IGNORED

Has the Everton bubble burst ?

Avinalaff

Has the Everton bubble burst ?

For me at least, no.

All that has happened in my own opinion is that the expectancy levels of the fans have been raised, and we are now looking at our form from the perspective of falling world beaters, rather than the much clear headed perspective of the stop start progression of a team destined for better things.

Had Everton been playing the drab boring football of some, then we could probably have good reason to be supportively depressed, but if we are to look at the bigger picture, we are playing some quite outstanding football, and not quite getting the results we deserve.

Much has been down to very poor refereeing decisions, which have cost us dearly this season, and much has been down to our own inability to take the extra step, and win the game, be it because of carelessness, or a lack of luck. I'm not sure it's because of a lack of effort.

What I'm certainly sure about, is that it isn't due to David Moyes, and it's important not to focus on negativity, and instead focus on everything positive that is happening at present.

How do we turn negative thinking in to positive thinking?

Take the Fellaini / Baines concerns for example. We worry that these players will get sold, or will want to leave, when what we should be doing is finding positive thought in the fact that we have some of the leagues / worlds best players in our team, on long term contracts, and the rest of the world know it. Our problem is we are not used to the constant spotlight that this attracts, and panic every time our players are linked to outside interest.

It is normal that other clubs will desire our players, and the better they are, the more they will be desired, so instead of worrying, walk with a swagger that they play for us, not them, and the very worst that can happen is that if they ever do leave, it will likely be for very big sums of money, which for a team in our financial position, is yet another positive.

More positive thinking, is that not a single team has been able to live with us in terms of when we are playing our best football, regardless of the final result, so bearing this in mind, we are definitley heading in the right direction, and it is important to let Moyes analyze the situation, and make little tweaks here and there, until he gets it just right, which I'm sure he will.

Staying positive, we have Fellaini back next game, and probably Mirallas, Gibson, and Hibbert will be fit, so much to look forward to in terms of our options, and Hitzlsperger and Oviedo have looked very good too, so when was the last time we could get so excited about our squad?

Ossie has just been called up for England, so there is another plus point, which should boost 'his' confidence, and his form, so no negatives there. Coleman has also been getting caps, not to mention the other lads, and talking about Coleman, the lad has been great for us since he came, so big deal if he makes the odd mistake. Let's not forget what we paid for him, and what he gives us.

Barkley is back with the squad after a decent loan spell, so another thing to be positive about there, and we have a few new faces on the bench too, so all in all, much to keep us smiling.

Sure, we've dropped a few points, but we are still above Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Fulham, and Newcastle despite our recent run, and playing better football than any of them.

Next, we get the chance to raise our game against Arsenal and City, and in the past, it's these games that have ignited our season form, and it may just be the case again, so let them worry about us.

We used to moan that Moyes was predictable, and we could set our clocks to the time of his substitutions. Now, some guys are moaning because he hasn't changed things on 70 minutes, which is a little funny in an ironic way.

Our bubble hasn't burst in my opinion. We've simply paused to draw breath, before making it bigger.

Gibson is a massive player for us - initially we coped well in his absence but it is clear now that teams are coming through us too easily. I think we need to go back to Felli and Gibbo (I change my mind re. Felli's role weekly!) with 3 of Ossie/Pienaar/Mirallas/Oviedo/Naismith playing off Jelavic in the 4-2-3-1 formation we are playing. Felli and Gibbo will help us dominate the middle and hopefully keep leads! I'd actually like to see us go out and get another striker in Jan who is ready to compete with Jela as I think he needs that on the back of his form this season.

Edited by c1982

No, the bubble has not burst. We are just going through a sticky patch at the moment due to not having strength in depth within the squad, never mind it looks as if we will have to muddle on until Jan when hopefully we can add a few more faces in terms of loan deals. I don't want players who can not trap a bag of cement by the way. shaking fist.png I want players who can pass the ball accurately and have a football brain.

There wasn't any bubble to begin with.

In the simplest terms, the team has missed out on points accumulation in recent weeks, either because mainly,

A Chances were not coverted or opportunities spurned

B The referee was inept or inefficient

C The team didn't show enough attacking emphasis at crucial parts of the game/s

Add to that, Moyes remains consistent in making some bizarre changes or thinking, relevant areas need some adjustment or reinforcement, The team may be unsettled by constant speculation that their star asset may be leaving in the New Year window if demands are not met, and the more chances are missed and oppositions get a result from us, the deeper it may start to effect.

