IGNORED

England

12 hours ago, johnh said:

Haf, my assessment of him was as our main striker. Apart from the penalty he had only one decent chance which he headed over.  The commentator said that it was just too high for him but the replay showed he misjudged the flight.  Working hard in midfield may be fine with Allardyce but its not what you want from your main striker.  

He only dropped deep when Vardy came on so your reference to him 'working hard in midfield' is nonsense. Before that, he singlehandedly took on what I think is an excellent CB pairing, he stood up to them physically and was superb at holding up the ball when it came into him, riding challenges and providing a pivot for play to evolve around him. Centre forward play is not all about playing on the shoulder and shots on goal, it wasnt that kind of game. You could flip it over and say Falcao was crap because he hardly got a sniff. The game descended almost literally into a scrap in midfield because Colombia didn't fancy beating us playing football, i couldn't see many teams creating a hatful of chances the way they played. 

9 hours ago, Finn balor said:

Can’t get how people can’t see how good Kane was last night. Everything stuck to him. The so call chance he missed first half that he “misjudged” is an embarrassing comment. U cannot predict with a 100% conviction where your team mate is crossing the ball to!! To say he dropped deep and never led the line in the second half is puzzling aswell. The lad was playing that way under instruction. Did you not notice that Ali, sterling and lindergard were piss poor and he was on scraps?

How were they piss poor? They worked their bollox off in a really tough, physical game. That's not really a game suited to anyone, but they pressed hard, stayed disciplined and put a foot in where needed against a very physical team. Or do you think Henderson handled all that himself? The game changed when Dier came on, he was awful, before that we had dominated possession. Dier is just not up to international football, and got lucky with his pen too. 

12 hours ago, johnh said:

Haf, my assessment of him was as our main striker. Apart from the penalty he had only one decent chance which he headed over.  The commentator said that it was just too high for him but the replay showed he misjudged the flight.  Working hard in midfield may be fine with Allardyce but its not what you want from your main striker.  

I've always liked a striker that does a bit of the hard yards.   He was almost a decoy to benefit lingaard alli and sterling who I thought were all poor. 

1 hour ago, nogs said:

How were they piss poor? They worked their bollox off in a really tough, physical game. That's not really a game suited to anyone, but they pressed hard, stayed disciplined and put a foot in where needed against a very physical team. Or do you think Henderson handled all that himself? The game changed when Dier came on, he was awful, before that we had dominated possession. Dier is just not up to international football, and got lucky with his pen too. 

Agree on Dier I've said previously he has nigh on zero influence on a game (bar the winning pen) sideways and backwards negative football is all I see from the lad 

On the others though they were well below par especially Ali he's done very little all tournament probably the most underwhelming player for us so far, Lingard and especially Sterling their touches let them both down massively bar that the work rate and movement was there  

19 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Agree on Dier I've said previously he has nigh on zero influence on a game (bar the winning pen) sideways and backwards negative football is all I see from the lad 

On the others though they were well below par especially Ali he's done very little all tournament probably the most underwhelming player for us so far, Lingard and especially Sterling their touches let them both down massively bar that the work rate and movement was there  

Ali doesn't look fit to be fair. I just think it was a tough game for them all, everything was tight and physical, they had little room to work with but battled hard. 

But let's face it, this team isn'ttt the finished article, it's a series of compromises. Southgate prioritises a back 3 with Walker because all our CBs lack pace. That means he more or less has to play two up top and we haven't got anyone who would naturally play off Kane. I'd rather see a front 3 with Rashford and Sterling wide to use their pace, but we haven't got the midfield to do that. Ali and Lingard are too similar, we're really short of a proper ball playing CM who can do the dirty stuff and dictate play. 

Sweden will be organised but not as out and out physical as Columbia. I expect we'll look better on the ball as a result. 

3 minutes ago, nogs said:

Ali doesn't look fit to be fair. I just think it was a tough game for them all, everything was tight and physical, they had little room to work with but battled hard. 

But let's face it, this team isn'tttt the finished article, it's a series of compromises. Southgate prioritises a back 3 with Walker because all our CBs lack pace. That means he more or less has to play two up top and we haven't got anyone who would naturally play off Kane. I'd rather see a front 3 with Rashford and Sterling wide to use their pace, but we haven't got the midfield to do that. Ali and Lingard are too similar, we're really short of a proper ball playing CM who can do the dirty stuff and dictate play. 

Sweden will be organised but not as out and out physical as Columbia. I expect we'll look better on the ball as a result. 

