IGNORED

The "I met a footballer the other day" thread

Hafnia

I'm sure we have met and do meet them from time to time. I'll start this as a big name dropping thread.

Anyway, met Derek Mountfield yesterday - top man, a big unit who clearly still looks after himself. Told him he stopped me from crying versus Ipswich Town with his last gasp equaliser - awesome goalscoring centre half and a winner.

He was doing a presentation in a charity day, very generous with his time and an overall good egg.

Nope, tried my best to remember to get in a quip about his tash. The words I used were, "Derek, i'm a bit upset, I had visions of you still

with a glorious tash, it was as iconic as Paul Wilkinsons mullet" to which he replied, "it's in a box mext to my bed"

It's not my intention to get punched by a footballer, but I tried to get a rise out of Dennis Wise on my honeymoon by telling him when discussing Joey Barton "you can't talk Dennis, didn't you bite a players armpit once"...

Not "the other day" but I used to work about half a mile from Plough Lane and bumped into Wimbledon players regularly in the pub. Alan Cork was a nice bloke, as was Bobby Gould (who used to go a local wine bar owned by a mate of mine).

Vinny Jones was (unsurprisingly) a total knob....archetypal "I am!" character surrounded by sycophantic hangers on.

Not "the other day" but I used to work about half a mile from Plough Lane and bumped into Wimbledon players regularly in the pub. Alan Cork was a nice bloke, as was Bobby Gould (who used to go a local wine bar owned by a mate of mine).

Vinny Jones was (unsurprisingly) a total knob....archetypal "I am!" character surrounded by sycophantic hangers on.

Bobby Gould, he was in Barbados when I was there. Ironically I met and became quite pally with the brother of Gary Blissett - he was a Wimbledon player who played for them in the match where Graham Stuart saved us from the drop.

I did ask him "did any of the players take a bung for that game?" - he said hand on heart his brother knew nothing about anything along those lines and wouldn't believe any of his team mates would do such a thing. I think the only ones who would know in my opinion was Fash and Segers.

He did say that the money in the game even by Wimbledons standards was unreal - he said it must be very difficult for young lads with all that money to cope with.

Used to play football with Nick Powell (United) :lol: He was a shite 11 year old footballer....look at him now. He was in the 'bab house in town the other evening, acting all..."twatish"....suprised he came out like that considering his two brothers are the most humble people on the planet.

Guest blueboy122

I sat next to Louis Saha on the plane to the south of france once. It was actually the day after the Malaga freindly at goodison. He was such a nice bloke, funnily enough it was his birthday the day I met him so I wished him happy birthday as well, he sort of looked at me as if I had been stalking him, so he asked how did I know it was his birthday? Funny story really because it was the season when he changed his number to 8 and it was on the website why he had changed his number due to its his birthday month and birthday date so I read this a few weeks prior to meeting him and suddenly remembered. We had a good laugh about it as the initial reaction was "weirdo stalker". He was a top top bloke very interested in me and what I did and what my sisters did (they were also sitting with me ) He was speaking French with my sister who was almost fluent at the time. He even invited us to his house for his birthday celebrations and gave us his french house number to ring if we wanted to attend. Obviously we never went, due to him being with family etc. Had a great chat with him about Everton and the other clubs he has been to etc. Can not speak highly enough of the bloke.

Few points he mentioned that I can remember where that Newcastle had the worst fans of all the clubs he had been to, because they were so fickle and told me they used to beat down all the players when they were on a bad run etc by booing them, calling them names etc etc. And the pre season at Everton is the hardest he has ever endured at any club by quite some distance!

Guest blueboy122

Used to play football with Nick Powell (United) :lol: He was a shite 11 year old footballer....look at him now. He was in the 'bab house in town the other evening, acting all..."twatish"....suprised he came out like that considering his two brothers are the most humble people on the planet.

You can hardly blame the young ones who make it pro. He is about to be filled full of money fame girls cars watches holidays etc. Would be so hard to keep your feet on the ground. Thats why I admire the ones who do so much, Baines, Osman, Hibbert etc.

Good thread this if I do say so myself.

Often see John Ebbrell - in fact he was in the curry house the other night, he's a proper nice fella, told me stories about Big Nev and his brutal training regime, quite a strong personality by all accounts, I think he was the top dog around the place.

Mate of mine was at Everton as a youth - keeper, played in same year as Cadamarteri, he said they went over to watch southall and kearton training to which he shouted at them "what are you lot looking at, get on your feet and get working", to which he punished them for the best part of an hour giving them a lesson in how to train to be the best. Very intimidating by all accounts - but he didn't mess about when it came to his profession.

I actually played against Big Nev a few years ago in a sunday league kickabout in kent. I heard he was playing in advance because he lives/lived in the same town as me and I knew he had been known to turn out for a team in our sunday league.

I was born in '81 so grew up idolising him and the thought of playing against and hopefully SCORING against him was like a wet dream!

Turned up on the day with my shooting boots on and he played MIDFIELD!

So never did get to fulfil the childhood dream and test the Mighty Neville Southall but I bought him a beer anyway.

