IGNORED

Neville no Pirlo but....

Memmaclub

Not soley aimed at Yourself in this thread Avin but it does seem that way to Me bud or it could be that I'm shattered and reading it the wrong way happy.png

I'm not anti Neville but with the likes of Mirallas Naismith Junior Oviedo and Gueye granted two of those are pretty much untested We have options even by adding one and having a little shuffle could work out better.

It's also no so much Neville himself that concerns Me it's the pairing of Him and Ossie they are simply like chalk and cheese and don't work well nor compliment each other.

I tend to honour the old saying 'Don't point out problems unless you have a solution'.

We are playing very well at the moment, and everything is positive and rosey. We are doing this 'with' Nev in the team. If we take him out, how can we be sure it won't have a negative effect? Moyes would not play him if there were better options, so we must presume that for now, he is our best option.

If we look at the job that Nev does, it's more than first meets the eye, and sometimes it's the experience that counts. Why else would Scholes still be getting games? They tend to do the right thing, and be in the right places, which prevents the opposition from succeeding, and often it goes unnoticed, but to only knock players and rarely congratulate them is a bit poor.

Fans have favourite players. How many slated Fellaini for being shit beyond belief in the 3rd match? At the moment, we are finding great ways to play, and Nev, although not being exciting, certainly hasn't been shit either.

Edited by Avinalaff

You said it, obvious weaknesses!! And Neville is! How the hell are we going to know if our youth are any good if we don't try them, like you said it's an obvious weaknesses, it's not So if we are asking for fellini or baines to be dropped to try out someone else, we are asking that a consistently poor performer be dropped from the starting line up. It couldn't be any worse could it?? smile.png

As fans, we don't need to know. As managers, and back room staff, they monitor the players continually. If they were ready, Moyes would know. The chances are that Barkley must be close, or Moyes would not send him out. I think he will figure soon for us, but not yet.

I also disagree that Neville is consistently poor.

We start the season this well, we win 3-0 playing great football with a team missing Jelavic and Gibson and Coleman at right back and people still complain?!

And then suggestions of changing our system?

We are third in the league after five games. We are normally in the bottom half at this point. I thought I was pessimistic but I can't believe some of this.

It's like Brian Clough at Leeds. "Your winning but need to win better!"

We start the season this well, we win 3-0 playing great football with a team missing Jelavic and Gibson and Coleman at right back and people still complain?!

We are third in the league after five games. We are normally in the bottom half at this point. I thought I was pessimistic but I can't believe some of this.

No single formation/tactics/selection is perfect for 38 games, plus Swansea could have easily scored 3 goals so even in that 3-0 and we played them off the park Moyes will address that and rightly so. Yes, we've had a good start, but there is always room for improvement.

People aren't complaining, it's a thread about Phil Neville, and his play! Some people think he's doing okay some don't, I think those who don't, are worried that he could let the side down, and on occasion he has been fortunate not to, and if we had someone decent in that position then 3rd place might have been 2nd or even 1st at the moment! Yes we are all buzzing that we are in the top three, but it's a long season, and some of us would like to see that area of the starting line up to be more reliable

OK, let's put Junior in.

"Get your tracky top off Junior, you're on lad." says Stevie.

"Orver mar did fekn bordy he az" says Davey in his best Yorkshire Scottish accent. "Wee guy'z nay plaid a feckn Prim gaym inniz lafe, anny ayn't gittinina heada bag Nev".

"OK Dave, I guess that's settled then. Nev it is".

Close thread. wink.png

Are there any OPTA stats for Neville from games where he's been in a holding role? My impression is that he does his job there reasonably well. If we asking him to get up the pitch and be creative then we're lost, but that's not what he's having to do at the moment. He would never get in ahead of Gibson but I don't see a better option while Gibson is out. Fellaini is too effective up front at the moment for us.

His strengths:

attitude

motivator

vocal

focus

tackling

His weakness:

poor touch

poor pass selection and range

slow

tends to hoof

poor in the air

It all points to an old fashioned full back.

