IGNORED

WBA (away) 01.09.12

c1982

Not exactly what we were hoping for, but Im not sure if I agree with a lot of the comments.

First half we started quite slow (or not as quick as we have been so far) and West Brom did a very good job of stopping our main players from getting a grip on the game. Felli was surrounded whenever the ball came near him and when West Brom had possession they made a conscious effort to keep it away he. He did his job of marking the West Brom player (one of Yacub or Mulumbu) but if they dont play the ball near him there isnt much he can do about it. He was still involved in all of our best play. One thing I didnt get is why our long balls were always aimed at Jelavic. Every fricking time. We didnt control the midfield very well because we didnt use them as we should have. The defence wasnt looking too clever with Distin on another planet and when Gibson went off, we had Neville further stiffling the midfield and Hibbert absolutely all over the place. His positioning at times was schoolboy stuff and his crossing barely beat the first man. In terms of chances created Jelavic should have scored one of his headers and Felli should have hit the target with his.

Second half started the same, no real drive, lack of pace and West Brom stopping us from playing. Again the likes of Felli, Baines & Pienaar were involved in our best play. When we took Naismith off, we started to creak even more. Felli seemed to drop deeper, but both Neville and Osman were still in the middle. I dont think anyone really knew what they were doing. Distin was again sleeping for their goal, but so was Hibbert giving the attacker too much room. From then on we looked truly awful. Mirallas looked lively but we couldnt keep possession enough to bring him or Jelavic into the game. It was at this point that Felli's effort fell off a cliff. Which was the same as the previous two games if I am honest. Osman was still running his arse off and you could see his frustration with his team mates. The second goal was part awful marking and part awful keeping. Both players should have done better. Im not sure Vic even touched the ball when he came on.

Overall I dont think it was too bad, at least until they scored. I certainly dont think we missed Gibson as much as some people have tried to make out, Osman more than made up for his absence. The problem was that we didnt hold the ball up well enough to bring the midfielders into play. The clever balls we played into Fellaini against Utd, were nowhere to be seen. If we played long balls they went from back to front and they even bypassed Felli and went straight to Jelavic. That should never have been the plan against such a big strong defence like West Brom's. We needed to be incisive and clever. The subs did nothing for us whatsoever. Neville was poor but Hibbert was just as bad. The second half sub was the killer IMO, we went to pieces after that. Felli doesnt look comfortable dropping deeper after playing alongside the striker. Him, Neville and Osman didnt know what they were doing, and in turn West Brom began to dominate and scored. The last sub made us even weaker because we really were all over the place then. No cohesion, no understanding. I applaud Moyes for actually bringing on players who can make a difference and actually bringing them on before the 89th minute BUT there has to be some structure. You cant just throw players on, move other players around and hope for the best. We still need to play the ball through midfield and we still need to get the ball into feet (or chest in Felli's case).

This game should have told Moyes that he needs to work on his plan B. We werent quite at the races as we have been but we still had some very good opportunities and for 60 minutes there was very little between the sides, which speaks volumes for us because West Brom played very well. Moyes went to win this game, which is significant for me and something I wouldnt have imagined him doing this time last year. There are still plenty of positive signs for me, maybe just slightly clouded by the usual negatives.

I also dont think any of our subs helped.

Disappointed about the outcome obviously, and a bit of a surprise as I genuinely believed a result was there to be had yesterday before time. People were right to feel apprehensive about this fixture, I have to give credit to the opposition, they were a better side than I first imagined. Even above us in league status after three fixtures. I took them too lightly, wrongfully believed we had more than the capabilities to take care of this opposition. The departure of Gibson seemed to take effect as the team never really recovered sufficiently, It seems the kid is truly more valuable to us then I could have imagined, seems a much better team player than I gave him credit for. Fellaini missed an opportunity to put us ahead, and if that had gone in, could have been a different day, but the team certainly didn't provide as well as what we have seen thus far. Two outstanding results in the league and one league cup fixture, but a bit of a wake up call yesterday. Despite our shortcomings and not as efficient as before, I take this opportunity to give credit once again to the opposition. Three outstanding results for the midlanders and they'll surely be free of any relegation concerns this year.

