IGNORED

Longest Thread For Sport Talk

Yep I'm so glad Kenwright never sold us to a man who gave his manager £200m to spend on players over 4 years and who built a training ground and improved the stadium... it would have meant that moyes would have signed Marlon Harewood, Emile heskey, reo Coker, Nick Shorey, Steve sidwell, wiping out a decent squad and putting the club on a downward trajectory that couldn't be recovered.

I'm so glad we had to wait all these years to get investment... I really enjoyed the times when we had to get players like bent, Beckford, Straq for nothing and sell the rooneys, lescotts, artetas... it's been a blast...

I'm so glad Lerners money would have been too late to deliver a King's dock stadium... he would have deffo delivered the ikea flat pack job in Kirkby that Bill wanted.

Moyes is favourite to take over at Villa.

We may finally get to see what he can do with Lerner's money :P:67:.

I suppose its better than being on the dole with the occasional appearance as a pundit on football TV programmes.

Unless he's a very stupid man he's already earned enough to never have to work another day in his life.

Not likely to be seen signing on I don't think.

Just been listening to the mirrors Spanish correspondent. He said neville has been very very unlucky. He said he so nearly got a few results that would have earned him a longer contract if he wanted it.

Nearly getting the results and actually getting them are totally different things. It's the same argument against/for Martinez. He nearly got some results, but hasn't and people want shot.

If you don't get results, you don't get to keep the position. Full stop. His record was poor. He should go. Same as Martinez. At least their board had the balls to do it, especially when you consider one of them (Salford CIty Investor) is good friends with him.

Nearly getting the results and actually getting them are totally different things. It's the same argument against/for Martinez. He nearly got some results, but hasn't and people want shot.

If you don't get results, you don't get to keep the position. Full stop. His record was poor. He should go. Same as Martinez. At least their board had the balls to do it, especially when you consider one of them (Salford CIty Investor) is good friends with him.

I looked into this last night and according to many observers he did an awful lot right at Valencia - the fact is its Gary Neville, loved by the mancs and hated by everyone else.

So many people wanted to hate him as a pundit and it is fair to say he is the best I have seen. His eye for detail and the fundamentals of what a player should do was second to none. I watched him in the Salford fc series and he is impressive in how he conducts and organises himself. I seen how he pulled Jack Wilshire aside as an England coach telling him to get his earphones out in the warm up - he knows how to prepare for games.

The English team that takes a chance on him will get a very good manager and coach. The thing about the lad is he will definitely have learned from this and he will have a score to settle. Valencia was a poisoned chalice and I don't think he can be judged harshly on it.

I certainly don't hate him. I have massive admiration for him. I too think he's an incredible pundit and actually (like you were) my opinion on him changed more-so, when I saw the way he was during the series you refer to.

However, a good pundit does not make a good manager. Maybe a good pundit could make a good coach? But the roles are very different.

He'll need to start at the bottom for me. Work his way up the footballing leagues to get that experience and work with players who aren't going to look at him just as Man United's old RB.

Unfortunately, it's a results business. He didn't do enough to save himself. That's the head and tail of it.

Haf did you see his results? He was woeful in the league. His only saving grace was a CL win, other than that he struggled to get draws

I seen the "results" as can any fan who never "watched" the team. I looked into what was behind those results and many Spanish correspondents think he got a lot right - Balague said he was doomed from the second he took over - the press and fans didn't want him and they made sure he knew it.

The players who were already mutinous - as Terry Gibson said:-

"It is one of the most important clubs in Spanish football. He is walking into an atmosphere that is quite volcanic at the moment.

"The supporters are against the owners of the club. There have been 27 first-team players accumulated in the last 18 months that all want to be starting and half of those are getting the hump every week.

“It is a really, really tough job. It is brave form Valencia and even braver from Neville to take it on at the moment."

He did some big things, changed the captaincy for the better - the problem was despite playing some really good stuff Negredo was missing a ridiculous amount of chances and games that they should have won they drew or lost.

Big big learning for a bright young manager. As I say now and said a long while ago I would love him as a coach at Everton.

moyes to the championship? how the mighty have fallen

Lawrenson on Moyes to Villa...

