IGNORED

Kevin Mirallas

Hafnia

Looks decent in the video but some of the defending is awful! I could see him doing a job here but part of me thinks that the defenders over here would snuff him out of games by not allowing him any space or time on the ball, much like he did in the friendly against England.

Does anyone know if he has played against an English club in the CL?

I think he was quiet in the friendly against England because England sat back so deep and Belgium didn't have a target to play off up front (with lightweight winger Hazard as the main striker) and so we lacked any depth in our game. I don't think it was because English defenders were harrassing so closely at all because they simply weren't pressing him. Besides, it's not like the English league is known for it's great defending, is it?

I think Mirallas could be very good for us. On the counter attack as well.

Get him and johnson on the wings, let pienaar play through the middle or in a free role.

I like the idea of Pienaar playing in the middle. I think he did so really well at the end of last season (against Sunderland was it?) and I believe he has all the attributes to be a very good player for us in that position. I'd hope to bring another real striker in as well though, perhaps Mirallas, Johnson and a striker might be a bit too costly. I could live with Naismith on the right, Mirallas on the left and Pienaar in behind Jelavic though if we get someone who could fill in for Jelavic without the side losing too much quality.

Edited by Steve_E

I think he was quiet in the friendly against England because England sat back so deep and Belgium didn't have a target to play off up front (with lightweight winger Hazard as the main striker) and so we lacked any depth in our game. I don't think it was because English defenders were harrassing so closely at all because they simply weren't pressing him. Besides, it's not like the English league is known for it's great defending, is it?

I think Mirallas could be very good for us. On the counter attack as well.

They might not have been on top of him, but they didnt really give him any options to do anything with the ball, which is generally what we are quite good at over here and its why a lot of brilliant European strikers fail to fire on these shores or against English teams in the CL. Abroad, they sit back, back off and give the opposition player time and space to get the ball under control and get their head up. Over here, you simply dont get as much time to do that and he looks the type of player that might need that time & space.

On the other hand he does seem fairly reminiscent of Ronaldo in the way he plays and he didnt do too badly tongue.png

I do agree that he definitely looks to be the ideal counter attacking player!

Hello Toffees,

I'm a Belgian Premier League fan and I read this topic and felt the need to enlighten some of you on a few things.

Mirallas simply played a bad game against England. There is no other reason, I know how he performs when he's good and he simply had a bad day.

A few months prior to that game, Belgium played against France in a friendly in Paris. The Belgian manager made the mistake of putting Vossen as the striker in his formation. Belgium couldn't break through France's defence and France couldn't break through the Belgian defence. However halfway through the second half, Vossen was replaced by Mirallas and it changed the game completely. The Belgians finally managed to break through the French defence, as Mirallas ripped the right flank apart. He came very close to scoring, but the French goalkeeper did 2 absolutely stunning saves, and so the game ended at 0-0.

One of the main differences between the two games was that the pace of the game was a lot higher in the France game. The higher the tempo, the better he seems to perform. That is my only concern with Everton, cause they may play a bit stealthily, compared to for instance teams like Arsenal, Tottenham or Man City. In a closed game, with a slow tempo, the defence of the opponent will be too much in control and that's not Kevin's cup of tea.

EIither way, good luck for next season, toffees.

I wasn't even aware we had signed this player (for reasons I don't need to elaborate on), but by god, quite a fair number of players coming in now, after some recent close seasons of little activity. I didn't know anything about this player until today, but had a decent ratio for goals to games in Greece, but isn't the most prolific at International level. Too early to say obviously, but maybe he could be a success at Goodison, another striking option is always welcome. A little enthusiastic about todays signing.

No player seems to be performing well in the Belgian national team. They never qualify for anything, but they do have Kompany, Vermaelen, Lukaku, Hazard, Mirallas, Fellaini, Dembélé, Vertonghen, Van Buyten, De Bruyne etc. It's not a reference.

I wasn't even aware we had signed this player (for reasons I don't need to elaborate on), but by god, quite a fair number of players coming in now, after some recent close seasons of little activity. I didn't know anything about this player until today, but had a decent ratio for goals to games in Greece, but isn't the most prolific at International level. Too early to say obviously, but maybe he could be a success at Goodison, another striking option is always welcome. A little enthusiastic about todays signing.

Edited by Mirallas

? He havent been signed yet. Not sure is even the offer accepted. Some sources say so, and that medical should be tomorrow, but we will see.

? He havent been signed yet. Not sure is even the offer accepted. Some sources say so, and that medical should be tomorrow, but we will see.

I read somewhere that he had a release clause between £5.5-6 m? Maybe that's why they're saying that the fee has been "agreed"?

I read somewhere that he had a release clause between £5.5-6 m? Maybe that's why they're saying that the fee has been "agreed"?

Thats possible, havent seen that mentioned by myself.

I am lead to believe that Mirallas is now an Everton player. Some will turn up their noses and berate it until the day is long, but that's about the size of it. Take it or leave it. Even Wikipedia, which is a reliable enough source, has recognized this.

Anyone and everyone can edit Wikipedia....it's about as reliable in these matters as a ouija board.

Until it's announced on the official site it's still rumour.

Mirallas is playing for Belgium right now against the Netherlands. Benteke scored the 1-0 for Belgium a minute ago, Mirallas gave the assist. smile.png If you want to check out Mirallas, you can watch the game. It's a good game.

Yet to see him on the ball, been all the Netherlands since I put it on :(