Maybe it's not that bad that we lost this game. Obviously I would have rather won it, but perhaps some of our players and fans were beginning to believe the hype. While it's nice to hear good things about Everton in the media (like we could get Champions League etc), we aren't as great as we were hyped to be and a lot of other teams (Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea, Fulham, WBA and the likes) aren't as average as some of our fans and perhaps even players seem to think. If we are going to do well this year, our players will have to play hard and I know at least one player of ours (tip: he has got big hair) who didn't yesterday.

Maybe it's not that bad that we lost this game. Obviously I would have rather won it, but perhaps some of our players and fans were beginning to believe the hype. While it's nice to hear good things about Everton in the media (like we could get Champions League etc), we aren't as great as we were hyped to be and a lot of other teams (Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea, Fulham, WBA and the likes) aren't as average as some of our fans and perhaps even players seem to think. If we are going to do well this year, our players will have to play hard and I know at least one player of ours (tip: he has got big hair) who didn't yesterday.

Newcastle, Sunderland, and WBA are average. Fulham (Berba) and Swansea (Laudrup) are a bit worrisome due to the summer they've had. That said Everton should on paper be beating all these sides.

Newcastle have had a good team for the last decade at least more or less. 3rd place in 2002-2003, 4th in 2003-2004 I remember, and even after Robson stepped down, they still maintained a good side that were always able to challenge, so Yes I wouldn't call them an average side so to speak. I thought before time that we would overcome Albion though, bit of a shock above all else, but we didn't play as well as we have recently seen, and fair play to them, they deserved their win.

Newcastle has a lot stronger team. Especially on midfield and in the attack.

Newcastle got lucky last year, both strikers played all 3 games and have only got 1 goal between them. Lightning doesn't strike twice, they'll need the luck of last year to even finish top half. Only 2 players of theirs, Ben Arfa and Cabaye, would get in our starting 11. Looking at the squad they have Williamson, Anita, Obertan and the Ameobi brothers as the next in line, non of them would make our bench.

Newcastle got lucky last year, both strikers played all 3 games and have only got 1 goal between them. Lightning doesn't strike twice, they'll need the luck of last year to even finish top half. Only 2 players of theirs, Ben Arfa and Cabaye, would get in our starting 11. Looking at the squad they have Williamson, Anita, Obertan and the Ameobi brothers as the next in line, non of them would make our bench.

Coloccini, Krul, Tioté, Cabaye, Ba, Cissé, Ben Arfa and Obertan would all be more than worthy of the Everton starting line-up.

Newcastle have had a good team for the last decade at least more or less. 3rd place in 2002-2003, 4th in 2003-2004 I remember, and even after Robson stepped down, they still maintained a good side that were always able to challenge,

5th in 03/04, not fourth....followed by 14th, 7th, 13th, 12th, relegation, promotion, 12th and 5th last year...so not really challenging at all before last year.

With Pete, they got on a roll and got lucky last year, will be found out this I think.

Coloccini, Krul, Tioté, Cabaye, Ba, Cissé, Ben Arfa and Obertan would all be more than worthy of the Everton starting line-up.

Obertan is absolutely awful, I wouldn't even have him in our reserves! Probably wouldn't take Coloccini with the options we have at CB but I'd have the others.

Edited by Romey 1878

A head of who?

Howard = Krul

Hibbert >Taylor---Jags > Taylor---Distin > Colo---Baines > Santon

Naismith < Arfa---Gibson < Cabaye---Osman > Tiote---Pienaar = Gutierez

Fellaini > Ba

Jelavic = Cisse

A head of who?

Howard = Krul

Hibbert >Taylor---Jags > Taylor---Distin > Colo---Baines > Santon

Naismith < Arfa---Gibson < Cabaye---Osman > Tiote---Pienaar = Gutierez

Fellaini > Ba

Jelavic = Cisse

Osman better than Tioté? tongue.png Jelly as good as Cissé? tongue.png And why are you comparing a midfielder like Fella to a striker like Ba? smile.png And it is my honest opinion that Coloccini is better than Distin, but I understand not everyone would share that opinion.