"I think David Moyes would listen to an offer but I have to look at the games in the Championship. They could go down with what they have or what they haven't got. You would need unbelievable assurances from those running the club. My question is: why didn't they buy anyone in January?"

Interesting. I'll need to do some research to see how he likes to setup and who he will be most likely to release.

Had a read. Roman sure likes similar coaches!! He's just like mourinho and is super super strict and a disciplinarian. He works the team into the ground and has defensive minded football (Italian I should have figured). Same as mourinho in that he doesn't care how pretty it is he just wants to win at all costs.

I imagine Hazard is gone then.

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/2844147/arsenals-jack-wilshere-needs-to-be-wiser-says-ian-wright

i think he is my least favorite footballer out there currently. complete idiot.

Talk about legend before a footballer and this is him. Some truly brilliant games showing a brilliantly quick brain and tremendous left peg. Unfortunately he appears to be a grade A bell end.

I just don't think he's that good. Massively inconsistent. And always injured.

Ramsey was the better player but he's not English, so obviously not as good....

His inconsistencies are up there with Barkley - when he is on his game he is a proper footballer, players can't get near him... but yeah, he's a divvy with too much money and a huge ego.

As well as always being injured, when he plays, he goes down too easily (and stays down) always looking for a free kick. It means he's out of the game. Once saw him do it for Arsenal on the edge of his own penalty area. Didn't get the free kick and was out of the game while the ball was pinging around the Arsenal penalty area. Have never rated him.

Wow! Ernie Els starts his first round at the Masters with a ten. Ouch.

Wish I was in it; I could say I'd played and wasn't last the whole tournament! Well maybe, dabbled in double figures myself on more than one occasion in the past :unsure:.

Been "upgraded" to a nine, but he had a three foot put for a par four, astonishing.

The four-time major winner, playing with world number one Jason Day and Matt Kuchar, missed the green with his approach to the first, but recovered to leave himself a three-footer for par. It was then that the problems started.

Fourth shot (first putt) - Past the hole on the left, the same distance back for bogey
Fifth shot (second putt) - Another miss to the left, back to an almost identical position from where the first was missed, Els shows his first sign of frustration
Sixth shot (third putt) - Yet another miss left, Els now looks to his caddie
Seventh shot (fourth putt) - Longer taken over this one, a walk away to line it up, then a miss right
Eighth shot (fifth putt) - Tries to tap in with one hand only for the ball to lip out
Ninth shot (sixth putt) - Another one-hander, the ball finally drops and Els' record-breaking nightmare is over

I remember Brian Barnes doing similar at a tournament in the 1970's. He missed a three footer, missed a two footer coming back, then missed another two footer. In frustration, he just started hitting his putts one handed backwards and forwards, a couple were hit when the ball was still moving so he incurred penalty shots too. I think they settled for a 13 on his card and he also got fined by the PGA.

I remember Brian Barnes doing similar at a tournament in the 1970's. He missed a three footer, missed a two footer coming back, then missed another two footer. In frustration, he just started hitting his putts one handed backwards and forwards, a couple were hit when the ball was still moving so he incurred penalty shots too. I think they settled for a 13 on his card and he also got fined by the PGA.

Not heard of that one John but you're not far wrong!

"Barnes was responsible for one of the most atrocious putting performances ever seen in a professional tournament. During the 1968 French Open, Barnes missed a short putt on the par-3 8th hole. Angry with the miss, he then tried to rake the ball into the cup, but missed. He then hit the ball back and forth while it was still moving. After all of the missed putts and penalty strokes were counted, Barnes had scored a 15 for the hole."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Barnes_(golfer)

Just a bit of golfing trivia. Brian Barnes married the daughter of Max Faulkner, (playboy golf professional before the war). Max Faulkner was assistant pro at my golf club - Sonning in his early years and rumour has it that there are lots of local lads and lasses in their 70's/80's who bear a striking resemblence. A bit like Del and Rodney's visit to France when they saw multiple Uncle Alberts! Sure its all just rumour though!

Edited by johnh