IGNORED

Moyes on 5 live

Louis

Transcript from Match of the Day's half time interview:

Gary Lineker: I must take advantage, I've been besieged today on Twitter with tweets from fans of both Everton and Tottenham. There's a lot of interest in whether Tottenham have made any sort of approach to Everton for your services. What is the situation?

David Moyes: No, as far as I am concerned, it is all speculation. I've had no contact, if I did have, the first person I would tell would be my chairman, I have a great relationship with him.

Gary Lineker: If it did happen, and you had told first person - the chairman, would you be interested in Tottenham David?

David Moyes: I'm ambitious and I want to try and win things, I want to do that at Everton. We got three players in, in January, you could see the difference it made to the club, to the players, to myself. We want to try and do that again.

Gary Lineker: Does that say to me, that if that were the situation you go to the chairman and say "You know, I need money Everton, if I am to compete. and Tottenham have got it"

David Moyes: I told my chairman that four weeks ago! We want to kick on again and we want to do well. But for me really, my concentration is on getting Everton ready for the start of the season and hopefully getting off to a better one than we've had in recent years.

Gary Lineker: Everton is a great club, you've been there a long time. You've done an unbelievable job. Fans are very nervous, but at this stage you can't...

David Moyes: I tell people straight as it is, I've had no contact, the club has had no contact. I'm an Everton manager.

Gary Lineker: Would a fresh challenge appeal at some stage in your career?

David Moyes: I've always been loyal and I will continue to be loyal to Everton. As long as they want me, I am happy there. As I say, I'm ambitious and the players at Everton are ambitious and they want me to keep pushing the club forwards.

Gary Lineker: Do you get a sense from Everton that their ambition matches yours?

David Moyes: I do, because as you know Gary - you've been there yourself and played there; Everton is a massive club in this country. We've found it hard to compete, we've got to big semi-finals and finals and have just fallen a bit short. We've certainly.. with what we've got and the players we've got, we are in there competing, we are in there doing the best we can and we continue to do that.

Alan Shearer: I know that each manager in the Premier League sort of, watches each others backs, have you been in touch with Harry to tell him how sorry you are with what's happened?

David Moyes: No, I've tried to speak to Harry, because you know, I feel for him because I think he's been..well.. I feel the situation is tough on Harry, it really is. You never know the ins and outs at what's happening at each club and what's happened behind the scenes but Harry got to the semi-final of a cup, he got to the Champions League. I said last year, I'd have paid to watch Tottenham. They were an excellent side to watch.

Gary Lineker: I don't want to embarass you Alan, but he [David Moyes] would be a great choice for Spurs wouldn't he?

Alan Shearer: When you look at the job he has done at Everton, and the net spend over the period that he has been there, it's incredible how much they have achieved over the years. So whenever a big job comes available it's no surprise that he is linked.

Gary Lineker: The rumour at the moment is that AVB is the big favourite. Do you see that as a fit?

Alan Shearer: When you look at what happened at Chelsea, you know what happens, players speak to each other all the time, whether it be on the telephone, twitter or whatever, t. here's contact between the players.It's widely known that he [AVB] didn't have a great relationship with the players at Chelsea. I'd be amazed really if that were to happen.

Gary Lineker: Do you think Bill Kenwright would give you permission to speak to Spurs if there was an approach?

David Moyes: Well I, we're not there. It's hypothetical. I can't say that. But what I think is good to see, is a lot of young British managers getting opportunities of the big jobs. It's great see Brendan Rogers, Paul Lambert, Chris Hughton getting good jobs, let's hope that continues.

Gary Lineker: Whatever happens, we wish you all the best whereever you are next season.

Moyes is just a good honest man, I've got so much respect for the way he conducts himself and for the loyalty he's shown to us. Should a club ask and he wish to talk to them then it wouldn't change my opinion - yes he's not won a thing but in my lifetime he's been one of the most significant figures, if not the most significant.

Very cleverly done by Moyes. Says all the right things without ruling himself out of the running for the job.

Arguably he did:

Gary Lineker: If it did happen, and you had told first person - the chairman, would you be interested in Tottenham David?

