IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

I would never buy a new car. The day you drive it home, the experience costs you 30%+ depreciation. I always go for a low mileage used car with reliable history.

That BMW with 20,000 on the clock sounds the best bet, its hardly 'run-in' with that mileage. Can't remember what the warranty period is on BMW, if it has expired, try and get an extension as part of the deal and at the very least make sure it has had a full service.

When you go in the showroom, kick a few tyres, they will think you're an expert! :D

I'm the same John, buy used only and pay cash. I run my cars to 200k to 300k no problem. Have a 2003 Toyota right now with 270,000 miles still running strong.

Japanese cars I've found are the most reliable and run the longest (highest mileage). Honda, Toyota, Subaru.

Japanese cars are great, I'm currently driving a Nissan Juke. Best car I've ever owned.

I've got a Nissan Qashqai. Very reliable and practical and I like the higher driving position. Doing less than 5k miles per year now, if I was still doing my 30/40k I would have a big saloon, automatic. Had several Rovers from PS to SD1 to 75. Also had a Citroen 2.4 Pallas GTi which was great to drive but the bodywork disintegrated after 3 years. All company cars - have to buy my own now!

New car is the canine's testicles!

But now waiting for delivery of sofa & armchair from Harvey's which was going to arrive "between 3.00 and 4.00" :dry:. Harvey's store phone permanently engaged.

Supposed to be on our way to Bath by now.

We had the courtesy car (following crash) booked in by Enterprise to be picked up "before 12noon" (direct quote). They weren't here at 12.30 and when H spoke to them, "it'll now be between 2-5pm". So much for her hanging about waiting for them. Tossers.

Edited by Lowensda

We had the courtesy car (following crash) booked in by Enterprise to be picked up "before 12noon" (direct quote). They weren't here at 12.30 and when H spoke to them, "it'll now be between 2-5pm". So much for her hanging about waiting for them. Tossers.

Daughter was expecting delivery of new cooker last Friday, they phoned her Thursday evening to say it was "out of stock" and would now be delivered this Thursday. Cost the best part of £600 and they offered a £15 refund by way of compensation. Gee thanks.

Myself, I drive a 2016 Skoda Octavia SE-L. I'd highly recommend the new Skoda models as they've all had a facelift and lost that ridiculous bug eyes front end. They've got the look of an Audi these days.

The Skoda Yeti is a very highly rated SUV.

The Octavia is again rated as the best family car something like 4 years running.

Even the Fabia and Rapid are good cars, but at that lower end you may be better suited to a Fiesta or Corsa.

Anyway, that's enough cheerleading for Skoda ;-)

I've heard from several people Skoda is quite good, but the Yeti is, imo, the ugliest car I've ever seen. Also agree with you on French cars, but they are cheaper, so you get what you pay for.

I would never buy a new car. The day you drive it home, the experience costs you 30%+ depreciation. I always go for a low mileage used car with reliable history.

That BMW with 20,000 on the clock sounds the best bet, its hardly 'run-in' with that mileage. Can't remember what the warranty period is on BMW, if it has expired, try and get an extension as part of the deal and at the very least make sure it has had a full service.

When you go in the showroom, kick a few tyres, they will think you're an expert! :D

I've decided to go for the used car (BMW X1 xDrive18d). Thanks for the input, everyone.

Only thing left is to convince the wife.

Edited by holystove

Not complaining at all because I'm loving every moment in the new wheels, still finding new toys as I wade through the manual but it has a something that winds me up a little. There's a read-out telling me what gear I'm in (I don't need to be told thanks I know what gear I'm in) but worse it tells me what gear I should be in. I know what f'king gear I should be in so shut the f'ck up, I'm already in it and you are just plain wrong if you disagree :shaking fist:.

PS I have an advanced driving qualification so don't tell me the car knows best :dry:.

Bought a new TV cabinet the other day in IKEA and (having put it together quite easily) could no longer procrastinate on putting it in place. So I had to sort through spaghetti wiring dating back, some of it, ten years; unplugging everything while trying to remember what went where. So I had the TV, Sky box, Wii, Playstation, CD player, amp, DVD recorder, record player, router, phone, two speaker systems and shitloads of dust to sort through. What a job! Amazingly when I powered back up everything worked :).

Only thing left is to convince the wife.

I really enjoyed testdriving the BMW, but after telling my wife how great it was, we both agreed, having two young children, we don't need a car that is "fun", we need one that is safe and big enough to take all the crap with us that comes with having a one and a two year old.

Long story short, I have bought a VW Tiguan.

Bought a new TV cabinet the other day in IKEA and (having put it together quite easily) could no longer procrastinate on putting it in place. So I had to sort through spaghetti wiring dating back, some of it, ten years; unplugging everything while trying to remember what went where. So I had the TV, Sky box, Wii, Playstation, CD player, amp, DVD recorder, record player, router, phone, two speaker systems and shitloads of dust to sort through. What a job! Amazingly when I powered back up everything worked :).

there is the problem straight off :dry::unsure:

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

"Fake news".

Not its existence, just the fad for the term. It's always existed, just make your own judgement on what you read/see/hear.

Same as ever.

But more people as ever get their news via social media, where 'fake news' spreads quickly.. so it is a more pressing issue in this age.

Misinformation through fake news and lies ("alternative facts") is a real danger to western democracy, imo.

But more people as ever get their news via social media, where 'fake news' spreads quickly.. so it is a more pressing issue in this age.

Misinformation through fake news and lies ("alternative facts") is a real danger to western democracy, imo.

Don't disagree, just dislike the term.

Work....

Constant diagram changes having to move locations for major engineering works which will alter start and finish times which you've mapped out your life around already at the drop of a hat whilst a manager will get a pat on the back and some daft award when it's us that do the graft and get it all running smoothly... Bollocks

Edited by EFC-Paul

Greek air traffic controllers. They choose tomorrow at 11.00am do do a four hour walk out, we're due to land at 12.25, flight cancelled (got a text telling me about two hours ago). Can re-schedule or get a full refund but the problem is that easyJet only have one flight a week to Zakynthos from Bristol so re-scheduling means next Wednesday. So I've cancelled and rebooked from Gatwick but the next available flight is Sunday so that's four days holiday lost :dry:.

And I don't get a refund on Bristol parking because it's less than 24 hours notice.

And the flights are more expensive.

And the parking is more expensive.

And I have to do a f'king long drive rather than fifty miles up the road.

Crap.