IGNORED

Positions that need reinforcement

Sinclair is turd end of. McCarthy is not a £12 mill player but has the potential to be. Can see Robbie going for a Spanish equivalent that costs half. He must have a wish lish list as long as his cock about players he wanted at wigan. And yes I reckon he is PACKING!!!

Set in stone:

Howard - has cover in Mucha

Coleman - has cover in Hibbert and Jags

Jags - needs more cover

Baines - has cover in Oviedo

Fellaini - no cover

Gibson - no cover

Pienaar - no cover (poss Oviedo)

Mirallas - cover in Osman

For me, Hibbert, Heitinga, Distin, Osman, Anichebe, Jelavic etc are not guaranteed their places anymore, either because of age of inconsistency.

I think Bill was naïve to publically say he was going to give Martinez money if we don't already have targets in place. It's possible we 'do' already have some deals on the table already done though. I think the money available in the January window was probably put on hold for the new manager, knowing Moyes was off.

Set in stone:

Howard - has cover in Mucha

Coleman - has cover in Hibbert and Jags

Jags - needs more cover

Baines - has cover in Oviedo

Fellaini - no cover

Gibson - no cover

Pienaar - no cover (poss Oviedo)

Mirallas - cover in Osman

For me, Hibbert, Heitinga, Distin, Osman, Anichebe, Jelavic etc are not guaranteed their places anymore, either because of age of inconsistency.

I think Bill was naïve to publically say he was going to give Martinez money if we don't already have targets in place. It's possible we 'do' already have some deals on the table already done though. I think the money available in the January window was probably put on hold for the new manager, knowing Moyes was off.

Mucha's contract is up. Apparently he was a big earner too.

Edited by Steve_E

Unfortunately we can't just buy one or two world stars to fix our weaknesses -

our squad is too small and the average age is too high -

we need to go for 5 or 6 reasonably priced youngish players if we want to rotate and make Europe -

if we can get a few Wigan stars already suited to Martinez style of play fairly cheaply it will make us much more sustainable and competitive -

I would look at Mcmannaman , Mccarthy , Kone , Espinoza and maybe Maloney - any of them will strengthen our squad -

do yourselves a favour and try and have another look at Espinoza the Honduran international and midfielder who joined Wigan in January - 25 years old and a handful -

he covers the whole field and has a mean ability to make long accurate passes - will work well with Baines and Pienaar on the left

Kenwright has confirmed there's a clause in the contract. Most journalists seem to agree that it's either 22 or 24m (depending on whether the team's in the Champions League or not).

Just read it online, yes.

Mixed feelings, as he is a money earner for the club. Arsenal with get much of it back on merchandise sales.

If we were run like a commercially sound football club like One of England's most historic and successful clubs should be then yea players like felli would earn us money.

The reality is we aren't. Still traipsing behind some seriously average names in that regard. Even if we had beckham and messi we would struggle to get a fraction of what clubs like united, Liverpool, arsenal would do with their marketing nous and contracts.

If we were run like a commercially sound football club like One of England's most historic and successful clubs should be then yea players like felli would earn us money.

The reality is we aren't. Still traipsing behind some seriously average names in that regard. Even if we had beckham and messi we would struggle to get a fraction of what clubs like united, Liverpool, arsenal would do with their marketing nous and contracts.

Even if we had the likes of Messi we'd still sign deals like the Kitbag one where we see no benefit whatsoever :dry: .

I was more after the condensed version.

our deal before was losing us money if I remember correctly. The new deal guaranteed 3m a year but the contract is 10yrs long (were 4 years in). Relative to other teams its peanuts despite it being a big improvement.

Ask Haf, he can definitely talk you through why its shite :lol:

our deal before was losing us money if I remember correctly. The new deal guaranteed 3m a year but the contract is 10yrs long (were 4 years in). Relative to other teams its peanuts despite it being a big improvement.

Ask Haf, he can definitely talk you through why its shite :lol:

It's shite because, once again, it shows no forward thinking. Only the here and now.

When looking at potential players who are coming in and out of the club you have to think about the type of player Martinez would want at the club.