Fully agree with all that Nogs we are a project 

I said the other day at work (watching the game) I'd rather Rashford Kane Vardy make a front three as I think Lingard is better as an impact man and Sterling has been below par for the most part 

The good thing pending Vardy's injury is we have options which is always a great thing, we'll agree Dier shouldn't be there nor should Delph imo I'd have rather taken Milner if you want an older utility man 

5 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

I said the other day at work (watching the game) I'd rather Rashford Kane Vardy make a front three as I think Lingard is better as an impact man and Sterling has been below par for the most part 

The good thing pending Vardy's injury is we have options which is always a great thing, we'll agree Dier shouldn't be there nor should Delph imo I'd have rather taken Milner if you want an older utility man 

Yeah Milner missed out on the youth policy I reckon. 

5 hours ago, nogs said:

But let's face it, this team isn'tttt the finished article, it's a series of compromises. Southgate prioritises a back 3 with Walker because all our CBs lack pace. That means he more or less has to play two up top and we haven't got anyone who would naturally play off Kane. I'd rather see a front 3 with Rashford and Sterling wide to use their pace, but we haven't got the midfield to do that. Ali and Lingard are too similar, we're really short of a proper ball playing CM who can do the dirty stuff and dictate play. 

Then why is he playing?

6 hours ago, nogs said:

Yeah Milner missed out on the youth policy I reckon. 

I thought he retired from International footy?

6 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

I prefer the trio of Alli/Lingard/Loftus Cheek in those positions because they drag the opposition midfield all over the place, create much more space for those up front and also help the back 5 and Henderson with passing angles. I didnt see a whole lot of the Colombia game that clearly so I am not sure how that went, but the combination Southgate is using in midfield is very fluid and attacking. This means its all well and good against teams we should beat but Lingard isnt exactly a physical player and both Loftus Cheek and Alli lack a little defensively at times, but with a back 5 and Henderson behind them it should be too damaging. Sterling adds to the movement and over the top threat whilst also being a better footballer than the other two (Rashford debatable), he also does a fair amount of defenaive work so playing the three you have mentioned would lose some of that threat from deep midfield runs, you miss a bit of control in midfield and Vardy only has over the top threat whilst Rashford has only really shown that he can get himself into goalscoring positions without really playing in teammates. Sterling is clearly far better than he has shown so far in this tournament, his impact with the ball has been really poor but his off the ball work has been good. Ultimately is the first bit doesnt start happening for him, someone else will need a chance to do the important bit of getting the ball into the back of the net.

I agree about Dier and Delph. Dier isnt the same player as the one at Spurs however as we know only too well, 2 DMs can stifle eachother, especially one as "basic" as Dier so he will probably look even worse alongside Henderson.

42 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I thought he retired from International footy?

I prefer the trio of Alli/Lingard/Loftus Cheek in those positions because they drag the opposition midfield all over the place, create much more space for those up front and also help the back 5 and Henderson with passing angles. I didnt see a whole lot of the Colombia game that clearly so I am not sure how that went, but the combination Southgate is using in midfield is very fluid and attacking. This means its all well and good against teams we should beat but Lingard isnt exactly a physical player and both Loftus Cheek and Alli lack a little defensively at times, but with a back 5 and Henderson behind them it should be too damaging. Sterling adds to the movement and over the top threat whilst also being a better footballer than the other two (Rashford debatable), he also does a fair amount of defenaive work so playing the three you have mentioned would lose some of that threat from deep midfield runs, you miss a bit of control in midfield and Vardy only has over the top threat whilst Rashford has only really shown that he can get himself into goalscoring positions without really playing in teammates. Sterling is clearly far better than he has shown so far in this tournament, his impact with the ball has been really poor but his off the ball work has been good. Ultimately is the first bit doesnt start happening for him, someone else will need a chance to do the important bit of getting the ball into the back of the net.

I agree about Dier and Delph. Dier isnt the same player as the one at Spurs however as we know only too well, 2 DMs can stifle eachother, especially one as "basic" as Dier so he will probably look even worse alongside Henderson.

They usually do but Ali has been very ominous this tournament and I don't think that trio you mentioned has actually played in the same side have they? 

Loftus-Cheek and Ali are like for like position wise in our set up so I can't see it working he has to be central 

Ali and Sterling have both been off the pace could be injuries etc but I'd prefer to see Loftus-Cheek and Rashford in for those two I think Cheek will be physically a better option as it's likely to be a dogged defensive Sweden we meet 

As said options either way and non are bad players 

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

Our midfield is weak with Alli (awful) and Lingard together.  As much as I hate to say it, Henderson is holding the midfield together. We should be 2 or 3 up with the chances we've had.

I agree, Alli is the one glaring weak link thus far.