We have little to lose in putting Junior in there - and everything to gain.

When fit as a defensive midfielder: Gibson>Junior>Neville

Haf, how many times have you seen Junior play?

There lies the problem Av - not enough!

http://theexecutionersbong.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/junior-ready-to-be-moyes-midfield-soprano/

Based on what some fans whose opinions I value, he is a better option than Neville.

Moyes sees them all the time in training and is best placed to make the right decision. But that doesnt mean he always makes the right decisions.

He does have his favourites as we have seen with Saha, Cahill, Jags. Nev is deffo a player he loves and I think it is because he shows similar traits to Moyes. It's human nature.

I have seen a few bits of junior and would say he isnt ready for the prem just yet. He needs a few cameo's to get him up to speed.

Seems very energetic and fleet footed, but he uses speed and skill to ghost past players and looks like he would struggle with the physical side at the moment.

Now what i would say is that when seeing him i looked closely at the incidents where he didnt go past a player or when he went into tackles and he seemed one of those players that takes a shoulder and loses balance, but somehow seems to drag the ball with them! i couldnt make out if this was one of those lucky drags, or whether he is stronger than he looks. If it is his strenght then it bodes well for us.

He reminds of Barkley a lot as he seems ready to take that next step, but just seems to be holding off or maybe even trying to hard to get it right.

Only place for Nev in the team for mine is at RB, and even then he's on limited time with Coleman to take that spot soon.

For those arguing there's no better solution, why not take a punt on a youngster? Even if they're not ready or up for the prem yet, Neville clearly isn't up to the Prem any more either. At least we'll get many a season out of a youngster who will improve than one or two more seasons out of Nev who will only decline.

OK, let's put Junior in.

"Get your tracky top off Junior, you're on lad." says Stevie.

"Orver mar did fekn bordy he az" says Davey in his best Yorkshire Scottish accent. "Wee guy'z nay plaid a feckn Prim gaym inniz lafe, anny ayn't gittinina heada bag Nev".

"OK Dave, I guess that's settled then. Nev it is".

Close thread. wink.png

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

So you want to change something that is working well in order to fix something that isn't? huh.png

So you also want to change something that is working well, and on top of that destroy the Pienaar and Baines partnership? huh.png

Lundstram or Junior?

So we drop our most experienced player for our least experienced players ? I really can't see that one happening.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to leave well alone until Gibson returns, with the possible Osman / Naismith rotation, and make a decision on who plays in defence, as I really don't get why Distin was dropped and not Jags. Short of Heitinga playing in the middle, Moyes needs to patch up our defensive issues, and leave the rest alone, as it's been a long time since things worked this well, even if there are obvious weaknesses.

Neville is really doing anything to show his great experience at the mo. Look at the stupid ball he played to Coleman against Swansea and the raft of poor challenges and miscontrols and wayward passes tonight. He does a job, some days better than others but in games where there is the opportunity to try someone else then we should try it.

Look at tonight, we should have had the same set up but with different players. Neville didnt need to come on, but Pienaar did. Junior should have been playing his role and not trying to break forward and make runs into the box. That should have been either Felli in the 1st or Pienaar in the 2nd. Junior should have been there to sweep up and break up play whilst distributing the ball to the better players when he had possession. Its a shame really because we didnt learn anything about him and no doubt his confidence would have taken a hit.

Neville is really doing anything to show his great experience at the mo. Look at the stupid ball he played to Coleman against Swansea and the raft of poor challenges and miscontrols and wayward passes tonight. He does a job, some days better than others but in games where there is the opportunity to try someone else then we should try it.

Look at tonight, we should have had the same set up but with different players. Neville didnt need to come on, but Pienaar did. Junior should have been playing his role and not trying to break forward and make runs into the box. That should have been either Felli in the 1st or Pienaar in the 2nd. Junior should have been there to sweep up and break up play whilst distributing the ball to the better players when he had possession. Its a shame really because we didnt learn anything about him and no doubt his confidence would have taken a hit.

So we drop Nev, get beat, and you still find a way to blame him? crying%20smiley.gif