IGNORED

Wolves (A)

Kohen

20 members have voted

1. 1. Everton will..

I thought Neville was fantastic again, as I've said in the past I think Fellaini is a little overrated, since Neville has gone in there we've had leadership and crucially, mobility. He protects the defence and he covers a lot more ground, we've done a lot better since Fellaini got injured - suspiciously just as we did at the end of last season. I thought we were brilliant (first 15 aside) today, we actually played balls in behind and mixed our play, we broke with pace. Still think Beckford is a little lazy and not up to it to be honest, he's an ok squad player and a decent sub but not good enough to be first choice. A mention for Heintinga as well, his best performance in midfield for me, played some cracking searching passes.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memo for Moyes: All strategy must revolve around giving Bily shooting opportunities.

Did you not see the second half miss :mellow: ?

Superb goal but his overall contribution just ain't good enough sadly.

Good to see Ossie being singled out by Shearer on MOTD....first time is his career I should think.

Good to see Ossie being singled out by Shearer on MOTD....first time is his career I should think.

Odd you should say that Mike, I was thinking very similar thoughts as I watched MOTD. Must have really stuck in Shearer's throat to say that about Ossie. Oh well stuff him, what does he know about football? :lol:

That'll be one for the lads to call him up on for a few weeks ;). I'm sure Osman copped it from his couple last week as well.. Beckford won't be remembering his effort scuffed into the keeper when he was adjudged offside.. spared him his blushes.

Cracking shot from Bily, the boy's got a rocket left foot and we should be given the opportunity to see more of it! :D

That'll be one for the lads to call him up on for a few weeks ;). I'm sure Osman copped it from his couple last week as well.. Beckford won't be remembering his effort scuffed into the keeper when he was adjudged offside.. spared him his blushes.

Cracking shot from Bily, the boy's got a rocket left foot and we should be given the opportunity to see more of it! :D

He has got a great left foot, no question, but I wouldnt have him anywhere near our starting XI

We cant afford to carry him all season just because once in a while he can produce a decent shot

Let's be honest, we were lucky it was wolves we played yesterday, it should have been game over after twenty minutes for us.

None the less more than happy with the 3 points with a dismantled team. Ossies performances since the injury crisis have been heroic, class lad and all evertonians should remember him for being the great team player that he is.

Let's be honest, we were lucky it was wolves we played yesterday, it should have been game over after twenty minutes for us.

None the less more than happy with the 3 points with a dismantled team. Ossies performances since the injury crisis have been heroic, class lad and all evertonians should remember him for being the great team player that he is.

Quite a ridiculous comment considering Howard didn't make a save until the 2nd half when Henry had a shot from distance.

Wolves put a lot of crosses into the box in the 1st 20mins, Distin and Jags dealt with them. Wolves were always going to start quick after a 4-1 loss and being in the dog fight and being at home.

Apart from the 1st 20mins - yesterday was a stroll.

Quite a ridiculous comment considering Howard didn't make a save until the 2nd half when Henry had a shot from distance.

Wolves put a lot of crosses into the box in the 1st 20mins, Distin and Jags dealt with them. Wolves were always going to start quick after a 4-1 loss and being in the dog fight and being at home.

Apart from the 1st 20mins - yesterday was a stroll.

I guess osman headering off the line doesn't count then? It's ok to be under the cosh because the centre halves deal with it? Apathetic appraisal of what was one of the worst periods of football to be seen this season. It was looking to be another Bolton performance till the goal against run of play took the wind out of their sails. You need to able to judge the performance relevant to the opponents, for me yesterday was another Sunderland performance, don't be kidded that we played well.

No it wasn't a great performance, but it was a win.Manchester United are going to win trophies this season without too many great performances!

Wolves were poor, and it was a good job, because we weren't really at our best.We did the job with the tools we had.Three points, bit more experience for some of the new/young lads, no new injuries, a clean sheet, 3 more goals for the goal difference when it comes down to it!!.....bloody happy days.

I thought Neville was fantastic again, as I've said in the past I think Fellaini is a little overrated, since Neville has gone in there we've had leadership and crucially, mobility. He protects the defence and he covers a lot more ground, we've done a lot better since Fellaini got injured - suspiciously just as we did at the end of last season. I thought we were brilliant (first 15 aside) today, we actually played balls in behind and mixed our play, we broke with pace. Still think Beckford is a little lazy and not up to it to be honest, he's an ok squad player and a decent sub but not good enough to be first choice. A mention for Heintinga as well, his best performance in midfield for me, played some cracking searching passes.

