IGNORED

Chelsea (Away)

Romey 1878

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was quality.

Pleasure to watch in the second half, but will count for nothing if we can't beat Wigan next week.

A good point I suppose, but I'm not getting carried away yet. We played much better in the second half. Could have maybe took all 3 points on another day, but we were still awful first half, and I think Beckford warrants starting from now on. Saha! What a waste of space.

However, getting back to what Mike said, we need to start winning again, starting next week against Wigan.

BBC....

"There was no doubt about the decision to award the spot kick after Howard clumsy brought down Anelka following an atrocious attempted backpass from Toffees skipper Phil Neville.

However, referee Lee Probert should arguably have sent the Everton keeper from the field as he had denied Anelka a clear goal-scoring opportunity."

:mellow:

Setanta...

"Chelsea took the lead in controversial circumstances a few minutes before the break. A poor pass-back from Phil Neville was collected by Anelka, who tapped the ball far to the side of Howard before running straight into the ‘keeper. Bizarrely, referee Lee Probert awarded a penalty, which Drogba converted confidently. Probert’s showing a yellow instead of a red card to Howard suggested the official was not confident his correctness in calling for the spot-kick."

OS....

"The striker popped the ball past the advancing Howard and the USA stopper blocked him off for a clear penalty.

The presence of Jagielka and Distin probably saved the keeper from a red card but that was the extent of his respite as Drogba stepped up to crash home from the spot."

Shrug :dont know: .

That first half was so bad, we were lucky that Chelsea weren't on it otherwise we'd have been mauled big time again. We were literally nowhere for that entire half, it was painful to watch. I'm not going to go into what was so bad for that first half because it was for the same reasons it's been for most games this season. But credit to the lads they really did step up in the second half, mostly towards the end of the half to be fair, but they stepped up eventually nevertheless. I'm actually disappointed that we didn't come away with the three points - if we'd have played the entire game like we played the last 20 or so minutes then I feel confident that we would have (how many times have we said that this season though?).

That was never a penalty in a million fucking years. Anelka could and should have gone round Howard with absolute ease, but he could see Jags and Distin coming round to cut the chance off so he blatantly just bulldozed into Howard. Prick. And shame on the ref for giving it.

If that game hasn't showed Moyes that Saha shouldn't be starting for us any more then nothing bloody will. He was atrocious. A waste of space. Shite. The list of negative words to go alongside that performance is endless tbh. Soon as Beckford came on we looked instantly more confident, we had more purpose to our play, we created chances etc etc. Saha isn't even getting a sniff in games any more, but Beckford is always in a position where he can score. I wrote Beckford off when we signed him but we look better, more of a threat, with him playing so he's got to be given more of a go.

Howard - It was never a penalty but I thought he looked dodgy all game long. We were fortunate that Chelsea didn't threaten more tbh.

Neville - WTF was he doing for their goal? He could clearly see Anelka before he played the ball back to Howard FFS. It was an unforgivable mistake and totally overshadows any positive play from him today.

Jagielka - Not as much hoofing and looked fairly solid. Still a long way from the standards he's set for himself though.

Distin - Started the game very sloppily and sat deeper than the rest of our backline on a couple of occasions but for most of the game he was quality.

Baines - I can't remember him being tested much defensively and his forward play was great as usual. He is one of the very few players we have who will run with the ball and the run and cross that got us our equaliser just oozed class. He never stopped running for us. He should be sponsored by Lucozade. How he doesn't get in the England squad is an absolute joke, he is comfortably the second best left-back in the country and he actually overshadowed Cole today IMO.

Coleman - He was always available as an outlet for us today but he just wasn't on it. He didn't play badly but he just never really got going. Probably because he was double teamed right from the off.

Rodwell - I forgot he was even on the pitch in the first-half tbh, but he grew into the game as it went on and was involved in everything towards the end of the game.

Fellaini - He transforms our midfield, he really does. The role he plays is what Arteta has been trying to do, but he's just not good enough to do it. Fellaini instantly brought a physical AND a calming influence to our midfield. He created space for him to receive the ball in, but even when he didn't have much space you could count on him not to lose the ball. Not only that though, he drove forward with the ball too. There was none of that pussy passing sideways. My MOTM.

Pienaar - He may have worked hard all game for us but his final ball is fucking terrible, and no amount of hard work makes up for that in my eyes when he's there specifically for that final ball to be spot on more often than not. It's no use doing all the hard work to fuck it up at the end. But that's exactly what he did pretty much every single time.

