IGNORED

Shane Long

£10m???

For what? - seriously something needs to be done with player valuations and salaries. £5m at very most. £4m is realistic. You can't tag that sort of money for an unproven prem player, but someone will pay it unfortunately.

His abilities are worth £5m. But you have to consider that Reading do not need to sell at all, the cost of replacing him and the money he could be worth to Reading if he has another season like he did last season and they get promoted. He's easily worth £10m to Reading.

His abilities are worth £5m. But you have to consider that Reading do not need to sell at all, the cost of replacing him and the money he could be worth to Reading if he has another season like he did last season and they get promoted. He's easily worth £10m to Reading.

agree with you on that, but Long is no way a 10m player

He would be worth £40m to reading if you use that theory based on what promotion is worth. Fact is there is a pecking order, they got him from cork and gave him his chance, he can be a £10m player if he proves it at Everton - not in championship. To put into perspective, Yak cost £11m and he was a proven premiership goalscorer. If they got £6m for him then they should be pleased with that, Vaughan cost Norwich £2.5m.

Reality is when someone produces what he does in the championship, they have earned the right to play in the prem. The same applies if someone produces at Everton - then they in theory deserve the chance to play champions league. As tough as it is to accept.

He would be worth £40m to reading if you use that theory based on what promotion is worth. Fact is there is a pecking order, they got him from cork and gave him his chance, he can be a £10m player if he proves it at Everton - not in championship. To put into perspective, Yak cost £11m and he was a proven premiership goalscorer. If they got £6m for him then they should be pleased with that, Vaughan cost Norwich £2.5m.

Reality is when someone produces what he does in the championship, they have earned the right to play in the prem. The same applies if someone produces at Everton - then they in theory deserve the chance to play champions league. As tough as it is to accept.

Vaughan cost £2.5m. The lad hasn't completed a season in his life. He has one of the worst injury records of any player currently player professional football. Shane Long scored nearly twice as many goals last season as Vaughan has in his entire career and you're saying that Long should be a £4m signing? :P

Fact of the matter is that a player's abilities are only one of many factors that determine their fee. We ourselves charge a massive premium on all of our players because of the difficulty we would have replacing them. Shane Long might be a ~£5m player. But he's probably irreplaceable for Reading. If you don't need to sell and you can't replace that player then you slap a massive asking price on the player. If someone is prepared to meet it then you can spend that £10m improving the entire squad, if someone isn't prepared then you keep your star player. If they sell for £4m then they're going to have to spend that trying to replace like for like and a football club can't move forward like that.

Vaughan cost £2.5m. The lad hasn't completed a season in his life. He has one of the worst injury records of any player currently player professional football. Shane Long scored nearly twice as many goals last season as Vaughan has in his entire career and you're saying that Long should be a £4m signing? :P

Fact of the matter is that a player's abilities are only one of many factors that determine their fee. We ourselves charge a massive premium on all of our players because of the difficulty we would have replacing them. Shane Long might be a £5m player. But he's probably irreplaceable for Reading. If you don't need to sell and you can't replace that player then you slap a massive asking price on the player. If someone is prepared to meet it then you can spend that £10m improving the entire squad, if someone isn't prepared then you keep your star player. If they sell for £4m then they're going to have to spend that trying to replace like for like and a football club can't move forward like that.

Vaughan is english, and if he gets over injuries you are looking at 20 goals a season out of him in the championship.

It's the nature of the beast, if you have a player with potential (which is what long has - premiership wise)then you can not charge the premiums that you can for proven players. Darren Bent went for £24m - proven premiership class, england international. Long is unproven and isn't English. The only reason Wickham went for £8m plus was because he is English - no way should Long be sold for more. Chances are he will go for around £5-6m and thats more than fair. You can't add a premium because 'the club may find it difficult to find a replacement' - that's the game we are in. He will no doubt have a sell on fee, and other add ons which may take the value to £8-10m if the potential is realised. Look at the likes of ebanks blake, nugent, cameron jerome, great records in championship - premiership???

Edited by Hafnia

If you will forgive the pun he is a Long way from being a £10M player

In fact he is a million miles away from it. Im with hafnia on this one

The lad has had one decent season in the Championship and thats it.

Didnt he go the entire season without scoring when Reading were last in the Prem?

I would rather we paid £10M off the debt than blow it all on this lad

I think people need to re-read my posts. Nowhere do I advocate we sign Long for £10m.... I simply state that his £10m valuation is more than fair.

Vaughan is english, and if he gets over injuries you are looking at 20 goals a season out of him in the championship.