I think you are missing the fact that we now have 2 DM's playing and neither of them really venture forward very much. Fellaini was having to do most of the defensive duties himself and for me Heitinga has been the better of the 2 in there.

We just have to get him to shoot from outside the box!

He certainly isnt a winger and I dont think he is robust enough to play centrally. If he sharpened up and worked harder, he could be a decent central midfielder but he has now had more or less 2 seasons and he still looks as lost as when he first came here.

if bily is played it should be behind the striker he has proved he has a beautiful left foot and amazing technique but he shouldn't be played from the off cos he just doesn't get in the game enough..neither winger did yesterday really although gueye makes some nice runs and was unlucky not to score..

beckford has such great movement upfront and if we can knock balls in like ossie did on a regular basis then beckford is gonna score a lot of goals cos he knows where to be..was watchin goals on sunday and simon grayson was talking about him saying he's just one of those players you can't really teach cos he plays all off instinct..and that's what we need upfront..

thought jags and distin were brilliant especially in the first 20 mins when we were gettin it rammed in the box time and time again..hibbert was good i don't think jarvis had the beating of him every time as romey said cos quite often he tackled him and stopped his crosses..baines didn't really do much either end as romey said he was very quiet..heitinga played very well and looked the most comfortable in midfield than he ever has..neville scored a beauty and was solid..was very shocked to see sky sports give him motm though cos he didn't really stand out to me

osman easily star of the show though he was everywhere across the middle and 1 good header away although i think howard or hibbert would have had it anyways..and 1 immense block that any cb would've been proud of..he is looking excellent in the middle and when cahill is back he has to stay there and tim has to fight for that position again..nice to have another option though and hope it has opened moyes' eyes more to the fact that osman is not a winger

Played well yesterday neville with a great strike same as bily vic actually used his strength quite well when he was on vellios was good he will be a good player coming through

Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

What's all this wolves yam yam yam yam yam.

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 PM

LOL

I think you are missing the fact that we now have 2 DM's playing and neither of them really venture forward very much. Fellaini was having to do most of the defensive duties himself and for me Heitinga has been the better of the 2 in there.

Arteta was sitting back with Fellaini (if not deeper than Fellaini) so personally I think that's nonsense especially as no one could question Arteta's workrate. I'd be interested to know exactly what our win/loss ratio is with Fellaini in the team and without Fellaini in the team during these past two seasons. We are now the form team in the premiership, this coincided with Fellaini (and Arteta's injury) and last year we went on a massive unbeaten run around the time Fellaini got injured (and Arteta came back in). Coincidence - or evidence?

hasn't it also coincided with osman moving to the centre? resulting in better forward play and less defensive duties in matches?

I don't think last season's run did. Osman is a good player in CM, I'd have a trio of Neville, Arteta and either Osman or Cahill (depending who's up front). I don't know if anyone noticed but all Osman's best work yesterday came down the wing, it wasn't through the centre. He's a good player when his confidence is up, always has been, he works hard, tackles, can beat a man, can shoot and can create goals. Neville, Osman and Arteta are all mobile and Osman and Arteta are good on the ball and can beat a man/shoot.

I just feel that Fellaini is too slow and that Neville is a very underrated DM.

Arteta was sitting back with Fellaini (if not deeper than Fellaini) so personally I think that's nonsense especially as no one could question Arteta's workrate. I'd be interested to know exactly what our win/loss ratio is with Fellaini in the team and without Fellaini in the team during these past two seasons. We are now the form team in the premiership, this coincided with Fellaini (and Arteta's injury) and last year we went on a massive unbeaten run around the time Fellaini got injured (and Arteta came back in). Coincidence - or evidence?

I think our run of form has coincided with the fact that we have played: wolves, villa, fulham, birmingham, newcastle - hardly the premiership elite at present.

I do think that Osman is the main reason that we have not missed Arteta as much - he retains the ball very well and provides much needed intelligence in his absence.

Without Fellaini we would have no where near as much possesion against the top teams, he single handedly run the midfield against arsenal, chelsea, liverpool. There is no way you can say that we have a better defensive midfielder in our ranks than fellaini. He has been one of the top 7 midfielders this season IMO.

