IGNORED

Dave Hickson (1929-2013)

"I would have died for Everton, I would have broke every other bone in my body for any other club, that's how I look at it, you know, if it was that much I would have died for this club."

A true Everton legend. I've seen him on the pitch a few times and he always got a great reception. RIP to him and thoughts and well wishes to his family and friends.

Guest blueboy122

Dave Hickson's grandson used to be a member on this forum actually and I also used to go to high school with him many years ago. Met Dave a few times and his wife, true gent.

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought something might be amiss but never envisaged anything of this magnitude.

Sad news indeed, a real proper player if ever there was one, and nothing like most of these over protected, wrapped in cotton wool fucking fruits you see on the field these days. There's not many players in the history of Everton Football Club you can classify as actual legends, but Hickson was deserving of that status. The club today lost another great, but some would believe, gone to join other former fine players we had such as William Dean, Brian Labone and Alan Ball etc. A sad day for everyone associated with the club.

My sympathies to his immediate family at this difficult time. RIP Mr Hickson

"I would have died for Everton, I would have broke every other bone in my body for any other club, that's how I look at it, you know, if it was that much I would have died for this club."

A true Everton legend. I've seen him on the pitch a few times and he always got a great reception. RIP to him and thoughts and well wishes to his family and friends.

sure i've seen that quote on someone's sig round here....either way sums up what the man was by all accounts...if only players still felt like that

Dave was the epitome of the man who put his life on the line for his club, fans and fellow players.

I just caught the end of his career at Goodison as I was young (once).

Saw a pic once of him full length, a foot off the ground, with his head into a bunch of flying boots to get a head on a fast low cross. These were the days of heavy leather boots with leather studs nailed into the sole and with a toe cap somewhat like today's safety boots....sometimes with the nails showing!

Bravery of the highest order and a gentleman by all accounts.

RIP

great snap, and most poignant too.

I was giving some thought to Mr Hickson earlier today and just how many actual 'legend' names this club actually has remaining. I'd put Southall in there as I think he's deserving of that status, and then you'd have a legitimate case with others such as Sharp, Ratcliffe, Royle or even Latchford and Young, but for the most part, the last of our truly iconic names may have passed on now. Still a day after the event, sorry to learn of this news, and once again, extend sincere condolences to his immediate family and friends on this recent passing.

• 5 weeks later...