I don't think we're in the grip of anything too serious, not quite standing on the deck of the Titanic 10 minutes after a mid water incident. Yes we have been disappointed lately in that some smaller opposition have taken points, the match officials have been largely sub standard, but that has to change sooner or later (or will it is one concern), and the team has been wasteful in front of goal or conceded late goals at the other end, but at least we have made chances to score. I'd rather see them missed than not have them at all to begin with.

This has nothing to do with bubbles or Fairy Liquid or anything, merely the team has gone through a bad spell recently, dropped points against some inferior opposition, match officials have been themselves, and while we have some difficult games coming up, the capabilities are there to do something and give something back to supporters. Yes we should ideally be in charge of a champions league berth by now, but there is still ample opportunity to find ourselves back in that capacity and most probably, will at least have a UEFA cup place by end of season, even if it will, most likely be another year without an actual trophy won. We have players to return, a very good squad overall, some may not like Moyes, but we have made progress this calendar year, played some attacking play and there is reason for optimism or to believe there will be some end product at end of season by getting back into Europe.

We need Gibson back, we need Felli, Pienaar and Mirallas healthy (for creativity and to help Jelavic), and we need to tighten up at back. In perspective, being this high after 13 matches is great, however lately we have been dropping points to the likes of Wigan, QPR, Reading, and Norwich, which we should pick up 3 points against sides like these. We still have to play Man City twice, Arsenal twice, Spurs twice, Man U at Old Trafford, and Chelsea twice.... No easy task.

we have to stop the rot and turn the tide - after a good start Everton has been treading water and even sinking a bit lately - it is all good and well staying positive - but the negative trend needs to be recognized and adressed in a proper fashion - death always has a cause - and we have to find it before it is too late for tears - drifting sideways for too long will land you on the rocks sooner or later- we lack urgency and pace in our game - too much patience leads to procrastination - players seem to pace themselves rather than giving 100% all the time - maybe they know they are not going to be substituted -

where is Anichebe? - he has a 100% scoring average in the 2 full games that he played - he cant do worse than Jelavic at this stage

I just dont think the players are comfortable with going out there and being expected to win. As we have worked out ourselves with the 'Felli for captain' thread, we dont actually have that many leaders and certainly not ones who stand up and be counted when we need to finish off a game. We lack a cutting edge, we lack some belief and we lack arrogance. We have dominated and outplayed teams put we dont seem to be able to put them to the sword.

I am actually looking forward to this tough run of games we have coming up because I think the players will relish the challenge. Without wanting to sound like Mystic Meg, I predict that not only will we pick up more points in our next 3 league games (Arsenal, Spurs & City) than we have in our last 3, I think we will could potentially run riot against one of them (probably Arsenal and/or Spurs).

Guest rusty747

I just dont think the players are comfortable with going out there and being expected to win. As we have worked out ourselves with the 'Felli for captain' thread, we dont actually have that many leaders and certainly not ones who stand up and be counted when we need to finish off a game. We lack a cutting edge, we lack some belief and we lack arrogance. We have dominated and outplayed teams put we dont seem to be able to put them to the sword.

I am actually looking forward to this tough run of games we have coming up because I think the players will relish the challenge. Without wanting to sound like Mystic Meg, I predict that not only will we pick up more points in our next 3 league games (Arsenal, Spurs & City) than we have in our last 3, I think we will could potentially run riot against one of them (probably Arsenal and/or Spurs).

I hope you are right Bailey. My view is that we are only comfortable (Manager and Team) when we are wearing the underdogs title. When we are expected to go out and win there is something major missing. You can call it belief, confidence, arrogance or whatever you like but its missing and until we get a new mental approach (from Manager downwards) we will imho always be nearly good enough to win something but never quite able to make that final improvement. We have the players and, I believe, we have the squad. What we don't have is the right mental approach.

Edited by rusty747

Arsenal will be our 14th Premiership game this season, just as it was last year.

Let's look at the 2 seasons so far:

2011-12 : Played 13 - Points 16 - Won 5 - Drawn 1 - Lost 7 - Scored 15 - Conceded - 16 - Goal difference -1 (Home form 2 wins - 1 Draws - 3 losses) (Away 3 wins - 4 losses)

2012-13 : Played 13 - Points 21 - Won 5 - Drawn 6 - Lost 2 - Scored 23 - Conceded - 17 - Goal difference +6 (Home form 4 wins - 2 Draws - 0 losses) (Away Won 1 - Draws 4 - losses 2)

Teams Played Last Year:

QPR

Blackburn

Villa

Wigan

City

Liverpool

Chelsea

Fulham

United

Newcastle

Wolves

Bolton

Teams Played This Year:

United

Villa

W Brom

Newcastle

Swansea

Southampton

Wigan

QPR

Liverpool

Fulham

Sunderland

Reading

Norwich

Last year, we had played United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Fulham.