Edited by Hafnia2

out of interest who do you reckon has been better? just curious as you picked an odd number to include him in :D

To be honest was gonna go top 5 but being a Monday i'm feeling fragile and don't want to have to fight my corner!

Better centre midfielders (or certainly in the same bracket) - Nasri, Wilshire, Toure, Modric, Parker, - to be honest that is about it. You can put him in right amongst them.

I was one of his biggest critics, his lack of pace used to annoy me, now I don't see it as a major factor as he positions himself so well. To say Neville or Heitinga is a better option bewilders me. Neville has made standing off a player his trademark.

To be honest was gonna go top 5 but being a Monday i'm feeling fragile and don't want to have to fight my corner!

Better centre midfielders (or certainly in the same bracket) - Nasri, Wilshire, Toure, Modric, Parker, - to be honest that is about it. You can put him in right amongst them.

I was one of his biggest critics, his lack of pace used to annoy me, now I don't see it as a major factor as he positions himself so well. To say Neville or Heitinga is a better option bewilders me. Neville has made standing off a player his trademark.

couldn't disagree with any of those to be honest..to be picky i'd say nasri tends to be more of a winger though :P the rest have been class this season though

i read in paper that neville had to tell moyes beckford was tired and moyes wasn't so happy with his lack of runnin

Edited by marcopaulo

Beckford needs to be very careful - petulence like that is not welcome at our club. This time last year he was two divisions below. He was the lone striker and the expectation is that you work hard.

To be honest I quite like the lad and having a bit of fire in his belly is good. He needs to make it difficult for Moyes to drop him - not easy. We will see if Moyes forgets or not.

I think our run of form has coincided with the fact that we have played: wolves, villa, fulham, birmingham, newcastle - hardly the premiership elite at present.

With Fellaini we lost to Newcastle, drew with Wolves, lost to Villa and drew with Fulham - a total of two points. Without Fellaini we beat Newcastle, Wolves and Fulham and drew with Villa - 10 points so I don't really think that argument stands up.

I don't think anyone can argue that over the past two seasons we have performed consistently better when Fellaini has been injured. When he's played, we've struggled and had to play catch up at the end of the season. I like the guy but I do think he's a little overrated and a luxury we don't really need, sell him for big £'s and get in someone who'll really make a difference - a quality pacy winger/striker.

With Fellaini we lost to Newcastle, drew with Wolves, lost to Villa and drew with Fulham - a total of two points. Without Fellaini we beat Newcastle, Wolves and Fulham and drew with Villa - 10 points so I don't really think that argument stands up.

I don't think anyone can argue that over the past two seasons we have performed consistently better when Fellaini has been injured. When he's played, we've struggled and had to play catch up at the end of the season. I like the guy but I do think he's a little overrated and a luxury we don't really need, sell him for big £'s and get in someone who'll really make a difference - a quality pacy winger/striker.

Re-watch the chelsea (arguably the team with the best midfield in the prem) match, he makes essien and lampard look like a school boys. Best match ive seen in the last 2 years was against city where fellaini absolutely dominated a team from DM. I have no idea how anyone would consider fellaini over-rated, not a team in the world he wouldn't get in to.

Gareth Bale went 24 games without winning a game in a spurs team - 16 of them losses. :unsure:

Last season we were already on a very good run with Fellaini in the team before he got injured. We beat Burnley, City, Sunderland, Wigan and drew Arsenal before he got injured in the Liverpool game.

Arteta may have been sitting back but he isnt a defensive minded player unlike Heitinga & Neville who are 100% defensive. We have 2 people plugging the one gap Fellaini used to do by himself.

Last year we improved greatly because Donovan came in IMO. He might not have been amazing but he gave us an outlet we hadnt had before and when he left we did play half as well, even if we did still pick up points. The reason why we have improved recently imo is because we have a better balance. The midfield might not be world beater but they are very solid and they no and understand their role. When we had Fellaini and Arteta or Heitinga and Arteta the balance was well off because neither looked comfortable playing the roles they were given. Fellaini is an out and out defensive midfielder and can shield the back 4 by himself if he sits just in front of the CB's and when he is played like that he is world class. Very rarely has Fellaini played that exact role this season and for me its no coincidence that its the big games, where he will naturally have to play a little deeper because of the quality of the opposition that he really shines.