IGNORED

Pienaar's Decision Made Weeks Before Transfer

Louis

As suspected.. Pienaar had already decided which club to join weeks before he left.

From his mum:

Steven phoned me on Tuesday to tell me he had made his decision. I know he was frustrated that Chelsea wanted him too and he didn't know what to do. "He had already decided to go to Spurs weeks before that so I told him to pray and ask God to show him the way and then he will make the right choice.

"I was just there to encourage Steven to do what he wanted and he told me he followed his heart."

Source: http://www.thesun.co...s-paradise.html

Not a bad article from the Sun to be honest.

Players come and players go, its always been that way in the past, and will continue to be that way in the future, I'm baffled as to where all the anger originates from.

The Lescott leaving brought about the same outcome, now it raises its ugly head again because Pienaar has left.

The saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" comes to mind, because how many of us can say they wouldn't move their place of work to get a £20 thousand pound raise on their Salary, If blame must be laid, lay it on the club for not fulfilling the players ambitions.

I certainly wont blame the players because they have been excellent players for the time they where here, and i will always remember them fondly. Best of luck on your new move Steven.

Players come and players go, its always been that way in the past, and will continue to be that way in the future, I'm baffled as to where all the anger originates from.

The Lescott leaving brought about the same outcome, now it raises its ugly head again because Pienaar has left.

The saying "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" comes to mind, because how many of us can say they wouldn't move their place of work to get a £20 thousand pound raise on their Salary, If blame must be laid, lay it on the club for not fulfilling the players ambitions.

I certainly wont blame the players because they have been excellent players for the time they where here, and i will always remember them fondly. Best of luck on your new move Steven.

100% this.

Whilst I agree with this in principle, the point is that Everton took a gamble on him when he was at an all time low and even God wasnt helping him, he was paid a healthy salary per week; more than most earn in a year and more than most (except my girlfriend if she had the chance) could spend in a week!, he was at a team where he was loved by both the fans and players and the style of play suited him as he was playing the best football of his career here, he was offered a good raise in his weekly wage to and he would have had extra stability from that. I dont agree with the logic of the £20k raise because it is not that in relative terms it is more like a couple of £100 for the working class like us. I believe that without Everton he would not be in the position he is in today and he would not be getting the nice healthy salary increase he has got, so far that I wont forgive him and the blame should be laid at both Peanuts for lack of loyalty and the club for lack of ambition as he has joined a club, which at present cant match his ambitions better than we can.

I don't think it's anger with Pienaar in the way it was with Lescott & Rooney, more disappointment and annoyance.

It's not as black and white as "players come and players go," the manner in which they do it will always impact on how they're remembered.

Pienaar could have made a huge difference imo by playing his heart out at Anfield last week-end and going to the fans at the end. He chose to stay at home. A shame because he has made a big contribution and deserves to be fondly remembered but it left a bad taste for me.

there's no right or wrong answer, all I'd add is I think Pienaar was quality for us and relatively consistent with it. Disappointed he's left, but I'm largely disappointed by modern football (mainly the financial/business side) so I'm not surprised by anything that happens these days!! (*ends old man rant*

I don't think it's anger with Pienaar in the way it was with Lescott & Rooney, more disappointment and annoyance.

It's not as black and white as "players come and players go," the manner in which they do it will always impact on how they're remembered.

Pienaar could have made a huge difference imo by playing his heart out at Anfield last week-end and going to the fans at the end. He chose to stay at home. A shame because he has made a big contribution and deserves to be fondly remembered but it left a bad taste for me.

You probably remember all these Mike.

Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Alex Young, Bob Latchford, Duncan Ferguson, Gary Lineker, need i go on. ;) Better players than Pienaar have moved on and that will always be the way.

Scouse, £20 thousand a year for the working class works out at £385 Pounds a week, if you wouldn't move your place of work for that pay rise, you must be a secret millionaire. :)

You probably remember all these Mike.

Alan Ball, Howard Kendall, Alex Young, Bob Latchford, Duncan Ferguson, Gary Lineker, need i go on. ;) Better players than Pienaar have moved on and that will always be the way.

Of course.

My point is, for example....

Nicky Barmby and Dave Watson moved on within a few months of each other. Remembered differently.....that's always been the way as well :) .

• 3 months later...

(didn't know where to put this...)