Cahill - I actually thought he looked rather jaded for much of the game. I'm not saying he played badly or anything like that, he just looked tired and drifted in and out of the game. That being said he is doing the work of two people uptop playing alongside Saha. Great header back across to set Beckford up too :).

Saha - A steaming pile of shite would have played better than Saha. That is all.

We've got to follow on from this by beating Wigan, we've just got to.

what about the goal scorer Mark? We were transformed when he came on. He wasnt brilliant but he gives us an outlet. I hope DM sees the difference, also with Arteta not playing too. took us 60 mins to get going but when we did we looked threatening. If we play like that against Wigan we should steamroller them

what about the goal scorer Mark? We were transformed when he came on. He wasnt brilliant but he gives us an outlet. I hope DM sees the difference, also with Arteta not playing too. took us 60 mins to get going but when we did we looked threatening. If we play like that against Wigan we should steamroller them

I only list the starters, but I did mention him in the bit before giving my views on the players mate :).

Edited by Romey 1878

I cannot believe he starts with Saha there has got to be something going on that we don't know about. I didn't see the game but if saha has had another bad game from the start can someone tell me what his record is this season. I have been rude agressive but please can someone explain to me how this bloke has any pride in himself when he turns in that shit every week. I think moyes has some misguided loyalty to this fucking cunt of a french twat

He's made an impact every time he's come on more or less, I'm not sure how Moyes can justify Saha being ahead of him in the pecking order atm.

absolutely mate, just hope he gets his chance to start, so that he can work on the rustiness and start being ruthless. No good making chances if he cant finish them. But like ive said all along, he is a natural born striker, it wont be long until he is banging them in regularly.

absolutely mate, just hope he gets his chance to start, so that he can work on the rustiness and start being ruthless. No good making chances if he cant finish them. But like ive said all along, he is a natural born striker, it wont be long until he is banging them in regularly.

I hope you're right, Matt, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong about him.

I hope you're right, Matt, I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong about him.

me too mate. dont take this the wrong way, but Distin is certainly trying his damnedest to prove you wrong, lets hope Beckford can too. Who knows, maybe the impossible will happen and Saha will do too!!!

me too mate. dont take this the wrong way, but Distin is certainly trying his damnedest to prove you wrong, lets hope Beckford can too. Who knows, maybe the impossible will happen and Saha will do too!!!

The thing with Distin is that he can be having a stormer of a game but you just know there's a big mistake in there somewhere that could rear it's ugly head at any moment... and that's why I don't like him and why I get nervous whenever the ball gets near him.

The thing with Distin is that he can be having a stormer of a game but you just know there's a big mistake in there somewhere that could rear it's ugly head at any moment... and that's why I don't like him and why I get nervous whenever the ball gets near him.

fair point but ive always had that feeling with Jags. Given the choice today though, id have Distin over Jags without a blink. Neither are perfect, far from it, but you have to admit that one of our star performers so far has been Distin, carrying on from last season in my eyes

fair point but ive always had that feeling with Jags. Given the choice today though, id have Distin over Jags without a blink. Neither are perfect, far from it, but you have to admit that one of our star performers so far has been Distin, carrying on from last season in my eyes

I've only got that feeling with Jags this season tbh.

I said it after the WBA game but both Distin and Jagielka are great defenders as individuals but as a partnership it just isn't working.

I've only got that feeling with Jags this season tbh.

I said it after the WBA game but both Distin and Jagielka are great defenders as individuals but as a partnership it just isn't working.

again fair point and i fully agree. but how to fix it? Id drop Jags personally and see if Johnny and Distin would work better. All this talk of selling Jags then, dare i say it, makes a little sense. Emphasis on little, he is younger and will outlast Distin. Jags is a quality defender and i really dont want to lose him but we need a partnership that will work.

Just for the record, ive been drinking solidly since the game and am on can number 11, so i might not be thinkin straight!beer.gif

Jags would be the one who would deserve dropping but I do feel he's a better defender than Distin (when he's in form obviously), so it'd be a tough decision. But Distin has no resale value whereas Jags does. Then like you said, Jags is younger so would be able to play for longer.... it's a tough one really.

Jags would be the one who would deserve dropping but I do feel he's a better defender than Distin (when he's in form obviously), so it'd be a tough decision. But Distin has no resale value whereas Jags does. Then like you said, Jags is younger so would be able to play for longer.... it's a tough one really.

Beer doesnt clear it up, but it makes the headache less of a worry! All those who are slagging off DM at the mo maybe dont see the big picture.