This year, we've played United, Liverpool, Newcastle, Liverpool, Fulham, and a strong W Brom, but yet to play Chelsea or City.

Not too much difference in the standard of teams we've faced but a positive difference in the points we've gained. So it bodes quite well, especially if we can sort our problems out.

We were in 8th or 9th this time last year too.

I think we need to take West Brom seriously, as they also finished in the top 10 last season. This year though is a mixed bag, as Newcastle and Liverpool are struggling by their own standards, as are Arsenal and Spurs, so our league placing is as much to do with nobody taking a grip yet outside the biggest 3 clubs.

Last year we didn't have Pienaar, Jelavich, Oviedo, Naismith, Mirallas or Hitzlsperger.

Last year we didn't have Pienaar, Jelavich, Oviedo, Naismith, Mirallas or Hitzlsperger.

Or Gibson. Our dip over the last 2-3 weeks has coincided with a number of our most influential players being unavailable. No coincidence there. It's also coincided with Jelavic being not so prolific as he has been to date. All strikers have a lean spell - wait until Suarez has his biggrin.png

Or Gibson. Our dip over the last 2-3 weeks has coincided with a number of our most influential players being unavailable. No coincidence there. It's also coincided with Jelavic being not so prolific as he has been to date. All strikers have a lean spell - wait until Suarez has his biggrin.png

Indeed, Gibson too.

Jelavic will score again, but we've never relied on strikers to score goals here.

Take a look at the scorers last season to realise how shite the strikers were before January.

http://www.evertonresults.com/201112.htm

I hope you are right Bailey. My view is that we are only comfortable (Manager and Team) when we are wearing the underdogs title. When we are expected to go out and win there is something major missing. You can call it belief, confidence, arrogance or whatever you like but its missing and until we get a new mental approach (from Manager downwards) we will imho always be nearly good enough to win something but never quite able to make that final improvement. We have the players and, I believe, we have the squad. What we don't have is the right mental approach.

Completely agree. Although in fairness to Moyes, he has been more optimistic this year. He has talked about us in Europe when normally he is fearing relegation. For the most part, we are set-up to win games as opposed to keep it 0-0 til half time. There is still a long way to go, but I suppose it is a start!

It is true, so to speak.

In that we come together and play well around Spring and take it on into the end of season. Imagine if that remained consistent right from the off instead of in the last third, and we'd be virtually guaranteed of Champions League soccer each season, instead of a rush to a UEFA cup place, or just missing out. I still maintain a Champions League place is just beyond us, or will be, at the end of season. I don't need to elaborate on that, you've seen the last few weeks for yourselves. Pity really as if not for all the mistakes and errors and wasted opportunities just recently, we could be in a much better position right now to challenge for a higher prize.

I think our over reliance on our top players has shone through a little bit but regardless of that we should be on 29 points and sat in second place. Hopefully thid run and possibly if it continues due to upcoming fixtures might ensure the board to get a couple of bodies in.

I think it's maybe more 'could' than 'should' to the above ? But second place right now, would be something, but even then, we are still in a very good position to challenge, but the spade work was done from August through early Autumn, we have simply fallen away since then.

You made it sound at the end there as though we're running an Undertaker's business. (The board want bodies in etc)

That wasn't a 'funny'

When the whole squad is fit, I would back us to beat just about any team in the league, and even give City a run for their money. When we started the season we had all guns blazing, the usual left hand side partnership, Coleman and Mirallas carving up the right side and Felli bringing the ball down through the centre and playing off. Once Gibbo is back, he and Osman or Hitzlsperger (2 of the 3) can hold the midfield whilst Felli pushes up, and we'll have that attacking potency back again.

For now I'm putting it down to injuries and a few referee decisions here or there. I still think with the squad fully fit we're one of the best in the league. All that said, keep in mind how many points we've had taken from us from a poor refereeing decision, and then how many we've had taken at the death when we deserved a win.

No need to panic me thinks, just get on with the season and start playing consistently (not for the 1 point though). Arsenal and Spurs to me don't look like they're going to do much this season, and with two pretty conservative clubs you'd wonder how much they'll put into the January transfer window after the Summer transfers they both had. West Brom will probably fall (although I'd love a dark horse to challenge for top 5), and Chelsea are going to have a hard time with a new manager that the players and the fans are rejecting.

I'd really like to see them fall away and go back to how they were circa 1996, but so long as Ambramovich is about and money is available, they will be an ever present in the upper echelons of the league, to some frustration. But he can't remain in place forever, and the supporters must be tired of seeing managers gone so frequently, but that's really their business.

If WBA can get a European Cup place, however improbable it may be, more power to them, I can't dispute.