Edited by Mirallas

Osman better than Tioté? tongue.png Jelly as good as Cissé? tongue.png And why are you comparing a midfielder like Fella to a striker like Ba? smile.png And it is my honest opinion that Coloccini is better than Distin, but I understand not everyone would share that opinion.

Obviously don't watch much of Everton if you think Tiote is better than Osman. There's not much between Cisse (can score from nothing) and Jela (one touch finisher), but given the choice to swap, I'd stick. If we had a less creative team I'd swap for Cisse. Coloccini wouldn't get a look in considering we have Heitinga as well.

Obviously don't watch much of Everton if you think Tiote is better than Osman. There's not much between Cisse (can score from nothing) and Jela (one touch finisher), but given the choice to swap, I'd stick. If we had a less creative team I'd swap for Cisse. Coloccini wouldn't get a look in considering we have Heitinga as well.

Tiote and Osman are totally different players. Tiote would get into our team most weeks if we had him - in fact he would have been the perfect tough tackling/ good distribution central midfielder we need now!

Tiote and Osman are totally different players. Tiote would get into our team most weeks if we had him - in fact he would have been the perfect tough tackling/ good distribution central midfielder we need now!

We might have Odjidja. Seems to fit that mould. So does Fellaini if we brought him back into midfield (which we will now that Gibbo looks injured)

We might have Odjidja. Seems to fit that mould. So does Fellaini if we brought him back into midfield (which we will now that Gibbo looks injured)

Odjidja couldn't even tackle a yorkshire terrier. He is definitely not what you would call a combative type of player. And when he doesn't really feel motivated, which has happened too often lately at Club Bruges, his passing also simply sucks.

He's a quality player, very telanted, he can be good at winning duels, great at dribbling, and scored his share of goals. He just needs more of a fighter spirit and I believe Everton can give him that. But when you look at his set of qualities he looks mre like an offensive than a defensive midfiender, but I think people put him in a box-to-box position, cause sometimes he tends to lack a killer instinct and a will to win a game.

I think Krul was arguably the best goalkeeper in the league last season so I'd have him ahead of Howard, especially as he's still very young too. Personally I think Coloccini would start here too, but I can understand people who'd prefer our options as they're quality too, still Coloccini is a top player. Vurnon Anita and Cheik Tioté are both very good defensive midfielders and would both start here in that position imo. If we play Fellaini further up the pitch, we don't even have a real ball-winner in midfield. I'd have Cabaye over Gibson as Cabaye is a more mobile player. As much as I like Osman, I'd definitely have Ben Arfa over him as he really is a top class player. Cissé, Ba and Jelavic all three have a track record of scoring goals. Jelavic is a great striker, but so are Ba and Cissé.

Vurnon Anita and Cheik Tioté are both very good defensive midfielders and would both start here in that position imo. If we play Fellaini further up the pitch, we don't even have a real ball-winner in midfield. I'd have Cabaye over Gibson as Cabaye is a more mobile player. As much as I like Osman, I'd definitely have Ben Arfa over him as he really is a top class player.

Why are you comparing Osman and Ben Arfa?

Given the choice of Tiote, Cabaye, Osman, and Gibson. What 2 would be the best duo for in the middle?

Why are you comparing Osman and Ben Arfa?

Given the choice of Tiote, Cabaye, Osman, and Gibson. What 2 would be the best duo for in the middle?

Because Osman plays most of his games on the wing for us.

And I think Tioté-Cabaye are a more balanced and better option than Gibson and Osman.

Because Osman plays most of his games on the wing for us.

And I think Tioté-Cabaye are a more balanced and better option than Gibson and Osman.

He shouldn't, he has only played there so much, because we had no one else - happened with Arteta as well. Osman's best performances are all in the middle and over shadow any performance I've seen from the rest.

Osman and Cabaye offer the most quality for me. With Gibson and Tiote being useful depending on the opposition.

Edited by pete0