to raise awareness for a stigmatised condition. He has learned how to live with his condition now rather than have to explain himself to dinosaurs like John Gregory who wondered how he can be depressed earning £££ a week.

I have had big episodes in the past where alcohol and recreational drugs sparked the black dogs coming for me... ah winston Churchill... Yeah should have jibbed him off too.... then again I may be typing in German. Some people live like this day to day.

I personally think it's fine to have people on tv or radio who suffer with depression and are open and honest about it. When you see bell ends like John bishop and paddy mcguinness you think the who world is meant to be stupidly giddy.

I don't like what collymore did but I respect the person he's become.

Good post

Good post

But still shouldn't be employed as far as you're concerned seemingly, you're taking over the contradiction role from another member it seems.

Why not just admit that you were wrong? Easily done and people will respect you more (talking for myself there but hopefully others will agree with my pedantry :lol:).

But still shouldn't be employed as far as you're concerned seemingly, you're taking over the contradiction role from another member it seems.

Why not just admit that you were wrong? Easily done and people will respect you more (talking for myself there but hopefully others will agree with my pedantry :lol:).

I thought it was a good post, I still don't think pundits should tell footballers how to live their lives as they only know from hindsight. I'm completely and legally allowed to have an opinion whether you view it as right or wrong. Take a social psychology course and you're learn right and wrong is the lowest level of moral development by Kohlberg. the more you become developed the more you realize there's more to an argument than that.