Edited by BlueBlood81

I used to go in a box at Wolves as a kid as guest of John Richards (best mates dad was guest - I was more of a tag along). Robert Plant would go too (I was oblivious).

I once did a birthday party for the son of Alpay - tipped me and 9 other staff members £20 each.

Best of all though was I sung Christmas carols to Carlton Palmer (he was only wearing red boxing shorts) and he gave me £5!

Never actually spoken to any player properly (may have said a few words to some City and Bolton players when working as a wine waiter). Feeling left out so heres my not so big claims to fame.

Cantona and his wife awkwardly brushed passed me and a few friends in Didsbury on a narrow street.

My mate pointed out Michael Brown at the airport, I didnt look because, on the lines of "So, he's not a footballer all he does is kick people. The twat!". My mate started laughing, as Brown was right behind me.

Served Carragher and a few other players icecream.

Took down Gary Nevilles wedding marquee.

You always see players in the Trafford Centre or Didsbury's cinema (Alex Ferguson goes there as well) if anyone fancies a bit of stalking.

McFadden used to live about 5 mins from me, used to pass his house on the way to school everyday, my Dad stopped and talked to him a few times. We knocked on once to ask for a kick around, but his misses answered and said he was away with Scotland laugh.png A few of my mates have said that Rodellega and El Habsi live near by as well, though i've never seen them. Oh and i saw David Weir driving home couple of weeks ago, i was stopped at some lights and looked like he had just come out of the train station.

Edited by GoodisonRoad

I actually played against Big Nev a few years ago in a sunday league kickabout in kent. I heard he was playing in advance because he lives/lived in the same town as me and I knew he had been known to turn out for a team in our sunday league.

I was born in '81 so grew up idolising him and the thought of playing against and hopefully SCORING against him was like a wet dream!

Turned up on the day with my shooting boots on and he played MIDFIELD!

So never did get to fulfil the childhood dream and test the Mighty Neville Southall but I bought him a beer anyway.

Where abouts in Kent? I grew up there. (Headcorn, Ashford and Cranbrook)

diouf lives near my mum and dad in chorley..and the whole bolton team went to the same gym that i did when i lived there..diouf is actually one of the kindest and most generous men you will ever meet believe it or not..seems to have a dickhead switch when he goes on the pitch though

i know david unsworth as we lived near his parents and my sister went to school with him(same school as me) and my dad reffed him when he was about 12..still calls him ref whenever he sees him..absolutely top bloke..my dad told the competition he was reffin to fuck off cos they sent david off for nothing and he didn't get to play the rest of the tournament...my dad just told them to shove it up their arse..got a fine that he never paid and it apparently doubles every week you don't pay it...my dad owes them millions now :lol:

met big dunc a few times as i sent him a letter when he was in prison and he invited me along to training..fantastic man..say what you want about him on the pitch but off it he is a great guy

I used to have an occassional beer with Brian Labone in the Pig and Whistle. Had a few drinks with Mick Lyons some years back. And I bumped into Andy King coming out of a den of ill repute a long time ago. He asked me for directions to the city centre.

On the down side I have met Ian Callaghan and Alun Evans

Fortunately I have yet to bump into thet former Liverpool goalie I told you about previously. Don't want to go inside for the violent putting down of a knob with a knob.

Edited by Rubecula

Had a few beers watching the derby with Mark Wright in my local (when Mick Madar was playing) game finished 1-1 (ferguson scored) - he's a top fella to be fair. Had some serious banter with him while the match was going on, arguing about decisions, he looks like he's got a temper! But in fairness he was pretty down to earth and spoke about players he respected.

He said Van Basten was by far the best player he's marked, he found he always played well against Shearer but hated marking Ferguson due to the fact that you came off the pitch battered and bruised. He was pestered into having an arm wrestle a couple of years earlier by a lad who lets stella get the better of him, he snapped the lads forearm! - he was a rugby player too. Total accident but indicated that he was a strong lad.

Good thread this if I do say so myself.

doh.gif Love Everton FC and respect every player that's ever worn a blue shirt, but they are only normal people!

A nurse working a 12 hour shift, saving lives on shit money, now that's a hero!

I've met a couple of Blues, they are paid bloody good money for doing something we'd all love to do and I know a lad who cuts people out of crashed cars and enters burnning buildings, his job as a fireman pays not much above the average wage.

Hafnia, your sounding like a ten year oldwink.png

doh.gif Love Everton FC and respect every player that's ever worn a blue shirt, but they are only normal people!

A nurse working a 12 hour shift, saving lives on shit money, now that's a hero!

I kind of think that the whole point of the thread is that they are normal people.....has any player been described as a hero?

If you want to start a, "I met a nurse/fireman the other day..." thread then go for itsmile.png . Probably a bit minority interest though.

I kind of think that the whole point of the thread is that they are normal people.....has any player been described as a hero?

If you want to start a, "I met a nurse/fireman the other day..." thread then go for itsmile.png . Probably a bit minority interest though.

I'm with a nurse, so not only have I met one but sometimes I hang out the back of one.