It's the nature of the beast, if you have a player with potential (which is what long has - premiership wise)then you can not charge the premiums that you can for proven players. Darren Bent went for £24m - proven premiership class, england international. Long is unproven and isn't English. The only reason Wickham went for £8m plus was because he is English - no way should Long be sold for more. Chances are he will go for around £5-6m and thats more than fair. You can't add a premium because 'the club may find it difficult to find a replacement' - that's the game we are in. He will no doubt have a sell on fee, and other add ons which may take the value to £8-10m if the potential is realised. Look at the likes of ebanks blake, nugent, cameron jerome, great records in championship - premiership???

So charging a premium for being English is okay, but charging one because a player is irreplaceable isn't?

Nonsensical argument.

A club can add a premium for whatever they want. Reading hold his contract, they dictate the price. As I said, they don't need to sell. That's the crux of the matter and that's what makes his £10m valuation reasonable. A buying club has to provide an incentive for Reading to sell. Why would Reading sell a £4m striker for £4m? Then they have to spend that £4m to replace him with another £4m striker and leaves them no better off than before.

Edited by Ian C

I think people need to re-read my posts. Nowhere do I advocate we sign Long for £10m.... I simply state that his £10m valuation is more than fair.

but thats the thing, its not fair, to Reading maybe because they don't need to sell, but they will have that whole unhappy player crap going on, id put Long, £5m at the VERY,VERY most, he really is an average player, £10m is just a crazy price for him, i'll have some of what they are smoking if they reckon he is worth that!!

Dont suppose you want to by my house do you?

Its only valued at £230k but I will let you have it for £1M because thats how much the house my Missus wants costs

Yeah and I absolutely love the new Cher Lloyd single.

Oh sorry, I thought we were posting things that have absolutely no relevance to the debate at hand.

EDIT: Actually, I'll bite. Let's say you and your missus are living in your £230k house. You love it. You couldn't be happier and you'd never dream of selling it. Then someone who's wanted your house for ages knocks on your door and says: "Hey, I know you don't want to sell but I'll offer you the £230k the house is worth"

Do you sell? Of course you bloody don't. You like that house and you don't want to move. However, you tell them that you'd consider selling if they offered £300k instead. That way you can buy a house comparable to your old one for £230k and spend the difference on all the other things you wanted. If they don't meet your new valuation then you're happy because you loved your original house anyway and didn't want to move in the first place.

C'mon people, it's not that difficult. A valuation is only as valid as the amount someone is prepared to offer and the amount someone is prepared to accept.

Edited by Ian C

Oh sorry, I thought we were posting things that have absolutely no relevance to the debate at hand.

EDIT: Actually, I'll bite. Let's say you and your missus are living in your £230k house. You love it. You couldn't be happier and you'd never dream of selling it. Then someone who's wanted your house for ages knocks on your door and says: "Hey, I know you don't want to sell but I'll offer you the £230k the house is worth"

Do you sell? Of course you bloody don't. You like that house and you don't want to move. However, you tell them that you'd consider selling if they offered £300k instead. That way you can buy a house comparable to your old one for £230k and spend the difference on all the other things you wanted. If they don't meet your new valuation then you're happy because you loved your original house anyway and didn't want to move in the first place.

C'mon people, it's not that difficult. A valuation is only as valid as the amount someone is prepared to offer and the amount someone is prepared to accept.

So you actually think someone will pay £10m for him? I do not. Strikers aren't rare creatures.

Ok lets play along with that analogy.

I love my house and I dont want to sell, then the said bloke knocks on my door and says "Hey, I know you don't want to sell but I'll offer you the £230k the house is worth"

I say I dont really want to move but if you offer me £300k I will sell . He says no thanks I will only go to £250k. My missus gets wind of it and decides she wants me to take accept the offer and threatens to divorce me and take the kids if I dont

Point being player power is everything in this day and age and if the lad gets unsettled he will leave

The lad has had one good season in the Championship how can he possibly be worth £10M?

This is the same player that has scored 5 goals in 50 appearances in the Prem and 15 goals in 70 appearances in the Championship before last season

Either way its all hypothetical anyway. I dont beleive for one minute that Reading actually value him that highly. Its a bit like when Everton said they wouldnt sell Rooney for a penny less than £50M

They are just trying to get the best possible deal they can, which is fair enough

So you actually think someone will pay £10m for him? I do not. Strikers aren't rare creatures.

Where do I say that? Please, please tell me where.

All I've said so far that if Reading say he's worth £10m to them, then he's worth £10m to them. C'est ça.

Wow, what a thread this one is. Arguing the toss as to why long can not be worth £10m (asking prices, what people are prepared to pay, blah blah) and the elephant in the room is further down, aka nzogbia. Why? We can't even afford a down payment for a class act that we could get, bit we are looking at why a one season wonder from the championship could command just near as much?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...