David Moyes: I'm ambitious and I want to try and win things, I want to do that at Everton.

He then went on to suggest that Redknapp was harshly treated by Daniel Levy at Spurs.. that seems to be ruling it out.

Dignified responses I thought. That's why it takes a particular sort of person to manage EFC. Respect to and from the press. I don't want to lose him but was he suggesting a young British manager for us if he did?

Agree get rid of Lineker and his cosy bunch of overpaid cronies on MOTD. It's a tired format and needs a fresh approach IMO.

Edited by Gwlad all over

Moyes loves Everton, he wants to stay, he wants to win things here, he probably has as much chance of that happening here as at Spurs.Everton are bigger than Tottenham, I'm sorry Gary, but that's just about it.....let it drop!

One day Moyes will leave, I hope your making a crisp advert and are the last person to know.

You scored a lot of goals for Everton in one season, thanks for that.....now shut updry.png

Edited by Blue 250

Arguably he did:

David Moyes: I'm ambitious and I want to try and win things, I want to do that at Everton.

He then went on to suggest that Redknapp was harshly treated by Daniel Levy at Spurs.. that seems to be ruling it out.

He looked like he was about to say Spurs treated him badly, then held back.

Was very non committal to me, but held up well.

Moyes loves Everton, he wants to stay, he wants to win things here, he probably has as much chance of that happening here as at Spurs.Everton are bigger than Tottenham, I'm sorry Gary, but that's just about it.....let it drop!

One day Moyes will leave, I hope your making a crisp advert and are the last person to know.

You scored a lot of goals for Everton in one season, thanks for that.....now shut updry.png

If Gary is paid to ask questions he has to ask them, he did the same thing to Redknapp about the England job. Its what hes paid to do for god sake.

If Gary is paid to ask questions he has to ask them, he did the same thing to Redknapp about the England job. Its what hes paid to do for god sake.

So he's paid to ask questions, Moyes was hardly going to come out and say," yes I wanted the Spurs job, Everton have no money, the chairman is a tightwad ", he made it obvious he wasn't about to be drawn in, he stated he wanted to win things at Everton...but still Lineker tries to twist things......so he did the same to Redknapp, who gives a fuck.

So he was only doing his job, bit like the gutter press, that's what they do, push people, twist things......just doing their jobs!Yeh that makes it ok thenrolleyes.gif

Jesus, I hope you never used to watch Parkinson!

Heaven forbid an interviewer to make things a little uneasy

I've watched Parkinson, and see many a guest easily avoid questions and run rings around him.I never really saw him as a ruthless interviewer, he even got stuffed by a big birdlaugh.png .

Lineker was being paid as a football pundit/expert etc, I'm sure Moyes didn't go on expecting to be interviewed.Maybe your right and Moyes should have expected some searching questions?...I don't think it was the time or place.

Even Dalglish got a hard ride from so called 'interviewers', they set out to trap and piss him off.....pointless! he was quite adept at making himself look a fool.They shoud have just left him alone, he was doing a great job!

I've watched Parkinson, and see many a guest easily avoid questions and run rings around him.I never really saw him as a ruthless interviewer, he even got stuffed by a big birdlaugh.png .

Lineker was being paid as a football pundit/expert etc, I'm sure Moyes didn't go on expecting to be interviewed.Maybe your right and Moyes should have expected some searching questions?...I don't think it was the time or place.

Even Dalglish got a hard ride from so called 'interviewers', they set out to trap and piss him off.....pointless! he was quite adept at making himself look a fool.They shoud have just left him alone, he was doing a great job!

Lineker just says what he is told, he's not a pundit he's a sell-out. Even when he's asking the questions he knows he comes across as stupid. Hence Moyes replying the Gary knows what its like at Everton, a snipe at him playing for both and knowing which is the better club.

Guarantee DM was asked if he'd be willing to answer the Spurs question....he was a paid guest expert, not an MP on Newsnight, so if he'd not agreed to it it wouldn't have happened.

This.

I'd be surprised if he hadn't been told the questions in advance so he could think about his answers.