Anyways, been reading tottenham forums, they aren't too happy with pienaar to say the least.. :)

Yeah my mates a Spurs fan and he reckons he to slow, gives the ball away all the time and is awful when he gets a goalscoring opportunity! Watched last nites game and hes spot on haha he looked a different player to the one we had! Maybe Baines made him look better than he is? Oh and good to see his move for cl football worked out!

You would have thought he'd have learnt his lesson from not fitting in at Dortmund. He'd found a club in Everton where he fitted in perfectly and the fans more or less loved him here and he chose to abandon that to get a few minutes off the bench in the CL and extra money, but to he just doesn't fit at Spurs and the fans dislike him.

I hope it was worth it Stevey because I think you'll be shipped out this summer. Maybe you could go back to Germany and disappear into obscurity again.

If it means we finish a place higher than we are now then that's fine by me!

if we win our remaining games and they lose theirs, we could finish above them on goal difference :) (theyre 5 points ahead, 6 points to play for). Theyve got Liverpool and Birmingham, we have West Brom (revenge is needed!!!) and Chelsea. If Utd win the title at the weekend, Chelsea will have nothing to play for and West Brom are safe. Liverpool however are fighting for 5th and on a roll and Brum will be fighting for their lives.

:unsure:

Wouldn't that put us ahead on points?

quiet you :P .... ok if they draw and lose and we win both we go ahead on goal difference....

.... right? unsure.gif . Last weeks stress has been doubled this week so expect more of the same stupid comments (but hopefully you can see what im getting at!)

Edited by Matt

quiet you :P .... ok if they draw and lose and we win both we go ahead on goal difference....

.... right? unsure.gif . Last weeks stress has been doubled this week so expect more of the same stupid comments (but hopefully you can see what im getting at!)

:lol:

I had to read the post about 3 times just to make sure I hadn't just been reading it wrong.

Haha i'm usually not the one to do this but i'm made up he thought he was going to a better team, and yeah i hope we get maximum points and they dont and we finish higher than them, bale, van the fart, modric etc will go, pienaar will get loaned to fc copenhagen, happy days hahaha

I don't think Pienar really believed that Spurs were a better team.He knew they probably had more money to spend and perhaps could be going forward a tad quicker than us, and that at the time of his transfer stood maybe a much better chance of a top 4 finish than we did.

No I think he left for one reason, more money, didn't he state that if Everton met his wage demands then he wanted to stay with us!

On paper, and on the pitch (we drew with and beat them this season) we are as good a team/squad as Spurs, if injuries hadn't blighted us we WOULD have finished higher than them.

No, Pienaar got what he wanted, a massive pay rise, still doing the job he obviously loves.He always gave Everton 100%, I don't think we could have asked a lot more, players come and players go.

BUT I'll always believe he left for nothing more than money.

surely next season the battle for the places between 4th and 7th will again involve Everton and Spurs, Pienaar will be involved in that battle, just on £20,00 a week more than he was getting at Everton, kinda makes sence, if your not an Evertonian!

I don't think Pienar really believed that Spurs were a better team.He knew they probably had more money to spend and perhaps could be going forward a tad quicker than us, and that at the time of his transfer stood maybe a much better chance of a top 4 finish than we did.

No I think he left for one reason, more money, didn't he state that if Everton met his wage demands then he wanted to stay with us!

On paper, and on the pitch (we drew with and beat them this season) we are as good a team/squad as Spurs, if injuries hadn't blighted us we WOULD have finished higher than them.

No, Pienaar got what he wanted, a massive pay rise, still doing the job he obviously loves.He always gave Everton 100%, I don't think we could have asked a lot more, players come and players go.

BUT I'll always believe he left for nothing more than money.

surely next season the battle for the places between 4th and 7th will again involve Everton and Spurs, Pienaar will be involved in that battle, just on £20,00 a week more than he was getting at Everton, kinda makes sence, if your not an Evertonian!

yes, he'll be gettin an extra 20000 which after tax is 10000, then take account for the dimishing returns of each additional £, that extra 20000 doesnt really outway 1st team football, and i highly doubt he'll be involved much nex year. From this, all i can deduct from pienaar is that he is a money grabbin c*nt and he couldnt give a shit about football. Berbatov took less money to play at the top level with man u, rather than city. Saha took less money to get 1st team football. these are real footballers, and am glad we dont have the money grabber anymore

The thing is, if he left for the money he won't care a jot about anything else. Spurs could go into relegation but he still won't care as he is getting paid the money he craves. In this case it is pointless arguing any further on the matter.

If he left for true footballing reasons he will be broken up about it. And if that is the case I have nothing against him at all.