To start with, Howard's position will be in grave danger. He has been a good consistent performer for us but the errors are creeping in and importantly for how Martinez will want us to play, his distribution is really poor for a top flight keeper. If we want to keep the ball better we need a keeper who can use the ball properly. Al Habsi has been mentioned but considering Martinez preferred Joel ahead of him it suggests to me that Martinez may try and pluck him from Atletico. He made a couple of novicey errors (such as the one against Spurs, but he also made some brilliant saves. I doubt he would cost much more than 1-2mil.

At the back Martinez will want to have at least 3 strong technically gifted and quick centre backs. They need to be quick in order to keep a high line and press the opposition. Given Heitinga's contract situation I think that will be the end of him. Im sure Jags will be integral to Martinez's plans even if his passing does go astray at times. I dont think he will want Distin to be starting too many games and Im not sure how will Duffy will fit into his plans unless he has found a yard of pace since I last saw him. I dont know much about Stones so therefore I think we will be shopping around for at least 1 but probably 2 centre backs this summer and they need to be quick, to read the game well and also be comfortable on the ball. I dont know too many that fit this bill but there will be some out there!

The full backs look solid with Coleman and Hibbert on one side and Baines and Oviedo on the other.

In midfield our realistic options are Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini, Gibson, Barkley. A lot of our transfer budget will depend on Felli leaving but I get the feeling that he wont. In my opinion Osman and Pienaar should 'role share' throughout the season (assuming we dont get plagues by injuries) because they are both past their best but also both more than capable of putting in big performances when they are needed. Ideally we dont want to be starting them in the same game too often. A midfield three of Fellaini, Gibson and Osman/Pienaar/Barkley would be perfect. I think that would be the best way to get the most out of the three players with the former two playing deeper and then one of the other three slightly advanced. Over the next 12-18 months we will need to bring in at least 2 or maybe even 3 players through. McCarthy is the ideal type of candidate for the deeper role but his price tag is probably too high now. The other player needs to be someone in the Eriksen mould who can make things happen. He is a player I admire but he also looks out of our price range.

On the wings we only really have Mirallas and potentially Kennedy. Osman & Pienaar can do a job, especially the latter but you get the best out of them in the middle of the pitch. Yet again we really need to strengthen in this area and depending on who comes into the heart of midfield we would probably need one or two purchases/loans. Im not a fan of Sinclair but at a certain price he could do that job. Wages may be an issue but he has a certain amount of talent and at the very least we should be able to get a ecomically viable loan to buy deal out of it. I have said it before somewhere else, but now Martinez is in N'Zogbia could also be a good purchase for a small fee. He has plenty of talent but Martinez is the only one who has really been able to get that out of him. Moses may even be on the agenda. Chelsea fans dont seem to think he is good enough for them but I think he is a class act who again came to prominence under Martinez at Wigan. He may not be in Mourinho's plans and if not we should be able to get a knock down fee.

The big headache comes up front. I think we will play with one main striker and while I think Jelavic has it in him to score goals at the top level consistently, his showing this season simply hasnt been good enough. Vic works hard but we cant rely on him to get us into Europe and whilst the likes of Vellios and McAlaney have shown promise we don't really know how good they are and if we can rely on them. I wouldnt be disappointed if we got rid of both our main strikers this summer if we got 5-6mil for each. I cant see them both going but unless one of them improves dramatically in the next 12months I cant see them being here for the start of next season (2014-15). Its hard to assess who can come in but we need a player who has good close control, can hold the ball up to bring other into play as well as some pace and strength. Benteke and Lukaku would probably top most people's lists but they will probably be too expensive although depending on Mourinho's plans at Chelsea, we may be able to get the latter on loan. Kone wouldnt be a bad buy at all, he has all the attributes I mentioned plus he can is also quite creative whether it be picking a pass or taking a shot on. Altidore looked like he had matured a lot recently based on a lot of what I have read about him and again he may not be a bad purchase for a relatively modest fee.

Whatever happens this summer I am filled with excitement rather than the normal dread!

I have seen somewhere that Liverpool might also now be interested in Kone -

personally I would go for him as soon as possible

I think he would be a sensible purchase but nothing more than that. Like Steve_E rightly mentioned in a different thread we need to try and find someone who can score 15-20 goals a season and while I do think Kone would be a better and more consistent option than Vic or Jela he is again a player that can only take you so far.

Who ? :happy:

I'm sorry, I'm not a scout well-paid by Everton to know the answer to that question. But I'm sure that somewhere in either Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Greece, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Brazil or wherever, we'll be able to find a better one than Franco Di Santo.